Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Lack of emotion from tour players

Street11

I feel that players show less emotion than they used to on Tour. After watching DJ and Fowler win these last weeks I wanted to be super excited and pumped, but they are both so...calm. I mean Fowler was draining some wonderful putts today to stay in the lead and I wanted to see something more than a nod.

I don't know guys, I just get caught up watching TW highlights and remembering how that felt. I mean I know the Ryder Cup has lots of emotion but that's a different animal.

What do you guys think? Golfers being less emotional? Or time to stay off the 2000 Pebble Beach highlights?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I think there's a time and a place for it.  I like the saying "Act like you've been there before"  No need to get all pumped up jumping around for a birdie mid-round.  A little fist pump and a nod to the crowd is perfectly acceptable.

Also while I love DJ (one of my favorite players), if you put DJ and a life size cardboard cutout of DJ in a room you would be hard pressed to figure out which has more personality.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Not trying to start a war here, but I tend to like "calm and collected".

To me, Tiger admittedly brought viewers to the game, but it was a locker room jock sort of mentality.

That mentality definitely brought players to the game, but in my mind, it also brought a lot of disregard for decades-old etiquette that is not necessarily good for the game.

But on the flip side, Tiger was getting plenty of endorsement money - it didn't seem to calm him down.

Some people just have a different playing style and Tiger's was just extremely unique. I think a lot of players are more self conscious now with how they play and react which is a damn shame in my eyes. The sport needs more excitement from these players but you'd be hard pressed to try and get something out of many of them.

I fully understand etiquette and being respectful but the sport is hurting and Tiger brought so much excitement and passion to the sport. One shouldn't be looked down on for being passionate and I think that is something the game of golf needs to thrive - the best plays come from within. But as I mentioned above, some people just get their energy from different places and that isn't going to change. Tiger was a once-in-a-generation type of player and let's be thankful we got to see that!

I don't think it has as much to do with public opinion as it does with playing well.  For me, at least, getting too high is almost as damaging to my swing as getting too down on myself.  Yeah, its great to make a birdie, but the next tee shot needs to be just the same swing, same tempo, same level of effort, as every other tee shot.  I think the ourward calmness you see is part of an effort to stay emotionally consistent through the round.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Guys get crucified for showing too much emotion and get judged if they don't show enough.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't

Very true - but luckily on the whole, there is someone for everyone to connect with for one reason or another. I also think that sometimes the dislike for certain personalities makes watching more interesting too.

Well... at least you know Johnny Miller will always have something to say.

"Obviously a win is a win, but you've got to learn to finish out Sundays like a true champion,” Miller said during the telecast. “He hasn't learned how to do that yet.”

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/fowler-shrugs-miller-critique-wins-win

Also - in Ricky's case - after his final round (even though he made some big putts) he did hit some bad shots. Esp on 17... hard to get excited after a double and a couple bogeys on the day; maybe he was just happy to finish and not have someone close enough to catch him.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Too much emotion is a bit agitating to me.  I don't like the get in ya face type moves as it makes me want to kick em in the arse. It's kind of like walking by a rot wielder's yard and yelling get ya sum!    

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Too much emotion is a bit agitating to me.  I don't like the get in ya face type moves as it makes me want to kick em in the arse. It's kind of like walking by a rot wielder's yard and yelling get ya sum!    

You must've hated the Ryder Cup this year!

Love the emotion in that contest.  The back and forth with Patrick Reed was awesome.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I will say Team vs Team in any sport is better with emotion.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I think there is a difference in their attitudes especially when they have large leads, DJ and Ricky the last 2 weeks. DJ will never show emotion but I tend to think if in a tight match Ricky will get a little more fired up. What's to get excited about when your running away from the field.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I think this is a product of the psychology training this new generation is embracing. Most golf psych authors preach to either love or hate a shot only for a brief moment then get refocused. While this is an excellent way to stay on task in a round, it definitely does not provide a whole lot of excitement for the viewer.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm more of the mindset of "cool, calm, and collected, and keeping it classy". Perhaps during a major when the heat is on and the match is close I like to see a little emotion now and then. On the amateur side of things and with the crowd I play with I can't recall any over the top outbursts or exaggerated fist pumping after making a clutch shot or putt. And when a guy does drain the putt on a 10 skin carry-over we congratulate him and mope off to the next tee box.  :o  <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_angry.png" alt=":angry:">  :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived