Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Time for new wedges?

Vmac78

Hi.  This is m first post and I was wondering when it's time to buy new wedges? My Cleveland Tour Action Reg 588 49 & 56 degree wedges are 10 years old now.  I'm just getting back into the game after about 8 years of only playing a handful of rounds a year.  Other than the usual nicks here and there they are in decent shape.  I plan on playing at least once a week once the courses open up (I live in CT).  Should I replace them? Thanks for any input.

First, welcome form the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.  

Being 10 years old, the TA588 doesn't conform to the USGA 2010 "groove rule".  That doesn't really matter if you are not playing USGA or pro events.  It sounds like they are in decent shape if the grooves are not worn, so the question becomes Do they fit your swing?  If they fit, then I don't see a reason to change, unless you just want new clubs.  I would take them into your local golf shop and have them check the length and lie angle for your swing.  Play them for awhile and then evaluate your results.  It's all about giving the results you want and how they feel.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Do you plan on playing in any tournaments? If you plan on playing tournament golf the clubs probably don't conform to the rules of golf. They changed the groove rules a few years ago.

How worn is the face/grooves? If you aren't going to be playing tournaments requiring you conform to the equipment rules and the grooves are in good shape then by all means continue to use them.

New wedges would probably optimize spin numbers but if you are just playing for fun then the decision is yours. I would also evaluate if the fit your swing from a bounce perspective

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wont be playing in any tournaments, just for the fun of it.  The grooves and grip seem fine.  I was thinking of bringing them to Golf Galaxy and have one of the pro's there take a look.   Thanks for the responses guys!

short game is uber important, if you can afford it and think some new wedges will help....go for it.......New equipment is part of the fun of the game

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

might consider shortening the yardage gaps between your wedges depending on what else is in your bag and how you hit the ball.

Some guys do a 3 or even 4 wedge set with varying degrees of difference (50/54/58...52/56/60...50/54/58/62)  Some guys even carry a PM grind 64* wedge.... don't know how the heck they hit it but that's about the highest lofted one I've seen semi-regularly used.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

might consider shortening the yardage gaps between your wedges depending on what else is in your bag and how you hit the ball.

Some guys do a 3 or even 4 wedge set with varying degrees of difference (50/54/58...52/56/60...50/54/58/62)  Some guys even carry a PM grind 64* wedge.... don't know how the heck they hit it but that's about the highest lofted one I've seen semi-regularly used.

I have some kind of off brand Dunlop I found on the scrap pile at work it is 67* or so it states. Never put it on my machine. I mess with it some around the yard but would not seriously game it. In fact I dropped my 60 last week because I hardly use it any more. I went to a newer Cleveland 56* with 14* of bounce and it works good. I can open it up etc and my 52 is pretty versitile too. I ended up adding a Cally UTX 24* bent back to 22*

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

... I think it all depends on your game SA. I have been playing the same wedges for so long, trying to change them would be problematic. 48*-54*-60*. Lots of half and 3/4 shots and I usually want a lower trajectory with my wedges anyway. Fwiw, I never found 6* to be a problem with my wedges, but again these are the lofts I started and learned with so I have never even thought about changing.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Everyone here is mentioning that they aren't legal for USGA play, but you should upgrade to legal grooves whether you play in tournaments or not. The golf ball manufacturers have been combating the groove rule, by making covers softer and softer. If you play, say a 2017 Pro V1, you are going to shred the cover on one shot with the old grooves. If you play a Tour ball, you are going to be spending big $$ on balls that you can only play for a few holes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... I think it all depends on your game SA. I have been playing the same wedges for so long, trying to change them would be problematic. 48*-54*-60*. Lots of half and 3/4 shots and I usually want a lower trajectory with my wedges anyway. Fwiw, I never found 6* to be a problem with my wedges, but again these are the lofts I started and learned with so I have never even thought about changing.

I play the same lofts (tried 48-52-56-60 for a bit, but went back 48-54-60 soon enough).

I had a long affair with a set of 2009 Vokey SM4's that I tried to replace many times, only to go back. My current wedges are new Vokey SM6's that I've had less than a month - first set to stay put long enough to sell off the old SM4's.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think the other question is how old are the grooves? For me that's a key part of when I switch out wedges. I usually keep them 3-4 years but try to switch them out once the grooves become less of an influence.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived