Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dave's New Brew Thursday

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

That's right my fellow lovers of the hop. This is the official Golfspy Dave's New Brew Thursday thread.

For the uninitiated, New Brew Thursday is one of the badges in the beer-is-Pokemon app from Untappd. What is Untappd? Only the coolest craft beer app out there. Find great beers, and record them when you drink them so all of your friends will know. And best of all, you can earn badges!

bdg_nbt_lg.jpg

New Brew Thursday is my favorite badge, and to earn it, you need to drink a new beer on a Thursday at least three times in a month. Since I started on Untappd a few years ago, this has become my Thursday ritual. Find something new and (hopefully) enjoy it.

And so, in this thread I will be sharing my new brews with you. I'll keep a running link list in this first thread and then add beers as the thread grows.

Want to join me on a Thursday? That'd be great. I'll try to post the beer beer before Thursday so you can run down one for yourself. Then we can compare notes. I'm trying to pick beers that have national reach, but sometimes it'll be local goodness.

Got another beer that you tried new on a Thursday? Just post it in this thread. I'd love to see what you have found.

Let the fun begin! Here is the first installment of my New Brew Thursday thread. To keep this fairly simple, I'll be dividing the reviews into a three categories:

Drinkability          Golfability        Buyagainability

There are lots of other beer review sites out there that can give you the nuts and bolts of hops, malts, specific gravity, and all of that. While I must admit, I geek in that direction a bit, typically I just want a beer that is pleasantly drinkable. That's why I'm keeping this simple.

• Did I enjoy the beer? (Drinkability)
  • Would I take it to the course? (Golfability)
  • Would I buy it again? (Buyitagainability)

If something crazy is going on, I'll expound on that, but beer should be a simple pleasure, even if it can be the most complex of beverages...

Cheers to my mygolfspy peeps!

The New Brew Thursday List:

1. Stone Brewing MEGAWHEAT DIPA - REVIEW - Brewery Link

2. Ballast Point Brewing Co. MANTA RAY DIPA - REVIEW - Brewery Link

3. Lagunitas IMPERIAL STOUT - REVIEW - Brewery Link

4. Firestone Walker Luponic Distortion and Fortem - REVIEW - Brewery Link

5. Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale - REVIEW - Brewery Link

6. New Glory Lemon Meringue Pie Specialty Ale - REVIEW - Brewery Link

7. Anchor Brewing Los Gigantes Mexican Lager - REVIEW - Brewery Link

8. Revision Brewing What? What? - REVIEW - Brewery Link

9. 21st Amendment Brewing Brew Free! Blood Orange IPA - REVIEW - Brewery Link

10. Ballast Point Brewing Co. Bonito Blonde Ale - REVIEW - Brewery Link

11. Ballast Point Brewing Co. Sea Rose Cherry Wheat - REVIEW - Brewery Link

12. Dogfish Head Flesh and Blood IPA - REVIEW - Brewery Link

13. Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel - REVIEW - Brewery Link

14. Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Across the World - REVIEW - Brewery Link

15. Deschutes Pacific Wonderland Lager - REVIEW - Brewery Link

16. 21st Amendment Watermelon Funk Sour Ale - REVIEW - Brewery Link

17. Sufferfest Brewery Summit Blonde Ale - REVIEW - Brewery Link

18. Mike Hess Grapefruit Solus IPA - REVIEW - Brewery Link

19. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA - REVIEW - Brewery Link

20. Saint Archer Citra 7 IPA - REVIEW - Brewery Link

21. Pinkus Organic Ur-Pils - REVIEW - Brewery Link

22. Howe Sound King Heffy Imperial Heffeweizen - REVIEW - Brewery Link

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Thursday March 9, 2017

Stone Brewing MEGAWHEAT Double IPA

StoneMegawheatDIPA.JPG

Kick back and crank it up as we've done all the brewing…the we being us and the special guest appearances of two heavy hitters in the indie craft beer industry: New Mexico's Marble and Colorado's Odell. Credited with 58 years of brewing chops, our trio built their wheat ale foundation on the classic “C” hops. Then, we rocked a pure hop triad of “M” hops to achieve a supercharged succession of orange, tangerine, lemon, lime, spice and dankness. The undulating riffs of Motueka, Mosaic and Mandarina Bavaria hops slash through the wheat haze with equal footing, never playing over one another. The cacophony of flavor is what fans would expect with a name like Megawheat. So join us as we forge ahead on a path that directly leads to the main stage…and then off the front of it, into the crowd!

If you feel the urge to smash the bottle afterward, don't. That's what guitars are for.

I love Stone Brewing a ton. Most of us probably first noticed their Arrogant Bastard ale, wondering if it was OK to call a beer a bastard... If you have delved into the beers from this craft beer leviathan, you know that they brew across the styles, from huge hop bombs, solid Belgian recipes, and experimental beers that are sometimes gross. Sometimes they are, sorry Stone :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRcA1sHB0Ek/

Back to the beer in hand, the Stone MEGAWHEAT DIPA is massive double IPA collaboration beer made with Marble Brewery in Albuquerque, NM and ODell Brewery in Fort Collins, CO. This collaboration has produced a double IPA that is anything but typical.

DRINKABILITY: Hell Yes

It has the bitter profile that you would expect at 70 IBU, but it is so much more than a mouth drying bitter-fest. The expanded wheatness must be responsible for taming the bitter. This beer is very balanced. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. It doesn't just go thin and palate-wrecking bitter. This is one delicious beer. It opens well as it warms, and holds the tastiness to the last gulp.

GOLFABILITY: Questionable

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance. 

MEGAWHEAT would be a welcome, quenching beverage during the round, but at 8.4% ABV, be golf-careful. It's sneaky. Super tasty, and not a hint that it's above 8%. Finish the 22oz yourself, and you may be adding strokes. It's a big beer. I'd take one to the course, but know that play could suffer for its deliciousness.

Buyagainability: For Sure

MEGAWHEAT is a limited release, and according to the Stone release calendar, we are near the end of its availability. If you see it, buy it now, because it will not be here in a month. I'll be grabbing a couple more for sure

Cheers!

Volvo Intorqueo

Need another category...sessionable?  i.e. is this a beer you could drink all night long or it is have one or two with dinner?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Also a craft brew - especially IPA and Double IPA - fan 👍

Haved used the BeerMenus app, but not Untappd .. so far.

But then I'm lucky to live in a town with a few different places that maintain an extended, and always changing, selection of craft brews on tap. There's also a great beer store nearby that expanded their section of craft brews, including some local to Long Island.

Cannot, though .. and won't even try! .. to describe them like Dave.....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

K, it's only Monday but due to imminent blizzard plus wife's work schedule our usual date night got moved. But I did try a new brew: Stone Ripper Pale Ale.

Stone has some great IPAs, but this one was on tap - and it was happy hour - so gave it a try. Some Pale​ Ales are good, but I usually prefer the deeper color, aroma, taste bitterness hoppiness of a good craft IPA.

Well... This one passed the test!

Deep color, passable aroma and bitterness, nice flavor and .. for a pale ale .. good finish.

Dare I say: almost IPA-worthy. Stone has another winner

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

K, it's only Monday but due to imminent blizzard plus wife's work schedule our usual date night got moved. But I did try a new brew: Stone Ripper Pale Ale.

Stone has some great IPAs, but this one was on tap - and it was happy hour - so gave it a try. Some Pale​ Ales are good, but I usually prefer the deeper color, aroma, taste bitterness hoppiness of a good craft IPA.

Well... This one passed the test!

Deep color, passable aroma and bitterness, nice flavor and .. for a pale ale .. good finish.

Dare I say: almost IPA-worthy. Stone has another winner

Cheers!

Ripper is a good beer. Not perfect, but enjoyable. It has just a bit of the bandaid/phenol taste in the finish.

I think that Ripper cans will make for great golf bag beers this summer. Not as dangerous to the game as big IPAs.

Volvo Intorqueo

Cheers!

Ripper is a good beer. Not perfect, but enjoyable. It has just a bit of the bandaid/phenol taste in the finish.

I think that Ripper cans will make for great golf bag beers this summer. Not as dangerous to the game as big IPAs.

Yeah, they would be a good choice .. very drinkable and thirst-quenching!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

This Thursday evening I'm enjoying one of my favorites from Lagunitas BrewingUndercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale. 

It's 9.6 abv. Copper/reddish brown color, rich and malty with a touch of hop bite. It's described as an  "Imperial mild" by Lagunitas, whatever that means. I can only find it a few times a year, so I stock up when I see it!

• SPY VIP

Happy New Brew Thursday! :D

Tonight's beer is Ballast Point's new double IPA, Manta Ray!

Manta Ray.JPG

You may be familiar with Ballast Point's old double IPA, Dorado. I'm not totally sure if this one is replacing Dorado, or if the two fish will be swimming together in the Ballast Point line up. I'm thinking together since they are not really the same kind of DIPAs. Could get confusing though. Regardless, here is what BP says about Manta Ray:

This new IPA rises above the rest.

We've developed many IPA recipes in our R&D program, but right from the tank, our Manta Ray Double IPA was a winner. Aromas of fresh, citrusy tangerine, melon and light pine leap from the beer and linger over a smooth finish. Like its namesake, this brew can sneak up on you – a big beer without a bite.   

02-beers-primary-image-MantaRay.png

AVAILABILITYYear-round in: 12oz. Bottles & Draft

ALC. BY VOL8.5%

BITTERNESS 70 IBUs

FOOD PAIRINGSChinese Salt and Pepper Wings, Bay Blue Cheese. Dungeness Crab Cakes

DRINKABILITY: Hell Yes

Two weeks in a row at 70 IBU. I promise that we will not only be featuring hop bombs. That said, this one will hit the hop highs that you are looking for. Pretty dry on the finish like a tried and true West Coast DIPA. Don't expect a lot of malt balance. Manta Ray swims in bitter seas, and is happy to do so.

GOLFABILITY: Questionable

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance. 

Manta Ray is hugely refreshing. I just hit a large bucket in the high 70° weather (subtle brag for March 16th), and this beer hit the spot for sure. Thirst quenching, even if bitter on the backside. It's up there in the ABV danger zone though. Personally, I'd think twice about hitting the second bottle at the turn. 

Buyagainability: Likely

Manta Ray is a solid beer. Not holycrapineedmoreofthis, but solid. I'd never turn one down, and would grab another sixer if there was nothing new to tempt the palate. It's a solid reserve player, but not a beer I'd actively seek out. I will be having a second one though shortly :)

Link to Ballast Point and all of their San Diego beer goodness. HERE

Volvo Intorqueo

Cheers!!!

Also a fan of some of the Ballast Point offerings .. will look for this one!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Cheers!!!

Also a fan of some of the Ballast Point offerings .. will look for this one!

It's pretty darn good. Dorado is much maltier, and boozier at 10% abv. This one plays nicer at 8.5%

Volvo Intorqueo

IPAs? No my fav... let's move on please.

Kenny! I may have to un-friend you for that blasphemous sacrilegious nonsensical hogwash.

Ha, well .. different strokes for different folks......!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Kenny! I may have to un-friend you for that blasphemous sacrilegious nonsensical hogwash.

Sorry, I will drink an occasional IPA but I prefer dark ales.  We haven't friended so I can't be un-friended.   ;)   I will take care of that!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sorry, I will drink an occasional IPA but I prefer dark ales. We haven't friended so I can't be un-friended. ;) I will take care of that!!

Ah, OK: dark ales are good!

(Friends again .. forgive the uncalled for knee jerk reaction of horror)

Now I recall a pic from your AZ trip of you with a dark and tasty brew!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I am a Untappd noob. I didn't even know they had "challenges" like this.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Me either...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

It is absolutely blasphemous! Speaking of IPAs, Stone has an all IPA sampler pack out right now that is amazing! 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

If you guys see them.in your area, try out some of the verrrrry tasty offerings from Firestone Walker .. another CA Brewer with a few varieties of IPAs and Stouts.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

21st Amendment Brew Free or Die ... ¡muy excelente!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Happy New Brew Thursday!  :D

Tonight's beer is Lagunitas' Imperial Stout!

IMG_1170.JPG

Dark, Thick, and Scary

Made with Highly roasted malted barley, and plenty of it, to give the beer an uncommon richness and smoky, roasty depth…sorta like a hydraulic sandwich in a glass. 

AVAILABILITYYear-round in: 22oz. Bottles & Draft

ALC. BY VOL9.9%

BITTERNESS 45 IBUs

FOOD PAIRINGSFabulous Frapples a la mode with frozen cinnamon vanilla yogurt

DRINKABILITY: Hell Yes

Ok Kenny, here is your non-IPA. This is about as non-IPA as one can get. The Lagunitas Imperial Stout is a beast in a bottle, yet it's a smooth and smoky beast. Truth be told, I've been enjoying this beer on many a Thursday, but since it jumped off the Costco shelf and into my cart last weekend, I thought that it made a great sharing beer.

So rich and creamy and just begs to be blended with a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints. If I can find some, I'll post a video right before hitting the diabetic coma.

GOLFABILITY: That's a Nope

Lagunitas Imperial Stout is very drinkable, but I don't know that it's a beer that I'd turn to to quench my dusty golf mouth. Perhaps going two or three on the bottle as a pre round eye opener, but this style is not something that I'd necessarily reach for on the course.

IMG_1169.JPG

At 9.9%, don't expect the golf game to be the same after putting this beast in your belly. Sure, after drinking it you'll be more attractive, funnier, and way smoother when you chat up the cart gal, but your swing will probably be straight ass.

After the round with a big cigar and a brownie could be the most perfect thing ever though.

Buyagainability: Again and again

I've probably bought a dozen of these over the years. Reason one: it's really good and always available. This and Old Rasputin from North Coast brewing are my go to imperials. BA Rasputin and Rasputin on nitro are must drinks too if you run across them...

Reason two: this 22oz bottle was only $3.99 at Costco. In addition to pissing off Titleist, Costco also has a killer beer selection these days. Prices are solid, but $4 for this beer is just crazy. By ABV alone you have a bargain. It's like the Maddog 20/20 of craft beer, except that the Lagunitas Imperial Stout is delicious.

I will buy this again and again. I went big spender and dropped $8 for two this time around. Just flinging the paper in Costco #highroller

Link to Lagunitas. HERE

Want to see the coolest bottle opener ever. Check out this LINK to the Lagunitas swagshop.

Volvo Intorqueo

Wow. Banned in NY (switchblades).

But in the main subject:

Imperial Stouts f***in ROCK!!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

You made me thirsty! Headed to Costco!!

Second that! May have to join Costco just for this deal ;)

Gonna check this afternoon if my fave store in town - the local craft beer distributer - has this; or if not, they do take requests!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Keep an eye out for the Cappuccino Stout too. Seasonal release without jacked up pricing. One of my favorite things about Lagunitas.

Volvo Intorqueo

Good review on the stout! I was wondering where you were going to go with the golfability for that one... I would imagine that it is probably better served as an after-round beer.  Lagunitas is a pretty solid brewery though!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x