TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave's New Brew Thursday

GolfSpy Dave

On the road again today. Tune in later for shots and thoughts from Jack Russell Brewery in Placerville CA

http://www.jackrussellbrewery.com

Jack Russell???!!??

Cute scrappy terriers AND craft beer!!??!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Terrapin Hopsecutioner

IMG_20170716_164945933_HDR.jpg

Touted as "very hoppy" it lives up to that promise :)

Tasty, beautiful dark color .. a good one!!

Oh, PS:

We're in Myrtle Beach but not playing golf here. Driving North to Jacksonville, NC for step-son's graduation from Phase 2 of Marine training .. then we'll make a few stops on the way back towards Myrtle and play at a few courses I scoped out on Google Maps near the coast.

PPS:

Second one guy handed me the can. 6 (SIX!) types of hops:

Chinook

Simcoe

Amarillo

Cascade

Centennial

Warrior

ABV 7.3

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

K, MidWest or Southern guys - sorry:

IMG_20170716_182355758.jpg

This is from Missouri.

Labeled as "robust and malty, with an intense hop profile"; IBU 93 .. .. but I'm not 'feelin it...'

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Not sure what I'm getting here, but .. what da heck....

IMG_20170716_190745831.jpg

Here's their description:

IMG_20170716_190859066_BURST000_COVER.jpg

(sorry slightly out of focus)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Not sure what I'm getting here, but .. what da heck....

attachicon.gifIMG_20170716_190745831.jpg

Here's their description:

attachicon.gifIMG_20170716_190859066_BURST000_COVER.jpg

(sorry slightly out of focus)

Well, was it any good?  McMenamin's in Portland has a Ruby ale that is quite tasty.  I like to mix it with their Terminator Stout... call it the Rubinator.  I can go into any of the 60+ pubs/restaurants in Washington and Oregon and order one, and they know what it is.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, was it any good? McMenamin's in Portland has a Ruby ale that is quite tasty. I like to mix it with their Terminator Stout... call it the Rubinator. I can go into any of the 60+ pubs/restaurants in Washington and Oregon and order one, and they know what it is.

Your combo sounds much better! By itself, it wasn't bad but unremarkable.... The Stout would definitely improve it - gonna try that!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Mother Earth "Sisters of the Moon"

IMG_20170718_182040184.jpg

Catchy name, huh?

We're overlooking the beach on the North End of Topsail Island, NC .. this is touted as a local fave and yeah - it's tasty! Medium color, slightly hazy but crisp and refreshing with enough but not too much hoppiness and bitterness.

Oh, PS:

We did golf today (it's not just a drinking trip) .. did OK, too - 44 on 9 with one Mulligan; lotta crappy tee shots but decent scrambling after that, tho had three 3-putts :(

More golf tmrw!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

It's Thursday!!! Can't wait to see what's new today.

Just left the Dr. office; stopped for happy hour on my way to the golf course for 9-holes with my wife. My old staple... Iron Horse Irish Death has been missing for 3 months. It's back!!

IMG_0744.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

New Brew Thursday: Sufferfest Summit Blond Ale

http://sufferfestbeer.com

IMG_2061.JPG

A trophy for a job well done, the Summit Blonde sports bright citrus and mango notes and a crisp, smooth finish, making this beer the ultimate thirst quencher. Its golden color, rich flavor and balance make for excellent drinkability. The Summit is a true champion.

Alcohol Content: 5.7%

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 50.5

Color: Golden

Style: Blonde Ale (with Pale Ale relations)

This blonde was not the intended beer.

IMG_1982.JPG

I had a totally different beer that I was going to write up this week. That beer was Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I had it camping last week and it was pretty spectacular. Scoring: Very drinkable, too high ABV for golf, and impossible to buy again here in CA. My brother scored a four-pack through some SoCal mail order vendor. $10 a can was OK for curiosity, but not for continued consumption. Those of you who get it all the time know that it's solid.

As I said, I was all ready to write more on that beer, and then I swung by Whole Foods where some reps from Sufferfest Brewery out of San Francisco were having a tasting. Initially, I was not that interested since they were gluten free, and my experience with other gluten free beers has been meh at best. But it was free beer, and who would be silly enough to turn that down.

Turns out, the three beers were all very good. Gluten be damned!

IMG_2059.JPG

We're dedicated to making really, really great tasting beer that everyone can enjoy. Sufferfest was born out of the needs of athletes. We want a great tasting beer after a good, hard sweat, but don't want to subject our bodies to too much gluten. Now, 1 out of 6 Americans avoid gluten to avoid joint pain, inflammation, fatigue or GI irritation. Our special brewing process removes the gluten allergen during fermentation, preserving the taste and integrity of the beer. Simply put, you get all that great beer taste you want, but without the gluten!

Here is a blurb from their site about how Sufferfest Brewery came into being:

In 2012 when Caitlin Landesberg discovered she was gluten intolerant, she started her quest to find the best gluten-free beer in the world. After turning up short, she started brewing and experimenting at home. After teaming up with an all-star brewmaster to perfect her recipes, Caitlin started to share her beer with friends and fellow trail runners. , Caitlin left her job in late 2015 to pursue Sufferfest Beer Company full-time and officially launched the company in March 2016. Now, we're a team of fun-loving athletes who love to sweat for our beer.

Love that story. Look for gluten-free beer, find out that most of it is shitty, and then make your own. All three of the Sufferfest beers that I sampled were delicious, but I focused on the blonde ale, Summit, because I think that it hits the golf-beer window quite nicely.

DRINKABILITY: You'll not Suffer

This is a pretty darn interesting blonde ale. At the outset, I think that blonde ales make for great golf beers. They are usually pretty flavorful, thirst quenching, and moderate in ABV. Kind of boring in the grand scheme of beers, but solid bag packers for the round.

I picked this one to share because while the pilsner and IPA were both solid beers, the Summit Blonde had a ton of complexity in its taste profile. It has a ton of citrus and fruit tastes, more like a pale ale than a blonde, which was a nice surprise. The best thing about the beer though is that the tastes really transition when you drink it. There are early, middle, and late taste characteristics that come through. Think Violet chewing the five-course gum in Willy Wonka.

The changes are that noticeable, and that's a good thing. Summit also finishes very clean and light, there will be no rolling you off of the course to go to the juicing room.

GOLFABILITY: Big Cans Can Do

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

This beer comes in four-packs of 16oz cans, perhaps the ultimate in the golf bag beer delivery system. That's a plus. It tastes good; another plus. The low(ish) ABV of 5.7% hits the wheelhouse. All good things. If you have a gluten issue, this beer may change your life.

I'm fine with gluten, but I have a friend who I golf with who is not. He loves beer though, and will tip a few when we play. His gluten response is gas, horror show gas. It's so bad that the grass browns around his feet at he walks the fairway. His gluten issues are so noxious that he has actually been kicked out of a cab for delivering the foul. For him, and those of us with him, gluten free matters a whole lot.

Buyagainability: In The Hunt

Retail on the four-pack of Sufferfest Summit Blonde at WF was $10.99 here in NorCal, and they are available at lots of Whole Foods, so you can hopefully find it yourself. Pricing is pretty good, and I'll likely add it to my list of golf options. It's not going to be a oh my God they have it type of beer, but it's good, and I'll buy more here and there.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It's Thursday!!! Can't wait to see what's new today.

Just left the Dr. office; stopped for happy hour on my way to the golf course for 9-holes with my wife. My old staple... Iron Horse Irish Death has been missing for 3 months. It's back!!

attachicon.gifIMG_0744.JPG

Dammmmit, Kenny - just read that to my wife and now she wants happy hour *before* golf too....!

:lol:

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

NC local Highland Kashmir IPA

IMG_20170721_121440263.jpg

From the label...

"A statement. From Appalachia, American Chinook, Citra and Centennial Hops from the Pacific Northwest shine in our West Coast-style IPA. A sturdy malt bill frames hints of tropical fruit, lemon rind, grapefruit and dank hop notes. Brilliant and golden in color, expect a dry, resiny, citrusy finish."

ABV 7%

Oh, PS:

This was my fave of a few different NC local crafts.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Dammmmit, Kenny - just read that to my wife and now she wants happy hour *before* golf now....!

:lol:

We usually stop after golf (and we did), but after the Dr. said I was OK for another 6 weeks, I thought I deserved a refresher.  It worked too... as I said in the How'd you play? thread, I had two improbable birdies and a +2 9-hole round.  I might have to stop in again before we play tonight!!

My Father in law and Wife both have Celiac's and my FIL told me that the Sufferfest is his new favorite. Good gluten Free beers are few and far between and he's tried everything he can find. I  have yet to try it, but glad to see it scored well with you

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

We usually stop after golf (and we did), but after the Dr. said I was OK for another 6 weeks, I thought I deserved a refresher. It worked too... as I said in the How'd you play? thread, I had two improbable birdies and a +2 9-hole round. I might have to stop in again before we play tonight!!

Aha, good Dr's report = good reason to celebrate! :)

"Improbable"? For an old pro??? Nahhh.....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Mike Hess Grapefruit Solus - 5.jpg

http://www.mikehessbrewing.com

Grapefruit Solis kicks it up a notch by taking an awesome San Diego–style IPA and pumping it full of citrusy grapefruit—we're talking real fruit, zest and juice. The hops complement the zestiness, and the subtle malt makes this an award-winning, crisp, and deliciously refreshing India pale ale.

I hate grapefruit.

Seriously, I can't stand it. I think that it starts with the misleading name. There is nothing grape-like, or even really fruity about this misnamed acidic abomination. Whenever I see someone eating one for breakfast at a restaurant, I wonder if it also came with a side of self-hatred. Please remember to squeeze the remaining juice from the rind directly into your mouth. I'll just be silently gagging over here at my table.

With that background, you can imagine my hesitation to try grapefruit anything. My usual response is NOPE. I've had hundreds of screwdrivers in my life, but only one greyhound. Maybe one quarter of a greyhound.

Mike Hess Grapefruit Solus - 1.jpg

But I love beer, and I love it so much that I was convinced to try a grapefruit IPA, Grapefruit Sculpin from Ballast Point to be precise, and low and behold, I enjoyed it. Maybe I'm finally getting my grown-up taste buds.

Today, I have for you a different grapefruit IPA from a different San Diego brewery: Grapefruit Solus IPA from Mike Hess Brewing. Will the grapefruit enhance the flavor of the already deemed excellent by me regular Solus IPA, or will its bitter juices soil yet another fine libation?

Stay Tuned for that answer, and a look at the greatest cans ever to hold beer.

DRINKABILITY: Citrus without Sickness...

Lots of IPAs will have “citrus” flavors. Crazy thing is that these flavors come from the hops used, and not from one ounce of actual citrus juice. Alvarado Street Brewery in Monterey, CA makes a great citrusy double IPA called: Contains No Juice. Such a great name, and beer.

Grapefruit Solus IPA does contain juice: grapefruit juice.

Truth be told, it's quite good. I don't even need to hold my thumb over the word grapefruit on the label to hide its presence from my conscious mind (totally subconscious in that photo above).

The grapefruit adds a different citrus profile to Solus. It is a little bitter, but the malts balance it out perfectly. Sort of like when those of you who go that way put a bit of sugar on the fresh fruit (I imagine). It's definitely got the grapefruit flavor in there, but the grapefruit flavor is a complementary cast member in the taste drama as opposed to a pungent solo performance.

GOLFABILITY: This Can Kills

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance. 

Hot round refreshment at its finest. This is a great why is it still 100 °F beer. On the course, at the pool, in the back pew at church, on line at the DMV, and anywhere else that fine refreshment would be welcome.

At 7.5% though you are probably splitting the six-pack with your group, or just interrupting your afternoon stagger with occasional ball striking. Personally, I'd limit this one as one a side.

Anyone else watching Forged in Fire? Not sure the channel, but it's the show where guys (all guys so far I think) forge knives and swords and then the experts chop stuff. Wildly engaging for me for some reason. The best part is when the martial arts expert chops fake bodies with the knives to see how lethal they are. He always says after “This knife, will kill.” When he says kill he does so with a strange/unique inflection. If you've watched, you know what I am saying.

Mike Hess Grapefruit Solus - 2.jpg

Anyway, the Grapefruit Solus IPA can totally kills. It is downright amazing as when you pull the tab, the whole top of the can comes off for easy wide-mouth drinking. Yes, it's wider than a Micky's Bigmouth, and with less subsequent bad decisions as well. I love this pull top opening, and I am now at the point where I find standard cans inferior and irritating. Soon, all cans will have Mike Hess RadCanâ„¢ lids, and the world will be a better place for it.

Mike Hess Grapefruit Solus - 3.jpg

I poured this beer in a glass so you can see the color and haze, but all other Mike Hess beers will be drank straight from the can, man.

Buyagainability: Yes, but I'd Go Normal

Mike Hess Grapefruit Solus - 4.jpg

Grapefruit or not, this is a great IPA. Very refreshing and the RadCanâ„¢ Lid makes the whole drinking experience that much more fun. By the way they are not really called RadCanâ„¢ Lids, but they should be. That's my gift to you Mr. Hess.

Rip Open a RadCanâ„¢

OK so they are actually called Open Mike lids which is a great name as well, but I know which on is my favorite name...

Anyway, I'll buy more of this beer, but if given the choice, I'd probably go with regular Solus instead. I just like it a bit more. That one so far has only been available in 16oz 4-Packs. Would love to see them move to 6/12oz as well.

Heading to SD over Labor Day weekend again this year. Hopefully this time around we can make it to the Mike Hess Brewery. There are a whole lot of beers on their menu that I need to try!

Volvo Intorqueo

Love the second pic .. very creative!!!

(with the cute pup-pup!!!)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

North Coast Brewing

Fort Bragg, CA

"Old Rasputin"

Russian Imperial Stout

Kenny - that's my buddy Phil :)

This is an excellent, dare I say ¡Muy Excelente!, representation of the species .. dark, full-bodied, ohhh sooo tasty and really quite pleasing (especially at 9% ABV).

* Strongly recommended!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

North Coast Brewing

Fort Bragg, CA

"Old Rasputin"

Russian Imperial Stout

attachicon.gifIMG_20170727_193558088.jpg

Kenny - that's my buddy Phil :)

This is an excellent, dare I say ¡Muy Excelente!, representation of the species .. dark, full-bodied, ohhh sooo tasty and really quite pleasing (especially at 9% ABV).

* Strongly recommended!

Old Rasputin is delicious. On nitro it's nuts. Probably had gallons at local pub.

Volvo Intorqueo

Thursday night at Cocoa Beach.....on the deck with family and flames and the Bourbon is tasty.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

First time trying this Seattle MicroBrew.  It is a great beer when you are hot and thirsty.  Even though it says "infused with honey", I did not find this beer to be sweet.  

PIKE HIVE FIVE GOLDEN ALE INFUSED WITH HONEY

IMG_0745.jpg

• ABV: 5.0%
  • IBU: 26
SURPRISINGLY DRY & EASY DRINKING.

Northwest springtime in a glass, Pike Hive Five is a light and crisp golden ale with just a slight sweetness and clover-like essence of honey on the finish. 

MALT VARIETIES

Organic Pale, Organic Pils, Munich, Malted Wheat, Carapils, Flaked Oats and honey from the bees in the Salish Lodge & Spa's apiary.

HOP VARIETIES

Amarillo, Bravo

Salish Lodge & Spa, overlooking the majestic Snoqualmie Falls, is a must see destination for locals and visitors alike. Tucked on the hill above the famed lodge are a collection of well tended bee hives from which we get the delicious honey for Pike Hive Five. When Pike Hive Five made a brief appearance as a seasonal beer it quickly garnered loyal fans. And then it received the gold medal at the Washington Brewers Festival. That's when we knew that we had to make this unique  beer a year-round offering. Canning the beer was the natural choice, as it is really made to be enjoyed outside. 

IMG_6949.JPGIMG_6948.JPG

A sour Stout. Didn't think I would enjoy it but I do. Will return to this brewery.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

New Brew .. and, New Golf Buddy .. Tuesday.

Lagunitas Waldo's Special Ale

Gonna start with the ABV...

11.9%

Then the IBUs...

100+

Here's the description from their website...

"Herbaceous. Botanical. Dank. Resinous."

This brew does NOT disappoint! The original Lag IPA is pretty good, not great, but enjoyable. As I find and sample more of their creations I am becoming more and more a fan of theirs .. good stuff!!

And .. I got to enjoy it with my new golf buddy, fellow MGS'er @LIRich

We met for a twilight 9 after he finished work and then stopped for two more rounds ;) afterwards.

Oh, that's me on the left - we're looking at the "selfie" screen to make sure I got both of us plus the taps in-between us into the frame.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Happy New Brew Thursday and IPA Day!

So first things first, let's get a little IPA education going. These three letters don't mean the same thing to everyone. I found this great Venn diagram on Twitter this morning.

It's East vs. West (vs. England?) all over again. Definitely going to find a different beer in your glass if you order and IPA out in Cali as compared to New England, or Old England for that fact. Relax, it's all beer though so all's well. For today's beer, I'm actually heading East Coast.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

https://www.dogfish.com

Dogfish 60 Minute - 1.jpg

It's hard being the sequel, unless you wrote the original story. Inspired by the continual hopping process we invented with 90 Minute IPA, 60 Minute builds on that one-of-a-kind process and flavor, crafting a solid gold hit that's found its own identity.

“The most balanced IPA on the market” -Wall Street Journal

Brewed using a boatload of intense Northwest hops, we boil this continually hopped IPA for a full 60 minutes, adding more than 60 hop additions continuously to create a bold and timeless flavor. Continually hopped to deliver a pungently, citrusy, grassy hop flavor without being crushingly bitter, 60 Minute IPA is a surprisingly sessionable IPA for the craft enthusiast.

You'll quickly see why this sequel has become our best selling beer, and why you'll find yourself coming back to it again and again.

Alcohol Content: 6.0%

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 60

Color: Golden orange

How Have I Not Had This?

By total ignorance, I bring you another beer from Dogfish Head. Keeping track, I wrote about their Flesh and Blood IPA a few months back. I was shocked that this beer is actually new for me. Yep, never drank it.

Cool story interlude: Was sitting in Whole Foods, looking for a solid IPA for IPA Day. Funny thing about liking a particular style of beer is that you quickly run out of new beers to sample. That's when I spied the bottle of 60 Minute IPA in the singles section, and checked Untappd to see if I had drank it. Totally assumed that I had, and I was wrong.

I've had the 90 Minute, the 75 Minute, and even the mythical 120 Minute, but never the 60. 

DRINKABILITY: East Side Local

To quote myself from the Flesh and Blood review, “The IPAs from Dogfish are always a little maltier than our west coast versions.” With the 60 Minute IPA, there is no question that you are back east. It's a much more reserved hop aroma, and the malt backbone is meaty.

As I drink it, I think that I like it, but it's not 100% in the affirmative column just yet. It seems a bit heavy to me, and the finish is just a bit off. Perhaps I've had too many ultra-bitter, face-imploding west coast IPAs and this one is flowing over a mute palate.

Dogfish 60 Minute - 2.jpg

GOLFABILITY: Wee Heavy for Me?

Obviously if I'm questioning the drinkability, I would hesitate to bring this one to the course. However, that's likely just a personal taste issue. It does seem a tad heavy for course refreshment to me though.

The 6.0% ABV is nice though. That shouldn't do immediate damage to the scorecard. I love that the text on this one from Dogfish Head lists it as a sessionable IPA. Come on you guys, 6.0% is not a session beer. Go sub 5% and we will talk.

Buyagainability: Waiting another 30 Minutes

No more 60 Minute for me. I'll definitely go 90 Minute again, but the 60 just misses and will not likely find a way into my shopping cart though.

I'm glad that I grabbed this bottle of the DFH 60 Minute IPA, not just because it was a new beer to check in, but also because I think that it helps me to define what kind of beer suits my tastes. East Coast IPA may not be my bag. Still holding out for a can of Heady Topper though. That and Sip of Sunshine may change my view on where my IBU's will be invested.

Volvo Intorqueo

Happy New Brew Thursday and IPA Day!

So first things first, let's get a little IPA education going. These three letters don't mean the same thing to everyone. I found this great Venn diagram on Twitter this morning.

It's East vs. West (vs. England?) all over again. Definitely going to find a different beer in your glass if you order and IPA out in Cali as compared to New England, or Old England for that fact. Relax, it's all beer though so all's well. For today's beer, I'm actually heading East Coast.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

https://www.dogfish.com

attachicon.gifDogfish 60 Minute - 1.jpg

It's hard being the sequel, unless you wrote the original story. Inspired by the continual hopping process we invented with 90 Minute IPA, 60 Minute builds on that one-of-a-kind process and flavor, crafting a solid gold hit that's found its own identity.

“The most balanced IPA on the market” -Wall Street Journal

Brewed using a boatload of intense Northwest hops, we boil this continually hopped IPA for a full 60 minutes, adding more than 60 hop additions continuously to create a bold and timeless flavor. Continually hopped to deliver a pungently, citrusy, grassy hop flavor without being crushingly bitter, 60 Minute IPA is a surprisingly sessionable IPA for the craft enthusiast.

You'll quickly see why this sequel has become our best selling beer, and why you'll find yourself coming back to it again and again.

Alcohol Content: 6.0%

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 60

Color: Golden orange

How Have I Not Had This?

By total ignorance, I bring you another beer from Dogfish Head. Keeping track, I wrote about their Flesh and Blood IPA a few months back. I was shocked that this beer is actually new for me. Yep, never drank it.

Cool story interlude: Was sitting in Whole Foods, looking for a solid IPA for IPA Day. Funny thing about liking a particular style of beer is that you quickly run out of new beers to sample. That's when I spied the bottle of 60 Minute IPA in the singles section, and checked Untappd to see if I had drank it. Totally assumed that I had, and I was wrong.

I've had the 90 Minute, the 75 Minute, and even the mythical 120 Minute, but never the 60. 

DRINKABILITY: East Side Local

To quote myself from the Flesh and Blood review, “The IPAs from Dogfish are always a little maltier than our west coast versions.” With the 60 Minute IPA, there is no question that you are back east. It's a much more reserved hop aroma, and the malt backbone is meaty.

As I drink it, I think that I like it, but it's not 100% in the affirmative column just yet. It seems a bit heavy to me, and the finish is just a bit off. Perhaps I've had too many ultra-bitter, face-imploding west coast IPAs and this one is flowing over a mute palate.

attachicon.gifDogfish 60 Minute - 2.jpg

GOLFABILITY: Wee Heavy for Me?

Obviously if I'm questioning the drinkability, I would hesitate to bring this one to the course. However, that's likely just a personal taste issue. It does seem a tad heavy for course refreshment to me though.

The 6.0% ABV is nice though. That shouldn't do immediate damage to the scorecard. I love that the text on this one from Dogfish Head lists it as a sessionable IPA. Come on you guys, 6.0% is not a session beer. Go sub 5% and we will talk.

Buyagainability: Waiting another 30 Minutes

No more 60 Minute for me. I'll definitely go 90 Minute again, but the 60 just misses and will not likely find a way into my shopping cart though.

I'm glad that I grabbed this bottle of the DFH 60 Minute IPA, not just because it was a new beer to check in, but also because I think that it helps me to define what kind of beer suits my tastes. East Coast IPA may not be my bag. Still holding out for a can of Heady Topper though. That and Sip of Sunshine may change my view on where my IBU's will be invested.

I'd give it a try.  I like maltier.

I've had the dogfish before....and I'm not a huge fan of the 60 either

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson