TESTERS WANTED! ×

FIRST LOOK! – Titleist VG3 Irons

GolfSpy_X

What an amazingly aweful looking golf club! Congrats to Titleist for ugliest club of the year to date. Its going to be hard for someone else to beat that, it looks like they stole this from the Callaway game improvement iron scrap pile!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Horrible looking irons. The AP1's are forgiving enough and these just look like a peice of SGI crap that Callaway would put out.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Well I definitely don't have the strong reaction that others have shown. Do I like the looks and would I play it, no. I much prefer the sleek lines of blades, but obviously these clubs weren't made with me in mind. For some people, a big game improvement iron from Titleist might be a welcome addition.

To me it was kind of looking like WILSON Golf's GI offering with the black plastic and angle cuts in the cavity. Personally doesn't really matter as I will never play anything that's not a blade of blade like in apperance. This is for the 25-50 handicappers.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Doesn't look like a Titleist. It looks like something they used to give to Cobra to market to the mid-high handicappers. But now they don't have Cobra to do that. Should we expect more GI-SGI clubs from Titleist?

Now we know why they sold Cobra. They are expanding their own product range to the higher handicappers.

Ugly clubs. Maybe even uglier then the AP's, have to wait and see in real life.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Now we know why they sold Cobra. They are expanding their own product range to the higher handicappers.

Ugly clubs. Maybe even uglier then the AP's, have to wait and see in real life.

I agree completely. I think that Titleist is smart to expand their product into the largest golfing demographic available today..........game improvement. Definitely not the sleek and traditional appearance of a titleist club......but it's no worse than some of the gaudy SGI clubs that Callaway and TM put out.

It will be interesting to see how this works out for Titleist. I've always percieved them to be a kind of no-nonsense "player's club" and I think they've intentionally fostered that image. Now they have been making irons for the mid-handicapper for a while with the AP series, but even so, those were imo still marketed as player's clubs. That image is not going to be easy to maintain with these new sticks. Beyond thier ugliness, I don't see how they fit into Titleist.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

It looks like something they used to give to Cobra to market to the mid-high handicappers

I thought I was looking at a Cobra club too. IMO, looks like all the other clubs on the market. I am curious to find out how these play.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

The idea to bring Titeist into the major market of golf clubs is a sound business decision, as most golfer need the higher handicap, game improvement clubs.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 3 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

As someone who should be swinging the more shovel-type iron, I'd check them out. The cavity could be pink if it helps me get shot on target. IMO, of course.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

As someone who should be swinging the more shovel-type iron, I'd check them out. The cavity could be pink if it helps me get shot on target. IMO, of course.

Agreed!

Also, what's with the Cobra hate? They make some pretty snazzy stuff (espcially for those of us in the game improvment wanting category), espcially in the last year.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Very, very ugly. Plain Jane of players irons. I thought the Ping and Callaway lines overused decals in the cavity, their implementation although not my cup of tea look better. Perhaps the brand name with get them through.

i think tity is just trying to capture a new market, much like ping did with the anser irons.

they're trying to capture a segment they dont currently have.

In My Bag

Driver- PING G15 (10.5*)

Shaft- Miyazaki C. Kua 39

Fairway- PING G15 (15.5*)

Shaft- Matrix Studio 64

Fairway- PING G15 (18.5*)

Shaft- Oban Revenge 6

Hybrid- PING I15 (20*)

Shaft- UST Mamiya Attas 285

Irons- PING I15 (5-PW)

Shafts- AeroTech SteelFiber i80

Wedges- PING Tour-S (54*, 60*)

Shafts- True Temper DG Spinner

Putter- PING Scottsdale Pickemup

• 2 months later...

this is what titleist developers in japan think ppl like? thank god i live in the usa. AMERICA!

The Japanese market is VERY different than the US market. They're more into "flashy". Not saying that's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

That said, I wonder if Titleist would bring these here to the US. In a sort of "keep up or get left behind" sort of thing.

this is what titleist developers in japan think ppl like? thank god i live in the usa. AMERICA!

I actually think 90% of the Japanese releases are much better looking than their american counterparts. The Japanese market seems to have no issues on buying on buying and paying for a much more stylish look. Some are hideous of course, but most are very pretty looking.

The Mizuno MP-G series wedges, or the Cleveland CG-F1 Forgued are some of the beautiful pieces never to hit the American market. Or would you say you prefer the "beautiful" CG16s to hit the American market?

mpgginlarge.jpg

cgf1big.jpg

Or just compare the difference in irons. Take a look at the Japanese version of the R9s, the Burners or the MP52s. You have to be drunk to sustain the U.S. gets the "bets looking version" of any of them.

r9forgedlarge.jpg

DSC07496.jpg

mp52ginlarge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived