Worst conditioned course(s) that you just love to play

Big money

We all have them.The 9 - or 18 hole goat tracks that are in very bad shape year round.But are very enjoyable to play for many reasons.We had a local regulation 9 holer that I played all thru my youth and well beyond my college years.Greens were bumpy and slow / yardages were always off on markers/trees were over hanging and unkept/no rough - nor fairway just a big open field with 9 holes on it.I can go on and on.But what made it fun was all the kids my age would be there all day during the summer months.The stories and memories will always live on.It was sad to hear the day they sold to a housing development company a few years back.Course was terrible,but loved every second I was there .

Anyone else have those local goat tracks that you miss or still love to play?

• Like 1

Keep it in the short stuff

Had this executive course that was located by an animal bi-products plant.When the wind was just right it would smell like someone crapped in their pants for the entire round.The golfers and staff made the course fun to play.Particularily the shop girl who wore tight jeans and low cut tops all the time

• Like 4

I played many years on a little county course in middle Georgia that would not make the most notable courses in our state.  With that said, I had some awesome times there and the friends I made are family to me.   Soooooo many great memories made at that place and  I have hole #9 as my desktop background on my laptop.

• Like 4

Callaway  Rogue ST Max Driver 10.5
Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 7- wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Irons 5 - PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
  White Hot OG 7S Putter

I can't say I enjoy playing a nappy course. Although I do join some guys occasionally over at a local poorly kept muni. I do it because I enjoy the company of these fellows not the course. It's cheap to play there too so no biggie. Like Big money I have good memories of playing with my friends when we were kids. Mostly at the local goat ranch. As an adult I have a choice and I choose to avoid run-down courses. Why waste my time and money. 

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

We have two 9 holes that fit the bill.

One is a really neat and challenging par 35 that would be incredible if it were kept up well. The greens are good, but everything else is rough... cart paths are washed out gravel that will break your neck.

The other is a par 36 nine hole that was cut into a large chunk of river bottom land. Tee boxes and greens are nice, everything else is basically sandy loose soil. I've seen all sorta of characters there... best of all was a guy playing in cut-off bib overalls, no shirt, and a straw hat. When he was leaving, he drove out in a miata with plates that said ZZ TOP DOWN

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Great responses.@ Aliens8mycow: one of our best city players dressed like your ZZ Top guy. You would never realize he was a +3 player and a former division II standout. Now he mows greens every morning for $12 an hour and plays golf for free all day long after cutting

Great responses.@ Aliens8mycow: one of our best city players dressed like your ZZ Top guy. You would never realize he was a +3 player and a former division II standout. Now he mows greens every morning for $12 an hour and plays golf for free all day long after cutting

That guy has the life!

Tell you what - for all of the odd folks at that course, it's probably the most friendly atmosphere anywhere.

The first time my buddy and I played there, the lady at the pro shop gave us free shirts with the course logo! Told us to wear them 'back in the city' and tell our friends to come visit!

• Like 3

Lol... my home course! It's short, has no sand and dime size greens. They try, but it isn't what anyone would call a "nice" course. Even though it's short with no bunkers, it makes up for it with hard to putt greens and narrow fairways with trouble on both sides.

• Like 3

Mine was Swan Lake Golf Club in New York. It would have been a really nice course it was poorly taken care of. They had just aerated the greens but dumped it right next to the green. The sand traps haven't been touched in months and when they got heavy rain they let the water just sit on the greens.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Newman Golf Course in Ithaca NY. A little 9 holer, no traps, miniature greens that wouldn't pass for tee boxes today. My annual student membership was 75 bucks.

Living in Florida I will never play a poorly conditioned course a second time. Every course that I regularly play has either hosted some sort of professional event, is a private club or at least a 4 and a half star resort course.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

Old Sconset golf course on Nantucket Island in Massachusetts.

9 hole "pasture" golf but very serene and a lot of fun.

If you've ever been to Nantucket you know it's pretty much the haves and very, very few have nots.  

There is one private course that is even more exclusive than Augusta and one other well-known public course that starts at 125 a round.

This is an out-of-the-way-only-known-by-the-locals 9 holer that's been there since 1894 and is 30 bucks to play.  It's owned by the town (Nantucket land bank) so it can't be sold or developed and the land is worth many millions of dollars.

Every single time I've played there I can't help but smile.

Sconset_Golf-1.jpg

• Like 2

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

This thread has turned to the tone of Haves vs Have Nots.Some of these old clunkers are what makes golf great for everyone.Im not going to post further on this thread

Two come to mind for me.  The first is Cobbs Creek Olde in Philly and the second in McCall CC right across the street.  Cobbs was designed by Hugh Wilson (same designer as Merion) and was a great layout just not the best of conditions most times.  Also the only course that I lost all the cash I made on the course in a closest to the pin contest from the porch of the club house across the road to the 18th green.  Had not mastered the knock down 87 yard 9 iron at that point in my life.   McCall is a short par 66 that Ross did the first nine holes and William Flynn did a redesign and the last nine holes.  Longest hole is 371 and the green are dime sized that look like potato chips.  What it lacks in length it makes up for in the greens.  

• Like 1

WITB

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* GD AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* GD AD HD 7x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* Project X RDX Smoke Black 80 6.5

PXG 0311X 4 GD AD DI 95x

PXG 0311 ST 5 -GW KBS Tour 130

PXG Sugar Daddy 54* & 58* TTDG TI S400

L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 34"

My problem is, we have but one course as described within 25 miles of me. And I won't play it do to the condition. If it's in that bad of shape no matter what the layout, I can't play it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sandy Pond - 9 hole in Riverhead, NY. It's basically a par 3 course but it does possess elevation change and slope! There is also water that comes into play and some of the worst sand traps known to many...

The best part is that the course is usually run on the honor code! Just leave your money and enjoy your round..., just the way it ought to be

• Like 4

My local small town 9 hole course has really good greens, but inconsistent grass types on fairways, lots of trees, tall rough and a lot of unplayable areas off the fairways.

That said, it's a great place to practice during the day and if you're playing well there, you'll play well anywhere else in the area ;)

With the "Great Life" membership program I'm playing this year, it's one of the included courses that I can play without any additional fees, one of my best friends plays there and it's close to my house.

• Like 4

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

I started playing golf 25 years ago at a local 18 hole par 70 muni; used to be an Elks course.  Not in the best of shape but fun.  It was in a flood plain, and it flooded every winter.  About 20 years ago one of the pros at that club was asked by the Port of Benton to build a golf course off the end of a runway at one of our local airports.  It used to be a goat field.  He built a nine hole par 35 executive course; 2 par 3's, 6 par 4's, one par 5, and it became known as the local "goat track".  After he built it, I started playing there and I held the course record at 31 for many years.  Even the pro couldn't beat it.  The course had very tight fairways and you did not want to miss any of them.  If you did, you played out of the finest sandy silt you can imagine with rocks in it.  No bunkers and small, slow greens.  Eventually, a local high school kid who got a golf scholarship to Oregon shot 28.  

I met my wife there and we played that course for 14 years until 15 months ago when we made a decision to join a much nicer muni, and I haven't been back.  I don't know how many more years I can play golf, and I wanted to play at a  nicer course for the years I have left.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There is a short par 3 next to my house that I'll go to with my oldest son (4) if it is not too crowded. Very laid back so I lots of people bring their kids. My son loves it, I just have him start a hole about 10 to 20 yards off the green. If it is crowded we just hit the range and putting green so we don't slow other groups down.

• Like 2
:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls