Driver construction - how much is it the head vs. how much is it the shaft?

Our Sponsors

But I don't have 100 for a fitting and.... x for a new driver.... and I can't play without a driver.

so... it's off to try a few things out and see what works.

Unfortunately I can't find a place that has a launch monitor where I can demo some used clubs for free.

GolfSmith used to have one but they closed up shop last year.

Oh well... I've been reading about the Callaway Great Big Bertha Alpha and the Nike Vapor. both of those are relatively inexpensive and the GBB Alpha has a bunch of different settings. Anyone tried that one?

Yes, had the original Alpha, the 815 Alpha, 815 Alpha DBD and the 816 Alpha DBD. If you are looking for forgiveness none of the should be at the top of the list. Good swing and good strikes produce great results...marginal swings produce not the best results. The Alpha is a lot more forgiving than the DBD versions but still not at the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well said Stroker and I'll be the first to apologize for being a bit of an ass.  It wasn't my intention to come off that way and I took it too far.  It won't happen again.   Also FWIW I was never co

I think this question can be answered a few ways.   The first aspect is pretty simple. Head is the biggest determining factor for sure. If you can't find something that optimizes spin/strike/launch

FWIW if you have $100 for a driver, you have a $100 for a fitting   I can tell you about the best size 10.5 shoes I've ever worn, but if you wear a 12 they aren't going to fit.  I can tell you abou

Posted Images

If you want forgiving and seriously  inexpensive - an older Cleveland Classic can be had very reasonably on the Bay. It won't be custom fit, or maybe anywhere near optimal, but they are silly easy to hit and very, very forgiving.  Picked on up new a couple years ago on eBay for around $40.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Also to add to my post above what works for me may not work for you. Take me for a good example. My driver SS is in the 118 to 120 mph range and I have a high ball flight. Most people would think that says I am a high spin player and would fit into a low spin head with a low spin shaft. Through a lot of time on the launch monitor hitting balls we have come to the conclusion that a lower spin head with a mid launch/spin shaft in a heavier weight is the best combo for me mostly due to the tempo of my swing. I need a little help from the shaft to get optimal launch conditions while the head keeps it from spinning off the charts. Tried a bunch of combos with more loft and a lower spin shaft and they did not really work for me.

For reference, the shaft I played in both DBD heads was an AD DI 7x. Currently I have a 917 D3 with a Fuji Pro Tour Spec at 79g in my driver.

• Like 1

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

If you want forgiving and seriously  inexpensive - an older Cleveland Classic can be had very reasonably on the Bay. It won't be custom fit, or maybe anywhere near optimal, but they are silly easy to hit and very, very forgiving.  Picked on up new a couple years ago on eBay for around $40.

Thanks!  I'll check it out.  Appreciate the tip!

G410 LST | King F7 | 818 H2 | Srixon Z785 | ZipCore | Newport 3

Do you have any "mom and pop" type places around you that do club repair? We have one here that does club repair and club consignment. The guy that runs the place is very knowledgeable about equipment and was able to fit me to a shaft, by eye. He happened to have a used shaft and put it in my driver for $40 installed with a grip. If you can find somewhere like that, you can get the most bang for the buck.

On the flip side, I highly suggest going through a fitting, even if you aren't going to buy a driver. The knowledge you will gain is incredible.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, my 15 yr old son has a 105mph swing speed. I was looking, and found, a wishon 919thi driver on eBay that had what I assumed to be the wrong shaft, an integra 45gm shaft, but planned on getting him fit for a new shaft. He has loved it the way it is. Hitting on trackman last week his drives were incredibly tightly dispersed and distance was 290. Now we are wondering if we really should even mess with changing the shaft out. The best part is it was hardly hit, looks new, and I only paid 65 dollars for it. I would suggest looking for a wishon 919thi. Don't believe all the marketing hype and pay for their advertising!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MGS did a test on this a number of years back - it's both.... The exact blend is harder to define so it's best to think 50/50...

Why not go for a driver fitting with yours. Tell the fitter what you have to work with and see what happens.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

For what it's worth, my 15 yr old son has a 105mph swing speed. I was looking, and found, a wishon 919thi driver on eBay that had what I assumed to be the wrong shaft, an integra 45gm shaft, but planned on getting him fit for a new shaft. He has loved it the way it is. Hitting on trackman last week his drives were incredibly tightly dispersed and distance was 290. Now we are wondering if we really should even mess with changing the shaft out. The best part is it was hardly hit, looks new, and I only paid 65 dollars for it. I would suggest looking for a wishon 919thi. Don't believe all the marketing hype and pay for their advertising!

Love it!  I'm going for a fitting on Friday with a Wishon fitter (hoping that the Sterling one lengths work for me).  I'll definitely look into the 919!  Thanks for the tip.

65 bucks?!  what a deal!

• Like 1

• SPY VIP

If your son is 15, has a 105mph SS and is hitting it 290 you better not be changing that setup at all.

• Like 4

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

If your son is 15, has a 105mph SS and is hitting it 290 you better not be changing that setup at all.

Hell I'm lucky to reach 290 with my 110mph ss

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:srixon-small: ZU85 18* Tour AD 95X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-9 Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 46F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Just saying,,,,, If it were me, I'd let Bob Cat fit me with an SLDR C  Special Edition......   ;) 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway Epic Flash 3 hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Arm Lock Putter 42 inch

That driver is the equivalent of finding the holy grail at 105mph

An absolute perfect smash factor of 1.53 (which is extremely rare, even for tour players) would give him about 161 mph of ball speed - enough for about 271 yards of carry under absolutely perfect launch/spin conditions.

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:srixon-small: ZU85 18* Tour AD 95X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-9 Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 46F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Come on guys, it's not that far of a stretch. I periodically hit it 350 at 120mph. DJ, Bubba, and Rory are all 125+ and don't always hit it 350. It can be done under ideal conditions. I mean, I hit my 3i 265 on TrackMan and it's maybe 230 in the real world.

An absolute perfect smash factor of 1.53 (which is extremely rare, even for tour players) would give him about 161 mph of ball speed - enough for about 271 yards of carry under absolutely perfect launch/spin conditions.

What are you using as launch conditions because I got 280 using 17/1700

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 10.47.52 PM.png

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Come on guys, it's not that far of a stretch. I periodically hit it 350 at 120mph. DJ, Bubba, and Rory are all 125+ and don't always hit it 350. It can be done under ideal conditions. I mean, I hit my 3i 265 on TrackMan and it's maybe 230 in the real world.

this is why I love the Internet.

Keep it in the short stuff

for some reason, on this post, some (not all, but some) members have become very critical.  I'm not sure why that is....  MGS is usually very easy going and most of the comments are constructive and helpful.

reading through all of the comments reminds me of this proverb: " Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.  "

remember guys - we all come from different walks of life and different perspectives...let's all help each other out here.

life is short, be nice.

• Like 4

290 105 swing speed

I will say it is possible. I was at MGS doing driver testing yesterday and after reviewing the numbers my swing speed was occasionally getting to the 105 mark and I had a few roll out to 290. This was done at sea level. I have also heard, but never experienced, that the are distance gains based on elevation

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG