Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

"Easiest" way to putt better

What do you say when someone asks about your putting? What do you hear others say about their own skills on the green? If it's anything similar to what I hear golfers saying, not much of it is positive. Why? I know some of you right now are saying "Because I can't sink a 4 footer" or "Because I suck at putting". Maybe you have excepted the fact that your putting is not that good, or worse, you are just terrible.

STOP THINKING LIKE THAT!

STOP THINKING LIKE THAT, RIGHT NOW!

Your brain is smarter than you are. The human brain is amazing. We gravitate towards how we see ourselves. If you constantly tell people can't putt, guess what, your gonna be right. Do you think your chances are better on that 12 foot down hill breaker if right before you swing you think "I'm not very good at these"? Heck no. Yet, listen to what you hear other golfers say. They announce that they are horrible, terrible, crappy, etc. They are usually correct. But that doesn't need to be you.

Collect some memories of the best putts you've ever hit. Erase any memory of those less than desirable ones. Having a selective memory is key. If all you can remember are the good ones, would you not absolutely love the flat stick? Draw on your positive database of killer shots.

Next, never utter a negative word about your putting ever again. Seriously. You are who you perceive yourself to be. So, from now on, YOU ARE A GREAT PUTTER! When someone asks you how you're playing, reply with something positive, always. Then, listen to your buddies response. When they say how bad they are at putting and can't make 2 good putts in a row or blah blah blah, know you are about to get in their wallets.

Finally, when they say "Damn your putting good", just say "Thank you".

My name is Trent and I'm a damn good putter.

Go see a PGA professional to get your fundamentals down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've always found his particular style of British aplomb a touch off putting but I remember watching a "playing lessons with the pros" where Monty posits, believing you are going to make any particular 6 footer is more than half the battle. I begrudgingly agree.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Great post! I'll remember this the next time I play. 

The problem I have with putting is that I always seem to be "right around" the cup... just not in! It's frustrating. So many burned edges. Any advice for getting through this and on to actually getting in the cup?

I've always found his particular style of British aplomb a touch off putting but I remember watching a "playing lessons with the pros" where Monty posits, believing you are going to make any particular 6 footer is more than half the battle. I begrudgingly agree.

British aplomb? That's American Hoosier aplomb.(I had to look up aplomb) Confidence is always good in putting. Glad you and Monty are thinking like me on the green.

Want to become a better putter?  Hit your approach closer to the hole. :lol:

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

The problem I have with putting is that I always seem to be "right around" the cup... just not in! It's frustrating. So many burned edges. Any advice for getting through this and on to actually getting in the cup?

Trust your pre shot routine. Make sure you do everything in your power to give you success( commit to your line, clear mind, think only of target). Let the putt go. If you miss, spend 8 seconds reviewing what you did. Did you concentrate? Were you set up correctly. If you did all you can do don't worry about missing. You can only control what you can control. Bad breaks happen. Don't be afraid to miss. So what. Set up perfectly every time, then don't concern yourself if it goes in or not. You will sink more putts when you are not worried about sinking putts.

The simple answer is that that are a limited number of things you can control. If you made a good stroke and started then all on your line then it is just the breaks of the game. Don't beat yourself up!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hi my name is PlaidJacket and I'm a damn good putter.

Trent that's a good motivational post. I mean that sincerely. Golf is so mental at times. However, 90% of my rounds are good putting rounds. Somedays damn good! It's always been the best part of my game. I've never asked for advice/lesson with my putting. My motto is leave it alone. I believe some people just have something in their mind or minds-eye that makes them a stand out putter. Just yesterday I played a match with three other guys. One of the guys is a very good (former scratch) player. He was always known as a very good putter. He's been somewhat away from the game for a few years but is getting back in. His short game is still rusty. But, and as I suspected; as the round progressed I starting noticing his putting improving. Sure enough by the time we finished he'd returned to his old form carding 4 birdies. Another guy I was with plays a lot but has never been that good of a putter and as expected he putted only mediocre. For this mediocre guy I think he just doesn't read greens very well and for whatever reason can't obtain good feel. Otherwise he's a pretty decent player.

I believe two things can sink a round and demoralize a guy more than anything. Poor driving and poor putting. Driving the ball into the fairway off the tee is critical. Putting your approach on the green is critical too. But, if you miss a green (like I do too often) and then once you're there end up 3-putting or worse (not me) .... you're a dead man. Do this a few times in a round and you're whipped. I've had numerous rounds where my driving was off or my approach shots spotty. But my putter always bailed me out.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• SPY VIP

My putting average was something like 28.8 last season or 1.6 per hole and I practice if I'm lucky once a week on putting. My personality is I talk about how bad a putter I am, I like to paint myself in a negative light. Pretty much helps me rattle my gambling partners and trust me it drives them nuts.

I can't count how often before a putt I say things like "there's no chance this goes in" or "I'm terrible at this distance" lol I try not to think about outcomes and just go do it. Golf's a weird mental game and to each their own I guess.

PS - I'm an OK putter and trust me when I say I've seen many, many better.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

This tips I will post were given to me 30 years ago by local pro. He told me try and always die the Ball in the hole-never under play break-on a right to left think a push stroke- left to right think a pull stroke.Only putting lesson i Took and to this day it still works daily for me.A 3 putt is very rare when i play. Putting maybe my favorite part of this great game

Keep it in the short stuff

My putting average was something like 28.8 last season or 1.6 per hole and I practice if I'm lucky once a week on putting. My personality is I talk about how bad a putter I am, I like to paint myself in a negative light. Pretty much helps me rattle my gambling partners and trust me it drives them nuts.

I can't count how often before a putt I say things like "there's no chance this goes in" or "I'm terrible at this distance" lol I try not to think about outcomes and just go do it. Golf's a weird mental game and to each their own I guess.

PS - I'm an OK putter and trust me when I say I've seen many, many better.

It's true! He's a real sandbagger when it comes to talking about his game. I saw some clutch putts from him when all he kept saying was this isn't going in and yet it would.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

went to the golf expo in Boston yesterday and overheard a decent tip.

Guy had a tee peg in the end of the putter and was saying don't ever let that tee point to your right shoulder (if you putt right handed)...

Thought that was a pretty good drill on making sure your wrists don't break down.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Archived