Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Driver construction - how much is it the head vs. how much is it the shaft?

StrokerAce

Stroker... is your head about to explode? :wacko:

Pretty solid advice I'm reading here. Good luck.

Seem to have kicked the hornets nest here;  thank goodness I didn't ask what are the best off-the-rack clubs I can get for 800 bucks!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already sold the driver I have so I suppose the best use of that $$ will be to take it and go get fit and... maybe play without a driver until I get the funds to purchase whatever is recommended?

Why would you see your old driver without either having a new one on its way or already there? That makes ZERO SENSE.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think the moral is that there is no best. Only a best for YOU.

Also all this about not being able to get fit for driver and you are already doing a hybrid & iron fitting????

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Regarding #2, that's not correct. You can could probably get along with a number of drivers you could get used for $100, but without having been fit it would just be luck.

I gained about 15 yards of carry by getting fit for my driver. The driver I got fit for was the 2016 m1 with the stock shaft - which just plain worked for me. I previously was gaming the Srixon 545 driver.

Oh great!  Another MGS staff member chiming in!

If anyone is curious what MGS staff members want to discuss on the forums send me a message.   :lol:

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Oh great! Another MGS staff member chiming in!

If anyone is curious what MGS staff members want to discuss on the forums send me a message. :lol:

IMG_6285.JPG

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

....and thus comes the end of my day of getting judged, critiqued, and ridiculed.

Thanks all!  Been fun!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Oh great! Another MGS staff member chiming in!

If anyone is curious what MGS staff members want to discuss on the forums send me a message.

Stroker I'm not exactly sure why you're upset. Yes maybe there was a joke here about bobcat, but I don't think it was directed at you in any kind of malicious way.

You're a good member and always contribute to the conversation (questions are good. That's how we learn.)

But just because I'm staff and have a specific opinion doesn't mean it's fact. Same with Meyer and Dan. This is a COMMUNITY where we all are here to make this place the best it can be and to help each other learn.

Your question is a hard one to answer. You GOT honest answers from everyone, they're just hard to hear/make sense of when they don't fit the budget.

If you reread my post comparing the SLDR and G30, you'll see I say that at the very least the eyeball test will work. Do that, try two polarizing clubs out, and at the very least pick which one gives you the best ballflight and feel.

It's pretty straightforward that at $100 and with no fitting, that's probably the best you will get. If you want specific recommendations then I'd check out the G25/30 and SLDR. Those are two polar opposite and fantastic drivers.

BUT they may not be right for you. That's the catch. The fitting will unlock that, the blind test won't. If you don't like that I apologize, but you'd have to get crazy lucky to maximize what you can do without having a proper fitting.

Sorry if that offends you man. We are here to help, and sometimes the truth isn't what you want to hear and you have to make concessions. Maybe the concession you make is "this is good enough because it passes the eye test" and if that's the case, then have at it. Hopefully you find the best choice!

I would suggest you take advantage of your fitting and see if that shop offers used clubs. I would think your fitter would include a driver fitting for free (at least a basic one) if you are looking to take used inventory off his hands. Remember, he has an investment in that club to own it, so you're helping him out as well.

Hope that helps.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

But I don't have 100 for a fitting and.... x for a new driver.... and I can't play without a driver.

so... it's off to try a few things out and see what works.

Unfortunately I can't find a place that has a launch monitor where I can demo some used clubs for free.

GolfSmith used to have one but they closed up shop last year.

Oh well... I've been reading about the Callaway Great Big Bertha Alpha and the Nike Vapor. both of those are relatively inexpensive and the GBB Alpha has a bunch of different settings. Anyone tried that one?

Yes, had the original Alpha, the 815 Alpha, 815 Alpha DBD and the 816 Alpha DBD. If you are looking for forgiveness none of the should be at the top of the list. Good swing and good strikes produce great results...marginal swings produce not the best results. The Alpha is a lot more forgiving than the DBD versions but still not at the top of the list.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

If you want forgiving and seriously  inexpensive - an older Cleveland Classic can be had very reasonably on the Bay. It won't be custom fit, or maybe anywhere near optimal, but they are silly easy to hit and very, very forgiving.  Picked on up new a couple years ago on eBay for around $40.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Also to add to my post above what works for me may not work for you. Take me for a good example. My driver SS is in the 118 to 120 mph range and I have a high ball flight. Most people would think that says I am a high spin player and would fit into a low spin head with a low spin shaft. Through a lot of time on the launch monitor hitting balls we have come to the conclusion that a lower spin head with a mid launch/spin shaft in a heavier weight is the best combo for me mostly due to the tempo of my swing. I need a little help from the shaft to get optimal launch conditions while the head keeps it from spinning off the charts. Tried a bunch of combos with more loft and a lower spin shaft and they did not really work for me.

For reference, the shaft I played in both DBD heads was an AD DI 7x. Currently I have a 917 D3 with a Fuji Pro Tour Spec at 79g in my driver.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

If you want forgiving and seriously  inexpensive - an older Cleveland Classic can be had very reasonably on the Bay. It won't be custom fit, or maybe anywhere near optimal, but they are silly easy to hit and very, very forgiving.  Picked on up new a couple years ago on eBay for around $40.

Thanks!  I'll check it out.  Appreciate the tip!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Do you have any "mom and pop" type places around you that do club repair? We have one here that does club repair and club consignment. The guy that runs the place is very knowledgeable about equipment and was able to fit me to a shaft, by eye. He happened to have a used shaft and put it in my driver for $40 installed with a grip. If you can find somewhere like that, you can get the most bang for the buck.

On the flip side, I highly suggest going through a fitting, even if you aren't going to buy a driver. The knowledge you will gain is incredible.

For what it's worth, my 15 yr old son has a 105mph swing speed. I was looking, and found, a wishon 919thi driver on eBay that had what I assumed to be the wrong shaft, an integra 45gm shaft, but planned on getting him fit for a new shaft. He has loved it the way it is. Hitting on trackman last week his drives were incredibly tightly dispersed and distance was 290. Now we are wondering if we really should even mess with changing the shaft out. The best part is it was hardly hit, looks new, and I only paid 65 dollars for it. I would suggest looking for a wishon 919thi. Don't believe all the marketing hype and pay for their advertising!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

MGS did a test on this a number of years back - it's both.... The exact blend is harder to define so it's best to think 50/50...

Why not go for a driver fitting with yours. Tell the fitter what you have to work with and see what happens.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For what it's worth, my 15 yr old son has a 105mph swing speed. I was looking, and found, a wishon 919thi driver on eBay that had what I assumed to be the wrong shaft, an integra 45gm shaft, but planned on getting him fit for a new shaft. He has loved it the way it is. Hitting on trackman last week his drives were incredibly tightly dispersed and distance was 290. Now we are wondering if we really should even mess with changing the shaft out. The best part is it was hardly hit, looks new, and I only paid 65 dollars for it. I would suggest looking for a wishon 919thi. Don't believe all the marketing hype and pay for their advertising!

Love it!  I'm going for a fitting on Friday with a Wishon fitter (hoping that the Sterling one lengths work for me).  I'll definitely look into the 919!  Thanks for the tip.

65 bucks?!  what a deal!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

• SPY VIP

If your son is 15, has a 105mph SS and is hitting it 290 you better not be changing that setup at all.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Just saying,,,,, If it were me, I'd let Bob Cat fit me with an SLDR C  Special Edition......   ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

That driver is the equivalent of finding the holy grail at 105mph

An absolute perfect smash factor of 1.53 (which is extremely rare, even for tour players) would give him about 161 mph of ball speed - enough for about 271 yards of carry under absolutely perfect launch/spin conditions.

Come on guys, it's not that far of a stretch. I periodically hit it 350 at 120mph. DJ, Bubba, and Rory are all 125+ and don't always hit it 350. It can be done under ideal conditions. I mean, I hit my 3i 265 on TrackMan and it's maybe 230 in the real world.

An absolute perfect smash factor of 1.53 (which is extremely rare, even for tour players) would give him about 161 mph of ball speed - enough for about 271 yards of carry under absolutely perfect launch/spin conditions.

What are you using as launch conditions because I got 280 using 17/1700

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 10.47.52 PM.png

Come on guys, it's not that far of a stretch. I periodically hit it 350 at 120mph. DJ, Bubba, and Rory are all 125+ and don't always hit it 350. It can be done under ideal conditions. I mean, I hit my 3i 265 on TrackMan and it's maybe 230 in the real world.

this is why I love the Internet.

Keep it in the short stuff

for some reason, on this post, some (not all, but some) members have become very critical.  I'm not sure why that is....  MGS is usually very easy going and most of the comments are constructive and helpful.

reading through all of the comments reminds me of this proverb: " Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.  "

remember guys - we all come from different walks of life and different perspectives...let's all help each other out here.

life is short, be nice.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

290 105 swing speed

I will say it is possible. I was at MGS doing driver testing yesterday and after reviewing the numbers my swing speed was occasionally getting to the 105 mark and I had a few roll out to 290. This was done at sea level. I have also heard, but never experienced, that the are distance gains based on elevation

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived