TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave's New Brew Thursday

GolfSpy Dave

So I'm new to he beer section of MGS. This is my expertise for sure. Just had a Trillium New England Wild Ale! Wow! If your co I g to Boston- Trillium Craft Beer is a must! Also, if our have time, take the drive out to western MA and hit the Tree House brewery in Monson is on the bucket list

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So it's Monday...

(but it's another day of the week that ends in "_day" just like Thursday)

Southern Tier Brewing Nu Skool IPA

Subtitled:

New American Hops with A Tropical Twist

IMG_20170508_173348762.jpg

OK this one has GolfAbility! Refreshing, crisp taste and a bit lower - 6.0 - on the ABV.

Admittedly, these "Session" IPAs are not my faves - tho I do try one from time to time - but this one has BuyAgainAbility.

Very drinkable and pleasant, on-course and off.

Southern Tier has a few good craft brews; worth checking out if you see them.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Ballast Point's Bonito Blonde Ale

BP Thursday Beers - 1 (2).jpg

An approachable beer, with some substance.

Our Bonito blonde ale is inspired by our perma-sunny days. This brew draws you in with its golden color and soft malt character, while the light mouthfeel and dry finish keeps you coming back. And what would set a San Diego blonde apart? A subtle hint of hops, naturally.

AVAILABILITY:  Year-round in:12oz. Bottles, Cans & Draft

ALC. BY VOL.: 4.5%

BITTERNESS :20 IBUs

This week marks a return to San Diego's Ballast Point Brewery. You may be wondering why, with all of the breweries out there, I am already back to Ballast Point. I could tell you it's because I like their beer that much, and I do, but I also like many other beers so that's not it.

Truth be told, it's because Ballast Point contacted me and suggested that Bonito Blonde would be a great beer for golf. If a company takes the time to reach out like that, I can definitely take the time to drink their beer.

BP Thursday Beers - 2 (1).jpg

DRINKABILITY: Great Blonde with bonus

Bonito is a solid little blonde ale and is inherently drinkable. It's interesting on the finish. Definitely a little more dry and bitter than I was expecting. Perhaps it's that little extra kiss of hops in the brew. I'd almost describe the finish as a little pilsner-like. That's the lingering dry bitterness that I taste.

I know it's not a pilsner. I'm just a guy, drinking a beer, and letting you know my thoughts.

Anyway, don't be surprised if you are halfway through that six-pack before you know it.

GOLFABILITY: Flawless Victory

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

BP Thursday Beers - 1.jpg

Bonito is light and refreshing, comes in cans, and has a low ABV (4.5%). I can't think of a more golf-friendly combination. Maybe if the can could act as a tee, or suggest proper clubs for yardages then you'd have a more golfable beer. Until that happens, this is a fine beer for any round of golf.

Buyagainability: Staple Status Cemented

Ballast Point's Bonito Blonde may not be as super fancy as some beers out there, but it's simplicity is super effective. I'll definitely buy more of these this summer, and it will always be in the take to the pool/course/camping/boating/adventure conversation.

BP Thursday Beers - 2 (1).jpg

Bonus Beer!!!!!!!

Ballast Point's Sea Rose Tart Cherry Wheat Ale

BP Thursday Beers - 2.jpg

A crisp wheat ale with a tart cherry twist.

Our Sea Rose tart cherry wheat ale is a fresh take on fruit beers. Originally conceived during an employee-led R&D brew, it's one of our most imaginative recipes yet. The American wheat style is light and clean, while fresh cherry juice adds a soft coral color and fruity nose that gives way to a dry, slightly tart finish. It's approachable, yet unexpected—exactly what we love to brew.

AVAILABILITY: Year-round in 12oz. Bottles & Draft

ALC. BY VOL: 4.0%

BITTERNESS: 8 IBUs

What is this? Another new beer this week? Am I trying to push the boundaries of my  liver? What's going on here? Well, truth be told, Ballast Point didn't just suggest beers that would be great for golf, they actually sent them to me as well!

BP Thursday Beers - 1 (1).jpg

There is the lesson for other breweries out there. If you send me beer, I will drink it. I'll likely even write about it too!

And so, here is a little bonus coverage of Ballast Point's Sea Rose.

DRINKABILITY: Probably a YMMV Situation

Sea Rose will likely not have the universal appeal as Bonito, and I'm sure that this comes as no surprise to BP, or to those of you wondering just what the hell a tart cherry wheat ale is all about.

Simply put, Sea Rose is a very light bodied wheat beer, with a little extra touch of fruit flavor and tartness. I know I just basically repeated its name, but it's pretty spot on. It has the thinner body of the wheat ale. Not much malt body at all (aka wheat ale). The cherry is not overpowering, nor is the tartness. I'd not go so far as to call this one sour. Wife thought it had a wine-like taste.

Some will like it (me), some will pass (she).

GOLFABILITY: Swing if your Palate Says So

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

If you are one who falls in the like the taste category, then definitely take it to the course. It is refreshing in an almost non-beer like way. The ABV low at 4% so your game should remain intact while you swig the rose. Coming in bottles is a bit of a golf no-no, but not one that can't be circumvented through responsible glass awareness.

Buyagainability: Possible, but limited

Ballast Point's Sea Rose doesn't quite hit the sweet spot for me like Bonito. I think that it is likely due to the unique flavor. Like many beers out there, I enjoy one, but am not motivated to spend a night drinking only Sea Rose. Bonito all night would be fine, because it is that kind of broad appeal brew. I'd definitely order another Sea Rose in a bar if I saw it on tap, but I'm not sure I'd commit to a sixer.

Cheers!

BP Thursday Beers - 3.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I've never had a brewery contact me!!  How do I make that happen??

It sounds like I might like the BP Bonito; I'll check it out.  Not sure about the cherry wheat, but I have had wheat beer (don't remember which one) with raspberry extract that was pretty good.

As for me I think I have found a new go-to stout.  From Ninkasi Brewing Co. in Eugene, Oregon I give you Vanilla Oatis.

IMG_0709.jpg

"A divine blend of vanilla, coffee, chocolate and roasted malt swirls together to create a smooth Oatmeal Stout with a crisp finish.  The true signature of this beer comes from the addition of whole vanilla beans to the final stage of conditioning - the same process we use to dry hop a beer.  Slightly sweet with a rich complexity.  Vanilla oatis is decadent and delicious."

ABV:  7.0

Bitterness:  50 IBUs

This is a great sipping beer that gets better with every sip.  It comes in a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles or in 22 oz singles.  I wouldn't take it to the golf course, but I would happily drink this beer after a round, probably two of them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

IMG_0016.JPG

Trying out Evil Twin's "Old Fashioned Lemonade IPA". It's a different take on a classic shandy with lemonade actually added to the beer, no lemon extract.

This actually works pretty well. It's not particularly bitter and the north eastern IPA yeast's citrus notes blend well with the lemonade. This is in the zone of an Arnold Palmer type flavor. Not bad, would be great on a really hot day! ABV 7.0%

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• SPY VIP

As for me I think I have found a new go-to stout.  From Ninkasi Brewing Co. in Eugene, Oregon I give you Vanilla Oatis.

That's a good one Kenny. I like the regular Oatis better though as this one was a little sweet for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

My pub was unable to serve up a draft Yeungling a couple weeks ago, so I ordered a Motorworks VTwin, only to find that they were down as well. That's when I discovered the Rolling Dirty, a killings red on steroids!

Has anyone else tried it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My pub was unable to serve up a draft Yeungling a couple weeks ago, so I ordered a Motorworks VTwin, only to find that they were down as well. That's when I discovered the Rolling Dirty, a killings red on steroids!

Has anyone else tried it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No, but do like the names .. V Twin, Rolling Dirty.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Dogfish Head Flesh & Blood IPA

https://www.dogfish.com

Dogfish Flesh Blood - 1.jpg

Flesh & Blood began with a ton of real citrus including lemon flesh and blood orange juice—hence the name—plus orange and lemon peel. Then the brewers began searching for the perfect combination of hops to perfectly complement the citrus flavors. After trialing number of different hops one-by-one, they emerged with Warrior and Centennial.

So what does this focus on simple, pure unadulterated fruit mean in terms of the aromatics and flavors in this beer? Flesh & Blood balances the resinous hoppy characteristics of an American IPA with the explosive zesty fruitiness and subtle drying tartness of citrus to deliver a highly quaffable ale that's incredibly unique and lovely to down the whole year round.

Alcohol Content: 7.5%

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 45

Color: Deep reddish orange

Aroma: Intense notes of citrus, orange, tropical fruits, lemon 

Flavor: Citrus, slightly tart, slightly pithy with juicy orange, lemon 

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with balanced bitterness

Dogfish Head: The Craft Beer OG

I bet that every craft beer lover has at one time or another wanted to make the trip to Dogfish Head Brewery. I know that I have. Not only is Dogfish one of the breweries that has been at the craft beer game for a while, they also make some super creative beers! Not ready to agree with that point? Feel free to go and read about Burton Baton. That beer is straight up mad science.

Whenever Sacramento Beer Week rolls around, I always check the schedule to see who is holding a Dogfish Head event. They always roll out the crazy/interesting stuff. In total fairness, I'm likely in the chase for two beers in particular: 120 Minute IPA and World Wide Stout. How good are they? Did you miss the part where I actively try to find them? They are fantastic, and their rarity makes them special treats.

Anyhoo, as soon as I noticed this new (to me) Flesh and Blood IPA in the store, I knew that it was next on Dave's New Brew Thursday list.

DRINKABILITY: Juicy Got Ya Crazy

That's right, I'm blowing today's door open quoting Oaktown's 357. Trust me there is a reason. For those of you not familiar with Oaktown's 357, they were a female rap group out of Oakland in the late 80's early 90's, featuring great hooks and a very danceable sound. Now if you clicked that above link and watched the video, you also know that they were a MC Hammer project. Hammer at his peak was producing all kinds of good stuff, and it made sense to spin the Hammer recipe into new projects.

Do you see where I'm going here?

Dogfish Head makes an amazing IPA, and using that as a spring board for new beers seems like a solid way to produce new spin-off beers. If you start with a good base formula, you just need to tweak it in new directions to make new hits. Yeah Yeah Yeah.

So how is the beer Dave?

It's really, really good. The IPAs from Dogfish are always a little maltier than our west coast versions, and I think that the bit of malt makes this severely drinkable. Lots of citrus, and I would totally describe Flesh and Blood as “juicy”. It's almost like a beer-based screwdriver. You get the IPA, but that citrus taste is breakfast table quenching. Cold going mad for this one.

GOLFABILITY: Solid, but Stiff

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

Dogfish Flesh Blood - 3.jpg

Popped one of these around 11:00am on the course today. Don't judge me; I was doing research! Temp was probably high 70's at that point, and windy. The Flesh and Blood hit the spot. I opened it as we were waiting, seemingly forever, for the group in front of us to putt on a par 3. Once the beer was open, I didn't care about the other group at all. I was in the juicy IPA zone.

Unfortunately the juicy IPA has some juice to it. The 7.5% ABV makes this a beer a side beer for me. Please adjust that to three a side for the next charity scramble. If we lose by 5 shots at -14, I'll be focusing more on the suds than the score from now on.

Buyagainability: I Can(s) See That

I actually only bought one of these bottles at the store. Helpful hint: Look for singles when trying out new beers. Helpful hint 2: Whole Foods will let you buy any beer in a six-pack as a single. Just pull one out and take it to the register. The other five beers go into the singles section. Easy stuff, huh?

So will I buy more? Probably. The fact that this also comes in cans is a plus for summer adventures and golf. I wasn't totally comfortable drinking from a glass bottle on the course today.

I'd say that this one is now in direct competition with the excellent Brew Free! Blood Orange IPA from 21st Amendment that I reviewed a few weeks ago. Both would be welcome finds in the ice chest.

Dogfish Flesh Blood - 2.jpg

History of Hip Hop Bonus

As a bonus, here is the whole 15 Minute video for Hammer's 2 Legit 2 Quit.

The cameos in this video are epic pop culture time capsules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCv86Olk8E

Volvo Intorqueo

K, had not one but THREE new brews tonight!

Posted pics and.one-line descriptors starting at... Firestone Walker Nitro Merlin

Next post after that is:

Six Point Farm to IPA

Followed by:

The Brewery Hoppy Obligations

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel

https://www.weihenstephaner.de/en/

Weihen Dunk - 1.jpg

Our dark wheat beer is impressive with its creamy white foam. A fruity-fresh sweetness and hints of mature bananas harmonize with delicious flavors of roasted malt, sparkling and full-bodied with a light caramel taste on the first sip. An excellent accompaniment from hearty meals and game to chocolate and nut desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Alcohol Content: 5.3%

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 14

Color: Caramel

Style: Dark Wheat Beer

Sometimes I forget about German Bier

With the awesome beers that are available all over the place locally, I sometimes forget that there is an import section in the liquor store. It's funny how that has changed over the past decade or two. It used to be that if you wanted a “fancy” beer that you would order an imported one. Now, it's the more local, the better.

Thing is though, there are still a bunch of great beers out there that are worth exploring, even if it means that you need to jump a continent or two.

I actually picked up the Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel (dark wheat beer) in a beer exchange at work. Every so often, a few of us get together and swap mystery beers. This one was a favorite of one of the participants, and I can see why. Though I will drink just about any beer, I tend to choose the non-wheat beer option more often than not. Dark wheat is different though.

With the dunkel variation, you get a much richer, and roasty beer. It is not your usual Hefe...

DRINKABILITY: Slam Dunkel

Though I will drink just about any beer, I tend to choose the non-wheat beer option more often than not. As I said, dark wheat beer is different though. This beer has way more body, and in my opinion, more taste than a straight hefeweißbier. This beer sits nicely light on the tongue when you sip, and finishes with a little more malty satisfaction than a normal hefe. Nothing porter or stout happening here, just a bit of roast and caramel on the back end.

Weihen Dunk - 2.jpg

I'd be very happy drinking this beer under almost any situation. It's light enough to quench, yet has the body to be fortifying.

GOLFABILITY: Booyah, but Bottle

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

Solid refreshment and a low 5.3% ABV puts the Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel smack dab in the middle of the golfability target. It'll cut the dust, and not convince you that riding your club around ala Boo Weekly is a good idea. Pack two 500ml bottles in the bag and enjoy the ride.

Weihen Dunk - 4.jpg

Bottles are kind of a pain in the ass on the course though. If a stashed one broke in your bag it would be all kinds of lame. Personally, I'd pour one of these into an insulated tumbler, Yeti or other, and let that house the hops. One hidden bottle won't clank much against itself.

Buyagainability: Were the Choices Fewer

I like Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel quite a bit, but I think that it may get passed over when I'm driving through the beer aisle. There are so many beers out there, and my compulsion to try them all will probably cause me to look at this beer on the shelf and go “that's a good one”, as I move on to some random IPA infused with California Condor egg shells.

Should I run across this on tap though, I'll be putting away a couple of liters. It's a dynamite mug-swinging-in-the-pub bier. Prost!

Weihen Dunk - 3.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

Ditto, nice review!

Almost.....makes me wanna try it .. have not been a fan of wheat beers, either. But the Dunkel .. hmmm....

And I know you're joking about the Condors as they're an endangered species, and all you Cally dudes are all like all eco-conscious and all that stuff, like ya know? ;-)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I'm a big fan of German wheat beers, either dark or cloudy, not so much the crystal. I've only ever found a couple of Oz wheat beers that are ok, but most of the German ones I've tried I've loved. Very sessionable (is this a word?) beers, but with a bit of seriousness about them.

I'll have revisit the Weihenstephaner Dunkel, it's been a long time between drinks, thanks for the reminder Dave.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Does Saturday on a holiday weekend count for a new brew?

Old Samuel Smith's India Ale

Well.. .. I picked this one 'cause the label was so colourful (-Brit spelling) and appealing. And it has an equally colourful story on the front plus a bit of history on the back. :)

But.. .. that was the best thing about this beer. Nothing remarkable to recommend it. :(

((-- sorry supposed to be a pic of the colorful label here but keep getting "upload failed" ... here's a link... --))

https://goo.gl/photos/woUYkcxDs2ggTAZY6

So here's the story from the front:

"In the 19th century there was a remarkable trade in all from Britain to India. The land of spice was Britain's major export market. The heavy hop levels of these pale ales shipped on the long voyage to India naturally preserved the ale and complemented the flavourful and exotic cuisine of the East. Samuel Smith's India Ale is characterised by the colour of a golden sunset, a refined maltiness and an emphasis on the aroma and flavour from Britain's best hop gardens."

See? Colorful story.

On the back they tell you they still draw well water from the same well that has been in use since 1758.

Anyway... I'll stick with Bass as my Old English _Pale_ Ale.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Across the World

http://www.beercamp.sierranevada.com/beers/

image2.jpeg

Brewing with friends is what Beer Camp is all about. We called on twelve breweries - six stateside and six overseas - to come together for a no-limits, one-time only collaboration pack.

So today's New Brew Thursday is not about a single beer, but rather three months of New Brew Thursdays. One of my favorite summer "things" is the annual release of the Beer Camp 12-Pack from Sierra Nevada.

For some of you. experience with Sierra Nevada may start and stop with the iconic green label Pale Ale. It's a solid beer, and has been in the craft arena for decades.

image3.jpeg

This Beer Camp 12-Pack is not full of green label... It's full of BEER MADNESS.

There are 12 different breweries/beers in this box, representing a vast range of styles. I don't know of another 12-pack that will have a dry-hopped barleywine blend sitting beside a spicy ginger lager and a beer called Raspberry Sundae. So much range in the box, and it's a wonder to explore.

image4.jpeg

I attack the pack with a friend. Typically, we each buy a 12-pack, and then drink the beers in the same order, either together or digitally. Way more fun to taste together though. It's also interesting how some hit for him (barleywine) and others for me (raspberry sundae). So much variation.

image5.jpeg

The only sad thing about the Beer Camp box is that if you find a beer that you really like (Boulevard DIPA), there is no way to buy more of that beer, and the extra sadness that the beer will never be made again.

Sometimes they do come back though. I believe that the six-packs of Tropical IPAs from a year or two ago were based upon a Beer Camp beer.

Be warned, it'll likely set you back about $25 for the 12-pack. I did balk at this the first go around, but never once after drinking those beers. The beers in this one are special. Hopefully you can find it near you.

Volvo Intorqueo

attachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

Brewing with friends is what Beer Camp is all about. We called on twelve breweries - six stateside and six overseas - to come together for a no-limits, one-time only collaboration pack.

So today's New Brew Thursday is not about a single beer, but rather three months of New Brew Thursdays. One of my favorite summer "things" is the annual release of the Beer Camp 12-Pack from Sierra Nevada.

For some of you. experience with Sierra Nevada may start and stop with the iconic green label Pale Ale. It's a solid beer, and has been in the craft arena for decades.

attachicon.gifimage3.jpeg

There are 12 different breweries/beers in this box, representing a vast range of styles. I don't know of another 12-pack that will have a dry-hopped barleywine blend sitting beside a spicy ginger lager and a beer called Raspberry Sundae. So much range in the box, and it's a wonder to explore.

attachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

I attack the pack with a friend. Typically, we each buy a 12-pack, and then drink the beers in the same order, either together or digitally. Way more fun to taste together though. It's also interesting how some hit for him (barleywine) and others for me (raspberry sundae). So much variation.

attachicon.gifimage5.jpeg

The only sad thing about the Beer Camp box is that if you find a beer that you really like (Boulevard DIPA), there is no way to buy more of that beer, and the extra sadness that the beer will never be made again.

Sometimes they do come back though. I believe that the six-packs of Tropical IPAs from a year or two ago were based upon a Beer Camp beer.

Be warned, it'll likely set you back about $25 for the 12-pack. I did balk at this the first go around, but never once after drinking those beers. The beers in this one are special. Hopefully you can find it near you.

Love it!  What a great way to try out different beers.  I always buy one bottle if I don't know anything about it, but sometimes if I find a 6-pack of something I will probably like (stouts, porters), I will buy them.

OK, my turn...

"How would you like to mow my lawn?"

Today is mowing day.  I used to have a lawn service for 10 years when I worked because I would go on 2 week trips, mostly to Russia, and my wife hates mowing.  So do I, but when I retired a couple of years ago, I bought a mower and had it paid for with the lawn service charge in 3 months.  Since I knew I would be mowing on Thursday and it would be hot, I bought a beer to try out when I finished.

IPAs have not been my favorite over the years, but Dave and cksurfdude have posted rave reviews in the past, so I thought I would give one a try.

IMG_0720.jpg

The Double Mountain Hop Lion IPA not as hoppy as I would've expected, and it is quite drinkable.  I will probably buy this again.  ABV 6.7  IBU 65

Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom is located in Hood River, Oregon and has quite a variety of beers that I might have to give a go.  They also have seasonal beers, and coming up this summer is one called Clusterf#ck.  I may have to stop by this place on my monthly drive to Corvallis, Oregon!!

They also have a Bottle Return Program

Our Unique half-liter bottles are made of thick-walled glass, allowing them to be cleaned and reused many times.  Retailers who sell Double Mountain Bottles can segregate returned bottles for a return trip to the brewery in Hood River, where they can be cleaned and refilled with beer.

An added benefit of the heavier glass that Double Mountain uses is the protection from ultraviolet light harming beer flavor.  Our heavier glass bottles offer 2-3 times less light penetration than standard thin-walled one-way recycled glass.  The larger beer volume of the half-liter bottles also gives the beer longer shelf life than a 12 ounce bottle.

After enjoying one of our fine beers, return the empty to one of our participating retailers or bring it directly to the brewery.  If you choose to bring them to the brewery, be sure, and grab one of our bottle return punch cards. Have the card punched for each bottle returned and earn a free beer (or similarly priced food item) once you've returned a total of 20 bottles. Not into having a beer? We happily offer ten cents (double your Oregon deposit) on every bottle you return. Your reward for helping the planet, one beer at a time.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Whoa-ho-ho!

IPA?

KennyB??!!??

;-)

Nice!!

Love Hood River - tried to windsurf on the river there. Loooong time ago. Beautiful, beautiful area. And remember well - but not the name... a craft brew pub in town.

Well, anyway, nice review - that one sounds tempting - and cheers to New Brew Thursday

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

attachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage3.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage5.jpeg

Beer Camp??!!??

Wanna go! Where do I sign up ;-)

(Sounds like a lot more fun than band camp or science camp)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Lake Placid UBU Strong Ale

New BBQ place opened in town so we had to check it out for date night. They did a nice job renovating, throwing in a lot of old fashioned touches .. including actual phone booths!

((.. dammit getting an upload error again for the beer pic .. here's a link....))

https://goo.gl/photos/3N9Yudn9wNYu56xP9

And check out the tiles behind the taps (which are actually a "new-fashioned" setup) that they've scribed the current beer selections on.

OK, so the UBU -

First Look:

Clean pour, light froth on top, not too "heady", not too carbonated. Nice dark color; deep, rich amber and still a bit translucent .. not 'oscuro' like a Stout.

Aroma:

Some hoppiness comes through but compared to some of the fave IPAs this one is lower on the scale. No fruitiness nor floral essences here, either (not that I particularly like those in a beer but just mentioning).

First Taste:

Nice .. smooth .. a hint of bitterness but again low compared to some fave IPAs. Very drinkable but didn't knock my socks off. Does pair well with hearty (meaty!) bbq, tho!

GolfAbility:

Nah, a bit .. well .. strong ;-) .. at 7.5 and probably not the best thirst quencher on a hot day. After the round, tho - yeah.

After this I went to the Capt. Lawrence Effortless IPA. Very nice for an IPA but no clear distinguishing characteristics from their 'regular' IPA......

Oh, PS:

If you didn't know Lake Placid hosted the Winter Olympics and still serves as a training ground for the US Winter Olympic Team. Also a HUGE mountain biking area - worth a trip if you're into that!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

IMG_0221.JPG Track 7 can release! I got this, the Sukah NE style IPA, the 2 Tracks NE style double and the Poor Pitiful Me, west coast style IPA. The Sukah is classic NE style, very fruity, lots of pineapple and mango flavors. Lots of body, not too boozy. I would estimate the bitterness at around 60 IBUs. Really good stuff.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

All, I'm a horrible golfer but obsessed on getting better. However I am a ten handicap when it comes to craft beer.

I like this thread. Can't wait to start posting.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

All, I'm a horrible golfer but obsessed on getting better.

Ha! Right there with ya!

However I am a ten handicap when it comes to craft beer.

Maybe you mean a "+" handicap

But yeah .. golf and beer just go soooo well together, don't they?

(but then *everything* goes with a good craft beer)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Ha! Right there with ya!

Maybe you mean a "+" handicap

But yeah .. golf and beer just go soooo well together, don't they?

(but then *everything* goes with a good craft beer)

My bad. And yes everything goes better wth craft beer. I'm lucky enough to live in SoCal and have access to a ton of it. Let me know what you want. I ship beer all the time.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

Find me on Untappd. 'Fureousangel' is my name. I trade beer all the time.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

attachicon.gifIMG_6240.JPG

Nice! Am a fan of Stone - they make some really good brews.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Nice! Am a fan of Stone - they make some really good brews.

This is actually one of their better Enjoy By. The last two felt and tasted a little rushed.

I love their Russian Imperial Stout.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black