Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tee or no tee with irons on a Par 3?

hckymeyer

Do you use a tee on par 3's?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If hitting an iron on a Par 3 do you use a tee?

• Yes
    • No

I've done it both ways and find I'm better off with a tee. I use the short tees and the ball is barely off the ground. I hit much better shots with a tee - maybe it's just psychological now.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always use a tee when permissible because it guarantees a perfect lie.

I read or heard a story about Sam Snead reprimanding a teenage Davis Love III about not using one. Wish I could find a link to that anecdote. Oh, well...take my word for it.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Always use a tee. It is the one time that you can create your own lie and angle so why not take advantage of that?

#arniewould and has been quoted as such...

That said, I think the best answer is both a subjective approach based on each player's impact positions and even then the best approach is situational based on the specifics of the shot you are attempting to hit; high/low/draw/fade. Most of you have probably at some point been exposed to the tip about adjusting tee height with your driver to promote a fade or draw. The same holds true for most of the clubs in tour bag. Placing it on a tee gives you more options but sometimes off the deck is the right call for the situation. Do what inspires confidence and from there keep experimenting.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I'm another one who always uses a tee.  I'm a decent player, but I'm going to significantly decrease the number of fat shots if I tee the ball up a tiny bit.

The study is interesting, done by a pretty good player, and that may be the big difference.  For someone who makes consistently solid contact, the advantage from using a tee would become smaller, or maybe shift the other way.  The wind in the players face during the trial might have helped the ball to launch higher and spin more, and introduced more variability from the wind, the results might have been different with no wind.  

Last, just because Arnie or Jack did something one way doesn't really mean its right.  More and more I'm seeing statistical analyses that show that the "conventional wisdom" isn't always right.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've always gone by the adage, "When you can use a tee, use it!" I don't tee my iron shots very high, maybe just above the level of the "dirt". Curious if the height the ball is teed matters?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Ive always used a tee on par 3 holes. This thread is interesting about teeing off the grass as I hit my hybrids better off the deck than I do off a tee. Not sure why I do however now that I've read this tid bit of info, I'll be dropping my ball on a a couple of the shorter par fours and hitting my 2 hybrid without a tee to see how this works.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Ive always used a tee on par 3 holes. This thread is interesting about teeing off the grass as I hit my hybrids better off the deck than I do off a tee. Not sure why I do however now that I've read this tid bit of info, I'll be dropping my ball on a a couple of the shorter par fours and hitting my 2 hybrid without a tee to see how this works.

Hybrids is what I was thinking as well.  I hit them great off the deck but it seems like off a tee it brings more hook in to play.  I may give it a shot just to see how the trends work out.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Hybrids is what I was thinking as well. I hit them great off the deck but it seems like off a tee it brings more hook in to play. I may give it a shot just to see how the trends work out.

Exactly !

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I always use a tee

In case my swing is not enough efficient, I can expect win more distance

Like others, sometimes with hybrids I do slice or hook but to be honest, the problem does not come from the tee.

It comes from my swing

I always use a tee, someone once said "if it wasn't an advantage they'd let you do it everywhere" I agree with that thought. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Always use a tee.  It is the one time that you can create your own lie and angle so why not take advantage of that?

I absolutely agree. Even if you aren't teeing it very high, it still makes it easier to make pure contact. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I'm a no tee kind of guy. To me it's the same thing as hitting a shot from the middle of the fairway. I get to pick my lie on the tee box and can pick the best placement for my alignment, so ultimately I don't want to change any aspect of impact compared to my usual strike from the ground.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I am not either one all of the time, for me it really depends on the conditions of the course. If possible I also like to think it it just like a 2nd shot in from the fairway. However if I do use one it is very low into the ground, almost like it isn't even there. Just enough to hold the ball.

Sent from my SM-T700 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I only use a tee if the shot is over 180 yards.

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

For me I think it is more of a mental comfort using a tee. I almost know I absolutely will not hit my shot fat. However, with the right data, I can be convinced to play a few rounds with no tee on the par 3's.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I once heard from someone or saw it on TV, the rules are giving you the option to give yourself a perfect lie by using a tee, why would you not take advantage of it? I have used a tee on every par 3 since I heard that.  Cool topic! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Always a tee for me. I'm going to give myself all the advantages I can. Haha.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Depends on the turf. If it's soft then probably no tee. If it's hard or compact then I'll probably use a tee.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I have a "stupid" tee that I use on all par 3's. I call it the stupid tee because it allows me an out for when I shank it in the water/Sand trap/or sail the green. Found it beginning of last year and will scour the tee box to ensure it goes back in my pocket after every shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've just started not using a tee. I'm finding improved focus, and better contact. My tempo feels better for some reason, so while the tee boxes are in great condition I'll keep going with it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

If you are reading this via the app there is a poll attached to this thread.

Saw a very interesting blog over on Flightscope today about using a tee on a par 3.  It's a great read and I'd highly encourage you guys to read it here.

http://flightscope.com/par-3-test-tee-no-tee/

Here's the breakdown of it though.  Should you use a tee with an iron on a par 3?  I'm guessing most of us do and most of us have never really thought about it.  The author, Jon Sherman, questions if there is a benefit.  He finds that for himself he has a wider dispersion when using a tee.  Basically a shot going left on grass will go lefter off a tee and vice versa.  So he did a small sample test using Flightscope to measure the results.  10 shots with a tee and 10 shots without.  He gained less than 2 yards of distance by using a tee, but his shots were 6 yards farther off line when using a tee.

He by no means is saying that nobody should use a tee on a par 3, but it's more just something to think about and also to experiment with proper tee height.  It's definitely go me thinking about my game and there are a couple par 3's on my course with shorter irons where I might start trying this and see what happens.

Thoughts?

So...  Uh... I need another answer:  It depends.

Upon what?

I tee a bull up with my irons, not to gain distance, but to trade distance for loft.

For example, home course, hole #6 is a 165-175 to the middle hole.  The front right is guarded be a slightly elevated bunker, if you are long, your chances of being in the hazard marked woods across a cart path are high. You can safely miss left or right if you land short of the middle.  

An 8i off the deck will usually get to the front, but it puts that bunker into play, and it really isn't a friendly bunker to get out of.  A 7i on the other hand is going to be long, and tend to release more, and that it potentially worse.

The solution ( for me at least ), is a tee. By teeing that shot up by about .25 of a inch, I give up about 5 yards, but get the effective loft between the 7 and 8, but since I'm still trapping down on the ball, the spin increases as well, enough that this ball usually lands softer and stops after a short release.

On the flip side, #8 is a 185 hole that plays a full club longer than it measures, at about 195-200. The problem here is that a 4i tends to release off the back, while a 5i tends to release onto the front half of the green, if I get it there, which is where that tee works against me, so there, no tee, off the deck, and play to my natural miss (a push that will play into a hill and release toward the green).

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

So... Uh... I need another answer: It depends.

Upon what?

I tee a bull up with my irons, not to gain distance, but to trade distance for loft.

For example, home course, hole #6 is a 165-175 to the middle hole. The front right is guarded be a slightly elevated bunker, if you are long, your chances of being in the hazard marked woods across a cart path are high. You can safely miss left or right if you land short of the middle.

An 8i off the deck will usually get to the front, but it puts that bunker into play, and it really isn't a friendly bunker to get out of. A 7i on the other hand is going to be long, and tend to release more, and that it potentially worse.

The solution ( for me at least ), is a tee. By teeing that shot up by about .25 of a inch, I give up about 5 yards, but get the effective loft between the 7 and 8, but since I'm still trapping down on the ball, the spin increases as well, enough that this ball usually lands softer and stops after a short release.

On the flip side, #8 is a 185 hole that plays a full club longer than it measures, at about 195-200. The problem here is that a 4i tends to release off the back, while a 5i tends to release onto the front half of the green, if I get it there, which is where that tee works against me, so there, no tee, off the deck, and play to my natural miss (a push that will play into a hill and release toward the green).

Is it difficult to get the "BULL" on the tee? Is it alive or do you kill it first😂

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived