TESTERS WANTED! ×

What constitutes a 'great fitting'

Curious what you think goes into a great fitting and is it the same for different types of clubs - drivers, irons etc.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think a great fitting constitutes a few things.

First off, you need someone who has a total understanding of the launch monitor that they are working with and IDEALLY teaches from it. It's one thing to fit all day, but if the fitter takes the time to teach students how to improve their game that is a huge bonus. Ideally you also want someone who is brand agnostic and who doesn't narrow the field of options until YOU do so with your performance. We all bring our own set of variables to the table and just because you would fit into a certain box that the companies have defined doesn't mean that's your best fit.

You also want someone who has a conversation with you about your game, your goals and your current equipment. They should find out what works, what doesn't and why you have trouble with it if you can articulate it. The fitting should focus on all available options in each section of clubs and not cover anything in broad strokes unless there is a legitimate reason for it.

For example. Let's say you go for a fitting and fit into a GBB Epic with the stock shaft. That doesn't mean your 3W/5W/Hybrid should just be the Epic equivalent with the same shaft. You should go through the same type of fitting for each club in your bag (with the exception of irons) to determine that each head/shaft combo is the best fit for you in each club that you bag.

Basically there's nothing wrong at all with having every club and shaft be different. Same with them being the same. In a great fitting you should be able to test everything and have the fitter recommend the optimum setup for you based on your needs and numbers.

You also should go through a full wedge fitting and talk about bag composition. A full putter fitting with custom length/lie/loft and alignment testing as well as distance control. And finally at some point you should have a conversation on what the best golf ball for your game would be, or at the very least test with your current gamer the entire time.

You may find that your gamer is an under performer and another aspect of the fitting would be determining what your optimum choice would be.

Hopefully that helps! 

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Wow thanks for taking the time for the write up. So often I hear it's just about measurements: hand, height, etc. I like the comment also about the individual being a brand agnostic - probably thought to find though.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Wow thanks for taking the time for the write up. So often I hear it's just about measurements: hand, height, etc. I like the comment also about the individual being a brand agnostic - probably thought to find though.

No problem at all my friend! If you give me an idea of where you're located I'm sure we can find something relatively close to you that's brands agnostic. Here's the deal though, in a PERFECT world the fitting would be agnostic, but let's say you have a brand regional fitting center or something around you, going and having a single brand to work within really isn't the end of the world. As long as it's a reputable and high performing brand you're still going to get the overall elements of what I described. The issues (typically speaking) are going to pop up when you visit big box and have someone who doesn't have your best interests at heart (or the knowledge) to fit you properly OR if you visit your local guy who doesn't have a launch monitor/fitting cart and tries to go with the old school fit by eye approach.

It's worth some time in the car to find the right fitter. You may have to pay for the fitting on it's own if you choose to go fully agnostic (say Club Champion/Modern Golf, etc.) But the quality of the fitting is going to be head and shoulders above the rest of the field in terms of quality that honestly at the end of the day it's totally worth making the commitment.

Shameless plug here, but if you haven't read my Modern Golf fitting experience (found HERE) you'll get a pretty good idea of what one of these experiences can look like. Be warned. This was a bucket list trip and NOT CHEAP. But I have my set for the future and it was worth every penny.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

First off, you need someone who has a total understanding of the launch monitor that they are working with and IDEALLY teaches from it. It's one thing to fit all day, but if the fitter takes the time to teach students how to improve their game that is a huge bonus. Ideally you also want someone who is brand agnostic and who doesn't narrow the field of options until YOU do so with your performance. We all bring our own set of variables to the table and just because you would fit into a certain box that the companies have defined doesn't mean that's your best fit.

This is the only part I disagree with.  I don't really want to have my fitter trying to change my swing during a fitting.  Maybe a quick setup adjustment is ok, but other than that I want to get fit for my swing, not the swing he wants me to have.

Like most things there are a lot of different ways to accomplish a fitting.  For me the only thing that matters though is did you end up with the best club or clubs for your game.  I've been through a lot of different fittings over the years and all have been different.  The technology used has been different, the individuals fitting have been different and their processes have been different.  I wouldn't say any one is necessarily better than another though. What matter's is was the fitting effective and did you end up with the proper equipment.

I'll give driver as an example.  I was fit for SLDR at The Kingdom in CA.  My fitter just watched me hit and watched the ball flight.  Made a few adjustments and tried different shafts until he got the ball flight he was looking for.  Then we hopped on a trackman to confirm the results.  It was pretty amazing that he was able to do 95% of the fitting without using any technology.  Last summer I went in for another driver fitting.  This was at the 2ndSwing Tour Van experience.  They use all kinds of technology. Starts with the GEARS system and then impact tape and all on a launch monitor that measure everything you can think of.  I ended up with a recommendation and built that driver exactly to the recommended spec.  I ended up using it half a season and went back to the SLDR.

The first one was a guy using no technology and fitting me for one specific head.  I was getting a SLDR no matter what because it was a launch event and there were no other options for us.  The 2nd one was a brand agnostic fitter with access to just about every head and shaft on the market.  I would say the SLDR fitting was great and the 2ndSwing experience was just good.  It's all about the result.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is the only part I disagree with.  I don't really want to have my fitter trying to change my swing during a fitting.  Maybe a quick setup adjustment is ok, but other than that I want to get fit for my swing, not the swing he wants me to have.

Like most things there are a lot of different ways to accomplish a fitting.  For me the only thing that matters though is did you end up with the best club or clubs for your game.  I've been through a lot of different fittings over the years and all have been different.  The technology used has been different, the individuals fitting have been different and their processes have been different.  I wouldn't say any one is necessarily better than another though. What matter's is was the fitting effective and did you end up with the proper equipment.

I'll give driver as an example.  I was fit for SLDR at The Kingdom in CA.  My fitter just watched me hit and watched the ball flight.  Made a few adjustments and tried different shafts until he got the ball flight he was looking for.  Then we hopped on a trackman to confirm the results.  It was pretty amazing that he was able to do 95% of the fitting without using any technology.  Last summer I went in for another driver fitting.  This was at the 2ndSwing Tour Van experience.  They use all kinds of technology. Starts with the GEARS system and then impact tape and all on a launch monitor that measure everything you can think of.  I ended up with a recommendation and built that driver exactly to the recommended spec.  I ended up using it half a season and went back to the SLDR.

The first one was a guy using no technology and fitting me for one specific head.  I was getting a SLDR no matter what because it was a launch event and there were no other options for us.  The 2nd one was a brand agnostic fitter with access to just about every head and shaft on the market.  I would say the SLDR fitting was great and the 2ndSwing experience was just good.  It's all about the result.

Meyer I agree with the end result ultimately being the most important factor. Obviously comparing head to head one fitting versus another and using hindsight you can use the two experiences to determine which fit was the best for you and which was the better end result for you.

Approaching it from the other side though, where someone hasn't went through multiple fittings and wants to find a solution that gives them the best shot of getting it right from the beginning, I think ultimately that's where the agnostic approach wins out. My statement on someone who teaches from the technology may have been poorly explained by me and not given enough context.

It isn't about the fitter trying to change what you do. It IS however about how the fitter understands how YOU are presenting the numbers and which aspect of your swing make those numbers come to fruition. Based on that understanding they can then effectively determine what shaft, head, etc. will fit you the best over the long term.

Essentially instead of using the data to attempt to "fix" you, they will use the data to understand your swing more efficiently and then fit the product to that swing to give you the best overall performance long term.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Quick question: (as I'm going for an iron/hybrid fitting real soon..)

Should you be fit to:

• the swing you currently have
  • or the swing you should have

Let's say you have an upright swing and the person fits you into clubs with adjustments that help you hit the ball straight and (more) consistent.  If you change your swing so that it isn't as upright, won't the clubs you've been fit into now be incorrect?

And on the flip side...

Let's say you get fit into a set of clubs...but you're still not having as much success as you'd hope so you go for lessons.  At the lesson you get a swing change - now do you need to go get re-fit ?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

You also want someone who has a conversation with you about your game, your goals and your current equipment. They should find out what works, what doesn't and why you have trouble with it if you can articulate it. The fitting should focus on all available options in each section of clubs and not cover anything in broad strokes unless there is a legitimate reason for it.

For example. Let's say you go for a fitting and fit into a GBB Epic with the stock shaft. That doesn't mean your 3W/5W/Hybrid should just be the Epic equivalent with the same shaft. You should go through the same type of fitting for each club in your bag (with the exception of irons) to determine that each head/shaft combo is the best fit for you in each club that you bag.

Basically there's nothing wrong at all with having every club and shaft be different. Same with them being the same. In a great fitting you should be able to test everything and have the fitter recommend the optimum setup for you based on your needs and numbers.

You also should go through a full wedge fitting and talk about bag composition. A full putter fitting with custom length/lie/loft and alignment testing as well as distance control. And finally at some point you should have a conversation on what the best golf ball for your game would be, or at the very least test with your current gamer the entire time.

You may find that your gamer is an under performer and another aspect of the fitting would be determining what your optimum choice would be.

Hopefully that helps! 

I suppose it is important that the person being fit doesn't come into the fitting with some predisposed opinions on various clubs? as in: I want the Callaway GBB Epic because everyone else is using it and it is supposed to go really far.

would you agree/disagree?

Also how long do you feel a "true/fair/reliable/good" fitting should last?  2 hours?  1 hour?  As long as it takes?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I am the type of person that wants to understand details. For me a great fitting regardless of of whether it is for a specific brand or brand agnostic is that the fitter can communicate to me what he is trying to accomplish with the various changes.

This is what I want and I am sure other people would hate all those details and it would be a great fitting for them. We all measure things differently so what is great for someone else might not meet my expectations.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Located in northwest Ohio - equidistant to Toledo and Cleveland. Also thanks for the link - FYI I'm willing to pay for it or per chase the club from the person.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Should you be fit to:

• the swing you currently have
  • or the swing you should have
Let's say you have an upright swing and the person fits you into clubs with adjustments that help you hit the ball straight and (more) consistent. If you change your swing so that it isn't as upright, won't the clubs you've been fit into now be incorrect?

And on the flip side...

Let's say you get fit into a set of clubs...but you're still not having as much success as you'd hope so you go for lessons. At the lesson you get a swing change - now do you need to go get re-fit ?

I would think the swing you currently have. Your swing is always in a state of Flux... Tour pro's less so then us amateurs. Can't get fit to a swing your supposed to have. Once you start enacting those swing changes, you go back to your fitter and get re-fit (easier now a days with the adjustable driver's and woods). First fittings are always tough as you have no experiences to compare it to.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I've gone through a few local demo day fittings and because I'm a Lefty, I don't always feel they do a good enough job fitting me. I'm debating going to the local club champion which is brand agnostic for my next fitting. I think the fitting is around $350 and 3.5 hours for a full bag fitting.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Ultimately what it comes down to is how good the fitter is.  A quality fitter is usually going to give you a great fitting.  Regardless of what brand it's for or what technology is or isn't used.

There also needs to be some trust there.  Trust on your part that the fitter knows what he or she is doing and trust on their part that you are giving honest answers and feedback to questions.  You'll get out of it what you put in to it.

@Shawn even with my examples I do agree I would choose a brand agnostic fitting first.  A place like Club Champion, Modern Golf or locally we have Totally Driven and 2ndSwing Tour Van.  Even though my result wasn't better than my current setup I would have no problems going back to 2ndSwing.  You just have so many more options and ideally there shouldn't be any OEM bias.  

@Stroker I would only get fit for the swing you have.  If you are actively in the process of a swing change then I'd wait until you are confident in repeating the new swing.  As for how long it takes, the answer is however long it needs to take.  Generally speaking I would figure about an hour per club segment.  If going for a full bag fitting don't be afraid to split it up too.  Unless you're used to hitting balls continuously for hours a time you are going to get tired and your swing is going to falter.  Also it's OK to go in with an idea of what you want to hit, but be open minded to what you actually hit the best, not just what's hot right now.

Should you be fit to:

• the swing you currently have
  • or the swing you should have

Let's say you have an upright swing and the person fits you into clubs with adjustments that help you hit the ball straight and (more) consistent.  If you change your swing so that it isn't as upright, won't the clubs you've been fit into now be incorrect?

And on the flip side...

Let's say you get fit into a set of clubs...but you're still not having as much success as you'd hope so you go for lessons.  At the lesson you get a swing change - now do you need to go get re-fit ?

Without making my own personal statement about what makes a good fitting I will say this....

I was fit for my current set in August 2014. Since that time I started taking some periodic lessons/coaching sessions every few months. During this time I slowly made some swing changes. Nothing radical by any means. Just tweaks here and there. But they have made a big difference in my game. Mostly I've become more consistent overall, gained a few yards, and reshaped my ball flight. It's all been good. I'll be going back out with my Pro this Sunday for our first meeting of the year.

When I was fit for my irons in 2014 I walked in with a swing. The one I had at that time and that day. Guess what? My irons perform even better today since I've made some adjustments to my swing. I went back to see my fitter this past December to have my clubs checked... loft, lie, etc. He only made a few minor changes to a few clubs. Those changes were to bend them slightly back to the specs as he originally had built them. Perhaps if I had made some major overhaul to my swing then maybe a new fitting might be order. But in my case they are still performing great if not better.

One more thing.... I'm like Meyer in that I like having the technology on hand while fitting but it's not the end-all be-all for fitting. Feel, ball-flight, sound, etc. are things I can physically see, feel, and hear.

A LM can't do that for me. I know what I want to see out of my irons and shots. My fitter helped me get there.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There's a ton of really good stuff here. Awesome feedback guys. We are delivering a similar message with some variation, which is what someone not familiar with a fitting needs to hear. We all have different takes, so that's great to see.

Tony I'm pretty sure there is a Club Champion in Ohio that would be somewhat close to where you're saying. I'm pretty sure I looked online and saw there was one in the Cleveland area or something like that when I was looking to go to modern. Just google brand agnostic golf fitting and I'd think it would come up.

Stroker, I'm going to echo plaid and Meyer here. Fit your swing that you come in the door with. Unless you totally rebuild your swing from the ground up, it's going to be hard to find a situation where the club's can't be changed. The biggest part of the fitting that you need to nail are actually not so much the lie (it's extremely important, but can be adjusted after the fact) but the look, feel, shaft preferences, ball flight, performance etc. You can walk in the door and bring your current swing to the table and weigh all of this issues out. If you have the theoretical more upright swing now and then change it down the road, you can always have the lie angles adjusted to fit your new swing. So no worries there.

And my take on having a preference and timing are as follows. I went to modern and was there from 9-5:30PM with a small break for lunch. I hit balls basically 85% of that time and the next day... MAN WAS I SORE. In the future I'll never do that again. Splitting it up (if possible) makes a lot of sense. Just my two cents. It doesn't HAVE to be long, but like Cnosil I tend to be more thorough and in depth and prefer my fittings that way. My girlfriend also went for a full bag fitting and was done in 1.5 hours. So it will vary.

As for the preferences, if we are honest with ourselves they exist no matter what we say we are going in the door with, so be up front about your thoughts and test what you want out. But as Meyer said don't jam yourself into something because it's hot. Guess what? Taylor made and Callaway will have new hot gear next year. Find what works and gives you the best performance and go with that. It should matter what the label is on the bottom.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

great advice gents!  Appreciate the insight and thought provoking comments.

Hope to have a review/follow-up once I finish; not quite as detailed and in-depth as yours Shawn but something along those lines.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

So based on feedback I did some searching and there isn't a brand agnostic fitter within a reasonable distance.

A couple of questions further: wouldn't a store like golf Galaxy that has virtually every major brand be brand agnostic fitter? Also since golf has so many variables, course, weather - wind and temp, it seems that unless you're a low handicap/scratch golfer the fitting may be more theoretical?

Not trying to stir up a hornets nest just asking questions

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

A couple of questions further: wouldn't a store like golf Galaxy that has virtually every major brand be brand agnostic fitter? Also since golf has so many variables, course, weather - wind and temp, it seems that unless you're a low handicap/scratch golfer the fitting may be more theoretical?

Places like GG would be,  but I don't think they provide the best fittings.  I think they lack the experience and generally just look at trackman numbers.  I am of the opinion that hitting the optimal numbers doesn't mean it is the optimal fit.   Because of the conditions you listed,  adjustments always have to be made.    Fittings are jsut as important for a high handicapper as a low handicapper.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So based on feedback I did some searching and there isn't a brand agnostic fitter within a reasonable distance.

It's tough when there isn't somewhere close to get a fitting done.  You either have to settle for 'less than' or take a road trip.  Yes Golf Galaxy is going to be brand agnostic, but generally speaking they don't have the training or experience of some of the other places you can go.  I'd say it's going to be better than nothing, but depending on who you get it might not be by much.

Another good resource for locating fitters is the Golf Digest top 100 list.  http://www.golfdigest.com/story/clubfitter-directory-americas-best-clubfitters Look for the bold and starred names as they are in the top 100.  I'd still recommend calling and asking about their fitting processes before going though.  See if you get a good vibe from the place.

You're no stirring up any kind of hornets nest! Education, good discussion, and great questions are what we are here for. So ask away man!

With that being said, you have to make the most of the situation you have and with where you are willing to drive. Golf Galaxy is honestly VERY hit or miss. That's the problem with them. You have people who are being paid very little for what they do, typically have some training but aren't as invested as someone whose livelihood depends on selling you the best set of clubs. I personally have been to a golf Galaxy for a full bag fitting in the past (it was terrible, worst golf experience I've ever had) but have also had a putter/wedge fitting that went FANTASTIC (Were two of the best fittings I've ever had) and had an iron fitting early in my playing days that also went well. So it's been hit or miss.

The wedge/putter fittings I take with a grain of salt because they were Edel fittings and those fitters within the stores have to have speciality training to fit for that brand. So I feel like those fittings are bound to be a little higher quality.

As for a fitting being theoretical, if you look up any kind of general consensus on fittings, it actually is pretty strongly recommended that a higher handicap be fitted over a lower handicap. The argument there is that the single digit guys are talented enough to make it work as it stands and the guys who are higher up there need the equipment to get out of the way and to complement what they bring to the table in the most efficient way that they can. Fitting to me isn't a debate on if it should be done. It's absolutely necessary for everyone (assuming they can). Just do the best you can with finding someone around you and honestly I wouldn't be afraid to consider driving a little ways to do it right.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

You might give GolfTec in Toledo or Cleveland a call.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Define reasonable?

Unfortunately, this is the commonest response to a theoretical question.

Nobody - and I mean virtually nobody, is willing to travel any reasonable distance to find a decent fitter. The problem is, most golfers will travel almost worldwide to play golf on a particular course or resort.

So surely there must be some sort of compromise? So the onus must therefore be on the golfer to seek out a decent fitter should there not be one available at the end of your street or one with a drive-thru option (I'm not kidding - I actually got asked this once).

Personally, I don't buy the often used excuse "there's nobody near me" because of the reasons already outlined and because it just smacks of laziness on the part of anyone who is really serious and committed to being correctly fitted. I've said it many times before, but you will only find a level of fitting in keeping with the level of effort you are willing to put in yourself. That means going out and doing a bit of legwork and homework too. If it sounds too difficult or too much of a chore, then you'll just have to be satisfied with something else I guess.

The good news is if you live in the continental US, congratulations - you have access to more qualified fitters and equipment than anywhere else on earth. You also have access to more road and transport infrastructure linked to golf courses and pro shops than anywhere else on earth. If that doesn't sound reasonable, then I'm sure any big box golf store will be more than willing to sell you anything they have in stock. Then of course, there's always the internet.....

Define reasonable?

Unfortunately, this is the commonest response to a theoretical question.

Nobody - and I mean virtually nobody, is willing to travel any reasonable distance to find a decent fitter. The problem is, most golfers will travel almost worldwide to play golf on a particular course or resort.

So surely there must be some sort of compromise? So the onus must therefore be on the golfer to seek out a decent fitter should there not be one available at the end of your street or one with a drive-thru option (I'm not kidding - I actually got asked this once).

Personally, I don't buy the often used excuse "there's nobody near me" because of the reasons already outlined and because it just smacks of laziness on the part of anyone who is really serious and committed to being correctly fitted. I've said it many times before, but you will only find a level of fitting in keeping with the level of effort you are willing to put in yourself. That means going out and doing a bit of legwork and homework too. If it sounds too difficult or too much of a chore, then you'll just have to be satisfied with something else I guess.

The good news is if you live in the continental US, congratulations - you have access to more qualified fitters and equipment than anywhere else on earth. You also have access to more road and transport infrastructure linked to golf courses and pro shops than anywhere else on earth. If that doesn't sound reasonable, then I'm sure any big box golf store will be more than willing to sell you anything they have in stock. Then of course, there's always the internet.....

Count me as one that is not willing to travel for a fitting. I have things to take care of with what spare time I have.... traveling for a club fitting is not one of them. The closest I have to me is Golf Tech. I've heard not such good things. So... Should I spend $250 with them or just play what I have? For now... I'll just play what I have.

you are only an hour from two listed in the golf digest and one is in the top 100.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Curious what you think goes into a great fitting and is it the same for different types of clubs - drivers, irons etc.

I don't know what constitutes a great fitting but when I was fitted for irons they got it all wrong. I was told that I needed irons that were a half inch longer, 3 degrees upright, with regular flex shafts. I was smart enough not to buy a set with those specs. I had one iron fit to those specs and took it to the range. Could not hit a decent shot. Then I played with a buddy's set of Ping Eye 2s that were stand with a stiff shaft. Hit the ball perfectly straight. So I bought a set myself. So much for the fitting I had. They got nothing right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

has anyone done a fitting with the temperature hovering around 32?

I've got on scheduled for Friday and the weather looks a bit iffy.  I have a pair of FJ cold weather gloves but I typically only use 1 glove.

From my understanding this place has a bay that hits out onto the range.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to get fit hitting balls purely inside.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I would assume the fitting bay that's outside is heated. Surely makes sense to me.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• 1 month later...

Looks like everbody is trying to buy a golf game...god luck with that!!

What????  your first post and you start with an insult?  c'mon man...

Nowhere in here does it even lead one to conclude that getting fit for clubs is equivalent to "buying a golf game"...

As a matter of fact the exact opposite would be true - buying clubs that aren't fit for you.

Maybe this is spam?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Archived