TESTERS WANTED! ×

MacGregor irons arrived today!

GolfSpy Barbajo

Courtesy of eBay and the magic of the USPS - the MacGregor Tourney VIP V-Foil 1025 CM irons arrived today. For 15 year old forged irons, they appear to be In decent enough shape...playable at least...

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

Hope to get these out to the heated range this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice! I'm about to head to the heated range myself. It's called Florida! :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Let us know how that 3i feels on the cold.

Driver: Epic Flash 9* with UST V2 5F4 shaft

Fairway Woods: EF 3W and Rogue Heavenwood

Hybrid: 2019 BB 4Hybrid

Irons: Tour B H1 Hybrid Forged Irons 6-AW with Recoil shafts

Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 54* -PM Grind 2.0 wedge, 58*

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta

Great find, those look to be in good shape.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Aw hell those dawgs are just broke in good!   ;)   Enjoy yourself a piece of history with those bad boys...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Nice find

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Fine sticks and you will fall in love with them. They are already broken in with the bag chatter and IMHO that adds character. IMHO last in the line of the great "Real" Macgregors before the demise as a Golfsmith house brand

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Let us know how that 3i feels on the cold.

It will not be as harsh as a VIP blade or FC 4000 3 iron will be trust me or a 985 Custom for that matter.  But I think everyone at least once should "enjoy" the feel and sting of a mishit Mac blade 2 or 3 iron in the cold with a range rock. Dammit!! Now I got to go take a dose of ibuprofen just thinking about it got my hands hurting!!   :rolleyes:

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nice! I'm about to head to the heated range myself. It's called Florida! :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

LOL mine is called Pawley's Island or the whole Grand Strand area of SC lately. Yesterday I did a run about 60 miles NE of Wilmington NC and the thermometer on my truck showed the temp as 80* I had to keep reminding myself this is the end of Feburary. Unusually warm this time of year even for here

G

Those look pretty decent. Are you getting them refinished?

I've got my old set of Wilson Staff Dyna-Power Fluid Feel blades out in the garage. 69' vintage? I have no desire to play those beasts again. But, I've thought off and on many times through the years to send them off and have them refinished. Perhaps put them on display in my office in some sort of rack/case.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

sorry to hear about that foot of snow you're getting up there!  hopefully you have a road trip planned.  :)

How big do you think the sweet spot is on those?  Dime?  Nickel?  

ENJOY THE NEW STICKS... btw - what do you plan on selling ???  ;)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

sorry to hear about that foot of snow you're getting up there! hopefully you have a road trip planned. :)

How big do you think the sweet spot is on those? Dime? Nickel?

ENJOY THE NEW STICKS... btw - what do you plan on selling ??? ;)

Storm missed us yesterday - but I'm sure there's another one out there. We did start the season March 6th last year, so you never know.

Sell? What the devil are you talking about???

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Took these to the heated range yesterday - sound and feel are really, really nice. Sweet spot, as Stroker Ace alluded to, isn't very big but when you hit it it feels like a full body massage from a 1980's Kathleen Turner.

Long irons are pretty easy to hit - brought the 3 and 5 with me and learned enough to know that the 3 should probably stay home.  Brought the 7 and 9 blades - I think I'm going to really like these ;-)

Will give these a few more goes on the range over the winter and see what we can do with them once the season starts.  Decisions, decisions...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Took these to the heated range yesterday - sound and feel are really, really nice. Sweet spot, as Stroker Ace alluded to, isn't very big but when you hit it it feels like a full body massage from a 1980's Kathleen Turner.

Long irons are pretty easy to hit - brought the 3 and 5 with me and learned enough to know that the 3 should probably stay home.  Brought the 7 and 9 blades - I think I'm going to really like these ;-)

Will give these a few more goes on the range over the winter and see what we can do with them once the season starts.  Decisions, decisions...

Graphite softened them up a lot.  I carry the 4i blade but it's really a utility club; good off the tee as a stinger and when I need to keep the ball low as an alternative to a hybrid.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

Have you played a round with these yet Barbajo? I took my CB92's out yesterday and had a great round striking the ball, better than with my KZG's.

The MacGregor forgings are definitely a different feel than the KZG'S, but both feel really nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Have you played a round with these yet Barbajo? I took my CB92's out yesterday and had a great round striking the ball, better than with my KZG's.

The MacGregor forgings are definitely a different feel than the KZG'S, but both feel really nice.

Brought these to Florida this week - got 5 rounds in. Some decent ball striking, but I'm noticing a consistent loss of distance compared to my Hogans or Wilsons - most likely due to the shaft being the wrong fit.  Did get used to them and wound up playing fairly well by the end of the trip (76 at Shingle Creek in Orlando!).  They're definitely nowhere near as forgiving on slight mishits compared to the Hogans and Wilsons - you feel and hear the difference, as well as seeing the different by coming up short.

I can see having some more fun with these if I get them reshafted - may not do it though, the grooves are in okay condition but I'd want to score something on eBay to install.  Gotta say they do look good at address and make you feel like a player.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Different shafts will make a huge difference. I recall you said they had Flighted Rifles which I always liked and play in my KZG's, but these clubs are very playable with the correct shafts, depending which works for you. I had a set of PCB's in the early 2000's with the stock MacGregor stiff shafts and they were brutal. Just didn't feel good, even on pured shots.

I bought my CB92'S as just heads and installed KBS C-taper stiff 110 shafts and they are really a joy to play. The heads are small but they don't seem intimidating at all. Actually, the turf interaction with the MacGregor grind is so perfect for me and my swing that I feel I can make even a poor swing and I'll make good contact.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Brought these to Florida this week - got 5 rounds in. Some decent ball striking, but I'm noticing a consistent loss of distance compared to my Hogans or Wilsons - most likely due to the shaft being the wrong fit.  Did get used to them and wound up playing fairly well by the end of the trip (76 at Shingle Creek in Orlando!).  They're definitely nowhere near as forgiving on slight mishits compared to the Hogans and Wilsons - you feel and hear the difference, as well as seeing the different by coming up short.

I can see having some more fun with these if I get them reshafted - may not do it though, the grooves are in okay condition but I'd want to score something on eBay to install.  Gotta say they do look good at address and make you feel like a player.

Love Shingle Creek, but it's been maybe 10 years since I played it.  Nice 76!!  I love graphite in my Macs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Love Shingle Creek, but it's been maybe 10 years since I played it. Nice 76!! I love graphite in my Macs.

Apparently it's very different now. They scrapped three holes and created three now ones to allow for some hotel expansion. They also rebuilt all of the greens, so they were quite firm - as in not able to leave a ball mark firm.

From what the starter was saying they also removed some bunkers, but there sure seemed to still be enough. Anyway, it was a good round .

IMG_2859.JPG

I'm warming up to the idea of reshafting the MacGregors. Club builder I know somehow scored several sets of Hogan Apex shafts - he's been trying to talk me into those since I showed him the Macs...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived