Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver construction - how much is it the head vs. how much is it the shaft?

StrokerAce

for some reason, on this post, some (not all, but some) members have become very critical.  I'm not sure why that is....  MGS is usually very easy going and most of the comments are constructive and helpful.

reading through all of the comments reminds me of this proverb: " Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.  "

remember guys - we all come from different walks of life and different perspectives...let's all help each other out here.

life is short, be nice.

Well said Stroker and I'll be the first to apologize for being a bit of an ass.  It wasn't my intention to come off that way and I took it too far.  It won't happen again.

Also FWIW I was never comparing you to Bobcat.  Just reference his uncanny ability to pop in to a driver recommendation thread and say SLDR-C.  It was not a dig at you in any way.

Best of luck in your driver search!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said Stroker and I'll be the first to apologize for being a bit of an ass.  It wasn't my intention to come off that way and I took it too far.  It won't happen again.

Also FWIW I was never comparing you to Bobcat.  Just reference his uncanny ability to pop in to a driver recommendation thread and say SLDR-C.  It was not a dig at you in any way.

Best of luck in your driver search!

Thanks GSP Meyer!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

If you have a Bio Cell, look at your shaft.....try a Project X shaft, or even better, get an adapter and put a Paderson Kinetix in the head. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Bio Cell if you give it the right shaft.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Stroker, I swing alot slower but I've found a clubhead that a handful or so of different speeds liked. Cobra ZL Encore. IMO was very forgiving & solid. Getting tuff to find em.

Edit to add: me & several playing partners have said I was stupid to get rid of it.

Stroker, I would suggest that given your budget constraints that you do some research on used clubs in the $100 range and rank them based of what you think might work for you. Then go with trial and error in order of your list trying out different heads, lofts, or shafts as needed. The nice thing about buying used clubs off of eBay or similar is that you can usually sell them for what you bought them for if you are buying/selling in a short amount of time (and assuming you buy at or below market price). Also a chance to use the club on the course which is always nice. I have done this before and it is definitely tedious but if you have some patience I think you can get yourself something you would be happy with.

That being said I'll second the suggestion on one of the older models of the Ping G series. You could probably get a G20 or 25 in your price range. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

... A big part of a successful equation is knowing what kind of shaft works best for you. If you don't know that, I think many suggesting a fitting would be giving out good advice. Of course trial and error is a lot of fun too. I love experimenting with shafts and have over 35 in my basement. I have found a mid everything shaft works best for me. 100mph, smooth tempo and late release. Too stiff a tip and I can't get the trajectory or distance I am used to so I start swinging harder. Too soft a tip and I spin it too much and launch it too high so I start changing my swing. It isn't so much a conscious effort but the brain recognizes what is happening and attempts to get things where they are more comfortable. Similarly a mid weight shaft matches my tempo. Too heavy and I lose swing speed and too light and I start rushing in an attempt to feel the club head. Perhaps there have been some shaft's in the past you loved and worked well for you? That would be a good starting place. Good luck in your search!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

got fitted into a Titleist 816 H1 hybrid with diamana red shaft;  hit the 915d2 with diamana blue shaft while I was there and fitter said that'd be a good choice.

thanks for all the advice gents!

....fairways and greens with clear blue skies are in our future!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Archived