GolfSpy Dave

Dave's New Brew Thursday

OK, it's Tuesday but it's a day that also starts with "T" and ends in "_day"... :)

So.....

Flying Dog Imperial IPA

IMG_20170502_175142041.jpg

@KennyB - I know you're a part of this thread so..

1. Try this!

2. Do you know the name of the label artist (without looking it up)?

Flying Dog, in MD, has several really excellent brews (and each with its own fun label).

Hadn't seen this particular one before so - in addition to now expanding my IPA repertoire to include Imperials and Imperial Stouts - gave it a try.

Good choice on my part!

All the requisite qualities one would seek out in a classy Imperial; very, very tasty .. not too bitter, not too hoppy .. and very, very drinkable

Another not-golfable beer, though:

8.7 ABV

And - if you haven't been reading the labels on the bottles or cans of craft brews, you should as the Brewers have taken to adding little tidbits such as...

IMG_20170502_181821578.jpg

I've had this before (seeing that I live in Maryland). Pretty good IPA!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

21st Amendment Brewery's Brew Free! Blood Orange IPA

http://21st-amendment.com

BrewFreeCollage.jpg

Four hop varieties and seven blood oranges ago, our founders brought forth in this brewery, a new beer, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that not all IPAs are created equal. Because sometimes, real fruit just makes things even more delicious.

Blood Orange Brew Free! is brewed like our original west coast style Brew Free! or Die IPA, but with an abundance of fresh blood orange puree and a twist of citrusy dry hops. Refreshingly different. As Abe would say, “Whatever you are, be a good one.”

• Alcohol Content: 7%
  • Color: Deep Gold
  • Bitterness Units (IBUS): 70
  • Bittering Hops: CTZ
  • Flavor Hops: Centennial, Citra
  • Yeast: Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
  • Malts: Two-Row Pale, Munich, Caramalt 
  • Special Ingredients: 100% Fresh Blood Orange Puree

Making a solid IPA different, but still solid

That's probably my simplest take on today's beer. As a NorCal resident, I've had access to and have been enjoying the beers from 21st Amendment Brewery for a number of years. Initially, I probably became aware of them because in a sea of bottles, their beers were in cans. This was long before the current cans are cool movement too. Craft in cans had to overcome the crap comes in cans stigma of the day.

As soon as you start drinking their beers, you know that 21st Amendment doesn't make crap beer, canned or otherwise.

The progenitor of this beer, Brew Free! Or Die IPA is already firmly in my beer rotation, particularly in the summer when cans at the course, lake, and pool are most welcome. Often times I'll stock the cooler with their mixed 12-pack, since Back in Black IPA, Down to Earth Session IPA, and the new-ish El Sully Mexican lager are all solid beers, and activity friendly.

Rip open 12-pack, add ice, done. Happy 4th of July partying.

Needless to say, I always check the shelves for new beers from them, and for the arrival of the various seasonal cans Marooned on Hog Island is amazing! Thus it was a zero second decision to grab the sixer of the Blood Orange Brew Free! IPA

BrewFreeBO - 4.jpg

DRINKABILITY: Bloody Good...

First of all, don't start to freak out that this is a fruit beer. Besides, stigmas surrounding fruit beers should be fairly well dispelled these days as brewers are deftly adding all kinds of stuff to beers, like fruit, and producing solid products. Fruit is not added to hide crappy technique, but to expand the palate possibilities.

This beer actually had a lot going against it since there is a local Sacramento brewery that makes a blood orange IPA that is not only one of my favorite IPAs, but one of my favorite beers, period. That's Track 7 Brewery's Blood Transfusion for the curious.

Aaannnnyyyyhoooo, even with that high standard, I was impressed by Brew Free! Blood Orange IPA. It retains the great taste of the original, but ventures into a deeper land of citrus. I wouldn't say it's sweeter or anything like that, but it does fit the trendy descriptor of “juicy” quite well.

The citrus complements the hop bitterness nicely and overall makes this a balanced IPA.

GOLFABILITY: Moderation Suggested

BrewFreeBO - 3.jpg

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

Take this beer to the course, but maybe not the whole six-pack. First of all, this beer just screams drink me on a hot afternoon! It is probably going to crack 100F here in Sac soon, and I'll be packing some of these in the golf cooler.

Some is the key word. Drinkable or not, it still packs a 7% ABV, which can get golf a little shaky. Perhaps mix in some of their session IPAs and your cooler game will be set. And stay away from golf machinery.

Buyagainability: Once again, Already did!

Six-pack number two of Brew Free! Blood Orange has already made it through check out. I went back a few days after getting the first one just in case this was a seasonal offering. Thankfully, according to the 21st Amendment site, this beer is now on the year round list, so you should be able to get it when needed. Did notice that He Said He Said is not under the seasonals. Hopefully that one comes back.

Regardless, this can will be added to the cooler this summer for sure.

Find out more about 21st Amendment Brewery HERE

• Like 4

Have you tried Back in Black?  I haven't seen that one yet, but I keep looking.  

• Like 1

Golf Spy Dave, what part of Sacramento are you in? Let me know if you ever want to do a "New Brew Thursday" with another Sac Town Spy!

• Like 1

Golf Spy Dave, what part of Sacramento are you in? Let me know if you ever want to do a "New Brew Thursday" with another Sac Town Spy!

Sounds like a plan. Tend to frequent 19 Handles. I'll shoot you a message when I next get a hall pass.

• Like 1

Have you tried Back in Black?  I haven't seen that one yet, but I keep looking.  

Probably my favorite black IPA. It's a tough style, where you can error too bitter or too malty. Balanced, refreshing, but with more body than the norman IPA. Bet you will like it.

• Like 1

Tonight I found a beer that I've been looking for since I first tried it in 2014... DuClaw Hell On Wood. It's a Bourbon barrel aged American Barleywine style ale.

This stuff is just fantastic! The 2017 release is 13.1 ABV.... so, definitely NOT golfable...lol. Drinkability is easy, in fact, too easy. You could get in trouble quick with this one! It's a sipper, not a guzzler.

Would I buy it again? Right after work tomorrow I'm getting another six of it! This stuff is truly unique..... there isn't anything out there that I've had that is like it. Vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar, citrus, malty and surprisingly not much Bourbon noticeable.

Kenny.... I know you aren't an IPA fan so, this one is for you! If you can find it, it's definitely worth the $16.99 price.

https://duclaw.com/beers/hell-on-wood/

• Like 3

Sounds like a plan. Tend to frequent 19 Handles. I'll shoot you a message when I next get a hall pass.

Right on, that's about 500 feet from my buddy's house!

• Like 1

21st Amendment Brewery's Brew Free! Blood Orange IPA

I've enjoyed their Brew Free Or Die IPA. Based on your enthusiastic .. and quite elegant ;) .. review I may have to try this one....

Great South Bay, here on Long Island, has a Blood Orange that I've not .. yet .. tried -- guess I will have to!

• Like 1

IMG_0444.JPG

Going with this limited can release from Bike Dog and Hop Dogma, "MC Brambles". It's a stout with raspberry and cocoa nibs. Very mellow, the raspberry is understated and almost gives it a root beer like flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

So I'm new to he beer section of MGS. This is my expertise for sure. Just had a Trillium New England Wild Ale! Wow! If your co I g to Boston- Trillium Craft Beer is a must! Also, if our have time, take the drive out to western MA and hit the Tree House brewery in Monson is on the bucket list

• Like 6

So it's Monday...

(but it's another day of the week that ends in "_day" just like Thursday)

Southern Tier Brewing Nu Skool IPA

Subtitled:

New American Hops with A Tropical Twist

IMG_20170508_173348762.jpg

OK this one has GolfAbility! Refreshing, crisp taste and a bit lower - 6.0 - on the ABV.

Admittedly, these "Session" IPAs are not my faves - tho I do try one from time to time - but this one has BuyAgainAbility.

Very drinkable and pleasant, on-course and off.

Southern Tier has a few good craft brews; worth checking out if you see them.

• Like 2

Ballast Point's Bonito Blonde Ale

BP Thursday Beers - 1 (2).jpg

An approachable beer, with some substance.

Our Bonito blonde ale is inspired by our perma-sunny days. This brew draws you in with its golden color and soft malt character, while the light mouthfeel and dry finish keeps you coming back. And what would set a San Diego blonde apart? A subtle hint of hops, naturally.

AVAILABILITY:  Year-round in:12oz. Bottles, Cans & Draft

ALC. BY VOL.: 4.5%

BITTERNESS :20 IBUs

This week marks a return to San Diego's Ballast Point Brewery. You may be wondering why, with all of the breweries out there, I am already back to Ballast Point. I could tell you it's because I like their beer that much, and I do, but I also like many other beers so that's not it.

Truth be told, it's because Ballast Point contacted me and suggested that Bonito Blonde would be a great beer for golf. If a company takes the time to reach out like that, I can definitely take the time to drink their beer.

BP Thursday Beers - 2 (1).jpg

DRINKABILITY: Great Blonde with bonus

Bonito is a solid little blonde ale and is inherently drinkable. It's interesting on the finish. Definitely a little more dry and bitter than I was expecting. Perhaps it's that little extra kiss of hops in the brew. I'd almost describe the finish as a little pilsner-like. That's the lingering dry bitterness that I taste.

I know it's not a pilsner. I'm just a guy, drinking a beer, and letting you know my thoughts.

Anyway, don't be surprised if you are halfway through that six-pack before you know it.

GOLFABILITY: Flawless Victory

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

BP Thursday Beers - 1.jpg

Bonito is light and refreshing, comes in cans, and has a low ABV (4.5%). I can't think of a more golf-friendly combination. Maybe if the can could act as a tee, or suggest proper clubs for yardages then you'd have a more golfable beer. Until that happens, this is a fine beer for any round of golf.

Buyagainability: Staple Status Cemented

Ballast Point's Bonito Blonde may not be as super fancy as some beers out there, but it's simplicity is super effective. I'll definitely buy more of these this summer, and it will always be in the take to the pool/course/camping/boating/adventure conversation.

BP Thursday Beers - 2 (1).jpg

Bonus Beer!!!!!!!

Ballast Point's Sea Rose Tart Cherry Wheat Ale

BP Thursday Beers - 2.jpg

A crisp wheat ale with a tart cherry twist.

Our Sea Rose tart cherry wheat ale is a fresh take on fruit beers. Originally conceived during an employee-led R&D brew, it's one of our most imaginative recipes yet. The American wheat style is light and clean, while fresh cherry juice adds a soft coral color and fruity nose that gives way to a dry, slightly tart finish. It's approachable, yet unexpected—exactly what we love to brew.

AVAILABILITY: Year-round in 12oz. Bottles & Draft

ALC. BY VOL: 4.0%

BITTERNESS: 8 IBUs

What is this? Another new beer this week? Am I trying to push the boundaries of my  liver? What's going on here? Well, truth be told, Ballast Point didn't just suggest beers that would be great for golf, they actually sent them to me as well!

BP Thursday Beers - 1 (1).jpg

There is the lesson for other breweries out there. If you send me beer, I will drink it. I'll likely even write about it too!

And so, here is a little bonus coverage of Ballast Point's Sea Rose.

DRINKABILITY: Probably a YMMV Situation

Sea Rose will likely not have the universal appeal as Bonito, and I'm sure that this comes as no surprise to BP, or to those of you wondering just what the hell a tart cherry wheat ale is all about.

Simply put, Sea Rose is a very light bodied wheat beer, with a little extra touch of fruit flavor and tartness. I know I just basically repeated its name, but it's pretty spot on. It has the thinner body of the wheat ale. Not much malt body at all (aka wheat ale). The cherry is not overpowering, nor is the tartness. I'd not go so far as to call this one sour. Wife thought it had a wine-like taste.

Some will like it (me), some will pass (she).

GOLFABILITY: Swing if your Palate Says So

Golfability is a two fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

If you are one who falls in the like the taste category, then definitely take it to the course. It is refreshing in an almost non-beer like way. The ABV low at 4% so your game should remain intact while you swig the rose. Coming in bottles is a bit of a golf no-no, but not one that can't be circumvented through responsible glass awareness.

Buyagainability: Possible, but limited

Ballast Point's Sea Rose doesn't quite hit the sweet spot for me like Bonito. I think that it is likely due to the unique flavor. Like many beers out there, I enjoy one, but am not motivated to spend a night drinking only Sea Rose. Bonito all night would be fine, because it is that kind of broad appeal brew. I'd definitely order another Sea Rose in a bar if I saw it on tap, but I'm not sure I'd commit to a sixer.

Cheers!

BP Thursday Beers - 3.jpg

• Like 3

I've never had a brewery contact me!!  How do I make that happen??

It sounds like I might like the BP Bonito; I'll check it out.  Not sure about the cherry wheat, but I have had wheat beer (don't remember which one) with raspberry extract that was pretty good.

As for me I think I have found a new go-to stout.  From Ninkasi Brewing Co. in Eugene, Oregon I give you Vanilla Oatis.

IMG_0709.jpg

"A divine blend of vanilla, coffee, chocolate and roasted malt swirls together to create a smooth Oatmeal Stout with a crisp finish.  The true signature of this beer comes from the addition of whole vanilla beans to the final stage of conditioning - the same process we use to dry hop a beer.  Slightly sweet with a rich complexity.  Vanilla oatis is decadent and delicious."

ABV:  7.0

Bitterness:  50 IBUs

This is a great sipping beer that gets better with every sip.  It comes in a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles or in 22 oz singles.  I wouldn't take it to the golf course, but I would happily drink this beer after a round, probably two of them.

• Like 3

IMG_0016.JPG

Trying out Evil Twin's "Old Fashioned Lemonade IPA". It's a different take on a classic shandy with lemonade actually added to the beer, no lemon extract.

This actually works pretty well. It's not particularly bitter and the north eastern IPA yeast's citrus notes blend well with the lemonade. This is in the zone of an Arnold Palmer type flavor. Not bad, would be great on a really hot day! ABV 7.0%

• Like 4

As for me I think I have found a new go-to stout.  From Ninkasi Brewing Co. in Eugene, Oregon I give you Vanilla Oatis.

That's a good one Kenny. I like the regular Oatis better though as this one was a little sweet for me.

• Like 1

My pub was unable to serve up a draft Yeungling a couple weeks ago, so I ordered a Motorworks VTwin, only to find that they were down as well. That's when I discovered the Rolling Dirty, a killings red on steroids!

Has anyone else tried it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

My pub was unable to serve up a draft Yeungling a couple weeks ago, so I ordered a Motorworks VTwin, only to find that they were down as well. That's when I discovered the Rolling Dirty, a killings red on steroids!

Has anyone else tried it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No, but do like the names .. V Twin, Rolling Dirty.
  • Like 1

Dogfish Head Flesh & Blood IPA

https://www.dogfish.com

Dogfish Flesh Blood - 1.jpg

Flesh & Blood began with a ton of real citrus including lemon flesh and blood orange juice—hence the name—plus orange and lemon peel. Then the brewers began searching for the perfect combination of hops to perfectly complement the citrus flavors. After trialing number of different hops one-by-one, they emerged with Warrior and Centennial.

So what does this focus on simple, pure unadulterated fruit mean in terms of the aromatics and flavors in this beer? Flesh & Blood balances the resinous hoppy characteristics of an American IPA with the explosive zesty fruitiness and subtle drying tartness of citrus to deliver a highly quaffable ale that's incredibly unique and lovely to down the whole year round.

Alcohol Content: 7.5%

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 45

Color: Deep reddish orange

Aroma: Intense notes of citrus, orange, tropical fruits, lemon 

Flavor: Citrus, slightly tart, slightly pithy with juicy orange, lemon 

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with balanced bitterness

Dogfish Head: The Craft Beer OG

I bet that every craft beer lover has at one time or another wanted to make the trip to Dogfish Head Brewery. I know that I have. Not only is Dogfish one of the breweries that has been at the craft beer game for a while, they also make some super creative beers! Not ready to agree with that point? Feel free to go and read about Burton Baton. That beer is straight up mad science.

Whenever Sacramento Beer Week rolls around, I always check the schedule to see who is holding a Dogfish Head event. They always roll out the crazy/interesting stuff. In total fairness, I'm likely in the chase for two beers in particular: 120 Minute IPA and World Wide Stout. How good are they? Did you miss the part where I actively try to find them? They are fantastic, and their rarity makes them special treats.

Anyhoo, as soon as I noticed this new (to me) Flesh and Blood IPA in the store, I knew that it was next on Dave's New Brew Thursday list.

DRINKABILITY: Juicy Got Ya Crazy

That's right, I'm blowing today's door open quoting Oaktown's 357. Trust me there is a reason. For those of you not familiar with Oaktown's 357, they were a female rap group out of Oakland in the late 80's early 90's, featuring great hooks and a very danceable sound. Now if you clicked that above link and watched the video, you also know that they were a MC Hammer project. Hammer at his peak was producing all kinds of good stuff, and it made sense to spin the Hammer recipe into new projects.

Do you see where I'm going here?

Dogfish Head makes an amazing IPA, and using that as a spring board for new beers seems like a solid way to produce new spin-off beers. If you start with a good base formula, you just need to tweak it in new directions to make new hits. Yeah Yeah Yeah.

So how is the beer Dave?

It's really, really good. The IPAs from Dogfish are always a little maltier than our west coast versions, and I think that the bit of malt makes this severely drinkable. Lots of citrus, and I would totally describe Flesh and Blood as “juicy”. It's almost like a beer-based screwdriver. You get the IPA, but that citrus taste is breakfast table quenching. Cold going mad for this one.

GOLFABILITY: Solid, but Stiff

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

Dogfish Flesh Blood - 3.jpg

Popped one of these around 11:00am on the course today. Don't judge me; I was doing research! Temp was probably high 70's at that point, and windy. The Flesh and Blood hit the spot. I opened it as we were waiting, seemingly forever, for the group in front of us to putt on a par 3. Once the beer was open, I didn't care about the other group at all. I was in the juicy IPA zone.

Unfortunately the juicy IPA has some juice to it. The 7.5% ABV makes this a beer a side beer for me. Please adjust that to three a side for the next charity scramble. If we lose by 5 shots at -14, I'll be focusing more on the suds than the score from now on.

Buyagainability: I Can(s) See That

I actually only bought one of these bottles at the store. Helpful hint: Look for singles when trying out new beers. Helpful hint 2: Whole Foods will let you buy any beer in a six-pack as a single. Just pull one out and take it to the register. The other five beers go into the singles section. Easy stuff, huh?

So will I buy more? Probably. The fact that this also comes in cans is a plus for summer adventures and golf. I wasn't totally comfortable drinking from a glass bottle on the course today.

I'd say that this one is now in direct competition with the excellent Brew Free! Blood Orange IPA from 21st Amendment that I reviewed a few weeks ago. Both would be welcome finds in the ice chest.

Dogfish Flesh Blood - 2.jpg

History of Hip Hop Bonus

As a bonus, here is the whole 15 Minute video for Hammer's 2 Legit 2 Quit.

The cameos in this video are epic pop culture time capsules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCv86Olk8E

• Like 4

Nice review Dave!  Keep it up and you may turn me to IPAs.   :P   Warrior hops, eh?  I hope that isn't part of Warrior Golf!!   :lol:

• Like 3