Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

club cleaning tips tricks hints

StrokerAce

@artful_golfer,  i have never heard of this before and wouldnt have any recommendations on how to clean the clubs.   Best bet would have been to ask the course how the clubs should  be cleaned to prevent spreading the fungus.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

57 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@artful_golfer,  i have never heard of this before and wouldnt have any recommendations on how to clean the clubs.   Best bet would have been to ask the course how the clubs should  be cleaned to prevent spreading the fungus.  

Clean & disinfect instructions came from the pro shop. One lady used a bottle of anti-bacterial/fungal spray from her husband's veterinary clinic on her equipment. Another lady used only soap and water. A fourth hasn't done anything yet and played a different local course today, but said she planned to clean hers tonight. So far I'm the only one that cleaned inside my bag.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

2 minutes ago, bullldog said:

Seen this resurface & I'm goin to add... I'm a backwards, lol, I clean before the shot with wet towel & just put the club in the bag after.

Does sand, dirt and pieces of grass fall down in your bag? I was surprised at the grass that came out of my bag when I poured out the water.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

2 minutes ago, bullldog said:

LOL.. probably.. Never really clean the bag that good.. Just empty contents & open all the zippers after playing in the rain.

Well this was my first time to give mine a thorough cleaning. And hopefully my last. Drying out after a rain to prevent mildew is one thing, thorough cleaning is a whole different issue. Now everything smells like Lysol, including my house ugh!

PXG 0811 XF driver

10 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Clean & disinfect instructions came from the pro shop. One lady used a bottle of anti-bacterial/fungal spray from her husband's veterinary clinic on her equipment. Another lady used only soap and water. A fourth hasn't done anything yet and played a different local course today, but said she planned to clean hers tonight. So far I'm the only one that cleaned inside my bag.

I understand that the instructions to clean and disinfect instructions came from the pro shop.   The questions you asked was about what to use since it seems that most of your group is doing something different, they didn't tell you what products you should use.  That was the piece the pro shop should have also explained.  

10 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Does sand, dirt and pieces of grass fall down in your bag? I was surprised at the grass that came out of my bag when I poured out the water.

Unless you clean your clubs after every shot, there will be dirt and grass  in the bottom of the bag.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would be a bit more concerned about hands, gloves and grips. Whatever type of fungus there was transferred to the ball - then glove or hand when you picked it up and then to the grips. I'll bet it stays on the grip or glove a lot longer than on the club head itself. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I would be a bit more concerned about hands, gloves and grips. Whatever type of fungus there was transferred to the ball - then glove or hand when you picked it up and then to the grips. I'll bet it stays on the grip or glove a lot longer than on the club head itself. 

The same thought about transferring went through my mind. That's why I soaked virtually everything in the disinfectant mix and then pour the it down inside my bag.

PXG 0811 XF driver

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

I understand that the instructions to clean and disinfect instructions came from the pro shop.   The questions you asked was about what to use since it seems that most of your group is doing something different, they didn't tell you what products you should use.  That was the piece the pro shop should have also explained. 

I agree a little more info would have been helpful. Obviously none of us were on the same wave length.

PXG 0811 XF driver

During the wet season here in Oregon, I clean in the dunk tank at the club every few rounds or take them in my kitchen and scrub them with hot soapy water.  Well, I guess during the drier season I do the same. 

I try and keep them clean as I go but not always great at that.  I generally look over the grooves and clean as needed before every shot.

With my grips I keep a moist towel handy and wipe (tack them up) before most shots. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 11 months later...

Recently got 2 sets of 'older' clubs - one from eBay and one from FB.

The eBay set is mp32s from 2004 and the other is a set of McGregor from 1968.

Both were in not-so-new condition... especially the really older clubs 

Used Bar Keepers Friend and this is a miracle cure...removed rust, tarnish and these things shine like a diamond ring.

Cannot ever see myself using anything else... 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I'm a notoriously bad club cleaner. I might clean them twice in a season. I do wipe the crap off after every shot, but I'm just not that devoted to cleaning them after every round...lol.

edit:

I do keep my grips clean...lol.

Edited by silver & black