TESTERS WANTED! ×

NEW! Ping Eye 2 Wedges

GolfSpy_X

They must have gotten so much press earlier this year for these wedges they decided to give it a go. I'm not a Ping guy, and this sort of reinforces it, but I can see why they would bring these back.

Uh, no! ;), I'll stick with my anser forged thanks, lol

Titleist 909Dcomp 10.5º Aldila Voodoo svs6, 44" | Titleist 909F3 15º 18º | Ping Anser Forged, 3 - pw | Ping Tour W 54º 60º | SC Studio Select Newport 33" | Titleist ProV1x

Uh, no! ;), I'll stick with my anser forged thanks, lol

Its just the wedges...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Its a great idea. I really can't stand the look of the old Pings, but the people that play them love them and woudln't part with them for anything, I'm sure those guys would love to have an updated version of thier old faithful.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

if they have the same grooves as the ones that caused such a stir on tour earlier this year they will sell like hotcakes...but then again they wont be able to produce those grooves for much longer, so these seem a bit unnecessary to me...not to sure where ping is goin with these...?!?

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

I actually Like the look of those over the tour w wedges that PING has out.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

They must have gotten so much press earlier this year for these wedges they decided to give it a go. I'm not a Ping guy, and this sort of reinforces it, but I can see why they would bring these back.

I had a bit of difficulty with the look of the Eye 2 in the beginning also. However, performance has a way of overcoming much. I simply could not ignore the ease with which I was able to strike the ball, get it up and going forward. Most important, I found my slice disappeared. At that point I sort of lost interest in looking at other clubs, for a very long time at any rate.

I've rarely had a real need for the L wedge so mine is essentially unused. The rest of the set shows more extensive battle scars. Strange thing is that they still don't look all that good to my eye but I look at them lovingly.

Shambles

Its just the wedges...

yea sorry, meant my tour W's, lol

Titleist 909Dcomp 10.5º Aldila Voodoo svs6, 44" | Titleist 909F3 15º 18º | Ping Anser Forged, 3 - pw | Ping Tour W 54º 60º | SC Studio Select Newport 33" | Titleist ProV1x

They are nice, but without the old grooves, they are just wedges.

I think Ping stopped making those original grooves back in the Nineties, immediately after they won the out of court settlement. The + versions had the grooves a very very tiny bit smaller. Recent grooves were closer to the early Pings that produced hair balls. A little refinement of those recent grooves reduced the tendency to create hair balls to just scuffing the covers. The Eye 2 solution to the same problem was to round out the edges of the square grooves, which solved the ball consumption problem but gave a less aggressive groove.

I doubt the old Eye 2's could spin the ball as easily as the recent grooves but it's hard for me to go by more than a memory. I'm pretty sure that after all the years of use, my set is a bit worn and possibly tired.

Shambles

For me, with the Eye2 wedges it is not just about the grooves. The sole configuration, if it is the same, is just magical compared to many wedge offerings today. Just awesome out of the sand, and the right amount of bounce off of tight lies (as long as it isn't hardpan). I will be buying at least the SW.

Jesus. I can't believe Ping finally did it. The Ping faithful have been begging them to resurrect the Eye2 for years. Mark my word - Ping will make a mint on these.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

For me, with the Eye2 wedges it is not just about the grooves. The sole configuration, if it is the same, is just magical compared to many wedge offerings today. Just awesome out of the sand, and the right amount of bounce off of tight lies (as long as it isn't hardpan). I will be buying at least the SW.

The Eye2s had a grind that was pretty much advanced to other wedge grinds offered at the time. It was just that the grooves became a bigger focus because of the lawsuit.

• 1 month later...

Why brushed chrome ? Are those forged ? The stainless was terrific. I haven't really worn my set out yet.

Shambles

If it's Ping, most likely stainless. However, blind tests done by club designers (most notably, Ralph Maltby) have proven that only a very small percentage can tell the difference between stainless and forged irons/wedges. If the word "forged" is on the club (or are told so), people are going to automatically think they feel a difference. People can take offense to that if they want, but science doesn't lie.

If it's Ping, most likely stainless. However, blind tests done by club designers (most notably, Ralph Maltby) have proven that only a very small percentage can tell the difference between stainless and forged irons/wedges. If the word "forged" is on the club (or are told so), people are going to automatically think they feel a difference. People can take offense to that if they want, but science doesn't lie.

The power of suggestion is a wonderful thing. It's similarly remarkable how 9/10 golfers can tell me after 2 swings that the (fill in name brand OEM) club feels WAAAYY better than the (fill in name of "lesser" brand) club, even if both shots were shanks. I wish I had great hands like that.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have a noted an "error" or "misconception" in some of these postings regarding Cast, forged and stainless steel.

All steel whether it be stainless or not is CAST first. Stainless is just an alloy containing certain metals that impart a corrosion resistant , not free, quality

Stainless does not mean forged.

Then it is pressed, rolled, beaten by a forging process.

Cast club heads are metal poured into a mould and then processed by heat treating, finishing etc etc, this is the easier manufacturing method.

Forged heads are cast metal that is then pressed etc to change the grain structure and make it harder and more durable.

The only way to tell if a head is cast or forged is to do a hardness test, even then there can be some quite hard cast alloys.

Or take a club head and break it, if the grain structure is "coarse" then it is cast, if the grain structure is "fine" it is forged.

The forging process refines the grain structure to remove slip plains.

I defy anybody to really tell the difference between the two. Finish will not tell you.

A cast head can be bead blasted to give it a hard surface finish, it can be heat treated to do the same, or chemically coated by various methods.

Cast heads are not as adjustable unless made "soft" (a relative term), forged hards can be but there is a limit depending on the "hardness" and alloy type.

A forged head can be inferior to a cast head, all depends on the alloy used.

Well, that should contribute to the debate, and I stand to be corrected.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

Here's a listing of the Rockwell Hardness Scale as it pertains to clubhead material (softest to hardest):

Aluminum: B50-60

Carbon Steel: B60-B70

304 Stainless: B75

Beryllium Copper: B70-80

431 Stainless: C18-25

100% Titanium: C24-28

6-4 Ti: C32-36

14-4 Stainless: C34-38

450 ("super" or "carpenter" steel): C36-40

15-5 Stainless: C36-44

Beta Ti: C40+

Maraging steel: C45-55

(From "Total Clubfitting in the 21st Century", p. 29)

I've said this before, but tests (most notably done by Ralph Maltby) have shown that a great majority of the golfing population cannot tell the difference between forged or cast, stainless or carbon steel clubs. It's an old perception that's been handed down through generations.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus. I can't believe Ping finally did it. The Ping faithful have been begging them to resurrect the Eye2 for years. Mark my word - Ping will make a mint on these.

it's true. they're opening extra bank accounts as we speak. hell, i'll buy one just for sentimental value. after all, it IS a ping wedge

wanna know the secret to satisfying a woman everytime?...................................................................................................................................................who cares

The power of suggestion is a wonderful thing. It's similarly remarkable how 9/10 golfers can tell me after 2 swings that the (fill in name brand OEM) club feels WAAAYY better than the (fill in name of "lesser" brand) club, even if both shots were shanks. I wish I had great hands like that.

I think your foray into the world of golf retail has turned you into a skeptic my friend. B)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Here's a listing of the Rockwell Hardness Scale as it pertains to clubhead material (softest to hardest):

So that is what happened to Rockwell...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived