Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Selecting your 14 clubs

Wedgie

I hope this hasn't been covered but I'm curious how others choose what 14 clubs to bag. Do you start with a wedge and work your way up by distance or driver down?

For example if I hit my highest lofted wedge 70 yards with a full swing do I work my way up to a wedge that hits it 85, then PW at 100? Or if I hit my driver 250 do I look for a 220 club, then 200, etc...

Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I start close and work my way out.

Wedges are wider gaps (15 yards on stock shots) than my irons, but I do a lot of partial shots, open/closed face, etc.

Irons are about 10 yards apart up to the 4 iron. I also carry a 3 iron, but use it for a low flight under trees and such - not a specific distance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Personally I base it off my irons.  Gap your irons properly and then figure out what else you want to be able to hit.  Say your PW goes 120 and a 4i goes 180.    That's 7 clubs, then add in putter and driver and you have 9.  That leaves 5 clubs to play around with gaps and specific yardages.  Generally speaking I prefer to have my larger yardage gaps at the top then of the bag.  So maybe you start looking for a 220-230 yd club and 200 yd club.  You can always choke down a little bit to cover a wider yardage gap.  That leaves 3 wedges to cover the bottom end of the bag.  I'd probably try to find a 105-110 club.  95-100 and then 85ish club.  

Then here's what I do with wedges.  I have a full swing normal grip with each wedge.  Then I have a full swing choke to the steel grip. That's 6 stock yardages with your wedges.  Then do those same 2 grips with a half swing and now you have 12 stock yardages with your wedges.  That should cover most gaps you are going to find.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wedgie,  that's a good question you've asked. To be honest I've had to give it some thought. I'm not sure if when I was fit for my clubs your question came up. Gapping yes. But in which order; top down or bottom up... I can't say. If I had to guess I'm going to say bottom-up. The reason I'm saying that is after I hit my drive I'm always thinking from the green back. Or bottom-up. For example, I'm in the fairway surveying my approach; I'm thinking where I'm wanting my shot to land (distance). Will I use a PW, or an 8i or my 52*, etc., etc. I never think will I need a 4i..nope, 5i nope. My thought is will I pull a 8i... nope not enough; better take a 7i. I'm always working my numbers back.

My wedges are all gapped 4* apart. 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*. Pretty basic.

Besides my driver I only carry a 4w. My longest iron is a TM Burner 2.0 4i. (it's a much more game improving design - easier to hit) All my other irons are all Wishon.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There is no right answer here other than "do what works best for you." 

For me there is only one club in the bag I want max distance out of(driver). Everything this else is just a yardage club that I want to hit a precise distance.

Just try and make sure that there is consistent gapping between clubs so things don't overlap. I would generally make sure you have more clubs for inside 150-175 than outside of it as well since that is where most of your scoring is done. If you want to set it up off of the longest non driver in your bag your can do it that way or you can do it by the shortest wedge. I would probably vote for doing it off the shortest wedge because that is where your gapping needs to be more precise. I would also go off of carry distance and not just total distance

For me: Reliable stock carry distances (Can + or - yards depending on the shot I'm trying to play).

Driver- As long and straight as possible (not always straight  <_>

3W- 265

3i- 230-235

4i- 215-220

5i- 200-205

6i- 185- 190

7i- 175

8i- 160

9i- 145

pw- 135

gw- 120

sw- 105

lw- 95 

putter

Hope this was somewhat helpful. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Thanks guys for all of the input. Since I'm not a long hitter reading responses I think starting with wedges that gap into my irons is the best for me. Then see what room is left on the long end. Once I figure that out I'll hit you all up for course management tips.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I start with the top of the bag and move down trying to keep a constant 12 yard gap in my irons.  The hybrid and fairway wood are more to fit gaps at my club than anything else.  I have played a 52* and 58* wedge setup for the last 20 years and it was not until a year or so ago I added the 62* for bunker shots and shots around the green.  Works for me as I have always been comfortable with partial wedge shots.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Thanks guys for all of the input. Since I'm not a long hitter reading responses I think starting with wedges that gap into my irons is the best for me. Then see what room is left on the long end. Once I figure that out I'll hit you all up for course management tips.

It doesn't matter how long you are if you have consistent gapping between clubs and can hit those yardages regularly. One of the shortest guys on the tour is the only one with a 58. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I had an issue that I hope you don't end up with.  In 2012 I was fitted for Ping i20 irons 5-U wedge and I used my Ping Eye 2+ SW and LW.  Gapping was good.  Then a few years ago while reading some of these forum posts, I decided to buy the SCOR wedges.  My golf club had a demo set with various shafts, so I got to pick which shaft felt the best;  UST Genius9 graphite.  They felt so good, and I loved the way they worked out of various lies.  I bought the 54 and 58.  Then I decided to get the 46 and 50 to replace my i20 wedge and gap wedge.  When SCOR was going out of business and Terry Koehler moved to take over Ben Hogan, I then bought the 42 to replace my 9i.  The gapping was great between the SCORs and the ball flight was perfect... and long, which then led to a problem.  My 42 was nearly as long as my i20 8i.  I played that way for awhile, but started looking for other options.  I had an old set of MacGregor VIP V-Foil Tourneys that I loved but the S300 steel shafts were too much for this old body.  I reshafted the 4-8i with UST Proforce 95 graphite and strengthened the lofts.  I now have correct gapping from my SCOR 42 to my 8i.  Now I have a forged  MacGregor/SCOR set and the Ping i20 with the Eye 2+ wedges as my backup set.

I guess what I am saying is that if you have different wedges than your iron set, your focus should be on getting the correct gapping between them.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't recall tackling this one before- nice thread.

The first that I thought about this was 30 years ago. Prior to that I carried 1,3,4 woods (yes woods), 2-PW, SW and putter. At that time woods came that way, iron sets came that way and you bought a SW and putter to round out the set.

So the first bag decision for me was to pull 2 iron and add 5 wood because my primary course was hilly, short, tight and required several 225 yard tee shots. I quickly dropped the 4 wood and added a more lofted wedge that was helpful for the elevated greens.

I played with that arrangement for 5 or 6 years until I joined a club in Indiana that required a different array of shots.

The five wood came out, I used a tight lies, which was basically a 4 wood and 2 drivers one of which could be hit off the deck.

Once I left there 5 wood and 3 wood went back in until about 11 years ago. At that point hacked lofts caused a move to 4 wedges, the dropping of any iron over a 5 and the addition of a couple of hybrids.

As I've gotten older and shorter the longest iron has dropped to a 6 and I've added a 5 wood back in to bridge from 4 and 5 hybrid to 3 wood. I have a very large gap between my bottom three wedges but I'm comfortable with it. I've tried to drop a wood and add a wedge but I'm fine with the current tapping of my set.

Bottom line then is for me it's a combo of gapping, personal abilities and course management needs that have shaped my set.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm currently gaming 13 clubs...

Basically, a swing issue is causing a bunching of distances at the top end of my bag. I go right from 5w to 5 iron and basically have to deal with that gap for now.

There will be a point where I have to look into slotting a club in for that gap, but for now I'm not sure what that will be/don't have much to fight with my current set.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Like Shawn, I too carry 13 clubs, but I'm on the hunt for a Mizuno JPX-EX 5 wood for the gap between my 3wd and 3H.

I base my set around my irons...weird I know, but I love these irons, hit them well and am able to get wedges (SCORS at the moment, but RTX V soles will find their way in there) that gap right.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Anyone here go for a yearly or more frequent gap analysis on a launch monitor? Or is it less formal for most of us?

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Anyone here go for a yearly or more frequent gap analysis on a launch monitor? Or is it less formal for most of us?

I try and do it every range session now thanks to my kids getting me a launch monitor for Christmas. Gives some valuable data that is enough to confirm what I am seeing with the eye test.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

I don't, but probably should. Going off of what I use to hit distance wise. Probably causing me strokes.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Like Shawn, I too carry 13 clubs, but I'm on the hunt for a Mizuno JPX-EX 5 wood for the gap between my 3wd and 3H.

There is no gap between my 3W and 3H; well maybe a little... the 3H is longer.  That's why the 3W isn't in the bag anymore.   :blush:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I try and do it every range session now thanks to my kids getting me a launch monitor for Christmas. Gives some valuable data that is enough to confirm what I am seeing with the eye test.

That's seriously fantastic. Have you noticed any effect to your scoring from that? I can't imagine how it DOESN'T make a difference.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

That's seriously fantastic. Have you noticed any effect to your scoring from that? I can't imagine how it DOESN'T make a difference.

It is winter for me so I have not played a ton but what I can say is with 14 new clubs in the bag the data will be invaluable once I do start playing. There is a function on the app that allows me to see averages of every club as well as session logs for each range session. The hard part is remembering to keep my iPad charged so I can get the most out of the range session. Will let you know how it works as the season progresses and I can gather more data.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

During my lessons since they're all done with foresight.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

You guys are seriously lucky... Wow!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I got a homemade Christmas card from my kids and they got the Lego Deathstar. Either way I don't check my gapping on a regular basis but I'm curious if you guys have found that the ball you play plays a role in distance control?

My driver swing speed is around 90 and I have found low compression balls are shorter off the tee but I make it up on the irons. Works well if I play from the tees I should be playing from but man I get some fliers with the Duo, Supersoft, etc.

When I played the super game improvement Wilson di11 Irons I could play any ball but with the less forgiving Mizonos I have found the low compression balls to be a game improvement ball in that I can now play a 4 iron if I want.

The question is do you find higher compression balls more accurate with both distance and accuracy?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

There is no gap between my 3W and 3H; well maybe a little... the 3H is longer.  That's why the 3W isn't in the bag anymore.   :blush:

If the past few rounds are any indication, I've got a gap of around 60 yards between mine.  :(

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Archived