Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Dave's Take: The Cigar Minder Cigar Clip (Review)

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Stop Dropping Your Stick!

Cigar Minder - 1.jpg

How many times have you balanced your cigar on something when you go to take your shot, only to find it on the ground when you return? Or better yet, that it has burned some part of your cart, bag, putter grip, and etc. after it decided to go rogue while you were away.

I suppose it's just another on course hazard if you are smoking a cigar, but it's damn irritating. Plus, whenever the cigar hits the grass, I always think that I've now added some awesome fertilizer and deer pee to my smoking experience.

Anyway, I want to share with you something that I came across on Amazon after a failed DIY holder project. Who knew that a powerful neodymium magnet wouldn't stick at all to my aluminum-framed Clicgear. That's right, everyone but me...

So while poking around, I came across the Cigar Minder cigar clip. Price seemed right, and it didn't need magnets to hold so I took a chance. Why not? I've spent less on bottles of fancy beer that ended up getting poured out.

Cigar Minder - 2.jpg

Serious Research Follows

Last weekend, I took the Cigar Minder to the course, fired up a stick, and did some research. Yep, golfing and smoking research. May have been a touch of drinking research there too. I am truly a review triple threat.

The Cigar Minder worked perfectly.

Seriously, the double-hinged design makes it easy to hold the cigar and also easy to hold onto the cart. I hooked it on both my pushcart and my friends riding cart. It clips just about anywhere, and stays on. I didn't test it with full dickmode cart driving, so I don't know if it will survive your 4x4 antics, but really, isn't it time to grow up and be responsible?

Cigar Minder - 4.jpg

Cigar Minder - 3.jpg

The cart holding clip can open and hold the widest of bars, and the cigar holding clip can take reasonable to majestic ring sizes. Both holds are secure. Both clips are easy to open if you need to reposition on your cart, or remove the cigar for smoking.

Best part was, I never dropped the cigar on the ground, and I didn't accidentally set anything on fire. #lifegoals

Cigar Minder - 6.jpg

I actually found it a bit easier just to keep the cigar in the Cigar Minder and then remove the clip from the cart for smoking. Think giant roach clip. Maybe not the most attractive smoking method, but damn easy, and sometimes that's all that matters.

So I'd summarize the Cigar Minder Experience in three takes:

·      It's cheap.

·      It works.

·      It improves the cigar while golfing experience.

Personally, I'd recommend going with one of the bright color choices. That will help prevent you from leaving it in the power cart, or smashing it when you fold your pushcart. If you do forget it, or break it, remember that it was inexpensive.

It's not made of titanium, and you are a big, strong, yet sometimes clumsy beast. The Cigar Minder could go Blackhawk Down on you. Buy another and move on. You've got the funds.

Cigar Minder - 7.jpg

Here's the link to Amazon: LINK

Here's the link to the Cigar Minder site: LINK

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

If I were a cigar puffer I'd have one of those things. Look pretty handy.

I also like how you've attached your GPS to the Clicgear cart.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• SPY VIP

If I were a cigar puffer I'd have one of those things. Look pretty handy.

I also like how you've attached your GPS to the Clicgear cart.

That neo ghost on the elastic strap may be my favorite golf thing from 2016 :)

Volvo Intorqueo

That neo ghost on the elastic strap may be my favorite golf thing from 2016 :)

I use a 6 inch piece of Velcro strapping and loop it through the Ghost holder.  Now I have to buy the Cigar holder instead of using my Cameron Divot tool.  I usually flip it, prongs up and place my cigar there when I am putting.....   thanks for the info

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

I use a 6 inch piece of Velcro strapping and loop it through the Ghost holder.  Now I have to buy the Cigar holder instead of using my Cameron Divot tool.  I usually flip it, prongs up and place my cigar there when I am putting.....   thanks for the info

I've balanced the cigar on all kinds of things, and it still falls into the wet, chemically enhanced grass. This thing works great, and is dirt cheap.

Volvo Intorqueo

This was the best golf product review I've ever read. You had me at "roach clip"

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I have had several of them and they work great. Only problem I have ever had with them is that I have forgotten them on my cart twice. Neither time when I went back to the course was I able to retrieve it. Mine were all black so I like the orange on yours. Should make it more noticeable! I just picked up two more one for me and one for my regular playing partner. Hopefully we can hold onto them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had several of them and they work great. Only problem I have ever had with them is that I have forgotten them on my cart twice. Neither time when I went back to the course was I able to retrieve it. Mine were all black so I like the orange on yours. Should make it more noticeable! I just picked up two more one for me and one for my regular playing partner. Hopefully we can hold onto them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAMMIT.....  I ordered the black one..... hahahahaha

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Any recommendations on a good cheap starter cigar?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

RE:  Cheap starter cigars - I think the mild Connecticut wrapper style are best for golf, easy smoke and won't make your head spin.  My favorites are CT Rocky Patel, and Graycliff G2.  Both are available for less than $4 each at Cigars International.  Hoyo Excaliber Epiocure and 5 Vegas Gold are also similar selection.

For a more expensive excellent cigar - Montecristo and Cohiba are great choices in their mild lines.

Just one note on Cigar Minder - I've had a couple of them and keep them and the spring holding the cigar clip will rust and break over time.  I still get 5 years or so out of them. I've never lost one because I only use it on my push cart and store it in clicgear tray.  I have a couple divot tools that also hold cigars for cart play.  

Dave

Taylor Made Sim Driver and 5 wood

ping G400 3 wood

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal irons 4-G

Callaway Jaws MD wedges 54° and 58°

evnroll ER5 murdered out black putter

• SPY VIP

Just ordered this sampler from JR Cigars. All course enjoyable and quite inexpensive. Love RP, and also put in a vote for Connecticut wrapper.

https://www.jrcigars.com/item/cigar-samplers/rocky-patel-nicaraguan-toro-collection/rpntsmp

This AJ Fernandez is also a current favorite: New World

https://www.jrcigars.com/item/aj-fernandez-cigars/new-world-by-aj-fernandez/navegante-robusto/ajnwr

Volvo Intorqueo

I've used one for years and love it.  I too have left several on carts, but I am quick to replace it.  As for starter smokes?  Go mild at first.  Pick up a sampler and note your favorites.  Look for others with a similar taste profile and you will soon have your go-to sticks.  In time work in some smokes with more strength and body.  You'll be surprised how your tastes will change.   

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

While I have not tried this particular one yet, I am a fan of cigar 'clips' in general when it comes to golfing.

I am partial to the "Stage V Clinger" clip that I came across about 1.5 years ago. It uses magnets to attach itself and the only downside for it that I have come across is that the pushcart I use doesn't have a wide enough strip of metal anywhere on it to accommodate it. 

It does ship with a velcro strap for applications like that but I quickly lost that  :lol:

I may need to give this cigar minder a run! 

• SPY VIP

While I have not tried this particular one yet, I am a fan of cigar 'clips' in general when it comes to golfing.

I am partial to the "Stage V Clinger" clip that I came across about 1.5 years ago. It uses magnets to attach itself and the only downside for it that I have come across is that the pushcart I use doesn't have a wide enough strip of metal anywhere on it to accommodate it. 

It does ship with a velcro strap for applications like that but I quickly lost that  :lol:

I may need to give this cigar minder a run! 

I actually made a cool cigar holder out of PVC and a rare earth magnet for the push cart.  It's all aluminum and thus no place for the magnet, no matter how strong :(

Volvo Intorqueo

• 2 weeks later...

I like my clip, definitely better than balancing it on a tee box marker or bucket of sand. and it really sucks when you pull away in your cart and it goes rolling off the back. My only issue with it is the spring is a little strong for some of the larger ring gauges. You have to be careful removing the cigar so you don't damage the wrapper. I like the "giant roach clip" idea, going to try that next time.

• 4 weeks later...

Stop Dropping Your Stick!

attachicon.gifCigar Minder - 1.jpg

How many times have you balanced your cigar on something when you go to take your shot, only to find it on the ground when you return? Or better yet, that it has burned some part of your cart, bag, putter grip, and etc. after it decided to go rogue while you were away.

I suppose it's just another on course hazard if you are smoking a cigar, but it's damn irritating. Plus, whenever the cigar hits the grass, I always think that I've now added some awesome fertilizer and deer pee to my smoking experience.

Anyway, I want to share with you something that I came across on Amazon after a failed DIY holder project. Who knew that a powerful neodymium magnet wouldn't stick at all to my aluminum-framed Clicgear. That's right, everyone but me...

So while poking around, I came across the Cigar Minder cigar clip. Price seemed right, and it didn't need magnets to hold so I took a chance. Why not? I've spent less on bottles of fancy beer that ended up getting poured out.

attachicon.gifCigar Minder - 2.jpg

Serious Research Follows

Last weekend, I took the Cigar Minder to the course, fired up a stick, and did some research. Yep, golfing and smoking research. May have been a touch of drinking research there too. I am truly a review triple threat.

The Cigar Minder worked perfectly.

Seriously, the double-hinged design makes it easy to hold the cigar and also easy to hold onto the cart. I hooked it on both my pushcart and my friends riding cart. It clips just about anywhere, and stays on. I didn't test it with full dickmode cart driving, so I don't know if it will survive your 4x4 antics, but really, isn't it time to grow up and be responsible?

attachicon.gifCigar Minder - 4.jpg

attachicon.gifCigar Minder - 3.jpg

The cart holding clip can open and hold the widest of bars, and the cigar holding clip can take reasonable to majestic ring sizes. Both holds are secure. Both clips are easy to open if you need to reposition on your cart, or remove the cigar for smoking.

Best part was, I never dropped the cigar on the ground, and I didn't accidentally set anything on fire. #lifegoals

attachicon.gifCigar Minder - 6.jpg

I actually found it a bit easier just to keep the cigar in the Cigar Minder and then remove the clip from the cart for smoking. Think giant roach clip. Maybe not the most attractive smoking method, but damn easy, and sometimes that's all that matters.

So I'd summarize the Cigar Minder Experience in three takes:

· It's cheap.

· It works.

· It improves the cigar while golfing experience.

Personally, I'd recommend going with one of the bright color choices. That will help prevent you from leaving it in the power cart, or smashing it when you fold your pushcart. If you do forget it, or break it, remember that it was inexpensive.

It's not made of titanium, and you are a big, strong, yet sometimes clumsy beast. The Cigar Minder could go Blackhawk Down on you. Buy another and move on. You've got the funds.

attachicon.gifCigar Minder - 7.jpg

Here's the link to Amazon: LINK

Here's the link to the Cigar Minder site: LINK

Is there anything Amazon doesn't have!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2