Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Common sense rules for everyone

Sluggo42

Are you playing on the tour for big money?

Or are you just a everyday hack like me?

Being retired, I play during the week and as early as possible. I'm finding later on in the day that play grinds to a slow pace that's unbearable.

I propose that we compile a set of rules foe the weekend hacker that will help speed up the play.

I will start with two, maybe three.

Feel free to add yours...

1) don't take 30 "practice swings"

You are going to chunk your shot no matter how many practice swings you take..

one or two is plenty. Just hit the ball...

2) after everyone drives, go to YOuR ball, or your partners, and figure out they club, so you can go to your ball.

Don't all four of you gather around the first ball for the shot, then all 4 of you meander to the next players ball... of course don't get in front of the first hitter, but get ready to hit while he hits.

3) don't "hyjack" the tee box. Don't tee it up, set up and waggle a few, after your 9 practice swings, and then right before you swing, break away from the swing to talk to somebody.

4) don't worrry so much about who putts first. If you're ready and the others aren't, putt the ball. You're not on TV, and you're not playing skins for $5 a skin.

5)

6)

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

5.... No more than 2-3 minutes looking for your ball. Drop one and get on with it. If you can't afford to lose a ball or two during a round, maybe you shouldn't play golf.

6... If you can't drive the ball 240-250 yds. consistently, stay off of the back tees! This should be a course rule everywhere!

7) once you are 4 shots over par, just pick it up. You shouldn't be carding any 13's.

8) don't stop in the middle of putting to run 20 yards to the beer cart. Finish the hole, she'll wait

9) no fishing for balls when a group is on your tail...

The best sense is to play ready golf. That covers about 7 of the rules that you have stated. Ready golf means that you don't wait your turn if you can safely hit the ball it's doesn't matter who's "turn" it is, hit the ball at the same time if you want. It doensnt have to be quiet and not everyone has to be perfectly still to swing a club. Why is it that on the range you can hit balls and work on your game with people walking and talking all over the place, but step on the tee box and all of a sudden you can't hit a ball if there is any noise or any movement.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Occasionally, this guy plays with us. He always takes 3 practice swings at full bore before he hits the ball.....every shot! If I did that I would be worn out after nine holes!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

5.... No more than 2-3 minutes looking for your ball. Drop one and get on with it. If you can't afford to lose a ball or two during a round, maybe you shouldn't play golf.

6... If you can't drive the ball 240-250 yds. consistently, stay off of the back tees! This should be a course rule everywhere!

LOL that last one--- Most of the tourist golfers show up here in this resort area decked out in and with the latest and greatest looking like they just stepped off a Tour van and insist on playing the back tees when in most cases they can not break 100 legit from the most forward tees. Love em though because in my afternoon walking rounds I find plenty of first class balls usually brand new. Tees oh wow the first thing they do when hitting town is go to the PGASS and buy those big bags of tees and do not bend over to pick one up

Actually in the past a couple of courses tried the handicap thing for tees and tried to enforce it but it did not work because there are 90 something other courses in the area they can play. One of those courses that tried that was a joke. It was only about 6400 from the back. I remember a friend of mine came down and we played there and his daughter played too. At the time she was in the top 50 NCAA college players and was actually scratch handicap. My buddy was a 2. Me I was still playing the minis and held 2 cards. A ranger came by on the 2nd hole and said something they showed their cards. Then he asked me I laughed at him and told him I did not carry a Amateur Handicap card he said real sarcastically "I guess you are a pro then? I told him Matter of fact I am and showed him my cards. Man he left fast. That course was not much to begin with and their play really dropped and then they stopped that crap. LOL again that course shut down last year

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

9) no fishing for balls when a group is on your tail...

HA Ha Ha try telling that to some of the old fart retirees around here they do not care. Sometimes I wonder if they are playing golf or playing ball hawking as we call it. The funny thing is that most of the have several 5 gallon buckets of balls in their car ports at home. At my home course I will play right around them. They will not say anything at all to me because I am a member too! Some of the rangers will crack the whip on them. One of the rangers is a sometimes playing buddy and he told me one of the old farts complained one day and said he was a member had been one for a year or so. My ranger buddy told him well Stu has been here for 13 years now. He told me the old fart said well I have never seen him and my ranger buddy told him that is because he is in the fairway most of the time not in the woods and ponds like you are. BTW that ranger is a member too and rangers for the heck of it likes doing it because he has a great love for the course 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am probably painting with a broad brush with my statement about the back tees. I know there are a lot of guys that have very good iron games, and could probably fair pretty well from the back tees with shorter drives. But for the most part, I see so many "macho" guys "crushing" the ball damn near 190 yds. from the back tees, and then take at least 3 more strokes just to get near the green, let alone on it. Move up a tee and enjoy the game!

As many of you are aware the GSGA rules changes for 2019 are targeting pace of play issues such as reducing the time to search for a ball from 5 minutes to 2-3 minutes or removing the option to go to the opposite side of a Lateral WH to speed up play.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

Try this you hackers (including me  :) ) While others in your group are putting; go about looking at your putt-line-break, etc. and be ready to putt when it's your turn. Many of us play the same "home" course day in day out. It's not like the greens are some big mystery. And... you're not on Tour!!

Oh... and repair a couple of ball marks along the way too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I am probably painting with a broad brush with my statement about the back tees. I know there are a lot of guys that have very good iron games, and could probably fair pretty well from the back tees with shorter drives. But for the most part, I see so many "macho" guys "crushing" the ball damn near 190 yds. from the back tees, and then take at least 3 more strokes just to get near the green, let alone on it. Move up a tee and enjoy the game!

If I had to I can still play from the back tees. I still hit it about 260 or so at sea level. But it is not much fun for me to be hitting 3 and 5 woods into par 4 holes on some of the long courses. I can get away with it some on certain courses because of my wedge game and putting. I think with some of the posers they want people to think they are "players". Some of the longer more difficult courses down here depending on the weather we will step up to the senior tees on occasion. One of the groups I play with on certain courses we play mixed tees because some holes are outrageous from the mid tees and some too short from the senior tees. We keep it fun

G

If I had to I can still play from the back tees. I still hit it about 260 or so at sea level. But it is not much fun for me to be hitting 3 and 5 woods into par 4 holes on some of the long courses. I can get away with it some on certain courses because of my wedge game and putting. I think with some of the posers they want people to think they are "players". Some of the longer more difficult courses down here depending on the weather we will step up to the senior tees on occasion. One of the groups I play with on certain courses we play mixed tees because some holes are outrageous from the mid tees and some too short from the senior tees. We keep it fun

Hell yea,,,, we will tee it up in 2017!    

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On this line of thought. When I've gone to places & met others to play, most use par 3s to judge what tees. Me, I find its better to use par 4s. If too many (more than a couple) are 400 yrds + its going to be a long day for me.

Hell yea,,,, we will tee it up in 2017!    

LETS DO IT!!!!

G

Can not agree with these more. Would easily save most people tons of time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I can, and I STILL don't play the back tees. My short game just isn't good enough to justify it.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I can, and I STILL don't play the back tees. My short game just isn't good enough to justify it.

Same here. Unless a course is super short I play the middle tees. Around the 6600 yard mark give or take. I think it's a good challenge for where my game is right now.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

11) after you chunk your third consecutive shot and decide your best option is to hurl your club, make sure to hurl it TOWARDS the green, but never onto it.

This way you don't waste any time walking backwards or laterally to retrieve your club.

Never slam your putter into the green, no matter how many putts you've just missed.

12)it is also recommended that you don't decide to hit a tree, as the head can whip around said tree, and actually break free from the shaft, and then nail you squarely between the eyes or full speed into the family jewels, causing irreparable damage to either.

11) after you chunk your third consecutive shot and decide your best option is to hurl your club, make sure to hurl it TOWARDS the green, but never onto it.

This way you don't waste any time walking backwards or laterally to retrieve your club.

Never slam your putter into the green, no matter how many putts you've just missed.

12)it is also recommended that you don't decide to hit a tree, as the head can whip around said tree, and actually break free from the shaft, and then nail you squarely between the eyes or full speed into the family jewels, causing irreparable damage to either.

On your #12 I know a guy that got mad and wrapped his 3 wood around a cart top post. It wrapped around and broke and the broken shaft on the  head end got him in the shoulder above his heart missing the main artery by a few millimeters or so. He lived. this was in the days when those cart top braces were thick solid steel braces not the stuff they have now

G

We have several players,both younger and older.Who film their entire round.They act like they're the owners of the course.Drive on and near tee and green to get good camera view.Block you from swinging setting up their damn tri pods all over during play.They have no concern or appreciation for others that are on course or in group.I see many do course blogs on YouTube and it makes me cringe as well.Is it really that important to film every damn shot during the round?The pro - starters and other players mentioned that they cause distractions.Doesnt stop them as they keep doing it.

Keep it in the short stuff

LOL damn STU, love your anecdotes!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

13)  Occasionally look behind you.  Count the number of people in your group and sum it up.  If that total is greater than the sum total of those behind you and... 1) you're not waiting to hit your shot nearly every time and... 2) the group behind you is constantly waiting for you to hit your shots.... consider letting them play through.

We all play for fun and have different skill sets.  If the folks behind you are a little better then everyone will have a much more enjoyable experience.  You won't feel the consistent pressure from behind and they won't feel like they are pushing you all the time.

I play by myself quite frequently and this happens to me a lot.  Not to say that I'm good or anything, but, if you do the math, it takes 1 or 2 guys fewer swings to get on the green and putt out than it does 4 guys.... even if they have a cart.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

13)  Occasionally look behind you.  Count the number of people in your group and sum it up.  If that total is greater than the sum total of those behind you and... 1) you're not waiting to hit your shot nearly every time and... 2) the group behind you is constantly waiting for you to hit your shots.... consider letting them play through.

We all play for fun and have different skill sets.  If the folks behind you are a little better then everyone will have a much more enjoyable experience.  You won't feel the consistent pressure from behind and they won't feel like they are pushing you all the time.

I play by myself quite frequently and this happens to me a lot.  Not to say that I'm good or anything, but, if you do the math, it takes 1 or 2 guys fewer swings to get on the green and putt out than it does 4 guys.... even if they have a cart.

Good one!!!

Expand #3 a little.

Golf is a social game. But talk and walk. When it's your turn, hit. THEN talk!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Much of this is an issue with the course. They know that guys are going to consistently play the wrong set of tees. Just move the stupid things up!

It's not rocket science OEMs have figured it out. Guys think they need S flex, real S flex won't work for most, stamp S on R. They like to hit 8 iron from 150, Mark a 6, 8.

Courses should do likewise, move the tees up so that the course plays shorter and rounds take less time. Faster riunss, lower scores, happier golfers, more rounds played, more money made, everyone wins.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived