Sign in to follow this  
Padreruf

Wedge Chatter

I've been studying wedges for a few weeks now.  Had used Vokey's for years...purchased some Harry Taylor wedges.  Really like them but they have s400 shafts and seem stiffer than the wedge shafts of Titleist.  

Also -- looking at grinds.  I have an old, BeCu DCI 56 with a Triple Grind sole...love that club but have not used it due to wear on the grooves.  I cannot find a Titleist wedge with a triple grind...

Any thoughts on these issues...

• Like 1

Been experimenting with Cally's PM grind wedges - they definitely take some getting used to, but it's a pretty versatile grind if you like to open the face up and try a few different things. I'm not there yet with my short game, but they are unique.  The new PING's have an Eye Sole option - that'll be similar to the old Ping Eye wedge - anxious to give that one try.

Also like what Cleveland has done with their grinds -- still using the three dot formula, but they've adapted the VT sole - great on full shots.

• Like 2

Interested to see how the Ping Glide 2.0 testing goes.

I gamed the original Glides for about 9 months and while I loved them around the greens, I struggled to get proper distance with them on full shots.

I played the 54 degree, and I maxed out at 95 yards with it while with my previous wedges (Hopkins, md2) and now my vokey I get my usual 105 yards with the 54..

• Like 1

Have you considered reshafting the Harry Taylors?  If you have older wedges you liked you could just pull the shafts from those and re-use them.

As for the grinds you could try and find another one in better condition from ebay.  Or perhaps contacts the titleist custom department and see if you could get Titleist TVD wedges in a similar grind.  I've been playing Scor's and Hogan's for the past couple seasons and have really come to love the V-Sole.

Last option would be to get an old wedge and a grinder and start practicing.  Maybe you could have a little DIY project and try to recreate that grind.

• Like 4

My SCORs are back in the bag, and doing just fine. They spent a year in my closet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

My SCORs are back in the bag, and doing just fine. They spent a year in my closet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

They're a fantastic wedge. Love mine!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Have you considered reshafting the Harry Taylors?  If you have older wedges you liked you could just pull the shafts from those and re-use them.

As for the grinds you could try and find another one in better condition from ebay.  Or perhaps contacts the titleist custom department and see if you could get Titleist TVD wedges in a similar grind.  I've been playing Scor's and Hogan's for the past couple seasons and have really come to love the V-Sole.

Last option would be to get an old wedge and a grinder and start practicing.  Maybe you could have a little DIY project and try to recreate that grind.

Yes I have...but wanted to make sure that the Wedge shaft was softer than the S400.  

Yes I have...but wanted to make sure that the Wedge shaft was softer than the S400.  

The majority of Vokey wedges are S200.  But from what I've been able to find it could be anything from an s200 to an s400.  It's basically just an unsorted Dynamic Gold stiff flex shaft.  Biggest difference between an S200 and an s400 is just the weight.

If you are looking for a "softer" wedge shaft I would consider replacing the stock shaft with an S200 or you could go with any of the S2/3/4 shafts but use an 8i shaft instead.  That would soft step the shaft and make it play slightly weaker to flex.

• Like 1

I have played older Ping and Titleist wedges, but when I tried the SCORs I fell in love.  I play 5 of them from 42 to 58 degrees.  I have no interest in looking at anything else.  I know that the Hogans are nearly identical, but I prefer the look of the SCORs.  I wish they were still being made.  I just had to buy a backup set when they were discounted.

• Like 1

I have played older Ping and Titleist wedges, but when I tried the SCORs I fell in love.  I play 5 of them from 42 to 58 degrees.  I have no interest in looking at anything else.  I know that the Hogans are nearly identical, but I prefer the look of the SCORs.  I wish they were still being made.  I just had to buy a backup set when they were discounted.

PGA Super Store has a nice supply of SCOR closeouts. Wouldn't surprise me if they wind up with Hogan closeouts too....

• Like 1

I change wedges like some people change out putters lol.

Last year was the first year I kept the same wedges all year, plus going to start this year with.

SM6 46f 50f 54m 58k.

Just get along with them so good, can't see me changing anytime soon.......

• Like 2

I played a set vokey sm4's from 2009 forever (48-52-56-60). Tried all sorts of wedges (cobra, cleveland, scor, you name it) and kept going back.

Last year I went to 48-54-60 and loved it.

I had kept sharpening the old vokeys to the point that they would shred lettuce...

Over the winter I got a set of new vokey sm6's in 48-54-60 and they are incredible. Can't imagine them being replaced for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedges have never been good to me.  I have generally stuck with Vokeys or Clevelands but I seem to get inconsistent performance especially on less than half shots.    Inconsistent is on the longer shots I have a tendency to be fat especially in wetter conditions and thin when I am hitting chips and short pitches.  I have tried different bounces,  but just can't get comfortable.  Might not even be the wedges and that I need to take lessons.   All I know is that this aspect of my game is keeping me from getting close to scratch.  

• Like 2

Wedges have never been good to me.  I have generally stuck with Vokeys or Clevelands but I seem to get inconsistent performance especially on less than half shots.    Inconsistent is on the longer shots I have a tendency to be fat especially in wetter conditions and thin when I am hitting chips and short pitches.  I have tried different bounces,  but just can't get comfortable.  Might not even be the wedges and that I need to take lessons.   All I know is that this aspect of my game is keeping me from getting close to scratch.  

THAT was the main reason I switched from Vokeys to SCOR.  With the Vokeys I could never be consistent with my chips.  I really prefer a nice forged wedge for chipping; the ball just feels better coming off the face.

• Like 2

I played a set vokey sm4's from 2009 forever (48-52-56-60). Tried all sorts of wedges (cobra, cleveland, scor, you name it) and kept going back.

Last year I went to 48-54-60 and loved it.

I had kept sharpening the old vokeys to the point that they would shred lettuce...

Over the winter I got a set of new vokey sm6's in 48-54-60 and they are incredible. Can't imagine them being replaced for a long time.

Six Degrees of Separation, huh? :)

Ha, anyway .. Your off-speed shots must be pretty good!

I'm comfortable with 4 apart in 50-54-58 .. for now .. could change in the future.... Pitching Wedge is 45, and short irons are +5 up from there.

I change wedges like some people change out putters lol.

Last year was the first year I kept the same wedges all year, plus going to start this year with.

SM6 46f 50f 54m 58k.

Just get along with them so good, can't see me changing anytime soon.......

LOL.

I found by chance a TG (Tour Grind) Cleveland years ago and there was such a difference for me that I have a set of replacements put up for the day they might be needed. 588 Tour Actions 52, 56, 60. Hit others that are nice but stuck on these.

Six Degrees of Separation, huh? :)

Ha, anyway .. Your off-speed shots must be pretty good!

I'm comfortable with 4 apart in 50-54-58 .. for now .. could change in the future.... Pitching Wedge is 45, and short irons are +5 up from there.

It's sort of evolved that way, and works for me.

48* pw replaces the same loft from my iron set.

54* is my 'one size fits all' club around the greens (the way we used a pw years ago)

60* gets used in the sand mostly

• Like 1

THAT was the main reason I switched from Vokeys to SCOR. With the Vokeys I could never be consistent with my chips. I really prefer a nice forged wedge for chipping; the ball just feels better coming off the face.

Glad you found something that works for you. I probably need to go find a place with lots of wedges and try different manufacturers and sole grind to see what works best for me. At this point I have gotten close to being afraid to pull a wedge out of my bag which is not beneficial to scoring well.

If they'd just put a straighterish leading edge on Edel wedges I would own every loft from 46°-64° in every sole, and I'd also be broke for a year. The extended grooves... Just. Makes. Sense.

I have never heard of the SCOR wedges -- went and looked at them at PGA Tour Superstore.  Might have to try one of these...interesting concept.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1