TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing a Ball for a slower swing speed?

Brian A

Hello, new to this thing, so apologize if this isnt in the right place or I couldnt find the answer. So I got a few sample balls of the Volvik Vivid, and played them, actually scored the best round of my life (91...Im not that good) using them. I noticed on the box they say they are for swing speeds of 70-90mph, however my swing speed is well over 100, am I hurting my game or should not be using these?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

There are a lot of different theories on this depending on who you talk to in the industry.  The bottom line, as with just about anything in golf, is that those are more guidelines than a rule.  What you might typically see in this situation is a ball that will have a little more spin than normal on longer shots.  That could be good or could be bad depending on how you swing.

I base my ball choice off the same philosophy that Dean Snell uses.  Start around the green and work backwards to the tee.  Find a ball you like putting and chipping with that reacts the way you want it to.  Then move back to 100yds and 150yds and hit approach shots.  Does it still react the way you want it to?  Then move back to longer shots and off the tee.  Do you still like the feel?  If you can check those boxes then it doesn't matter what swing speed is marked on the box.

Dean does a better job explaining it than me.  You can read his take here.  https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

Bottom line is that a swing speed recommendation is just marketing.  If you like the performance and feel then game it!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Different schools of thought on ball fitting. Bridgestone looks at swing speed, but also spin. Their top-recommended ball during their ball fittings is the e6 - lower spin so it tends to fly a little straighter for golfers who need it, but it's still a 3-piece design for a level of control at the green (not Tour ball level, but not bad) and designed for distance.  Swing speed guidelines aren't etched in stone though - they fit me for the B330 even though it's rated for a 105+ MPH swing speed, and mine was around 100 due to spin and control around the green.  

Dean Snell, on the other hand, says most players should play a Tour-type ball for control and performance around the green, and then work backwards from there. His stance is distance off the tee is very similar for most, if not all, balls - so pick the one that performs best from 100 yards and in.  If you can't tell any difference, buy the cheapest one.

Generally speaking, balls designed for lower swing speeds tend to be a bit lower compression and wind up spinning less. If you're a slicer - a lower spinning ball can work for you - it won't fix a slice swing but it can help keep the ball in play a little.  

Not sure if this helps -- Bridgestone has a nice online ball fitting, and their new iPhone ball fitting app is pretty cool and relatively easy to use.  We wrote about it here:

https://www.mygolfspy.com/first-look-bridgestones-b-fit-ball-fitting-app/

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

All good information.  I rely on my short game because my swing speed is not that high and my wife's is less.  Both of us like the tour balls because of feel.  I like Snell's MTB, and my wife prefers Srixon Z-Stars.  It's just a matter of what you like in how it performs.  I tried the really soft balls thinking they would work better for me, no go.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Future test for MGS:  Gather up some golf balls, remove all branding, number them,  and let MSG members field test the balls and pick the one they liked the best.  I think we would get some interesting findings.

Hula out.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

One of the unused tidbits from our Dean Snell interview --  he says back in the day when they used to label balls as 90 or 100 compression, the real compression was probably around 70 or 80 but they labelled them 90 or 100 because no one would play them if they knew they were 70 or 80 compression.

To paraphrase the old commercial, the mind is a terrible thing...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Generally speaking, balls designed for lower swing speeds tend to be a bit lower compression and wind up spinning less. If you're a slicer - a lower spinning ball can work for you - it won't fix a slice swing but it can help keep the ball in play a little.  

This would explain why I wasnt slicing as much off the tee box, which is a huge problem. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

This would explain why I wasnt slicing as much off the tee box, which is a huge problem.

I always start at the green, there are certain shots that I prefer around the green that I would have to loose with a different ball from what I huge.

However getting the ball safely in play is ridiculously under rated. The longer and more serviceable (not necessarily in the fairway but in play) that you can consistently be the lower your scoring potential.

I would say start around the green but don't ignore the driver.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I always start at the green, there are certain shots that I prefer around the green that I would have to loose with a different ball from what I huge.

However getting the ball safely in play is ridiculously under rated. The longer and more serviceable (not necessarily in the fairway but in play) that you can consistently be the lower your scoring potential.

I would say start around the green but don't ignore the driver.

Hey Rev,  Get some rest !!!!!!  :)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I will when I get out of the hospital Hula. Its hard to rest here. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Check out Dean Snell on Facebook - he did a Live Q&A yesterday and discussed his feelings on this particular issue.  

