Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Need some help on iron shafts

I just sold my Cobra F6 because the matrix shaft was way to light. Im in the market for some Srixon z355's but Im not sure about what shaft to use. I hear the Nippon 950's are really good but I wasn't sure is they were to similar to the matrix redtie 65g or if the were closer to the s300. My swing tempo is fairly aggressive on the down swing. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'll be the first to say it, go get fit!

In the absence of a fitting at least go in to a golf store and demo a bunch of different irons with different shafts.  Or try to get on a Mizuno shaft optimizer.  It will at least give you a starting point.  There are very few "bad" shafts out there, just shafts that either fit your swing profile or don't.  

Getting a recommendation over the internet with 'I have an aggressive downswing and 65g was too light' is like asking what ink cartridge your printer uses and the only info we have is that it's not a laser and it prints in color.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Get a fitting.

There are plenty of discussions around here that speak to the merits of having a proper fitting, and with what you're looking to do this situation clearly qualifies. That's the best advice you will hear my friend!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

The three shafts you listed have a good difference in weight between them. Like others have said go get fit. Fitters in your area will probably have options and you'll be spoiled with choices. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

The matrix was a 65g shaft  where the DG300 is a 125g shaft and the 950 is in between at 95g.

all three meant for different styles of golfers. If you are fairly aggressive and want to stay in the Srixon line I might suggest (after the fitting of course)

that you ask about the Nippon 1050. I would guess that to be the better choice.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

If a fitting isn't available I was fit on the Mizuno shaft optimizer thingy. It recommended the Nippon 950, r300 and xp95. I have a quick transition and after hitting all I chose the Nippon 950. Results were the same as the xp95 but felt much better to me.

I haven't looked back since. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 3 weeks later...

Getting fit is always the best idea with the right fitter. Some are good and some are not.  I played the Nippon 950gh for years and recently picked up a set of Srixon z745 with Nippon modus3 105 and WOW !!!  what a difference. Flatter ball flight and better feel for my quick tempo.

GL

Callaway Flash SZ Aldila Rogue 60
Callaway Mavrik SZ 16.5* 4W Aldila Rogue 70S
Taylor Made Sim Max 5W Ventus 6S
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Elevate 95R
Cleveland RTx-4 50/54/58 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylor Made Spider Chalk 35"

Getting fit is always the best idea with the right fitter. Some are good and some are not.  I played the Nippon 950gh for years and recently picked up a set of Srixon z745 with Nippon modus3 105 and WOW !!!  what a difference. Flatter ball flight and better feel for my quick tempo.

GL

Love the Profile Pic!  Where you from in RI?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Look, I'm all for fitting but that isn't necessarily to say that it is the end all be all.  One of things (in my opinion) to always keep in mind, is that there are certain shafts which have been tried and tested that are available.  I am referring to Dynamic Gold standard shafts and the Rifle Project X shafts.  Both of these are great depending on the player.  Dynamic Gold S300 and X100 are really good for players who have a quick tempo and who seek a flatter trajectory.  The Rifles are good for a player with consistent energy transfer in like the 5.5 - 6.0 and with a quicker transfer in the 6.5+.  I can speak pretty confidently to this as I have utilized both shafts over the years.

Another thing to keep in mind, is what exactly you want to get out of the shaft.  Do you lean towards more distance or more accuracy/consistency?  The flex profile of the shaft will have a big impact on you and what the response is of ball flight after contact.  What I am trying to get at is, the "newest" thing out there doesn't necessarily mean it is the best.  As a traditionalist I am of course a bit biased to certain things, but there is a reason that Dynamic Gold and Dynamic Gold SL have been out for years and still some of the top options in shops, with OEMs, and on tours.

Just keep in mind that many people have fallen victim to the "fitting curse" and can end up with "buyers" remorse.  I'm not in any way trying to say fitting isn't important, but keep in mind what you prefer and what you know works.

Cheers and I hope you are happy with whatever you choose.

-Burk

Agree with all re: fitting. How-evah: just a personal opinion. I play KBS Tour because they're very smooth and not too heavy. If you like a heavy "feeling" shaft, Project X is it, IMO. Felt like swinging a telephone pole in a 6-iron to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived