Dave's New Brew Thursday

GolfSpy Dave

K, had not one but THREE new brews tonight!

Posted pics and.one-line descriptors starting at... Firestone Walker Nitro Merlin

Next post after that is:

Six Point Farm to IPA

Followed by:

The Brewery Hoppy Obligations

[emoji106]

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

• SPY VIP

Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel

https://www.weihenstephaner.de/en/

Weihen Dunk - 1.jpg

Our dark wheat beer is impressive with its creamy white foam. A fruity-fresh sweetness and hints of mature bananas harmonize with delicious flavors of roasted malt, sparkling and full-bodied with a light caramel taste on the first sip. An excellent accompaniment from hearty meals and game to chocolate and nut desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Alcohol Content: 5.3%

Bitterness Units (IBUS): 14

Color: Caramel

Style: Dark Wheat Beer

Sometimes I forget about German Bier

With the awesome beers that are available all over the place locally, I sometimes forget that there is an import section in the liquor store. It's funny how that has changed over the past decade or two. It used to be that if you wanted a “fancy” beer that you would order an imported one. Now, it's the more local, the better.

Thing is though, there are still a bunch of great beers out there that are worth exploring, even if it means that you need to jump a continent or two.

I actually picked up the Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel (dark wheat beer) in a beer exchange at work. Every so often, a few of us get together and swap mystery beers. This one was a favorite of one of the participants, and I can see why. Though I will drink just about any beer, I tend to choose the non-wheat beer option more often than not. Dark wheat is different though.

With the dunkel variation, you get a much richer, and roasty beer. It is not your usual Hefe...

DRINKABILITY: Slam Dunkel

Though I will drink just about any beer, I tend to choose the non-wheat beer option more often than not. As I said, dark wheat beer is different though. This beer has way more body, and in my opinion, more taste than a straight hefeweißbier. This beer sits nicely light on the tongue when you sip, and finishes with a little more malty satisfaction than a normal hefe. Nothing porter or stout happening here, just a bit of roast and caramel on the back end.

Weihen Dunk - 2.jpg

I'd be very happy drinking this beer under almost any situation. It's light enough to quench, yet has the body to be fortifying.

GOLFABILITY: Booyah, but Bottle

Golfability is a two-fold category. First, would you enjoy drinking this as you play, and second, would drinking this put the stink eye on your golf performance.

Solid refreshment and a low 5.3% ABV puts the Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel smack dab in the middle of the golfability target. It'll cut the dust, and not convince you that riding your club around ala Boo Weekly is a good idea. Pack two 500ml bottles in the bag and enjoy the ride.

Weihen Dunk - 4.jpg

Bottles are kind of a pain in the ass on the course though. If a stashed one broke in your bag it would be all kinds of lame. Personally, I'd pour one of these into an insulated tumbler, Yeti or other, and let that house the hops. One hidden bottle won't clank much against itself.

Buyagainability: Were the Choices Fewer

I like Weihenstephaner Hefeweißbier Dunkel quite a bit, but I think that it may get passed over when I'm driving through the beer aisle. There are so many beers out there, and my compulsion to try them all will probably cause me to look at this beer on the shelf and go “that's a good one”, as I move on to some random IPA infused with California Condor egg shells.

Should I run across this on tap though, I'll be putting away a couple of liters. It's a dynamite mug-swinging-in-the-pub bier. Prost!

Weihen Dunk - 3.jpg

• Like 3

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Yes, I think I would like this beer.  Now I have to find it.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ditto, nice review!

Almost.....makes me wanna try it .. have not been a fan of wheat beers, either. But the Dunkel .. hmmm....

And I know you're joking about the Condors as they're an endangered species, and all you Cally dudes are all like all eco-conscious and all that stuff, like ya know? ;-)

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of German wheat beers, either dark or cloudy, not so much the crystal. I've only ever found a couple of Oz wheat beers that are ok, but most of the German ones I've tried I've loved. Very sessionable (is this a word?) beers, but with a bit of seriousness about them.

I'll have revisit the Weihenstephaner Dunkel, it's been a long time between drinks, thanks for the reminder Dave.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Does Saturday on a holiday weekend count for a new brew?

Old Samuel Smith's India Ale

Well.. .. I picked this one 'cause the label was so colourful (-Brit spelling) and appealing. And it has an equally colourful story on the front plus a bit of history on the back. :)

But.. .. that was the best thing about this beer. Nothing remarkable to recommend it. :(

((-- sorry supposed to be a pic of the colorful label here but keep getting "upload failed" ... here's a link... --))

https://goo.gl/photos/woUYkcxDs2ggTAZY6

So here's the story from the front:

"In the 19th century there was a remarkable trade in all from Britain to India. The land of spice was Britain's major export market. The heavy hop levels of these pale ales shipped on the long voyage to India naturally preserved the ale and complemented the flavourful and exotic cuisine of the East. Samuel Smith's India Ale is characterised by the colour of a golden sunset, a refined maltiness and an emphasis on the aroma and flavour from Britain's best hop gardens."

See? Colorful story.

On the back they tell you they still draw well water from the same well that has been in use since 1758.

Anyway... I'll stick with Bass as my Old English _Pale_ Ale.

• Like 2

• SPY VIP

Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Across the World

http://www.beercamp.sierranevada.com/beers/

image2.jpeg

Brewing with friends is what Beer Camp is all about. We called on twelve breweries - six stateside and six overseas - to come together for a no-limits, one-time only collaboration pack.

So today's New Brew Thursday is not about a single beer, but rather three months of New Brew Thursdays. One of my favorite summer "things" is the annual release of the Beer Camp 12-Pack from Sierra Nevada.

For some of you. experience with Sierra Nevada may start and stop with the iconic green label Pale Ale. It's a solid beer, and has been in the craft arena for decades.

image3.jpeg

This Beer Camp 12-Pack is not full of green label... It's full of BEER MADNESS.

There are 12 different breweries/beers in this box, representing a vast range of styles. I don't know of another 12-pack that will have a dry-hopped barleywine blend sitting beside a spicy ginger lager and a beer called Raspberry Sundae. So much range in the box, and it's a wonder to explore.

image4.jpeg

I attack the pack with a friend. Typically, we each buy a 12-pack, and then drink the beers in the same order, either together or digitally. Way more fun to taste together though. It's also interesting how some hit for him (barleywine) and others for me (raspberry sundae). So much variation.

image5.jpeg

The only sad thing about the Beer Camp box is that if you find a beer that you really like (Boulevard DIPA), there is no way to buy more of that beer, and the extra sadness that the beer will never be made again.

Sometimes they do come back though. I believe that the six-packs of Tropical IPAs from a year or two ago were based upon a Beer Camp beer.

Be warned, it'll likely set you back about $25 for the 12-pack. I did balk at this the first go around, but never once after drinking those beers. The beers in this one are special. Hopefully you can find it near you.

• Like 3

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

attachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

Brewing with friends is what Beer Camp is all about. We called on twelve breweries - six stateside and six overseas - to come together for a no-limits, one-time only collaboration pack.

So today's New Brew Thursday is not about a single beer, but rather three months of New Brew Thursdays. One of my favorite summer "things" is the annual release of the Beer Camp 12-Pack from Sierra Nevada.

For some of you. experience with Sierra Nevada may start and stop with the iconic green label Pale Ale. It's a solid beer, and has been in the craft arena for decades.

attachicon.gifimage3.jpeg

There are 12 different breweries/beers in this box, representing a vast range of styles. I don't know of another 12-pack that will have a dry-hopped barleywine blend sitting beside a spicy ginger lager and a beer called Raspberry Sundae. So much range in the box, and it's a wonder to explore.

attachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

I attack the pack with a friend. Typically, we each buy a 12-pack, and then drink the beers in the same order, either together or digitally. Way more fun to taste together though. It's also interesting how some hit for him (barleywine) and others for me (raspberry sundae). So much variation.

attachicon.gifimage5.jpeg

The only sad thing about the Beer Camp box is that if you find a beer that you really like (Boulevard DIPA), there is no way to buy more of that beer, and the extra sadness that the beer will never be made again.

Sometimes they do come back though. I believe that the six-packs of Tropical IPAs from a year or two ago were based upon a Beer Camp beer.

Be warned, it'll likely set you back about $25 for the 12-pack. I did balk at this the first go around, but never once after drinking those beers. The beers in this one are special. Hopefully you can find it near you.

Love it!  What a great way to try out different beers.  I always buy one bottle if I don't know anything about it, but sometimes if I find a 6-pack of something I will probably like (stouts, porters), I will buy them.

OK, my turn...

"How would you like to mow my lawn?"

Today is mowing day.  I used to have a lawn service for 10 years when I worked because I would go on 2 week trips, mostly to Russia, and my wife hates mowing.  So do I, but when I retired a couple of years ago, I bought a mower and had it paid for with the lawn service charge in 3 months.  Since I knew I would be mowing on Thursday and it would be hot, I bought a beer to try out when I finished.

IPAs have not been my favorite over the years, but Dave and cksurfdude have posted rave reviews in the past, so I thought I would give one a try.

IMG_0720.jpg

The Double Mountain Hop Lion IPA not as hoppy as I would've expected, and it is quite drinkable.  I will probably buy this again.  ABV 6.7  IBU 65

Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom is located in Hood River, Oregon and has quite a variety of beers that I might have to give a go.  They also have seasonal beers, and coming up this summer is one called Clusterf#ck.  I may have to stop by this place on my monthly drive to Corvallis, Oregon!!

They also have a Bottle Return Program

Our Unique half-liter bottles are made of thick-walled glass, allowing them to be cleaned and reused many times.  Retailers who sell Double Mountain Bottles can segregate returned bottles for a return trip to the brewery in Hood River, where they can be cleaned and refilled with beer.

An added benefit of the heavier glass that Double Mountain uses is the protection from ultraviolet light harming beer flavor.  Our heavier glass bottles offer 2-3 times less light penetration than standard thin-walled one-way recycled glass.  The larger beer volume of the half-liter bottles also gives the beer longer shelf life than a 12 ounce bottle.

After enjoying one of our fine beers, return the empty to one of our participating retailers or bring it directly to the brewery.  If you choose to bring them to the brewery, be sure, and grab one of our bottle return punch cards. Have the card punched for each bottle returned and earn a free beer (or similarly priced food item) once you've returned a total of 20 bottles. Not into having a beer? We happily offer ten cents (double your Oregon deposit) on every bottle you return. Your reward for helping the planet, one beer at a time.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Whoa-ho-ho!

IPA?

KennyB??!!??

;-)

Nice!!

Love Hood River - tried to windsurf on the river there. Loooong time ago. Beautiful, beautiful area. And remember well - but not the name... a craft brew pub in town.

Well, anyway, nice review - that one sounds tempting - and cheers to New Brew Thursday [emoji482]

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage3.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage5.jpeg

Beer Camp??!!??

Wanna go! Where do I sign up ;-)

(Sounds like a lot more fun than band camp or science camp)

• Like 1

Lake Placid UBU Strong Ale

New BBQ place opened in town so we had to check it out for date night. They did a nice job renovating, throwing in a lot of old fashioned touches .. including actual phone booths!

((.. dammit getting an upload error again for the beer pic .. here's a link....))

https://goo.gl/photos/3N9Yudn9wNYu56xP9

And check out the tiles behind the taps (which are actually a "new-fashioned" setup) that they've scribed the current beer selections on.

OK, so the UBU -

First Look:

Clean pour, light froth on top, not too "heady", not too carbonated. Nice dark color; deep, rich amber and still a bit translucent .. not 'oscuro' like a Stout.

Aroma:

Some hoppiness comes through but compared to some of the fave IPAs this one is lower on the scale. No fruitiness nor floral essences here, either (not that I particularly like those in a beer but just mentioning).

First Taste:

Nice .. smooth .. a hint of bitterness but again low compared to some fave IPAs. Very drinkable but didn't knock my socks off. Does pair well with hearty (meaty!) bbq, tho!

GolfAbility:

Nah, a bit .. well .. strong ;-) .. at 7.5 and probably not the best thirst quencher on a hot day. After the round, tho - yeah.

After this I went to the Capt. Lawrence Effortless IPA. Very nice for an IPA but no clear distinguishing characteristics from their 'regular' IPA......

Oh, PS:

If you didn't know Lake Placid hosted the Winter Olympics and still serves as a training ground for the US Winter Olympic Team. Also a HUGE mountain biking area - worth a trip if you're into that!

• Like 1

IMG_0221.JPG Track 7 can release! I got this, the Sukah NE style IPA, the 2 Tracks NE style double and the Poor Pitiful Me, west coast style IPA. The Sukah is classic NE style, very fruity, lots of pineapple and mango flavors. Lots of body, not too boozy. I would estimate the bitterness at around 60 IBUs. Really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

All, I'm a horrible golfer but obsessed on getting better. However I am a ten handicap when it comes to craft beer.

I like this thread. Can't wait to start posting.

• Like 2

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

All, I'm a horrible golfer but obsessed on getting better.

Ha! Right there with ya!

However I am a ten handicap when it comes to craft beer.

Maybe you mean a "+" handicap [emoji6] [emoji2] [emoji6]

But yeah .. golf and beer just go soooo well together, don't they?

(but then *everything* goes with a good craft beer)

• Like 1

Ha! Right there with ya!

Maybe you mean a "+" handicap [emoji6] [emoji2] [emoji6]

But yeah .. golf and beer just go soooo well together, don't they?

(but then *everything* goes with a good craft beer)

My bad. And yes everything goes better wth craft beer. I'm lucky enough to live in SoCal and have access to a ton of it. Let me know what you want. I ship beer all the time.

• Like 1

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

Find me on Untappd. 'Fureousangel' is my name. I trade beer all the time.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

attachicon.gifIMG_6240.JPG

Nice! Am a fan of Stone - they make some really good brews.

Nice! Am a fan of Stone - they make some really good brews.

This is actually one of their better Enjoy By. The last two felt and tasted a little rushed.

I love their Russian Imperial Stout.

• Like 1

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black