TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft suggestion help

Paulgt3

Hello Fellas, I have some 716 AP2s and I am playing with my local pro. He is 22 and I am 58. He notices I am hitting a 7 iron around 140. He looks at my shafts and says "DUDE!! These are WAY TOO STIFF for you!!!"

Do you guys have any suggestions for my irons? I swing a driver 85-90 mph and its a FITTED 917 D2 with Diamana blue shaft and its perfect for me. Do I go reg flex steel or go graphite?

Thanks in advance.

It wouldn't be a recommendation thread if I didn't start off by saying it's best if you go get fit.  There is a lot more than what flex is stamped on to the shaft to get the best fit for you.  Material, weight, flex, length, bend profile are all going to play a big role in finding the best fit for you.

Outside of a proper fitting your next best bet would be to head to a local shop and try hitting irons with different shafts.  Try something light weight, heavy weight, graphite, steel, reg flex, stiff etc and see what jumps out at you.  It's better than picking a random shaft but I'd still recommend the fitting route.

For me to tell you go get a 70 gram graphite shaft in stiff flex, or a 95 gram steel shaft in reg flex would be the equivalent of throwing darts at a board.

It would also help if you could list what flex, weight and model shafts you play now.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It wouldn't be a recommendation thread if I didn't start off by saying it's best if you go get fit. There is a lot more than what flex is stamped on to the shaft to get the best fit for you. Material, weight, flex, length, bend profile are all going to play a big role in finding the best fit for you.

Outside of a proper fitting your next best bet would be to head to a local shop and try hitting irons with different shafts. Try something light weight, heavy weight, graphite, steel, reg flex, stiff etc and see what jumps out at you. It's better than picking a random shaft but I'd still recommend the fitting route.

For me to tell you go get a 70 gram graphite shaft in stiff flex, or a 95 gram steel shaft in reg flex would be the equivalent of throwing darts at a board.

It would also help if you could list what flex, weight and model shafts you play now.

You play darts?

Lol 3 in the bed is good terminology

But I agree get fit or go demo different shafts.

Often wonder if my shafts are good for me. Then I pure one and the ball does what I actually want it to do. Then the shaft thought goes away

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

... I have been playing graphite in my irons for a loooong time now. Started out with NV Tour shafts that were 130gms to replace my DGS300s because of tendinitis in my elbow and never switched back to steel. Long story short I went to 105gms, 100gms and then 85gms. The 85's were too light and I am playing Recoil 95's that I absolutely love. The point being you need to experiment with different weights to find what works best for you. 

... Obviously getting fitted is your best option. The Mizuno Shaft Analyzer will get you in the right ball park. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

What shafts are in your Irons now? Like everyone else said go get fit instead of throwing darts. Club head and swing type vary from player to player which also makes results vary. I normally play X100s and when I got fit for my TMBs I got better results with the AMT S300s hardstepped. Never would have considered that until we did the fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Hello Fellas, I have some 716 AP2s and I am playing with my local pro. He is 22 and I am 58. He notices I am hitting a 7 iron around 140. He looks at my shafts and says "DUDE!! These are WAY TOO STIFF for you!!!"

Do you guys have any suggestions for my irons? I swing a driver 85-90 mph and its a FITTED 917 D2 with Diamana blue shaft and its perfect for me. Do I go reg flex steel or go graphite?

Thanks in advance.

Go get fit

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

all of the above.... and Aerotech steel-fiber.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have a similar swing speed, and I went to graphite many years ago.  It used to be that graphite in irons was a crap shoot, but today's graphite is really good with most manufacturers, whether it is lightweight or heavy.  The key is to get a shaft that fits your swing type.  Personally, I like a heavier graphite... 90-95 grams, but that's me.  It might not be best for you.  With our swing speed though I wouldn't go with stiff.  Regular flex should be great, but each manufacturer's flex is different so find a fitter to get you the best one for your swing.  Good luck!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

... Probably just semantics Kenny B, but I would not call 90-95 gm "heavy" graphite. For instance Recoil and Steelfiber have heavier shafts at 110 and 125 gms. I had a hard time going to 95 gms as I had been dropping from the original NV Tours at 130 to NV Pro at 105 to VS Proto 100 then VS Proto 85 which proved to be too light. I went to Steelfober 95's and they were too light and I wasn't fond of the feel. Next I tried Recoil 95's and they were still just a hair lighter than I prefer but I added some weight to the head and got them to D4 which did the trick and now I love them. I have 110's in my wedges and the 95s in my irons. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

when you go get fit........ :D

Some of the better shafts are:

UST Recoil - pick a model. 600 series, ES line, prototype and tourspx all have their merits

Steelfiber, I personally don't have a lot of experience with them. But I have yet to hear of a bad report on them

ACCRA - the Iseries although basic has a wide range from 40 g to 110 in 10 gram increments. Now there is a color and engraving for a more personal touch.

I just tested the 90 gram and my acceleration profile was impressive, for me that is.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I went through a fitting about a week ago. Tried a lot of the graphite options and couldn't find one that worked. Surprisingly I was fit into a 90 gram xp steel.... I had KBS 110.

But....like everyone else said...spend the 100 bucks and let an expert tell you.

It will be well worth it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

... Probably just semantics Kenny B, but I would not call 90-95 gm "heavy" graphite. For instance Recoil and Steelfiber have heavier shafts at 110 and 125 gms. I had a hard time going to 95 gms as I had been dropping from the original NV Tours at 130 to NV Pro at 105 to VS Proto 100 then VS Proto 85 which proved to be too light. I went to Steelfober 95's and they were too light and I wasn't fond of the feel. Next I tried Recoil 95's and they were still just a hair lighter than I prefer but I added some weight to the head and got them to D4 which did the trick and now I love them. I have 110's in my wedges and the 95s in my irons. 

Yeah, it depends on your frame of reference.  I was going by Paulgt3 swing speed which is similar to mine.  I think that eliminates most shafts that are over 95 grams, at least it does for me.  Most OEM iron stock shafts in regular flex are between 70 - 82 grams, which probably fits most people with that swing speed.  I tried the Steelfiber 95 and it felt good swinging it, but it just didn't give me the performance I needed.  I went with the UST ProForce 95.  It really shows that a fitter is needed to get a shaft that matches your swing characteristics.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am the same age as you, have the same swing speed and play the same irons.

I have the KBS Tour 90's in them in R flex. I was fit to them online and also compared them in an outdoor fitting as well to some others. recoil 95s were almost the same performance, but I went with the less expensive choice as I have had the Tour 90s before and loved them.

All that said, it's best to go get professionally fit as everyone has said.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've never been fit, but I really dig the Recoil shafts. I have Apex CF 16s w/ UST Recoil ES 760/780 in stiff flex. I tried a few different types before landing on the USTs. I'm in no way a stats/numbers geek. It was simply a matter of feel. They behave a lot like steel with all the dampening benefits of graphite. Perfect for an equipment geek, weekend hacker like me.

Go get fit. Find a fitter that does titleist and go find out what is best. Then just get the shafts installed along with loft, lie and length. It will be cheaper and well worth the time and money investment.

Archived