Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Putting advice from a Putt Putt guy

I'm new to the group and several people have asked me about putting tips. I love putting, and can talk about it all day. As far as tips go, all can tell you is what has worked for me. They might not work for everyone for a variety of reasons.

Tip 1: Find a good Pro and take some lessons. You will be amazed what a Pro will see that you don't. Having good fundamentals will do you right more often than not.

Tip 2: Read the book "Putting out of Your Mind" by Dr Bob Rotella. This book has nothing to do with mechanics of putting. It's all about the mental side. This book can definitely help you become the best putter in your foursome.

If I get a good response from this I'll keep posting tips and advice. I'm not a pro, but I can love putting and do it better than most. Sorry if I come off a little cocky, but tip 3 would be something about confidence and knowing you are good. Never be afraid of being good! You know your about to sink your next putt. Drop it like it's hot.

Trent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Questions:

1. do you use a line on your ball and align that to the intended path?

2. why do people mark their ball, pick it up, turn it around in their hands, and then put it back down.  what are they doing?  Is it to put the ball in a better spot? alignment? something else?

3. what's your putting routine? 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Hey StrokerAce. I do use the line on the ball. Here's how I do it.

Find a straight 6-8 ft. putt. Aim line on ball as best you can at middle of cup. Stand 6 ft. back and align the shaft of your putter along the line on ball. Is shaft leading to the hole? Adjust it til it is then send it home. Magic Marker will make line easier to see. The more you do this the quicker you will become. Master this and it's almost like stealing stokes.

The first part of my routine starts before I'm on the green. Look at the surface from the fairway. I find lowest place on green and let my brain take it in. Figure my speed first, then choose my line. Use my alignment trick, pick up marker, then the thinking is over. Now I clear my mind of EVERYTHING ACCEPT TARGET and let the putt go.

As I mentioned, I'm a Putt Putt guy. My routine is a little different there but same basic thought process. Always feel like you are going to sink every putt every time.

Hey StrokerAce. I do use the line on the ball. Here's how I do it.

Find a straight 6-8 ft. putt. Aim line on ball as best you can at middle of cup. Stand 6 ft. back and align the shaft of your putter along the line on ball. Is shaft leading to the hole? Adjust it til it is then send it home. Magic Marker will make line easier to see. The more you do this the quicker you will become. Master this and it's almost like stealing stokes.

The first part of my routine starts before I'm on the green. Look at the surface from the fairway. I find lowest place on green and let my brain take it in. Figure my speed first, then choose my line. Use my alignment trick, pick up marker, then the thinking is over. Now I clear my mind of EVERYTHING ACCEPT TARGET and let the putt go.

As I mentioned, I'm a Putt Putt guy. My routine is a little different there but same basic thought process. Always feel like you are going to sink every putt every time.

Cool!  Thanks for sharing some tips.

Do you pay attention much the grain of the grass on the green when determining your speed?  Also - is time of day that important?  As in, if it is in the afternoon of a sunny day and the sun is behind you won't the grass on the green be angled toward the sun?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Cool! Thanks for sharing some tips.

Do you pay attention much the grain of the grass on the green when determining your speed? Also - is time of day that important? As in, if it is in the afternoon of a sunny day and the sun is behind you won't the grass on the green be angled toward the sun?

In Indiana we have bent grass greens. Grain or time of day is not an issue. I don't have a lot of experience playing on other types of grass.

I live and golf in Ft. Wayne. Great place to be.

Fort Wayne here too!

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Sweet. I play mostly Eel River, Riverbend, Lakeside but will tee it up anywhere. Currently taking lessons at Chestnut. Do you Putt Putt?

Have played all of those...I move around, but lately Whispering Creek over in New Haven has become my home away from home

I have not played PuttPutt in a very long time

Have played all of those...I move around, but lately Whispering Creek over in New Haven has become my home away from home

I have not played PuttPutt in a very long time

I almost added Whispering Creek on my list. Can't beat the price. Putt Putt tournaments Tuesday nights starting May 2. Very competitive and highly addictive. Would love to show you around the course. Bunch of good putters/people.

might have to do that....puttputt on coliseum?

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

and yeah, cant beat whisp creek for the price

might have to do that....puttputt on coliseum?

Right behind Arby's. My putting in general has improved just from making so many putts that mean something. A and B division. Practice starts at 6:30, tournament at 7:15. 3 rounds then a separate match play tournament. Win Putt Putt dollars (future entry fee). Can play til close after. $9. Hope to see you. Will buy ya a Fresca.

Explain the "leading shaft" analogy more - I am not following what you mean.

BTW, in order to improve, I have been looking at the hole - sometimes good - sometimes not!

:ping-small: Driver - G40
:taylormade-small: - 3 & 5 Jetspeed

:wilson_staff_small: 5-GW Staff Tour VG4

:titelist-small: 56 and 60 SM5 wedges

Bobby Grace Putter

:wilson_staff_small: Duo Urethane or :titelist-small: ProV1

Explain the "leading shaft" analogy more - I am not following what you mean.

BTW, in order to improve, I have been looking at the hole - sometimes good - sometimes not!

Since the putt is straight, the line in the ball is straight, and the putter shaft is basically straight you should be able to align the line on the ball and the shaft and have the shaft intersect the hole. Hard to describe but you are trying to verify the line on the ball is actually pointing to the hole

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Question: in Putt Putt are you using your regular ("real") putter?

(I'd guess, Yes)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the putt is straight, the line in the ball is straight, and the putter shaft is basically straight you should be able to align the line on the ball and the shaft and have the shaft intersect the hole. Hard to describe but you are trying to verify the line on the ball is actually pointing to the hole

I would also add when doing this use your dominant eye.  If you use your non-dominant eye, you won't be anywhere close.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I would also add when doing this use your dominant eye. If you use your non-dominant eye, you won't be anywhere close.

Good tip! I do this but had not considered dominant vs weak eye (although actually they're both getting weaker at this point....).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived