On the fence about lessons? My experience here.

This is great. Thank You.

Been there in the valley and the Coachella Valley before it and know exactly what your talking about from the courses to the game.

I was the overswing king.

Its nice to see teaching is going this way, or that real results are found in short order more and more for people.

Early in the post you said he "assured" you "that all of my fixes would be "easy".

Bingo!

Sounds like you got a good one.

Best of luck and best wishes.

• Like 1

Great post!

Is there a plan to play another 9 after your final lesson?

Not that I'm aware of. I suppose I could request it since technically each four pack is supposed to have one of those sessions, but I think that the purpose of that was to see my game in action since range golf and course golf can sometimes be two very different beasts.

I am wondering if I'm being treated differently since I've been golfing for so long. He mentioned several times that he was giving me more to work on that he usually does since I had been playing for so long and could make solid contact with the ball every time before coming to him.

Maybe that's BS, I don't know, at first it was very overwhelming, but now I appreciate it as fortunately I have the time to get out to the range a lot and work on things in between sessions.

• Like 1

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Not that I'm aware of. I suppose I could request it since technically each four pack is supposed to have one of those sessions, but I think that the purpose of that was to see my game in action since range golf and course golf can sometimes be two very different beasts.

I am wondering if I'm being treated differently since I've been golfing for so long. He mentioned several times that he was giving me more to work on that he usually does since I had been playing for so long and could make solid contact with the ball every time before coming to him.

Maybe that's BS, I don't know, at first it was very overwhelming, but now I appreciate it as fortunately I have the time to get out to the range a lot and work on things in between sessions.

It'd be interesting to see the before/after contrast on the course.  Especially since you considered your short game as being the best part of your game.  Now maybe your irons and shots off the tee will be the best part?

Good luck and enjoy the journey.... sounds like a lot of fun!

• Like 1

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

I have played a few rounds with the new swing, but not since it really "clicked". Now that I have the driver working again I'm anxious to see what that translates into score wise.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out this week and play 18.

• Like 1

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Great story!  Keep us posted on your lessons and the change it's made to your game.  Good luck!!

I went through the same thing about 10 years ago.  I went to a golf school to learn the single plane swing.  Totally immersed for a week.  I had tried lessons at home, and they got me started, but getting away from home is the best and quickest way to make a major change.  Even the slightest change feels awkward because of muscle memory.  My instructor didn't care where the ball went, just that I was hitting the correct positions.  The problem is that I cared!  I wanted to hit a decent shot; it's ego.  So what happened was I would drift back to old habits because I wanted to hit a decent shot.  However, if a person is not willing to invest in the process, accept that the change will take time, and not worry about the results from shot-to-shot, the new swing change will never feel normal and you've wasted your money.  My instructor said that you cannot fix a bad habit; you have to replace the bad habit with a new, better habit.  

Ten years later most of my old bad habits are gone, and I don't hit the ball into the next fairway (well, mostly I don't).  I have been back a few times for shorter schools for refreshers.  I think I hit the correct positions pretty well, and compared to the first school, I do.  But each time the instructor points out flaws that I need to fix.  My latest change has been my wrist position at the top of my backswing on my lead hand.  I have been cupping it and that has led to inconsistent contact and weak shots.  Since I have been focusing on that wrist position, my distance has improved but my wrist is sore.  Hopefully, the pain will subside once that position becomes engrained.  At my age, if that is the only new pain I have this year, I will be happy!

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got my first lesson this year and although I know exactly how to properly swing a golf club it was nice to have someone watch me and point out some things. My biggest issue is getting quick in the downswing but I don't always know when I do it.

• Like 2

Taylormade M1

Titleist 816 H1

Titleist 916 AP1 4-GW

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges

64 Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedge

Ping Ketsch mid putter

Titleist deluxe cart bag

TecTecTec range finder

CaddyTek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart

Country Club Elite® Hitting Strip 10"x30"

Rukket Haack Golf Net By SEC Coach Chris Haack 10 X 7ft

I enjoyed the read, thanks for sharing. I was intrigued by your starting the sessions with a 9 hole eval, I thought that was great.

Did he ask you what your goals were? I've had 3 regular teachers in my golfing two of them started with that question because the answer would shape their instruction. As the first guy said if my goal was to play on the Champions Tour I had a lot more work to do than if it was to get from a 5 to a 3. (He got me from a 5 to a 3 and the next guy, after I moved to FL, got me from a 3 to a 2). The current guy, whom I really like, is helping me hold on as long as possible in the mid single digit range.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I enjoyed the read, thanks for sharing. I was intrigued by your starting the sessions with a 9 hole eval, I thought that was great.

Did he ask you what your goals were? I've had 3 regular teachers in my golfing two of them started with that question because the answer would shape their instruction. As the first guy said if my goal was to play on the Champions Tour I had a lot more work to do than if it was to get from a 5 to a 3. (He got me from a 5 to a 3 and the next guy, after I moved to FL, got me from a 3 to a 2). The current guy, whom I really like, is helping me hold on as long as possible in the mid single digit range.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes, he wanted to know why I was talking lessons and what my goals were with my game. I told him that I needed to improve off the tee big time and develop a more repeatable swing.
  • Like 1

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Yeah, interesting read .. thanks for taking the time to put it all out there.

Question:

Is the instructor you ended up with the pro at your club?

If not, how did you find and evaluate him?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Awesome post!!! I stated in another thread that swallowing my pride and getting lessons was the greatest thing ever.

I always thought that I never moved my lower body and turns out that was the majority of my problem, too much lower body movement (see swaying). Now I am much tighter and hitting the ball much much better. As Crossfield says strike is king.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Great post and read! Very interesting to see the changes and how committed you had to be to get them to stick!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Yeah, interesting read .. thanks for taking the time to put it all out there.

Question:

Is the instructor you ended up with the pro at your club?

If not, how did you find and evaluate him?

I read a bunch about different golf instructors throughout the valley. In fact there are so many I actually had decision paralysis for a few days. As luck would have it, the club I play at most of the time signed up with a new company and they were offering a special on 4 packs of lessons. I decided that since everyone I had read about seemed to be good according to the reviews I could find I would just jump on this as it would be convenient.

Admittedly that wasn't a real scientific method to making a choice, but luckily for me it has worked out quite nicely.

My instructor is not a pro at the club, his company works with three other courses in the valley and he is the one assigned to the course I play at.

• Like 1

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I read a bunch about different golf instructors throughout the valley. In fact there are so many I actually had decision paralysis for a few days. As luck would have it, the club I play at most of the time signed up with a new company and they were offering a special on 4 packs of lessons. I decided that since everyone I had read about seemed to be good according to the reviews I could find I would just jump on this as it would be convenient.

Admittedly that wasn't a real scientific method to making a choice, but luckily for me it has worked out quite nicely.

My instructor is not a pro at the club, his company works with three other courses in the valley and he is the one assigned to the course I play at.

Sounds good! Thanks for that.

Trying to do a little research but not finding a lot of good - independent - info around here. Seems like the top instructors are the pros at the best (read: most expensive) private clubs. Will keep searching....

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Sounds good! Thanks for that.

Trying to do a little research but not finding a lot of good - independent - info around here. Seems like the top instructors are the pros at the best (read: most expensive) private clubs. Will keep searching....

I don't know what you consider expensive. Most of the stuff here in the valley of the sun equals 70 to 125 bucks an hour depending on who you go to and how awesome they claim to be!

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I don't know what you consider expensive. Most of the stuff here in the valley of the sun equals 70 to 125 bucks an hour depending on who you go to and how awesome they claim to be!

Oh, I meant to join a private club around here.... $125 - $150 seems to be the hourly rate here, which is ok if I could find the right instructor (on one of the public tracks) for me.......

• 2 weeks later...

Original post updated with my last two lesson notes and overall impression.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Great follow-up! And good narrative, too.

Best of luck with all of your new skills .. hope you put them all to good use and continue to improve [emoji106]

• 1 month later...