TESTERS WANTED! ×

From The Bar! The new place for all things related to adult beverages.

GolfSpy Dave

I love a nice old fashioned at the end of a round. Sipping away sitting on the patio is a lovely way to end the day.

MsWalkrOfSky - 22.1 HDC - Best 18 hole Round - 80 at Rea Park Golf Course - Red Tees - 5,219 yards

Driver:       :PXG:             0211 2021 10.5* - Shaft Diamana s60 Limited - Stiff Flex

Woods:     :callaway-logo-1:        XR 3 Wood - Regular Flex

Acer                  XP Stainless 9 Wood 27*       

Irons:        :cleveland-small:         CG7 Black Pearl Irons 4-PW - A Flex

Wedges:   Kirkland          52*

Kirkland          56*

Kirkland          60*

Putter:      :ping-small:            PAL 5

Balls:        Pro V1 Yellow  

Other:      ShotScope X5 Watch and Sensors     

1. I was a single malt scotch drinker for decades until Lagavulin just got too expensive.
  2. Bourbon became my drink of choice about 5 years ago, love a good Old Fashioned w Makers 46, but the bourbon premium is getting $ out of hand now too.
  3. I think I'm drifting toward Irish Whiskies like Jameson Black Barrel. (Un)fortunately I have a lot of bourbon in the cabinet to get through before I make the switch.
  4. I also like Margaritas with Mexican food, and rum drinks when boating, but otherwise I've been a whisk(e)y guy for a LONG time.
  5. While playing golf it's usually beer only because it's convenient though Fireball, Bloodies and RTD Bourbon & Ginger Ale have made it into the golf cart cooler from time to time.
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

@Middler you know if you need help consuming some of that bourbon let me know. Woodford is my usual go to as that's what I can always find and I like it a little bit more than Makers. I agree with you that the premiums for bourbons are going nuts for some reason. I get it for Blanton's or Angel's Envy or other ghost bottles. But you can't ever find Buffalo Trace! And Weller, any Weller, is only occasionally in Ohio. 

Side note, I was talking to the guy at the local state store, and all that hard to get stuff is release day items. The shipments are posted to a site (OHLQ.com) at like 3AM on Saturday mornings, and they have people lining up in the parking lot by 4. And they don't open till 9. The "good stuff" is gone by 9:15. Not worth it, I'll stick to what's on the shelf.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 5 weeks later...

Aviation and Tonic, one slice of lime, one slice of lemon. 

If I'm having a beer, I want to have to use a knife and a fork... darker the better.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 2 months later...

Started stockpiling bottles of scotch around 15 years ago.  My thoughts at the time was the decrease in water quality which could potentially impact the taste.

While I have not purchased a bottle in over 5 years I still have close to 200 bottles in my collection.  My preference is smoke and peat profiles.  My favourite distilleries are Ardbeg and Laphroaig.  When I would find a bottle I really liked I would purchase 12+ at times, especially limited releases.

Glad I purchased the bottles when I did at a much lower price.  Could not justify the cost to enjoyment ratio today of many of my favourites.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

7 hours ago, ED13 said:

Started stockpiling bottles of scotch around 15 years ago.  My thoughts at the time was the decrease in water quality which could potentially impact the taste.

While I have not purchased a bottle in over 5 years I still have close to 200 bottles in my collection.  My preference is smoke and peat profiles.  My favourite distilleries are Ardbeg and Laphroaig.  When I would find a bottle I really liked I would purchase 12+ at times, especially limited releases.

Glad I purchased the bottles when I did at a much lower price.  Could not justify the cost to enjoyment ratio today of many of my favourites.

The only time you’ll get a flavor change in a whiskey is if the bottle is under half full. It’s not like wine where it changes in the bottle. Ardbeg is a go to of mine when sitting at a campfire the peat just goes so well with campfire

I agree above you need to finish the last half of the bottle a little quicker.  The age of when bottled does make a difference.

What I was referring to was the amount of older juice than stated which was added for a better flavour profile.  This ended once demand for scotch stated increasing.  For a number of years scotch was not very popular among the regular populous which lead to lower stock levels at distilleries.  When market was low more aged product made it into aged stated bottles to increase sales.  Demand started to increase due to demand of luxury goods (including scotch) in the asian market.  Pandemic demand went crazy for any liquor and no need to add anything past the stated age.

A friend of mine purchased a bottle of Glenmorangie and when I stopped by his house a week later I brought a bottle I purchased thirteen+ years ago.  Tasted the new version against the old and not even close.  I have one more of these bottles I plan on gifting it on his birthday.

One of my favourite bottles is Laphroaig Quarter Cask.  If I am going to swill a bottle in one night I pull a more recent bottle from around 5 years ago.  When I want a dram to really enjoy I open a much older bottle.  This scenario has played out many times.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 1 month later...

angels envy rye finished in rum barrels. 100 proof, very smooth and flavorful on the palate but with a little kick on the swallow. I got a bottle for $70 which seems like a bargain. Excellent out of a flask. can’t go wrong with angels envy in general, but their special releases are worth seeking out. 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

On 11/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, ED13 said:

I agree above you need to finish the last half of the bottle a little quicker.  .....

Never found that to be an issue....  LOL.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I know by sharing with every interested person I know I am reducing my chances, but in case anyone hasn’t seen Buffalo Trace’s awesome sweepstakes: https://www.willrunforbuffalotracebourbon.com

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

Cracked this Redwood Empire rye for a poker game on Friday night. Never had it before. Very tasty.PXL_20230120_143258411.jpg.4644f0d6fc7cb8b46b6985f02a124966.jpg

Garmin S10

• 1 month later...

