Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Dave's New Brew Thursday

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Taking the show on the road tomorrow. Driving up to Corvallis Oregon for a weekend rugby tournament.

I'll post what I find brewery-wise here and on twitter https://twitter.com/golfspy_dave

There are at least three excellent breweries in town. Sky High may have the best patio ever. Whole roof is open!

Stay tuned.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

New Brew Cans Tuesday.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170620_175146059.jpg

Ahhh... lots of good choices... am LOVING the craft beer movement!!

Starting on the left:

* Firestone Walker, Paso Robles CA

"Beer Before Glory"

Luponic Distortion

No. 003 in a "Revolving Hop Series"

5.9% ABV

Hoppy, crisp, flavourful .. great, great brew. Everything I've had from Firestone Walker has been really really good.

* KelSo, Brooklyn NY

"Beer Helps" .. see: @kelsobeer

Imperial India Pale Ale

"A double IPA with bold malts and huge hops"

10% ABV

The name KelSo is an amalgamation of the names of the husband and wife owners / brewers. Don't know if they have kids or pets but they put a whole lotta luv into this .. and all their .. brews.

* Cigar City Brewing, Tampa FL

Jai Alai India Pale Ale

7.5% ABV

First had this on draft when out to dinner with friends and was actually pretty surprised at how good it was! Rich, dark color, plenty hoppy and a bit aromatic, not overpowering; with a taste that I'd say is an excellent example of what an IPA should be (in this amateur tester's humble opinion!).

* Oyster Bay Brewing Co., Oyster Bay NY

IPA

"..drinkable, savory .. that will make your mouth water"

6.1% ABV

Any Billy Joel fans may recognize the name of the town of "Oyster Bay". He also lived for awhile overlooking the water in Lloyd Neck, about 2 1/2 miles from where we live now.

Anyway, craft brewers and local brew pubs seem to starting up every other week somewhere on Long Island .. the problem is: how am I ever gonna be able to get to all of them to support them and to test their creations...??

;-)

That Kelso looks really interesting. I may need to see about getting some shipped to SoCal.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

• SPY VIP

Short story for Corvallis, OR

Four breweries downtown. All excellent.

Flat Tail

Block 15

Sky High

Oregon Trail

Probably leaning Block 15 as the fave for beer, but the rooftop patio at Sky High kills. IMG_1889.JPGIMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

Volvo Intorqueo

attachicon.gifIMG_6481.JPG

As far as I am concerned. This is the GOAT.

Just had one of these last night. Pure Bliss!!

Have you tried DeSchuttes Fresh Squeezed! Also awesome

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Flat Tail

Block 15

Sky High

Oregon Trail

Probably leaning Block 15 as the fave for beer, but the rooftop patio at Sky High kills. attachicon.gifIMG_1889.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1891.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1897.JPG

Awesome .. Yeah nice view! Love the beer flight!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Just had one of these last night. Pure Bliss!!

Have you tried DeSchuttes Fresh Squeezed! Also awesome

Yes indeed. Good but definitely not something that excites me when I see it. I've been underwhelmed since it has been out.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

• SPY VIP

Deschutes' Pacific Wonderland Lager

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com

image2.jpeg

Citrus, floral and herbal hop flavors, with a delicate malt body and crisp, clean lager finish.

Alcohol Content: 5.5%

Color: Bright Gold

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 40

Hops: Hallertau Herkules, Hallertau Mittelfruh, Tettnang Mandarina

Yeast: Lager

Malts: Pilsner

Not On My Oregon Itinerary

As you know from my, albeit brief, on the road post last week, I am just returning from a road trip to Oregon. It was a lightning strike of a trip, spending just enough time up there to speed-taste the four downtown breweries in Corvallis, and to watch my son's all-star rugby win the varsity division.

RCT Champs.jpg

If that's not a photo of pure joy, I don't know what one is. And yes, that's my son in the air having kicked the tournament-winner.

Proud poppa interlude aside, one city in Oregon barely gets you started on all of the great beers that the state has to offer. Portland alone crushes the beer offerings of many other states, or even a few states combined. I guess if it rains that much, one had better find something fun to do indoors. After my first choice is finished, I'd have 23.5 hours to brew as well. OK, 23.75 hours.

I think that sometimes I forget about Deschutes. It's a great brewery, but it's been around so long that I overlook it. The beer is great, but I overlook it because it's not the newest and coolest. I was recently tasked with buying beer for my mother-in-law's birthday party. In this situation, I typically go mixed multi-pack. That way there should be something for every taste.

After the first pull of Black Butte Porter, I remembered how much I like this brewery. When I checked Pacific Wonderland Lager in Untappd, I found out that I had not even had that one before! New Brew Thursday here we come.

DRINKABILITY: Totally

Lagers are so refreshing when done right. They are not always “done right” because they are actually much harder than ales to brew. Temperature control and water purity are the big issues. Ales can hide a whole bunch of flaws that would make lagers undrinkable, or at least nasty tasting.

Pacific Wonderland Lager (PWL from no on) is a great tasting lager. It has the bit of crisp from the pilsner malt, but doesn't have the pilsner's biting finish. It's got more body than the usual trash-in-a-can American lagers though, you know who you are.

Refreshing in the NorCal heat for sure.

GOLFABILITY: Glass is only flaw

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

image3.jpeg

At 5.5%, PWL is a lock for loose, but not loaded golf. Plus, it does taste great and refresh.

If this came in cans, I'd probably be buying it by the case for golf. I've never broken a bottle that I've taken to the course, but that No Glass thought just can't be shaken. For some reason, I abide by it more with 12oz bottles more than 22oz-ers. Seems backward as the big one is way more glass...

Buyagainability: Multiple-Multipacks

I bought the first mixed 12-pack for the party, and then I bought the other one for me. Probably another in the future too. How can you go wrong with Black Butte Porter, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Fresh Squeezed IPA, and PWL.

Deschutes makes excellent back-up beers. Not in the way that if nothing else is there, choose this. More like how an excellent rhythm guitar player can keep the song tight when the lead goes off into crazy solo territory. Their year-round releases are just flat out solid. Obviously, I need to drink more of them!

image5.jpeg

BTW, yes, that is a daybed in the background of the first photo. First summer with it in the backyard. There is no better nap setting. Beware, you won't get anything done for the rest of that day as soon as you enter the nap cycle.

Volvo Intorqueo

Love Deschuttes Brewery, just learned about their Fresh Squeezed IPA, damn good

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Flat Tail

Block 15

Sky High

Oregon Trail

Probably leaning Block 15 as the fave for beer, but the rooftop patio at Sky High kills. attachicon.gifIMG_1889.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1891.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1897.JPG

Ahhh, my home town!  Grew up there.  I was just there last Monday-Wednesday.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Deschuttes just came to Raleigh, NC. Draft only but bottles soon. Now if we could only get Ironhorse (Irish Death) or Funky Buhda (Last Snow) my life would be complete.

Every pub in town has Irish Death on tap.  Iron Horse Brewery is 100 miles away.  It's not my fav dark beer, but it's certainly drinkable.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

21st Amendment Brewery's Watermelon Funk Sour Ale

http://21st-amendment.com

WaterFunk3b.JPG

We have transformed our summertime watermelon wheat beer into Watermelon Funk, a mind blowing, shake your booty, interlocking sour bass lines with syncopated sweet fruit notes and downbeat aromas and we give you all that in a signature groove with the hip and sway of Lady Liberty.

Alcohol Content: 6.7%

Color: Pale Straw

Hops: Magnum

Yeast: French Saison

Malts: Two-Row Pale, White Wheat

Special Ingredients: 100% Fresh Watermelon Puree, Lactobacillus planterum

Beer School Is in Session

I hope that you took the time to watch that video. It's a great lesson in how beers come into existence and how sours can be made commercially. I didn't know the story about the original version that was made in collaboration with Russian River. Did you catch him mention Toronado in there? That San Francisco bar has an amazing beer selection on tap, and holds a special place for me because that's where I first tried “that beer with the funny name”, Pliny the Elder.

I've been known to enjoy 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer in the summer. It's light and refreshing. I can't down many though, as the wheat beer taste gets old on my palate.

In contrast, there is nothing old about Watermelon Funk as it really does blast the watermelon madness well beyond its lightweight sibling.

DRINKABILITY: Funk Yeah

For the uninitiated, sour beers can be quite the first sip experience. Most people either love or hate them. Not much middle ground. Personally, I love them, and the more sour the better as far as I'm concerned. Keep that in mind as you read.

Watermelon Funk has plenty of sour. I hate it when you buy a sour that isn't sour. I want my mouth to pucker so hard that it's almost inside out after swallowing the funky elixir. This one delivers a nicely tart finish that feels balanced overall.

“Balanced Sour” seems like an oxymoron, but Watermelon Funk has enough going on in the non-sour arena to balance the tart. The saison yeast taste definitely comes through, adding to the overall complexity and enjoyment.

As one who likes sours, I found Watermelon Funk quite drinkable and satisfying.

GOLFABILITY: Danger of Watermelon Crawl

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

WaterFunk2.JPG

I actually drank the first one of these on the course. Packed it in blind based upon the Hell or High Watermelon pedigree. Luckily, it was a welcome quench during the hot afternoon round. Actually had two of them on the front. It happens, it was warm.

After two of them, I felt like I had hit the zone for lubed links, but be aware that this one has a 6.7% kick, compared to the 4.9% in Hell or High. As a sour, it almost doesn't taste like beer, and it's easy to tip back that one that puts you in the bag with your bag.

Buyagainability: Funked It Up

I'm not totally sure if this beer is limited in its run. It's not listed as a seasonal, rather as a part of the Insurrection Series for 21st Amendment. I have no clue about that series. My guess is that it will be their experimental line.

Regardless, I'll grab another sixer of Watermelon Funk for the remaining hot months, both at the course and the pool.

WaterFunk1.JPG

Balance grasshopper is key. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

I need to find some of this and give it a try

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

My drink of choice tonight was a double tall Makers Mark and Water....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

21st Amendment Brewery's Watermelon Funk Sour Ale

http://21st-amendment.com

attachicon.gifWaterFunk3b.JPG

We have transformed our summertime watermelon wheat beer into Watermelon Funk, a mind blowing, shake your booty, interlocking sour bass lines with syncopated sweet fruit notes and downbeat aromas and we give you all that in a signature groove with the hip and sway of Lady Liberty.

Alcohol Content: 6.7%

Color: Pale Straw

Hops: Magnum

Yeast: French Saison

Malts: Two-Row Pale, White Wheat

Special Ingredients: 100% Fresh Watermelon Puree, Lactobacillus planterum

Beer School Is in Session

I hope that you took the time to watch that video. It's a great lesson in how beers come into existence and how sours can be made commercially. I didn't know the story about the original version that was made in collaboration with Russian River. Did you catch him mention Toronado in there? That San Francisco bar has an amazing beer selection on tap, and holds a special place for me because that's where I first tried “that beer with the funny name”, Pliny the Elder.

I've been known to enjoy 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer in the summer. It's light and refreshing. I can't down many though, as the wheat beer taste gets old on my palate.

In contrast, there is nothing old about Watermelon Funk as it really does blast the watermelon madness well beyond its lightweight sibling.

DRINKABILITY: Funk Yeah

For the uninitiated, sour beers can be quite the first sip experience. Most people either love or hate them. Not much middle ground. Personally, I love them, and the more sour the better as far as I'm concerned. Keep that in mind as you read.

Watermelon Funk has plenty of sour. I hate it when you buy a sour that isn't sour. I want my mouth to pucker so hard that it's almost inside out after swallowing the funky elixir. This one delivers a nicely tart finish that feels balanced overall.

“Balanced Sour” seems like an oxymoron, but Watermelon Funk has enough going on in the non-sour arena to balance the tart. The saison yeast taste definitely comes through, adding to the overall complexity and enjoyment.

As one who likes sours, I found Watermelon Funk quite drinkable and satisfying.

GOLFABILITY: Danger of Watermelon Crawl

attachicon.gifWaterFunk2.JPG

I actually drank the first one of these on the course. Packed it in blind based upon the Hell or High Watermelon pedigree. Luckily, it was a welcome quench during the hot afternoon round. Actually had two of them on the front. It happens, it was warm.

After two of them, I felt like I had hit the zone for lubed links, but be aware that this one has a 6.7% kick, compared to the 4.9% in Hell or High. As a sour, it almost doesn't taste like beer, and it's easy to tip back that one that puts you in the bag with your bag.

Buyagainability: Funked It Up

I'm not totally sure if this beer is limited in its run. It's not listed as a seasonal, rather as a part of the Insurrection Series for 21st Amendment. I have no clue about that series. My guess is that it will be their experimental line.

Regardless, I'll grab another sixer of Watermelon Funk for the remaining hot months, both at the course and the pool.

attachicon.gifWaterFunk1.JPG

Balance grasshopper is key. :)

Well, that sounds good.  Let's go in here and see if I can get one.

IMG_0740.jpg

EDIT:  Nope, no 21st Amendment beer, but the Reuben sandwich was really good with a Lagunitas IPA.  I told them with a name like Amendment XXI, they really need to carry 21st Amendment Brewery beer.

attachicon.gifIMG_6641.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6642.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6640.JPG

Was in Morro Bay and came across Libertine Brewery.

Nice looking labels! And "Wild IPA", huh? Think I'm scheduling a trip out to the Left Coast to go try them out.... :)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Nice looking labels! And "Wild IPA", huh? Think I'm scheduling a trip out to the Left Coast to go try them out.... :)

Just let me know where and when.  Golf and beer tasting...  hmmm!

Just let me know where and when. Golf and beer tasting... hmmm!

Yessir!!!

Possible we may be making a trip to So Cal in the near future .. not sure how long we'd be able to extend it .. but absolutely will let you know if and when it happens .. thx!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

IMG_6742.JPGIMG_6741.JPG

I'm drinking a few bangers right now. Shorty golf today but great beer.

Net: awesome day off.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

Yessir!!!

Possible we may be making a trip to So Cal in the near future .. not sure how long we'd be able to extend it .. but absolutely will let you know if and when it happens .. thx!!

I think you should let me know. I'm bad at golf but great at beer.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

I think you should let me know. I'm bad at golf but great at beer.

Ha, love it - sounds like the country song: "I'm not good at ((work stuff)) .. but I'm pretty good at drinkin' beer"

Anyway, same here - barely adequate golfer, pretty good beer drinker.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

"Save The Robots"

Yeah, no kidding, that's the name Radiant Pig gave to this IPA

IMG_20170711_204108423.jpg

Light in color but strong on flavor - a good one!

Sorry, Dave but passed on the Watermelon one...

Tried the Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale next. Nice but a touch on the malty side for me, though still very drinkable ;-)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yessir!!!

We are headed to Palm Springs in January!!!

We are headed to Palm Springs in January!!!

Do they have craft brews there?

Ha, will check wife's work schedule - maybe!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

On the road again today. Tune in later for shots and thoughts from Jack Russell Brewery in Placerville CA

http://www.jackrussellbrewery.com

Volvo Intorqueo