TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ole Gray Invitational Golf Outing

ole gray

It's too early to commit, but I'd really love to revisit that area and Fall might actually be a possibility.

When I lived in Georgia (Colbert, near Athens) I hadn't taken up golf, so I've never played any courses there.

I don't know how long you've lived in that area, but if you remember the "Pickin Parlor," I used to play there a lot in the late 80's with a band called "Bluestreak." ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It's too early to commit, but I'd really love to revisit that area and Fall might actually be a possibility.

When I lived in Georgia (Colbert, near Athens) I hadn't taken up golf, so I've never played any courses there.

I don't know how long you've lived in that area, but if you remember the "Pickin Parlor," I used to play there a lot in the late 80's with a band called "Bluestreak." ;)

Awesome and hopefully you can make it happen!

I live in Watkinsville which is close to Athens. I haven't been in a honky tonk in several years so Nope I haven't been in the Picken Parlor. Sounds like a really cool place so maybe KellyBo and I can check er out

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Awesome and hopefully you can make it happen!

I live in Watkinsville which is close to Athens. I haven't been in a honky tonk in several years so Nope I haven't been in the Picken Parlor. Sounds like a really cool place so maybe KellyBo and I can check er out

My old guitar player contacted me a few months ago and it looks like the Pickin' Parlor went out of business a while back.  Just another memory from "the day," now.

If you live near Athens, maybe you remember the Night Owl Lounge?  I played there with a LOT of different folks in my younger days - lol  One group (PowerPlay) still plays in that area, with at least one or two of the guys I used work with (membership varies, from time to time).

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Hell partner when I was out clubbing I lived in middle Georgia around Macon & Gray...

Cleveland

Hell partner when I was out clubbing I lived in middle Georgia around Macon & Gray...

These days, I'm usually out of a club before the band gets warmed up - lol

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Are you "getting the band back together"?    :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

nNxqHBL.gif

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Are you "getting the band back together"? :D

Are you "getting the band back together"? :D

nNxqHBL.gif
Ha! Love that movie! But I think you got the wrong line...

Jake: "What kind of music do you have here?"

Lady behind the bar: " Oh we have BOTH kinds - Country AND Western!"

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Ha! Love that movie! But I think you got the wrong line...

Jake: "What kind of music do you have here?"

I couldn't use that line again... I used it last week to Ole Gray.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Those days are LONG gone, my friend - lol  

But I did play some joints that had chicken wire covering the front of the band stand ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Those days are LONG gone, my friend - lol  

But I did play some joints that had chicken wire covering the front of the band stand ;)

OK, here's one for you...

Several years ago, my wife moved here from Spokane, WA for work.  She usually went home (about 150 miles) every weekend because she had her mom, 5 older brothers and an older sister living there, but she skipped a week.  The next weekend when she went, she and her sister went out for lunch at one of the local dives.  Over the bar was a sign the read:  "No more that 2 [insert her last name] here at a time."

The weekend she missed, her sister and her band were playing on stage (her sister had an all female rock band that toured Canada called "Betty Rocker").  Her brothers were there in the crowd, and one brother was dancing with his daughter.  Apparently they bumped into another couple, and that guy turned and took a swing at her brother.  He ducked and the guy hit his daughter.  The daughter jumped at the guy's back and was beating the crap out of him.  A big brawl ensued, and her sister's band kept playing.  They all got out of there before the cops showed us.  My wife tells this story because she wasn't there and missed the fun.  Did I mention that my wife's family is Irish??

Several years ago, my wife moved here from Spokane, WA for work. She usually went home (about 150 miles) every weekend because she had her mom, 5 older brothers and an older sister living there, but she skipped a week. The next weekend when she went, she and her sister went out for lunch at one of the local dives. Over the bar was a sign the read: "No more that 2 [insert her last name] here at a time."

The weekend she missed, her sister and her band were playing on stage (her sister had an all female rock band that toured Canada called "Betty Rocker"). Her brothers were there in the crowd, and one brother was dancing with his daughter. Apparently they bumped into another couple, and that guy turned and took a swing at her brother. He ducked and the guy hit his daughter. The daughter jumped at the guy's back and was beating the crap out of him. A big brawl ensued, and her sister's band kept playing. They all got out of there before the cops showed us. My wife tells this story because she wasn't there and missed the fun. Did I mention that my wife's family is Irish??

That is *AWESOME*!!!!!!

So that scene from Blues Brothers was based on her life ;)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

That is *AWESOME*!!!!!!

So that scene from Blues Brothers was based on her life ;)

Maybe parts of it; she's catholic!  Her whole family is musical; her mother went to Julliard; opera.  Everyone except her father played an instrument, but my wife was never interested in country or western, until just recently.  The family was into rock and blues.  

Several years ago, my wife moved here from Spokane, WA for work.  She usually went home (about 150 miles) every weekend because she had her mom, 5 older brothers and an older sister living there, but she skipped a week.  The next weekend when she went, she and her sister went out for lunch at one of the local dives.  Over the bar was a sign the read:  "No more that 2 [insert her last name] here at a time."

The weekend she missed, her sister and her band were playing on stage (her sister had an all female rock band that toured Canada called "Betty Rocker").  Her brothers were there in the crowd, and one brother was dancing with his daughter.  Apparently they bumped into another couple, and that guy turned and took a swing at her brother.  He ducked and the guy hit his daughter.  The daughter jumped at the guy's back and was beating the crap out of him.  A big brawl ensued, and her sister's band kept playing.  They all got out of there before the cops showed us.  My wife tells this story because she wasn't there and missed the fun.  Did I mention that my wife's family is Irish??

Is the sign still up? ;)

Was that before, or after, a regular "ending of the third set rumble?"

Had a few gigs where "brawl-break" was pretty much SOP.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The only thing that does not fit with ones idea of resort is the rooms, they are more like a 1980s Holiday Inn room.  They are plenty big and the views are great, the beds are comfy and the rooms are clean so I can't imagine anyone  having a problem with the rooms, but to me they are in need of remodeling.  I am saying this about the rooms so no one would be disappointed with their room.

I've played golf many places where the lodging wasn't 5-star. And besides, I'm not much of a 5-star man anyway. Been there done that. 3-star lodging doesn't bother me either if the golf is really good.  Good golf - clean rooms and I'm not complaining. I don't spend my time in a room anyway except to S,S & S.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've played golf many places where the lodging wasn't 5-star. And besides, I'm not much of a 5-star man anyway. Been there done that. 3-star lodging doesn't bother me either if the golf is really good. Good golf - clean rooms and I'm not complaining. I don't spend my time in a room anyway except to S,S & S.

I'm pretty sure you will be ok with these rooms. Like you said we'll be outside most of the time so it's all good.

I'll be posting the dates before long however still working on some small details ...

Cleveland

OK... My wife wants to know if this is going to be Ladies Included or G.O.L.F. (Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden)..?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

OK... My wife wants to know if this is going to be Ladies Included or G.O.L.F. (Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden)..?

My wife who is also a golfer would not like it if I didn't allow her to come.. :D  Of course it's cool if anyone's wife or girl friend wants to attend and play golf. If a spouse or significant other does not golf then there will be other wives in attendance to pal around with.

Cleveland

My wife who is also a golfer would not like it if I didn't allow her to come.. :D Of course it's cool if anyone's wife or girl friend wants to attend and play golf. If a spouse or significant other does not golf then there will be other wives in attendance to pal around with.

Sounds great, thx. Ultimately she may not be able to make it - she's a first grade teacher and Fall is a really busy time for her - but we're always talking about taking golf trips to new places, so we'll see.....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I've played golf many places where the lodging wasn't 5-star. And besides, I'm not much of a 5-star man anyway. Been there done that. 3-star lodging doesn't bother me either if the golf is really good.  Good golf - clean rooms and I'm not complaining. I don't spend my time in a room anyway except to S,S & S.

Clean room, firm bed, soft pillows & I'm good when I travel.

Now that I'm retired, there's no need to spend extra money on amenities I don't need.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The 3 bedroom condo's might be the way to go if some others are interested too possibly. I'd love to make this work. I cant make any decisions on anything for the summer/fall until my 2nd kid is born. Not sure how much time off and such I'll have. I'd love to make it if I could though.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Sorry however due to unforseen circumstances, I will not be having an invitational in 2017. Moderator please lock this thread down.

Cleveland

Oh.... :(

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Sorry however due to unforseen circumstances, I will not be having an invitational in 2017. Moderator please lock this thread down.

Sorry to hear this.  Hope all is well, on your end.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Hope Everything is OK..

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I owe the forum an explanation as to my decision to withdraw my Invitational. I've had private conversations with a few folks asking if all was well with me.  I do have some ongoing joint pain issues however I can't use that as the primary reason to pull the plug. I'm getting old and hell I'll always have aches and pains to deal with. Some days are better than others however I hurt pretty much all the time. If you're 60 + years old and don't have aches and pain to deal with, you're superman. Sooooooo I'm not going to play the my knee, hip, or whatever hurts all the time card.

Last year I put on an outing for Golfer's World at Kingwood Resort. When I opened the thread there were a ton of folks excited and interested in signing up. I called the resort and started the ball rolling. I was convinced this was going to be a huge success.  I requested enough rooms blocked/reserved to handle 10 foursomes (40) golfers.  There was lot's of excitement and conversation about the event and I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing. Well the closer it got to the outing I found more and more folks dropping out. All of them had good reasons as golf outings do not trump life happenings. With that said everytime someone dropped out, I had to call or email the resort to rearange room pairings, player pairings, diner reservations, etc. You get the drill and after a few times of doing this, I was going bonkers. As it turns out the total count came down to seven golfers.  Seven golfers which included myself, my wife, her two brothers, DawgDaddy & his two friends.  Only three members of the forum were in attendence.  Three members and only DawgDaddy and myself were active members as my wife KellyBo was a token member at best.

My wife saw the stressful look on my face and she asked me to promise her that I would never coordinate another outing. Well guess what?  I was telling her about what I was planning for an MGS outing and she said, oh noooooooooooo!  "You promised not to try this again".....

Anyways my goal this year was to bring some of our MGS communtiy together for a meet and greet and golfing good time. My intentions were good and although I was going to try this type thing one more time, my wife brought me back to reality.

If MGS ever decides to have an official outing, I will be 100% on board with it. In fact I would be at the head of the line signing up to attend. I hope it happens.

Cleveland

Totally understand. And anyone that organizes outings will understand. Fingers crossed an official gathering does take place this year near us.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Archived