Picked up this beauty not too long ago. It's a gentler Laphroaig, but still tastes like Laphroaig and that's not bad every once in a while.

IMG_9405.jpeg

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist TSR2 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 6:43 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

Picked up this beauty not too long ago. It's a gentler Laphroaig, but still tastes like Laphroaig and that's not bad every once in a while.

IMG_9405.jpeg

Not sure why gentler is a good thing, a good Scotch is supposed to be peaty 😉

Garmin S10

On 3/23/2023 at 8:19 AM, Hobert said:

Not sure why gentler is a good thing, a good Scotch is supposed to be peaty 😉

Meh, the 10 is my stock drink, but every once in a while I don’t want to be punched in the mouth quite that hard. I’ll go to the Lag 16 or some of the Bowmore bottlings and enjoy the heck outta them

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist TSR2 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 3:43 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

IMG_9405.jpeg

Interesting- will need to pick this up next time I’m in my local liquor store. 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

• 4 weeks later...

I am mainly a beer guy, I have been dabbling in sour beers for quite some time now and i'm loving them. 

I usually always have a few when playing with my buddies on the weekends. However most of my rounds these days are in the morning before work so no drinks during those rounds. It is interesting to see how much more I care about my rounds though when I am not having a few. I think it keeps me more engaged in every shot, even the bad ones, haha.  

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

So I was at the course today and ordered a Beermosa and the bartender said she'd been a bartender for 25 years and never heard of such thing. A little bit of orange juice with some draft beer and viola!! A perfect morning drink for on the course. If you have not tried, highly highly recommend! 

70447939457__37E9A443-0FD0-4349-9BAB-1332CB357AC2.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft Type 03 Putter

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 4:08 AM, tommyb1683 said:

I have been dabbling in sour beers for quite some time now and i'm loving them.  

I had some barrel-aged cherry sour beers last weekend from a local craft brewery and they were phenomenal. Definitely going back to grab more of those soon 

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :ping-small: :titleist-small: :nike-small: :wilson-small:O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, OG Bronze Anser, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Method Midnight 007, Wilson Staff 8802

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Tito's and Lemonade drinker.  Real lemonade jot that canned sweet stuff.  I recently played True Blue and the beer Cart girl said "oh someone knows what to drink!"  She then asked if I tried blueberry vodka and lemonade?  I had not. I love blueberry anything.  Ellicottville Brewing Companies Blueberry Beer is a favorite!  Well, tried it - now I'm hooked!

If you like blueberries you have to try it.  I have found beer is a great cool down but doesn't always quench my thirst. These lemonade infused drinks quench while hydrating.

If you try one let me know what you think. 

Edited by BKervin

B

There's nothing like a good Straight Bourbon to help me relax after a fun round of golf.  About four years ago, I found Uncle Nearest 1884 Small Batch and not only is a really good bourbon, the story of behind this product is fantastic.  If you don't know the story, check out this link. The Story of Nearest GreenUncleNearest.jpg.419b113617db25228ac998b4cc9f83ca.jpg

Driver :nike-small: Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree

3W & 5W Affinity Fairway

3 & 4 Hybrid Affinity

5i to PW :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max

SW :cleveland-small: 56 degree

Putter Kirkland Signature

Balls :callaway-small: Chrome Soft

4 hours ago, markcchap said:

There's nothing like a good Straight Bourbon to help me relax after a fun round of golf.  About four years ago, I found Uncle Nearest 1884 Small Batch and not only is a really good bourbon, the story of behind this product is fantastic.  If you don't know the story, check out this link. The Story of Nearest GreenUncleNearest.jpg.419b113617db25228ac998b4cc9f83ca.jpg

Very interesting!  I personally don't like whiskey/bourbon.  Love the story.

My favorite is Don Julio Respodo! Great n the rocks

B

Moscow mule and Tito’s please! Nothing like some refreshing ginger and lime to get the evening going after a long day!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

6 hours ago, markcchap said:

Good stuff. It's over priced, but it is good.

I am basically a bourbon drinker at this point. My go-tos are Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Forester 1920 Prohibiton Style. or Woodford Reserve. Seems like these are always on the shelf in my local stores. I will drink a little Crown or Irish when I'm in the mood. I'm not one to chase bottles, but I do keep an eye out for the better stuff when I'm buying.

Does anyone have a good Rye they recommend?

Take Dead Aim

8 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I am basically a bourbon drinker at this point. My go-tos are Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Forester 1920 Prohibiton Style. or Woodford Reserve. Seems like these are always on the shelf in my local stores. I will drink a little Crown or Irish when I'm in the mood. I'm not one to chase bottles, but I do keep an eye out for the better stuff when I'm buying.

Your regulars match mine. If that trend continues, I recommend you try New Riff, both the bourbon and the rye.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

1 hour ago, Siamese Moose said:

Your regulars match mine. If that trend continues, I recommend you try New Riff, both the bourbon and the rye.

That's awesome. I feel like Four Roses is such a steal. What's weird is Buffalo Trace is the one you can never find up in CLE. It's good for the price, but it's not like it should be some ghost bottle.

Take Dead Aim

21 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye is very good. Whistle Pig is also good, but it's a bit pricey, IMO.