TESTERS WANTED! ×

PA Golfers Around York..ish

MDGolfHacker

All:

The best laid plans for a golf outing for my brother who's turning 40 in May has been laid to waist all because he had to recently have a son, ha ha ha...:D  Sooo his wife gave us permission (not kidding about this, LOL) to go do a guys golfing weekend around York where he lives (had planned to go to Williamsburg or further south but with a new infant in the house, those plans quickly got nixed).

Looking for suggestions on playing 36 on Saturday April 1st and 36 on Sunday April 2nd.  Briarwood and Penn National each have 36 holes in the same location and would of made this easy if  we hadn't played them before.  Looking for new tracks that are close to each other to minimize drive time and are within a reasonable distance from York.  Oh and are open without snow on the ground..lol

Of course, my PA, MD, NJ, VA brethren are welcome to fill out our foursome!  He's hovering around a 20-25 HC and I'm a 16.8  but neither of us have touched a club in quite a few months (him more so) so don't expect too much from US :D

Let me know your thoughts!  Thanks in advance.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I hear Compass Pointe has 36 holes pretty Close to each other !!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I hear Compass Pointe has 36 holes pretty Close to each other !!

You know I'd jump on this in a second! :) kinda would be a hard sell though to drive up there, only to drive almost right back home to play 36...not out of the discussion though, ha ha ha ;)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Heritage Hills is nice

Sent from my iPhone using

MyGolfSpy

Thanks for the suggestion! We actually have played that course quite a few times (my brother lives near there) so I was looking at something we haven't played yet. Thinking of one of the following clusters... Flatbush/quail Valley/South hills, in Lancaster - overlook/four seasons/cross gate, or Tanglewood/pilgrims oak. We will only be able to hopefully squeeze in 36 holes per day so I'll need to narrow down the choices. Opinions welcomed.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Royal Manchester is about 20 minutes from Heritage Hills. Springwood is also an option. They're owned by Heritage Hills but the shape is always hit or miss. Not sure how far you want to go past york but Dauphin Highlands is a nice course just outside of Harrisburg.

My top choice would be Royal Manchester. It's in between York and Harrisburg and they just redid all their greens last year. It was in great condition. Only 18 holes though, but it's close enough to the highway where you could get to other ones.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

PAGolfer2017/RXStenter:

I appreciate the feedback.  I pretty much looked at all courses right around York , Harrisburg and Lancaster and as far East as The Links of Gettysburg (gotta love Google Maps - LOL).

I've played Royal Manchester twice in the past few years (I was trying to take advantage of it being part of the Raspberry Golf Trail).  I haven't played it since they re-did the greens though.  We've played Heritage Hills and he has played Springwood quiet a few times so I was opting to choose some courses he wouldn't normally play. I really debated Royal Manchester though until I found out that Briarwood has 36 holes and I wouldn't have to run around to get to another course.

As far as Whitetail and Greencastle, I haven't played either (although I've skied at Whitetail) but will put that on my radar for the future.  What I ended up booking is a Saturday April 1st tee time at Crossgates @ 7:36AM then Four Seasons Golf Course @ 1:32 for two and a tee time on Sunday April 2nd at Briarwood @7:34 on the West course then we'll do the replay rate and do the east course after lunch.   I was actually leaning towards Tanglewood and Pilgrim's Oak for Sunday but I couldn't get their online system to book my tee time and credit card so I gave up and went with Briarwood .I believe the the other twosome spots are open on both days at all three course if anyone wants to join us! 

Again, thanks for all the recommendations!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

• 4 weeks later...

PAGolfer2017/RXStenter:

I appreciate the feedback. I pretty much looked at all courses right around York , Harrisburg and Lancaster and as far East as The Links of Gettysburg (gotta love Google Maps - LOL).

I've played Royal Manchester twice in the past few years (I was trying to take advantage of it being part of the Raspberry Golf Trail). I haven't played it since they re-did the greens though. We've played Heritage Hills and he has played Springwood quiet a few times so I was opting to choose some courses he wouldn't normally play. I really debated Royal Manchester though until I found out that Briarwood has 36 holes and I wouldn't have to run around to get to another course.

As far as Whitetail and Greencastle, I haven't played either (although I've skied at Whitetail) but will put that on my radar for the future. What I ended up booking is a Saturday April 1st tee time at Crossgates @ 7:36AM then Four Seasons Golf Course @ 1:32 for two and a tee time on Sunday April 2nd at Briarwood @7:34 on the West course then we'll do the replay rate and do the east course after lunch. I was actually leaning towards Tanglewood and Pilgrim's Oak for Sunday but I couldn't get their online system to book my tee time and credit card so I gave up and went with Briarwood .I believe the the other twosome spots are open on both days at all three course if anyone wants to join us!

Again, thanks for all the recommendations!

MDGolfHacker

Came across this just skimming through some other threads. How'd you like Briarwood?

Came across this just skimming through some other threads. How'd you like Briarwood?

Funny story about Briarwood.  We pulled into the parking lot of Briarwood, walk into the pro shop and said we were here to check in for our tee time.  The Guy looks at us after we tell him our time and then says, you guys got the wrong Briarwood (the tee sheet was full for the AM and I'm guessing it was with regulars to Briarwood East),  I kind of looked at him and then he says, we needed to check in on the West course  pro shop.  Laughed about it then drove about 1/2 mile down on the road to the right.  Get there and the parking lot has one car in it.  Guy is the Pro-shop attendant, snack bar attendant, cart attendant and starter.  We didn't see anyone until our 5th hole which was kind of cool having the course to ourselves.  Loved the West course but it was cart path only because of the heavy rains two days prior and it just wore on us.  It was cold when we started and never really warmed up during the round.  Didn't play well as there was a lot of rust on the game (even with playing two rounds the prior day).  After we finished, we kind of decided we didn't want to play Briarwood East (just because it was CPO and we were done with that) so we went to lunch and had Sushi somewhere in York.

After Sushi, we decided to go and play Springwood in the afternoon because they had open tee times and they weren't CPO.  Big mistake!  They had torn up part of the course for houses (where I think holes 9 and 10 were) and the re-routing wasn't clear.  In fact, they had rerouted 5-7 I believe and we didn't realize it until we played 8.  We had to drive back to play the real 5 and 6 holes which was literally down a rock covered path (that had a hard left turn which if you didn't make it, you would of fallen into a 70ft deep 200ft wide man made hole they dug out for fill dirt I believe).  The weather by this time warmed up and luckily, not much of the back 9 was affected.  Now we knew why they had so many open tee times, LOL.  We should of played Royal Manchester instead, ha ha ha...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Funny story about Briarwood. We pulled into the parking lot of Briarwood, walk into the pro shop and said we were here to check in for our tee time. The Guy looks at us after we tell him our time and then says, you guys got the wrong Briarwood (the tee sheet was full for the AM and I'm guessing it was with regulars to Briarwood East), I kind of looked at him and then he says, we needed to check in on the West course pro shop. Laughed about it then drove about 1/2 mile down on the road to the right. Get there and the parking lot has one car in it. Guy is the Pro-shop attendant, snack bar attendant, cart attendant and starter. We didn't see anyone until our 5th hole which was kind of cool having the course to ourselves. Loved the West course but it was cart path only because of the heavy rains two days prior and it just wore on us. It was cold when we started and never really warmed up during the round. Didn't play well as there was a lot of rust on the game (even with playing two rounds the prior day). After we finished, we kind of decided we didn't want to play Briarwood East (just because it was CPO and we were done with that) so we went to lunch and had Sushi somewhere in York.

After Sushi, we decided to go and play Springwood in the afternoon because they had open tee times and they weren't CPO. Big mistake! They had torn up part of the course for houses (where I think holes 9 and 10 were) and the re-routing wasn't clear. In fact, they had rerouted 5-7 I believe and we didn't realize it until we played 8. We had to drive back to play the real 5 and 6 holes which was literally down a rock covered path (that had a hard left turn which if you didn't make it, you would of fallen into a 70ft deep 200ft wide man made hole they dug out for fill dirt I believe). The weather by this time warmed up and luckily, not much of the back 9 was affected. Now we knew why they had so many open tee times, LOL. We should of played Royal Manchester instead, ha ha ha...

MDGolfHacker

Royal was in great shape last year when I played. If you ever make it up this way, let me know and we'll get out for a round.

Since you mentioned it I do remember Springwood having portions of it ripped up last year. I liked the layout and they seem to be trying to get it on somewhat of the same level as Heritage Hills but there are other courses in the area that I play and don't get there very often.

I haven't played briarwood east but never west. It's on my list of places to get to this summer though. Sounds like you guys had a good time at least!

Royal was in great shape last year when I played. If you ever make it up this way, let me know and we'll get out for a round.

Since you mentioned it I do remember Springwood having portions of it ripped up last year. I liked the layout and they seem to be trying to get it on somewhat of the same level as Heritage Hills but there are other courses in the area that I play and don't get there very often.

I haven't played briarwood east but never west. It's on my list of places to get to this summer though. Sounds like you guys had a good time at least!

I'm not sure what the plan is for Springwood as I heard they were trying to get it connected to Heritage Hills.  I'll definitely give you a shout out if I head back to Pa to play.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: