GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 5,263 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Handicap:me

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

Aaand another ball for you all...

This time a crowdsourced ball company. Looking forward to your thoughts on the concept.

strok header.png

STROK Golf

- Hello from the Chief Founders -

STRŌK is a collaboration of two brothers from the midwest.  Both introduced to golf at a young age and although they have drifted apart in geography their passion for the game has never ceased.  

Tired of being fed products created from out of touch executives sitting in glass towers, they set out to create a collaborative brand.  A company where its products, packaging and brand evolution is a collaboration of its fans.  This statement is the foundation for the company and our movement.

we are #FanFounded.

Fast forward to today.  Our mission has been created, prototypes are complete, our logistics strategy is in place and we are ready to kick some ass.  Now we need your help.  We are launching a KickStarter campaign in May.  Please review our project, ask questions on Facebook and Twitter and if you are like us and want to be part of something with a voice then join the movement, support us on KickStarter and help us become the only golf brand where the fans are the founders.  You too can become part of a #FanFounded company.  This is your opportunity to be part of something awesome.

We realized early on that premium golf balls do not require premium pricing.  We engineered a premium ball, priced it 40% less than the competition, cut out the middle-man and sell direct to you.  Its not rocket science, its common sense.

strok prelux.png

player profile

The PRELUX was engineered for mid to high swing speeds. (75 to 90 mph with a 7 iron).  Players demanding a soft feel on the green, a high spin short game and long distance off the tee, should be playing this ball.

construction

3 piece

Cast Urethane Seamless Cover

Feel: SOFT

Compression: MID (81)

338 dimple design for MID trajectory ball flight

PRELUX is the perfect replacement if any of the following are your go-to ball:

​Titleist Pro V1

Srixon Z-Star

Callaway Chrome Soft

Bridgestone Tour B330 / B330 RX

TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Volvik S3

strok preluxN.png

player profile

The PRELUX.N was engineered for mid to high swing speeds. (75 to 90 mph with a 7 iron).  Players seeking a soft feel around the green and high visibility in the air and on land, this is the ball for you.

construction

​3 piece

Compression: MID (81)

High Visibility Neon

PRELUX.N is the perfect replacement if any of the following are your go-to ball:

​Titleist Pro V1

Srixon Z-Star

Callaway Chrome Soft

Bridgestone Tour B330 / B330 RX

TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Volvik S3

strok preluxPLUS.png

player profile

The PRELUX+ was engineered for high swing speeds. (over 90 mph with a 7 iron).  Advanced players seeking a tour performance ball with mid trajectory ball flight and extreme spin should be playing this ball.

construction

​4 piece

Compression: HIGH (90)

PRELUX+ is the perfect replacement if any of the following are your go-to ball:

​Titleist Pro V1x

Srixon Z-Star XV

Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bridgestone Tour B330S

TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Volvik S4

AS CONSUMERS WE HAVE A VOICE - LETS BE HEARD

Yo #JustPlayBetter

#2 Kkaw1988

Kkaw1988

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Handicap:20

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:12 PM

Huh. Interesting for a kick starter. Not thinking this will actually get going, but they get a clap from me for the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#3 downlowkey

downlowkey

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 802 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Handicap:0.6

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

Interesting concept. I find the matching price points for the 3-piece and 4-piece somewhat curious. Makes me think the 3-piece customers are partly subsidizing some of "retail discount" for the 4-piece customers. But what the heck do I know about manufacturing tour level golf balls?

Additionally, a crowd funded product would seem to check off at least some of the boxes desired in an MGS testing ball that's light on controversy. But again, what the heck do I know?

:taylormade-small:          M1 430 9.5* - Aldila Voodoo SVS6

:cobra-small:         S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S

:nickent-small:           3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG

:adams-small: _Idea MB2 3-PW  - Matrix Program 130 S

:cleveland-small:              588 RTX 2.0 MB  52.10  56.12

:macgregor-small:                  Bobby Grace V-Foil MK5-GT

:bridgestone-small:   B330S

“The most important shot in golf is the next one.” – Ben Hogan

#4 GolfSpy Meyer

GolfSpy Meyer

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,425 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:5.4

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:53 AM

I never thought I'd get to the day where a sub $30 per dozen tour ball was a crowded market.

I really like that they list those groups of competitor / equivalent balls.  Makes it easier to relate to which one is most likely going to work.

I remember Dean Snell saying it was very challenging to get a yellow urethane ball, maybe the process is getting easier?

Driver: :taylormade-small:  SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 15°, 17°, 22°, 25° all Kuro Kage Black 80 HY stiff
Irons: :taylormade-small: Speedblades 6-9 KBS C-Taper S+
Wedges: Scor 45°, 50°, 54° & 58° C-Taper S+
Putter: Evnroll ER5

#5 jlukes

jlukes

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,723 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Handicap:5

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:56 AM

Considering they compare one ball to the B330 and B330 Rx (which are pretty different balls) and their other ball to the Bridgestone B330S, they've already lost me.

In my Sun Mountain 2017 3.5LS

:taylormade-small: 2017 M2 10.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
:taylormade-small: 2017 M2 3HL 16.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0
:mizuno-small: MP18 Fli Hi 3 Iron - Project X LZ 6.0
:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0
:titelist-small:  Vokey SM6 50.12F, 54.14F & 60.08M
5WoCG8Y.jpgER2
:taylormade-small: TP5x

#6 jlukes

jlukes

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,723 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:02 AM

The ball market is turning into the generic drug market. All these random companies are starting to pump out random golf balls (likely based on old patents) without a modicum of R&D of their own put into the product.

I'm sorry, but while I understand the business model, they simply aren't companies that I want to support. Give me a company like Snell or even Vision and I'd support them in a heartbeat, but for these other companies that are essentially throwing a logo onto someone else's design, the only way I'd consider buying their product is if they were significantly cheaper like the Costco ball.

5WoCG8Y.jpgER2

#7 GolfSpy Meyer

GolfSpy Meyer

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,425 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:5.4

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

The ball market is turning into the generic drug market. All these random companies are starting to pump out random golf balls (likely based on old patents) without a modicum of R&D of their own put into the product.

I'm sorry, but while I understand the business model, they simply aren't companies that I want to support. Give me a company like Snell or even Vision and I'd support them in a heartbeat, but for these other companies that are essentially throwing a logo onto someone else's design, the only way I'd consider buying their product is if they were significantly cheaper like the Costco ball.

The Snell MTB is basically my gold standard for the price to performance ratio.  Plus if you order 6 dozen it takes the price down to $26-$27 a dozen.  It would take quite a bit of performance gain to pay more than that for a golf ball.  Or conversely it would have to be much less expensive for the same or close to the same performance.

I have no problem with someone buying a patent and coming out with a less expensive ball without the R&D though.  As long as it's not infringing on anything I'm happy to pay less for any ball that performs.  Increased competition just means the consumer wins.

Driver: :taylormade-small:  SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 15°, 17°, 22°, 25° all Kuro Kage Black 80 HY stiff
Irons: :taylormade-small: Speedblades 6-9 KBS C-Taper S+
Wedges: Scor 45°, 50°, 54° & 58° C-Taper S+
Putter: Evnroll ER5

#8 Kenny B

Kenny B

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,250 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:7.9

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:35 AM

I never thought I'd get to the day where a sub $30 per dozen tour ball was a crowded market.

I really like that they list those groups of competitor / equivalent balls.  Makes it easier to relate to which one is most likely going to work.

I remember Dean Snell saying it was very challenging to get a yellow urethane ball, maybe the process is getting easier?

I do remember Dean Snell saying that a yellow urethane ball was very expensive; I asked about it.  If these are the same price point as the Snell MTB and they are yellow, it casts serious doubt on their quality IMO, as I would trust Dean Snell.

#9 jlukes

jlukes

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,723 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

The Snell MTB is basically my gold standard for the price to performance ratio. Plus if you order 6 dozen it takes the price down to $26-$27 a dozen. It would take quite a bit of performance gain to pay more than that for a golf ball. Or conversely it would have to be much less expensive for the same or close to the same performance.

I have no problem with someone buying a patent and coming out with a less expensive ball without the R&D though. As long as it's not infringing on anything I'm happy to pay less for any ball that performs. Increased competition just means the consumer wins.

Oh I agree I'd get them if they were significantly cheaper, but when I can support Snell for $26 or so a dozen, or buy brand new B330S or Srixon ZTSAR balls on ebay for $25, these generic balls need to be under $20 a dozen for me to even consider them

5WoCG8Y.jpgER2

#10 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,127 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Here's what I think in case you GARA. Which you probably don't.

Like Cut the other day. Anyone seen them back in the Forum answering any questions? Nope. Probably won't. It's a marketing deal that anyone can take a crack at. MBP provided us with an introduction written by the Chief Founders where they claim they Engineered a premium ball. I'm guessing they did not engineer anything. Like you or me could do.... go buy or license a product, package it and market it.

I like the MG Tour C4 ball marketed by MG Golf. It's quite likely that that same ball is marketed by others too. They just call it something else. I could call mine the PJ1.

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#11 Strokgolf

Strokgolf

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:45 AM

My name is Lucas Snyder one of the co-founders of STROK.

I want to thank everyone for participating in the conversation. Each of you raised some great points.

The takeaway for me is that we are not conveying the message correctly. STROK aspires to democratize the business of golf equipment. We will do that by engaging you in the development of future products. At STROK you can participate in everything. What products to bring to market, what performance metrics matter most, even the packaging, hell I'll put your name on if you want. We just want to make product that you will buy.

Yes we are selling balls right now. And yes our balls are being shipped to editors, and bloggers all around for testing. When the test results confirm that our ball performs as well as the balls mentioned and you can't believe it. If after that you can't bring yourself to buy the ball. Buy into the mission, the democratization of golf equipment. It is already happening in beauty products (www.volitionbeauty.com). This is going to change things.

We can change everything. Help us. You ever wonder why balls come in boxes that contain more boxes? Does not fit in you bag very well, certainly is not good for the planet. Think your idea for packaging could if nothing else save some trees? Let the group hear your idea. Are you an engineer who can design an innovative package? Speak up. Are you a manufacturer with excess capacity that can make what the brave visionary, thinks can result in positive change? Let us know.

What I am saying is we want you to join us in developing products you want to support. We want you to be passionate about the products and the brand. We plan to do that by crowd sourcing, ides, talents, skills and abilities.

Thanks again. Let's keep the conversation going.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

#12 Bags

Bags

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:57 AM

Oh I agree I'd get them if they were significantly cheaper, but when I can support Snell for $26 or so a dozen, or buy brand new B330S or Srixon ZTSAR balls on ebay for $25, these generic balls need to be under $20 a dozen for me to even consider them

correct I buy in bulk srixon z star and z star xv like $20-$22 a doz I play yellow

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#13 GolfSpy MBP

GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 5,263 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Handicap:me

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:15 AM

My name is Lucas Snyder one of the co-founders of STROK.

I want to thank everyone for participating in the conversation. Each of you raised some great points.

The takeaway for me is that we are not conveying the message correctly. STROK aspires to democratize the business of golf equipment. We will do that by engaging you in the development of future products. At STROK you can participate in everything. What products to bring to market, what performance metrics matter most, even the packaging, hell I'll put your name on if you want. We just want to make product that you will buy.

Yes we are selling balls right now. And yes our balls are being shipped to editors, and bloggers all around for testing. When the test results confirm that our ball performs as well as the balls mentioned and you can't believe it. If after that you can't bring yourself to buy the ball. Buy into the mission, the democratization of golf equipment. It is already happening in beauty products (www.volitionbeauty.com). This is going to change things.

We can change everything. Help us. You ever wonder why balls come in boxes that contain more boxes? Does not fit in you bag very well, certainly is not good for the planet. Think your idea for packaging could if nothing else save some trees? Let the group hear your idea. Are you an engineer who can design an innovative package? Speak up. Are you a manufacturer with excess capacity that can make what the brave visionary, thinks can result in positive change? Let us know.

What I am saying is we want you to join us in developing products you want to support. We want you to be passionate about the products and the brand. We plan to do that by crowd sourcing, ides, talents, skills and abilities.

Thanks again. Let's keep the conversation going.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Fantastic reply and thanks for joining the forums. Looking forward to interacting with you guys along your journey.
Yo #JustPlayBetter

#14 AH1980MN

AH1980MN

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis burbs, Minnesota

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

Ditto MBP.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

#15 dadivots

dadivots

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

Help us. Packaging. Participate. Etc., Etc.

Plenty of Marketing. We already have plenty of that.

It comes down to price and performance.

Time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      09 Nov
    golfovernight

he best players don't get overwhelmed with mechanical thoughts as they stand over the ball. They pick one feel-based thought and go with it. Steal one of these tour thoughts for some pre-swing clarity.

View All Updates

Our Sponsors