Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Beginning playing

Hi I'm a beginner as a golfer and using forum sites, I have a question about teeing off that I'm hoping to get help with, I have refrained from using my driver or woods to tee off I have started to use my irons, I can hit the same distance with an iron off the tee as I have tested at the driving range but I also get a lot more control. The question I'm asking is is this legal in competition and is it something that may be frowned upon as I'm not up to scratch on etiquette yet. Also I use a small tee with irons IS THIS OK?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.  We all started out as beginners, so don't worry about it.  We are a forum of avid golfers and love new members.  

You can use any club you want when teeing off.  You can use a tee or not.  Some people even make a small mound out of the turf, and place a ball on it.  When I was a beginner, I could not control woods at all, any of them.  I was a much better iron player.  In my second year of playing I played in my company's 9-hole league after work.  I would typically shoot 60-65.  At the end of the season they had a 3-club tournament.  I picked 5i, 9i, and putter... shot 45, because I could keep it in play.  However, woods are there for a reason.  You need to learn how to play them. 

My advice to all beginners is to play what you want and have fun, but if you truly want to get better and get better quickly, take lessons... lots of them!  I tried to teach myself with books and tips, but all that does is create habits that may be bad, and once engrained they can be hard to get rid of.  It's much better to start off with good fundamentals.

Best of luck and have fun with it!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I know a couple of guys who play with irons only. They can break 90 without problems.

You'll probably have to learn to hit woods if you ever want to reach Par 5 and long Par 4 in regulation.

In the beginning, it's all about hitting it solid. Once you've mastered that, you can start adding weapons to your arsenal.

So like Kenny said, nothing wrong with how you playing. So keep it up if it makes you comfortable.

Hell, some people still can't handle their woods after years of playing :lol:

And of course, welcome!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

These two fellow spies just gave you some great advises. Have fun while your playing and learning and this great game could be your friend for life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Welcome! Kanoito and Kenny B sums it up pretty well. You can even use a putter off the tee box if you want!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

These two fellow spies just gave you some great advises. Have fun while your playing and learning and this great game could be your friend for life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Use "whatever gets you through the night".

A good friend of mine whomI play with every week and is my Member-Member partner for the past 8 years hits a 3 iron off the tee most times to keep it in play vs. the driver. He is a 6.0 index. Most times if he hits driver it hooks OB because he gets aggressive wanting that extra distance.

All this to say use the tools at hand that you feel comfortable with BUT I agree that in order to fully appreciate this wonderful game learn to hit all your woods and hybrids. Nothing like hitting that driver past your playing partners with a smile as you twill the club in your hand and you pick up the tee and smile back at them.

Perfect opportunity to take a Woods lesson and use the spring to gain confidence with them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

And FWIW, for every lesson with irons/wedges I had, it was 3 lessons with the driver/FW. Go figure!

/shrug

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Welcome!  Enjoy the forums, the site, and this great game!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Welcome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

think about it this way - play the hole backwards... and use whatever club that you need to get there that will both keep you in the fairway (this is **very** important for beginning golfers) and get you there in the fewest strokes possible.

So - on a 450 yard par 4 going from the green to the tee box.

1 - putter

2 - wedge for chipping/pitching on

3 - 6/7/8 iron approach

4 - ?? iron tee shot

also - look to get a couple hybrids with the same loft as the irons you tee off with ... try a 24 or 25 degree hybrid - you can get Adams super cheap - they're more forgiving than the long irons and can help you advance the ball a bit further off the tee.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

SuperPrudo - Don't listen to any of these guys around here they're all completely insane. Me too! So, unless you want to lose your mind quit the game now and you'll live a calm and peaceful life.

(just kidding of course) 

Welcome to the game!  :wacko:

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

SuperPrudo - Don't listen to any of these guys around here they're all completely insane. Me too! So, unless you want to lose your mind quit the game now and you'll live a calm and peaceful life.

(just kidding of course) 

Welcome to the game!  :wacko:

LOL good advice PJ!

Hit what you need to hit off the tee and enjoy yourself.   You don't need to worry about playing what the better golfers use so just tee er up and do it your way.....

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Welcome Aboard!

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Thanks for the advice all, as I gain confidence I'll end up using my woods but for now most of the people I'm playing with I'm not falling to far behind when teeing off.

I'm enjoying golf despite loosing many balls. The best part about my local golf course is we don't have water or bunkers but our rough is very thick

Just hang in there - the only way to get better is to keep hitting balls!

When you play with the boys, use clubs you can count on. When you play/practice alone, make yourself work with the clubs and shots that aren't comfortable. You'll be using them all before you know it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Welcome to the forums and feel free to hit us up with any other questions you may have.  Golf is a funny game with a lot of weird rules and etiquette.  Don't ever feel embarrassed about asking a question, we all started out as newbie's and learned along the way. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound goofy but try this- using woods, tee the ball 1/3-2/3 above the clubface. Then do this: hit the ball 100yds. With all your woods/hybrids. Over and over. Remember ball placement. Don't hit it longer, just tee it up somewhat forward and make the ball go 100yds. You should figure something out here, after a session or two, begin to slowly add distance (not power, distance) this should help, if you do it.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Welcome! And you can definitely use whatever you want off the tee. Best advice to get some proper coaching to learn a swing that works best for you! Good luck!

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

Welcome to the game and forum from a fellow beginner. We are glad you joined us! Don't worry about losing golf balls. They make 'em while you sleep.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Archived