Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Wedge Chatter

I've been studying wedges for a few weeks now.  Had used Vokey's for years...purchased some Harry Taylor wedges.  Really like them but they have s400 shafts and seem stiffer than the wedge shafts of Titleist.  

Also -- looking at grinds.  I have an old, BeCu DCI 56 with a Triple Grind sole...love that club but have not used it due to wear on the grooves.  I cannot find a Titleist wedge with a triple grind...

Any thoughts on these issues...

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

Been experimenting with Cally's PM grind wedges - they definitely take some getting used to, but it's a pretty versatile grind if you like to open the face up and try a few different things. I'm not there yet with my short game, but they are unique.  The new PING's have an Eye Sole option - that'll be similar to the old Ping Eye wedge - anxious to give that one try.

Also like what Cleveland has done with their grinds -- still using the three dot formula, but they've adapted the VT sole - great on full shots.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Interested to see how the Ping Glide 2.0 testing goes.

I gamed the original Glides for about 9 months and while I loved them around the greens, I struggled to get proper distance with them on full shots.

I played the 54 degree, and I maxed out at 95 yards with it while with my previous wedges (Hopkins, md2) and now my vokey I get my usual 105 yards with the 54..

Have you considered reshafting the Harry Taylors?  If you have older wedges you liked you could just pull the shafts from those and re-use them.

As for the grinds you could try and find another one in better condition from ebay.  Or perhaps contacts the titleist custom department and see if you could get Titleist TVD wedges in a similar grind.  I've been playing Scor's and Hogan's for the past couple seasons and have really come to love the V-Sole.

Last option would be to get an old wedge and a grinder and start practicing.  Maybe you could have a little DIY project and try to recreate that grind.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My SCORs are back in the bag, and doing just fine. They spent a year in my closet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My SCORs are back in the bag, and doing just fine. They spent a year in my closet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

They're a fantastic wedge. Love mine!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Have you considered reshafting the Harry Taylors?  If you have older wedges you liked you could just pull the shafts from those and re-use them.

As for the grinds you could try and find another one in better condition from ebay.  Or perhaps contacts the titleist custom department and see if you could get Titleist TVD wedges in a similar grind.  I've been playing Scor's and Hogan's for the past couple seasons and have really come to love the V-Sole.

Last option would be to get an old wedge and a grinder and start practicing.  Maybe you could have a little DIY project and try to recreate that grind.

Yes I have...but wanted to make sure that the Wedge shaft was softer than the S400.  

Yes I have...but wanted to make sure that the Wedge shaft was softer than the S400.  

The majority of Vokey wedges are S200.  But from what I've been able to find it could be anything from an s200 to an s400.  It's basically just an unsorted Dynamic Gold stiff flex shaft.  Biggest difference between an S200 and an s400 is just the weight.

If you are looking for a "softer" wedge shaft I would consider replacing the stock shaft with an S200 or you could go with any of the S2/3/4 shafts but use an 8i shaft instead.  That would soft step the shaft and make it play slightly weaker to flex.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have played older Ping and Titleist wedges, but when I tried the SCORs I fell in love.  I play 5 of them from 42 to 58 degrees.  I have no interest in looking at anything else.  I know that the Hogans are nearly identical, but I prefer the look of the SCORs.  I wish they were still being made.  I just had to buy a backup set when they were discounted.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have played older Ping and Titleist wedges, but when I tried the SCORs I fell in love.  I play 5 of them from 42 to 58 degrees.  I have no interest in looking at anything else.  I know that the Hogans are nearly identical, but I prefer the look of the SCORs.  I wish they were still being made.  I just had to buy a backup set when they were discounted.

PGA Super Store has a nice supply of SCOR closeouts. Wouldn't surprise me if they wind up with Hogan closeouts too....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I change wedges like some people change out putters lol.

Last year was the first year I kept the same wedges all year, plus going to start this year with.

SM6 46f 50f 54m 58k.

Just get along with them so good, can't see me changing anytime soon.......

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I played a set vokey sm4's from 2009 forever (48-52-56-60). Tried all sorts of wedges (cobra, cleveland, scor, you name it) and kept going back.

Last year I went to 48-54-60 and loved it.

I had kept sharpening the old vokeys to the point that they would shred lettuce...

Over the winter I got a set of new vokey sm6's in 48-54-60 and they are incredible. Can't imagine them being replaced for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedges have never been good to me.  I have generally stuck with Vokeys or Clevelands but I seem to get inconsistent performance especially on less than half shots.    Inconsistent is on the longer shots I have a tendency to be fat especially in wetter conditions and thin when I am hitting chips and short pitches.  I have tried different bounces,  but just can't get comfortable.  Might not even be the wedges and that I need to take lessons.   All I know is that this aspect of my game is keeping me from getting close to scratch.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Wedges have never been good to me.  I have generally stuck with Vokeys or Clevelands but I seem to get inconsistent performance especially on less than half shots.    Inconsistent is on the longer shots I have a tendency to be fat especially in wetter conditions and thin when I am hitting chips and short pitches.  I have tried different bounces,  but just can't get comfortable.  Might not even be the wedges and that I need to take lessons.   All I know is that this aspect of my game is keeping me from getting close to scratch.  

THAT was the main reason I switched from Vokeys to SCOR.  With the Vokeys I could never be consistent with my chips.  I really prefer a nice forged wedge for chipping; the ball just feels better coming off the face.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played a set vokey sm4's from 2009 forever (48-52-56-60). Tried all sorts of wedges (cobra, cleveland, scor, you name it) and kept going back.

Last year I went to 48-54-60 and loved it.

I had kept sharpening the old vokeys to the point that they would shred lettuce...

Over the winter I got a set of new vokey sm6's in 48-54-60 and they are incredible. Can't imagine them being replaced for a long time.

Six Degrees of Separation, huh? :)

Ha, anyway .. Your off-speed shots must be pretty good!

I'm comfortable with 4 apart in 50-54-58 .. for now .. could change in the future.... Pitching Wedge is 45, and short irons are +5 up from there.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I change wedges like some people change out putters lol.

Last year was the first year I kept the same wedges all year, plus going to start this year with.

SM6 46f 50f 54m 58k.

Just get along with them so good, can't see me changing anytime soon.......

LOL.

I found by chance a TG (Tour Grind) Cleveland years ago and there was such a difference for me that I have a set of replacements put up for the day they might be needed. 588 Tour Actions 52, 56, 60. Hit others that are nice but stuck on these.

Six Degrees of Separation, huh? :)

Ha, anyway .. Your off-speed shots must be pretty good!

I'm comfortable with 4 apart in 50-54-58 .. for now .. could change in the future.... Pitching Wedge is 45, and short irons are +5 up from there.

It's sort of evolved that way, and works for me.

48* pw replaces the same loft from my iron set.

54* is my 'one size fits all' club around the greens (the way we used a pw years ago)

60* gets used in the sand mostly

THAT was the main reason I switched from Vokeys to SCOR. With the Vokeys I could never be consistent with my chips. I really prefer a nice forged wedge for chipping; the ball just feels better coming off the face.

Glad you found something that works for you. I probably need to go find a place with lots of wedges and try different manufacturers and sole grind to see what works best for me. At this point I have gotten close to being afraid to pull a wedge out of my bag which is not beneficial to scoring well.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have never heard of the SCOR wedges -- went and looked at them at PGA Tour Superstore.  Might have to try one of these...interesting concept.  Thanks for sharing.

Glad you found something that works for you. I probably need to go find a place with lots of wedges and try different manufacturers and sole grind to see what works best for me. At this point I have gotten close to being afraid to pull a wedge out of my bag which is not beneficial to scoring well.

Have you tried an 8 or 9 iron for chipping?  I know it is old fashioned, but with a little practice the ground becomes your friend.  I love them for chipping...

Have you tried an 8 or 9 iron for chipping?  I know it is old fashioned, but with a little practice the ground becomes your friend.  I love them for chipping...

I chip and pitch with lots of clubs.  I try to let the situation dictate the club and I try to land the ball a few feet onto the green and let it run out to the hole.   For example 9 iron would be my 1 part carry 4 parts roll club.  

Have you tried an 8 or 9 iron for chipping? I know it is old fashioned, but with a little practice the ground becomes your friend. I love them for chipping...

I chip and pitch with lots of clubs. I try to let the situation dictate the club and I try to land the ball a few feet onto the green and let it run out to the hole. For example 9 iron would be my 1 part carry 4 parts roll club.

Old School! Love it

Sidebar:

Last Summer one charity outing I volunteered at they had me sit by the green of a long uphill Par 3 to spot the Hole In One contest. No, noone made it but the story here is EVERY player .. not most, *everyone* .. who landed short and on the upslope went for the Phil flopshot. And EVERY player .. not most, *everyone* .. failed.....

Many were still short of the green, a few went off to the side or into a bunker, a few went long.

Only guy who put it close from a short tee shot did the old school bump and run.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My b-in-law says that Harry Taylor Golf has gone under...anyone know anything about this?  Great wedges but marketing plan was a little sketchy.

Archived