Personally, I'm with Kev - you gotta take both into account, and there's no substitute for in-play.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I go with the Snell philosophy and play a ball I like around the greens and off my irons. For me if that works then it will be fine off the tee for the most part. This thought is somewhat validated by Tour pros as well. When they are playing alternate shot the ball in play is normally what both are comfortable with for the approach shot an not necessarily for the tee shot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Hello, new to this thing, so apologize if this isnt in the right place or I couldnt find the answer. So I got a few sample balls of the Volvik Vivid, and played them, actually scored the best round of my life (91...Im not that good) using them. I noticed on the box they say they are for swing speeds of 70-90mph, however my swing speed is well over 100, am I hurting my game or should not be using these?

Long story short - if your best round of your life is with a certain ball, then carry on using it. There isn't a ball invented that will help to lower your scores if you don't like how it feels. If you like the way it plays and let's face it the greatest majority of shots with any club for the amateur (and pros) is with the putter, then using a ball based on feel alone is perfect sense. Anyone who tries to sell a ball based on distance (remember that all balls must comply with stringent USGA/R&A initial velocity, size, weight etc. rules) is quite frankly peddling BS. I've seen and played every ball known to man and can tell you or anyone else quite categorically that they travel within 2-3 yards of one another regardless of construction. Fact.

So use a ball that putts nice - particularly if you struggle to break 90. End of story.

Back to the original question, I was wondering about this myself earlier. I did a bunch of ball testing at the simulator I use in the winter (and while admittedly not scientific) I came up with a couple of points. My swing speed (around 115 on a good day) will cause golf balls to go far away, I played harder "X" style balls, and softer balls, and they all went far. In fact, I thought the softer ones went a bit farther and I enjoyed hitting them more. They didn't cost me any type of distance at all. I liked the MTB and the Chrome Soft the most. 

I have a buddy who consistently outdrives me (we hate him). He swears by Callaway's Supersofts, which are not an expensive ball. He compresses them and because they have a low compression, they tend to spin a lot less. 

Speaking as somebody who also is not that good, I would say try to find something that fits your game right now, and you can always change later. Maybe the Bridgestone E6 or the Supersoft would work. Maybe the Velocity is your thing. At our level, you won't be hitting many greens in regulation, so don't worry about how much wedge spin you do or don't get. Make sure you can chip/pitch and putt it, because you'll do a lot of those. 

And I do love Dean Snell's advice, if you can't tell, just buy the cheapest one

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

This is some really good stuff here.

Working on the golf course I have been able to hit every ball that has come down pike, for free no less.

Ones like first Srixon's that they gave us no one really ever heard of beause they were a hard sell then and went away. 3 piece with green writing and way ahead of their time. All day sad when the last one was done Then the Balata's went away too as this was at the time solid cores were coming in. None were even close to those Srixon's then and a long time after. Now they all do well.

The one that FEELS right and performs for you is easier to find now. In most towns there is someone online selling good used balls so give them all a try and you'll be ok.

By way of suggestion there was also a ball by Srixon called the 333. Soft long and cheap. They to went away but sell like hotcakes in europe, and sometimes you can find them at walmart and on ebay. The Marathon we can get now is really not close. When I run short of freebie Z Stars and walmart has them I pick up some 333's when I can.

I believe its true compression or speed rating can be very misleading and have also found softer or slower speed rating are more consistent for me.

Snell is going to get a try out by me too, and no doubt one of the 2 will work.

Different schools of thought on ball fitting. Bridgestone looks at swing speed, but also spin. Their top-recommended ball during their ball fittings is the e6 - lower spin so it tends to fly a little straighter for golfers who need it, but it's still a 3-piece design for a level of control at the green (not Tour ball level, but not bad) and designed for distance. Swing speed guidelines aren't etched in stone though - they fit me for the B330 even though it's rated for a 105+ MPH swing speed, and mine was around 100 due to spin and control around the green.

Dean Snell, on the other hand, says most players should play a Tour-type ball for control and performance around the green, and then work backwards from there. His stance is distance off the tee is very similar for most, if not all, balls - so pick the one that performs best from 100 yards and in. If you can't tell any difference, buy the cheapest one.

Not sure if this helps -- Bridgestone has a nice online ball fitting, and their new iPhone ball fitting app is pretty cool and relatively easy to use. We wrote about it here:

https://www.mygolfspy.com/first-look-bridgestones-b-fit-ball-fitting-app/

I've seen the light and started using the b330rxs at barbajo's recommendation and I'd recommend them to anyone willing to try!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived