TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chipper Clubs..?

RexS

First I wanna say I've been playing golf for 30+ years. I thought I would never consider one of these, it just doesn't seem right to use one. Lately I've been struggling on my chips around the green. Probably because I just don't play as often and really getting out of practice. I found a new Acer XK chipper head on ebay for $13.  I have shafts and grips at home to build it so I decide what the hell.

Anyone else, swallowed their pride and use one?

Acer.jpg

Acer _1_Large.jpg

acer-xk-chipper-head.jpg

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I haven't made the jump to try one.  I mostly use my 58 around the greens but if I need to hit that bump and run I'll choke down on a 7 or 8i and use a putting stroke.

Just curious what club you took out to make room for it in the bag?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Well at first I'm not gonna take anything out, will just test it out on a couple practice rounds.  If I am in a tournament and really need to take something out it would probably be the 16 degree 2 hybrid I don't use very often. I normally use my 3 wood or for a little less the 3 hybrid. I just really need to do something to get my chips closer to the hole.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

Hey RexS, if the chipper works, good for you. I have a friend that has mastered the chipper. He is very accurate, leaving only small putts.

What length did you shaft it? What kind of shaft?

What was you overall cost?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I play with a guy who used a 7 iron fir chips a lot. I've never seen anyone use an actual chipper though!

I have refurbed and sold a couple of the old TPM8 chippers that looked like a putter. Again, never seen one in use.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have actually been chipping er let's say putting with a 5 iron lately with good results.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

A good friend of mine at the club where I used to be a member, played a chipper and was very good at it.  At that time I actually considered getting one and thought the Cleveland Smartsole looked like a club I could use.  However, this past year I spent a lot of time practicing chips with my SCORs and I am happy with the results.  I think I have a little more flexibility on shot selection than with a chipper.  If it works for the shots you need, it's probably worth more strokes than your 2H.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Off and on my whole golf career I've thought about trying one and I've played with many that used them. Sometimes to great effect. I just never pulled the trigger is all and actually I chip reasonably well using a variety of clubs. About 3 summers ago I played in a shirts & skirts deal for two days. One of the ladies (and no I'm using this example as a put down) was absolutely deadly with her chipper. She's a good players too with an 8 hcp. I recall she chipped in twice and left everything else around the hole for tap-ins.

I think chippers have a place and can be a game saver for certain players. I'd not hesitate to use one if I felt it'd be best for my game. .... use what works best for you. Record your par and move on to the next hole.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Personally, I would think that if using a chipper significantly would improve your game, then by all means use it.   The make up of one's bag should be what's best for them.  From that perspective, if I were to put a chipper in my bag, that would mean I must decide which club to remove.  At this point, every club in my bag has its respective job to do, so to speak, so I would be hard pressed to figure out which club to remove.  Accordingly, I grip down on a hybrid for such purposes, with proper practice (that is my failing, a lack of practice) it is my hope to maintain my current bag.

Personally, I would think that if using a chipper significantly would improve your game, then by all means use it. The make up of one's bag should be what's best for them. From that perspective, if I were to put a chipper in my bag, that would mean I must decide which club to remove. At this point, every club in my bag has its respective job to do, so to speak, so I would be hard pressed to figure out which club to remove. Accordingly, I grip down on a hybrid for such purposes, with proper practice (that is my failing, a lack of practice) it is my hope to maintain my current bag.

I've seen you play and you Definitely DON'T need a chipper ;)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

fozcycle, gonna build it tonight. Gonna use a steel putter shaft @ 34"  and a SS 2.0 grip.

My putter is @ 32" with a SS 3.0 grip. 

I agree with all of you, if it works and saves strokes go for it. That's why I'm gonna give it a shot.

If I don't like it, I guess I better schedule more practice time to get my chipping back in shape.

Haven't really looked into it too much but to save your pride a little bit how about looking into one of those cavity back Cleveland wedges? Will look a lot better in your bag I'm not sure how they compare in performance but maybe check it out!

I use one, I love it. I can pitch but can't chip. I use a Cleveland C wedge and it has definitely helped me out

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I just had an epiphany. I have a good friend and we've been playing together for 30 years I'd guess. He is a good player except.... he yips his chips. Consistently! It's terrible to watch. So... he mostly plays the so called Texas Wedge from all over the place and even 30 yards off the green. It's ridiculous.  I think I'm going to suggest he try one. I think it might be better than a putter. Same putting  style stroke but maybe with better results. At least the chipper has a little loft on it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I have put the Odyssey X Act in my bag this year as I struggle around the green with blading etc. Limited rounds so far this year but I will say I've found myself reaching for it often from about 25 yards and in. I plan on working my short game more as the weather permits, but thus far this club has been fantastic for me. Easily saving 3-5 strokes a round so far.

Make sure you practice with it so that you get used to distances etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just had an epiphany. I have a good friend and we've been playing together for 30 years I'd guess. He is a good player except.... he yips his chips. Consistently! It's terrible to watch. So... he mostly plays the so called Texas Wedge from all over the place and even 30 yards off the green. It's ridiculous. I think I'm going to suggest he try one. I think it might be better than a putter. Same putting style stroke but maybe with better results. At least the chipper has a little loft on it.

I remember my dad had a Texas Wedge in the bag...I'm pretty sure it's at the bottom of a lake now...

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

It's something I've thought about off and on especially when I don't touch a club between tournaments due to business travel. I applaud you for considering all options to improve.

When I don't get out and practice/play between tournament rounds the first thing to go is my chipping, second is my swing bottom. I may need to eventually follow through and at least try it. If it doesn't work out it wouldn't be the first club sitting in my garage that was hardly used (I'm terrible at selling clubs)...

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The two big questions from my perspective would be...

What club would I replace? Another words would improved chipping (assuming I do improve) offset the loss of the club that I took out of the bag.

Have I exhausted all the possibilities with my current set? Hybrids function very much like a chipper. Perhaps there is some club already there that will do the trick with a little practice.

If I had a positive answer to the first question and had tried everything with what was currently in my bag is give a chipper a go. Chipping is very important.

Good luck!

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Chipping and pitching are two different shots. People sometimes confuse the two I've noticed through the years. Anyway..

My chipping is pretty solid most days. However, and for quite some time my pitching has been... weak to put it mildly. So, I had my first session of the year with my instructor a couple of weeks ago. He always asks before hand what I'd like to work on. So I said my pitching. Already in just the couple of weeks since; my pitch shots have much improved. So what was my problem? It's hard to explain somewhat but basically it was just basic technique or perhaps a lack of awareness more than anything. Ball position, take away, follow-through, etc. Over the past couple of years I've found it beneficial to have a good instructor you can turn to. People like a trusted instructor that can many times set you straight and on a path to improvement. It's the little things that can make huge differences.

Cleveland's 2011 Niblick 'Hybrid Wedges' are still the best!  Deadly accurate for full swing shots as well!.. :rolleyes:

I have the full set....42* (PW), 49* (DW), and 56* (SW-LW) and love them all!... :wub:

niblickpw.jpg

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Golf is a game.

Games are supposed to be FUN.

Play whatever you want!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I see no downside in giving it a try, especially at that price. Go for it and let us know how it works for you.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I just returned from the course and earlier I had run into my lady friend golfer (8 hcp.) as she was making the turn. I walked over and peeked in her bag and sure enough.... she's still carrying the chipper. I made a joking remark to her that if I have to play against her she had to leave the chipper at home. 

I invited her and 2 of her lady friends to join us next Saturday. I hope they do. They are all competitive and fun to play with.

fozcycle, gonna build it tonight. Gonna use a steel putter shaft @ 34"  and a SS 2.0 grip.

My putter is @ 32" with a SS 3.0 grip. 

I agree with all of you, if it works and saves strokes go for it. That's why I'm gonna give it a shot.

If I don't like it, I guess I better schedule more practice time to get my chipping back in shape.

Not sure if you are trying to be "conforming", but a chipper counts as an iron and may not use a putter grip. If you dont care, then party  on my friend.

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

I did end up putting on a regular grip.

I looked at it a long time ago, but heard they are not legal. Otherwise I would have pulled the trigger. Today I use my PW, and it works well for me, so until/unless I get the yips I'm sticking with it.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I did end up putting on a regular grip.

This thread actually inspired me to dig out a couple old chippers I had in the garage. Both were my wife's grandfather's, but in great condition. One is a Dunlop True-Tech Chipping Wedge and the other is a Cougar Customized Chipper. I often use my 18* hybrid for chipping or my 54* wedge if up-and-over is needed, but I'm gonna give these misfits a try. Cheers, RexS!

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

I looked at it a long time ago, but heard they are not legal. Otherwise I would have pulled the trigger. Today I use my PW, and it works well for me, so until/unless I get the yips I'm sticking with it.

Chippers are legal unless they have a putter grip or two faces.  They also have to be a similar length to other clubs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived