Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New putter wobbles in takeaway

Vmac78

Hi,

Last night I received my new custom fit Ping Sigma G B60 putter.  I've noticed that the putter head will wobble a bit in my takeaway.   It has been cut down to 32 inches,  my prior Nike Method putter was 35 inches and I had to choke down beyond the grip on it.  Didn't notice any wobble when I was being fitted.  Is this just a matter of getting used to the new club? Could it be too light? Anyone experience this?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Why are you following the putter head on the way back? Most common reason is that the putter style doesn't fit your stroke needs. Many people try to resolve by increasing weight to create stability....which is not the right fix in my opinion

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Could be a lot of things, but my gut says it's weight.

choking down that much creates a counter balanced effect with the old putter.  You don't have any weight above your hands with the new one.  Could also be different head weights, have you checked the specs?

A quick and dirty fix could be to pull the grip and drop a 3" clevis pin into the butt end.  That is an easy way to counterbalance the putter and the put the grip back on and see how it feels.  You can get a clevis pin at just about any hardware store for a couple bucks.

I'd agree with cnosil though, it could also be a fitting issue.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I agree with @cnosil - likely due to the toe hang being different than what your stroke requires.

Was your nike face balanced? I believe the b60 would have a fair amount of toe flow. You might be fighting weight on the toe that you're not used to.

Might also try addressing the ball with the putter off the ground (just barely hovering). That will engage your muscles and eliminate another possible source of the wobble.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So last night I spent about an hour putting and the wobble gradually disappeared.  I think a combo of getting used to the slightly lighter putter and adjusting my grip pressure did the trick.  The Nike putter I had was heaver so I'm hoping it was just a matter of getting a little more comfortable with my new one.  Thanks for the suggestions.

That could be it! Grip pressure should be light - imagine holding an open tube of tooth paste upside down, doing your putting stroke, and not squeezing any of it out...

That could be it! Grip pressure should be light - imagine holding an open tube of tooth paste upside down, doing your putting stroke, and not squeezing any of it out...

I should actually consider this myself, I have a lot of empty tooth paste tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

That's a good one! The one I've subscribed to is holding the club like if it was canary (and not killing it )

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel