Dave's New Brew Thursday

GolfSpy Dave

Kenny! I may have to un-friend you [emoji12] for that blasphemous sacrilegious nonsensical hogwash.

Ha, well .. different strokes for different folks......!

It is absolutely blasphemous! Speaking of IPAs, Stone has an all IPA sampler pack out right now that is amazing! 

• Like 3

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd:  TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: PXG 0311T w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM7 54° and 58°

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

If you guys see them.in your area, try out some of the verrrrry tasty offerings from Firestone Walker .. another CA Brewer with a few varieties of IPAs and Stouts.

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

21st Amendment Brew Free or Die ... ¡muy excelente!

• Like 2

• SPY VIP

Happy New Brew Thursday!  :D

Tonight's beer is Lagunitas' Imperial Stout!

IMG_1170.JPG

Dark, Thick, and Scary

Made with Highly roasted malted barley, and plenty of it, to give the beer an uncommon richness and smoky, roasty depth…sorta like a hydraulic sandwich in a glass. 

AVAILABILITYYear-round in: 22oz. Bottles & Draft

ALC. BY VOL9.9%

BITTERNESS 45 IBUs

FOOD PAIRINGSFabulous Frapples a la mode with frozen cinnamon vanilla yogurt

DRINKABILITY: Hell Yes

Ok Kenny, here is your non-IPA. This is about as non-IPA as one can get. The Lagunitas Imperial Stout is a beast in a bottle, yet it's a smooth and smoky beast. Truth be told, I've been enjoying this beer on many a Thursday, but since it jumped off the Costco shelf and into my cart last weekend, I thought that it made a great sharing beer.

So rich and creamy and just begs to be blended with a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints. If I can find some, I'll post a video right before hitting the diabetic coma.

GOLFABILITY: That's a Nope

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance. 

Lagunitas Imperial Stout is very drinkable, but I don't know that it's a beer that I'd turn to to quench my dusty golf mouth. Perhaps going two or three on the bottle as a pre round eye opener, but this style is not something that I'd necessarily reach for on the course.

IMG_1169.JPG

At 9.9%, don't expect the golf game to be the same after putting this beast in your belly. Sure, after drinking it you'll be more attractive, funnier, and way smoother when you chat up the cart gal, but your swing will probably be straight ass.

After the round with a big cigar and a brownie could be the most perfect thing ever though.

Buyagainability: Again and again

I've probably bought a dozen of these over the years. Reason one: it's really good and always available. This and Old Rasputin from North Coast brewing are my go to imperials. BA Rasputin and Rasputin on nitro are must drinks too if you run across them...

Reason two: this 22oz bottle was only $3.99 at Costco. In addition to pissing off Titleist, Costco also has a killer beer selection these days. Prices are solid, but $4 for this beer is just crazy. By ABV alone you have a bargain. It's like the Maddog 20/20 of craft beer, except that the Lagunitas Imperial Stout is delicious.

I will buy this again and again. I went big spender and dropped $8 for two this time around. Just flinging the paper in Costco #highroller

Link to Lagunitas. HERE

Want to see the coolest bottle opener ever. Check out this LINK to the Lagunitas swagshop.

• Like 6

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Wow. Banned in NY (switchblades).

But in the main subject:

Imperial Stouts f***in ROCK!!!!

[emoji106]

• Like 1

You made me thirsty!  Headed to Costco!!

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You made me thirsty! Headed to Costco!!

Second that! May have to join Costco just for this deal ;)

Gonna check this afternoon if my fave store in town - the local craft beer distributer - has this; or if not, they do take requests!

• Like 1

• SPY VIP

Keep an eye out for the Cappuccino Stout too. Seasonal release without jacked up pricing. One of my favorite things about Lagunitas.

• Like 1

Volvo Intorqueo

Good review on the stout! I was wondering where you were going to go with the golfability for that one... I would imagine that it is probably better served as an after-round beer.  Lagunitas is a pretty solid brewery though!

• Like 1

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd:  TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: PXG 0311T w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM7 54° and 58°

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Wow. Banned in NY (switchblades).

But in the main subject:

Imperial Stouts f***in ROCK!!!!

[emoji106]

HEY!  We're friends again!!   ;)

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Keep an eye out for the Cappuccino Stout too. Seasonal release without jacked up pricing. One of my favorite things about Lagunitas.

I picked up a bottle of Elysian Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout.  It sounds similar to a McMenamin's brew that I like.  Should be mild at ABV 6.1

HEY! We're friends again!! ;)

Never stopped! .. you just have to have patience with my warped, dry and satirical sense of humor...

But just don't insult IPAs again.

(Ooops, ^there, ^right there^, I did it again [emoji6] )

• Like 1

Never stopped! .. you just have to have patience with my warped, dry and satirical sense of humor...

But just don't insult IPAs again.

(Ooops, ^there, ^right there^, I did it again [emoji6] )

Well, there you go again!  Please find where I insulted IPAs.  I just said they are not my favs, didn't say I won't drink them!!

• Like 3

Happy New Brew Thursday!  :D

Tonight's beer is Lagunitas' Imperial Stout!

attachicon.gifIMG_1170.JPG

Dark, Thick, and Scary

Made with Highly roasted malted barley, and plenty of it, to give the beer an uncommon richness and smoky, roasty depth…sorta like a hydraulic sandwich in a glass. 

AVAILABILITYYear-round in: 22oz. Bottles & Draft

ALC. BY VOL9.9%

BITTERNESS 45 IBUs

FOOD PAIRINGSFabulous Frapples a la mode with frozen cinnamon vanilla yogurt

DRINKABILITY: Hell Yes

Ok Kenny, here is your non-IPA. This is about as non-IPA as one can get. The Lagunitas Imperial Stout is a beast in a bottle, yet it's a smooth and smoky beast. Truth be told, I've been enjoying this beer on many a Thursday, but since it jumped off the Costco shelf and into my cart last weekend, I thought that it made a great sharing beer.

So rich and creamy and just begs to be blended with a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints. If I can find some, I'll post a video right before hitting the diabetic coma.

GOLFABILITY: That's a Nope

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance. 

Lagunitas Imperial Stout is very drinkable, but I don't know that it's a beer that I'd turn to to quench my dusty golf mouth. Perhaps going two or three on the bottle as a pre round eye opener, but this style is not something that I'd necessarily reach for on the course.

attachicon.gifIMG_1169.JPG

At 9.9%, don't expect the golf game to be the same after putting this beast in your belly. Sure, after drinking it you'll be more attractive, funnier, and way smoother when you chat up the cart gal, but your swing will probably be straight ass.

After the round with a big cigar and a brownie could be the most perfect thing ever though.

Buyagainability: Again and again

I've probably bought a dozen of these over the years. Reason one: it's really good and always available. This and Old Rasputin from North Coast brewing are my go to imperials. BA Rasputin and Rasputin on nitro are must drinks too if you run across them...

Reason two: this 22oz bottle was only $3.99 at Costco. In addition to pissing off Titleist, Costco also has a killer beer selection these days. Prices are solid, but $4 for this beer is just crazy. By ABV alone you have a bargain. It's like the Maddog 20/20 of craft beer, except that the Lagunitas Imperial Stout is delicious.

I will buy this again and again. I went big spender and dropped $8 for two this time around. Just flinging the paper in Costco #highroller

Link to Lagunitas. HERE

Want to see the coolest bottle opener ever. Check out this LINK to the Lagunitas swagshop.

See..... now I have to go out and get this! I love Lagunitas!

• Like 4

Huge fan of Lagunitas.  Some of the small batch stuff is harder to get on the East Coast but not impossible.

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* MMT 60x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* MMT 70x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

First 6 pack I bought in Hawaii a year ago was Lagunitas IPA, I was very impressed. It was a bit too hoppy for my wife, which suited me, as I got to drink the majority.

Unfortunately I've never seen any of the brews here, which is probably just as well as I'd need to sell a kidney to pay for it.

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• SPY VIP

FW New Brew - 1.jpg

Today we have a couple of beers from Firestone-Walker. Firestone-Walker is another great California brewery with some national distribution. Hopefully you can find these near you.

I'm a huge fan of Firestone Walker. How can you not like a brewery that spans the gap between the solid performance of Firestone tires and the kick-ass power of Walker, Texas Ranger? To be totally truthful, one of the things in the prior sentence was untrue about the brewery. If you are willing to say that anything about Chuck Norris is wrong, then may the gods be with you...

Anyway, I ran across both of these beers this week and I thought that I should drop both on you. Nothing wrong with a little two-brew on New Brew Thursday. First on the plate, Luponic Distortion 005.

Luponic Distortion 005

FW New Brew - 4.jpg

Revolution No. 005 is driven by a mix of five different hop varieties, led by an emerging American cultivar from the Yakima region. Together, these hops deliver a complex spectrum of ripe tropical fruit aromas with notes of guava, mango, pineapple, orange, blackberry, green tea and Meyer lemon. In true Luponic Distortion fashion, bitterness is moderate but snappy, with a balance of light malty-bready sweetness and a soft mouthfeel.

I'm a fan of the Luponic Distortion series from FW. Basically, they change up the hops each time around to create a beer that's similar, but has a unique taste profile for the batch. So far, my favorite has been 002 (released last summer). Somehow I missed 004. I may need to look around to see if I can run one down, but these are really made to be enjoyed fresh, before the hops fade in the can.

DRINKABILITY: Tasty

LD 005 is very drinkable. It tastes a bit thin to me, similar to some session IPAs that are out there. You get a big hop taste at the start, but it finishes a bit harsh, lacking the malt profile that soothes the palate after the bitter hop barrage. I enjoyed it, for sure, but it seemed like it was just a touch out of balance.

GOLFABILITY: Totally

Luponic Distortion is refreshing and would be welcomed as a thirst quencher during a hot round of golf. The relatively low ABV of 5.9% puts you into the sweet spot where it could take the edge off and yet not take you to total F-it golf. LD 005 could easily be enjoyed a couple of times during the round.

Buyagainability: Perhaps

As a series, I'd say Hell Yes, but the 005 is just not quire a mush horde beer for me. I'll never turn one down, but I don't know that I'd actively seek this incarnation out in the vast sea of beer choices. It's good, but not life changing.

Bonus Beer: Firestone Walker Fortem

FW New Brew - 5.jpg

That's right, two beers this week. I am willing to make the sacrifice of drinking a second new beer this week just so I can give you some insight that you can use to plan your weekend libation selections. Roughly translated, I felt like having a second beer this week :)

Fortem represents the first brew in a new beer line from Firestone-Walker. They are pretty geeked up about it.  The about this beer prose on their site (and the packaging) is pretty spectacular:

Fortem is a new-age imperial IPA that draws upon a range of influences, all while exhibiting DNA from our own forays into the IPA style. As such, it blends newer hop varieties from the Pacific Northwest and Hallertau, Germany along with pale malt, wheat malt and flaked oats for a full body and rounded mouthfeel. Fortem presents an expressive mix of aromas, including mango, blueberry, raspberry, lime zest and lychee. After time in the glass, it opens up to reveal stone fruit blossoms and mandarin oranges, finishing with just enough bitterness to encourage your next sip. Fortem has been left unfiltered for a hazy appearance and full hop impact.

Seriously, with a build-up like that, Fortem had better open the car door for you at dinner and finish you off later when you take a shower. Worth mentioning, it was $14.99 for a 4-pack of 16oz cans at Whole Foods. My "you had better be good" level was very high with this one.

DRINKABILITY: Satisfying

Thankfully, this beer is awesome. It's a big-ish imperial IPA, but it has enough balance to be a pleasure from the first sip to the lingering foam. At just from the fridge cold, it was refreshing, and as it warmed, it improved. Lots of citrus and other flavors as it opened. Not sure I could trace all of the flavors in that above description, but the complexity was delicious.

GOLFABILITY: Probably a pass

First pass says that the 8.2% ABV is golf unfriendly, and it probably is, but that is not the reason that I would not bring this one to the course. There is a lot going on here, and I'd rather drink this one on the back patio slowly instead of drinking it to hydrate as I push the cart. It's a complex beer that I'd rather slowly enjoy at home.

Bonus cool: Hazy IPA

FW New Brew - 2.jpg

West Coast breweries are all about the North East style unfiltered IPAs these days. To compare, here is a shot of the 005 on the left and the Fortem on the right. Definitely more cloudy with the Fortem. I like this less filtered beer movement. It may just be a trendy thing, but I'm on board the haze craze.

Buyagainability: Perhaps

To be honest, I pucker at the price of the Fortem. I do like it, and would be happy to drink more, but $15 a four-pack is likely out of my allowance range. I'll pay more for some beers, but I'd rather pay less. The IPA choices are so vast, that this one just doesn't quite hit my price to taste window.

Check out all of the various beers Firestone-Walker has to offer HERE.

Cheers!

Bonus Bonus

Sometimes the photography "helper" is not all that helpful...

FW New Brew - 3.jpg

• Like 4

Volvo Intorqueo

Awwwww .. nice dawggie ;) !!

(My guys are always sooo helpful, too)

But, yeah, Firestone Walker rocks! Am def gonna look for that Fortem.

My new brew tonight was OK-ish, not awesome .. hoppy and aromatic but .. light in color, light on the finish, low on the IBU scale and medium on the ABV scale.

Definitely not an IPA nor Imperial but in the spirit of sharing a new-to-me cold one with my virtual drinking buddies gave it a go.

And then I had three anyway just to double- and triple-check my findings [emoji12]

Allegash Hoppy Table

IMG_20170330_182339035.jpg

IMG_20170330_182523059.jpg

(yes that's the Golf Channel on the solo screen in that bar)

• Like 3

• SPY VIP

And then I had three anyway just to double- and triple-check my findings [emoji12]

This is why I hope we all get to hang out at some point. That's dedication to the craft right there :)

• Like 1

Volvo Intorqueo

The hop capital of Washington State is halfway between me and Yakima, about 40 miles away.  It's probably why so many micros are popping up all over the Northwest!

• Like 2