Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

STROK Golf - Fan Founded Balls

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Aaand another ball for you all...

This time a crowdsourced ball company. Looking forward to your thoughts on the concept.

strok header.png

STROK Golf

- Hello from the Chief Founders -

STRÅŒK is a collaboration of two brothers from the midwest.  Both introduced to golf at a young age and although they have drifted apart in geography their passion for the game has never ceased.  

Tired of being fed products created from out of touch executives sitting in glass towers, they set out to create a collaborative brand.  A company where its products, packaging and brand evolution is a collaboration of its fans.  This statement is the foundation for the company and our movement.

we are #FanFounded.

​

Fast forward to today.  Our mission has been created, prototypes are complete, our logistics strategy is in place and we are ready to kick some ass.  Now we need your help.  We are launching a KickStarter campaign in May.  Please review our project, ask questions on Facebook and Twitter and if you are like us and want to be part of something with a voice then join the movement, support us on KickStarter and help us become the only golf brand where the fans are the founders.  You too can become part of a #FanFounded company.  This is your opportunity to be part of something awesome.

We realized early on that premium golf balls do not require premium pricing.  We engineered a premium ball, priced it 40% less than the competition, cut out the middle-man and sell direct to you.  Its not rocket science, its common sense.

strok prelux.png

player profile

The PRELUX was engineered for mid to high swing speeds. (75 to 90 mph with a 7 iron).  Players demanding a soft feel on the green, a high spin short game and long distance off the tee, should be playing this ball.

construction

3 piece

Cast Urethane Seamless Cover

Feel: SOFT

Compression: MID (81)

338 dimple design for MID trajectory ball flight

PRELUX is the perfect replacement if any of the following are your go-to ball:

​Titleist Pro V1

Srixon Z-Star

Callaway Chrome Soft

Bridgestone Tour B330 / B330 RX

TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Volvik S3

strok preluxN.png

player profile

The PRELUX.N was engineered for mid to high swing speeds. (75 to 90 mph with a 7 iron).  Players seeking a soft feel around the green and high visibility in the air and on land, this is the ball for you.

​

construction

​3 piece

Compression: MID (81)

High Visibility Neon

PRELUX.N is the perfect replacement if any of the following are your go-to ball:

​Titleist Pro V1

Srixon Z-Star

Callaway Chrome Soft

Bridgestone Tour B330 / B330 RX

TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Volvik S3

strok preluxPLUS.png

player profile

The PRELUX+ was engineered for high swing speeds. (over 90 mph with a 7 iron).  Advanced players seeking a tour performance ball with mid trajectory ball flight and extreme spin should be playing this ball.

​

construction

​4 piece

Compression: HIGH (90)

PRELUX+ is the perfect replacement if any of the following are your go-to ball:

​Titleist Pro V1x

Srixon Z-Star XV

Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bridgestone Tour B330S

TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Volvik S4

AS CONSUMERS WE HAVE A VOICE - LETS BE HEARD

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting concept. I find the matching price points for the 3-piece and 4-piece somewhat curious. Makes me think the 3-piece customers are partly subsidizing some of "retail discount" for the 4-piece customers. But what the heck do I know about manufacturing tour level golf balls?

Additionally, a crowd funded product would seem to check off at least some of the boxes desired in an MGS testing ball that's light on controversy. But again, what the heck do I know?

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I never thought I'd get to the day where a sub $30 per dozen tour ball was a crowded market.

I really like that they list those groups of competitor / equivalent balls.  Makes it easier to relate to which one is most likely going to work.

I remember Dean Snell saying it was very challenging to get a yellow urethane ball, maybe the process is getting easier?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The ball market is turning into the generic drug market. All these random companies are starting to pump out random golf balls (likely based on old patents) without a modicum of R&D of their own put into the product.

I'm sorry, but while I understand the business model, they simply aren't companies that I want to support. Give me a company like Snell or even Vision and I'd support them in a heartbeat, but for these other companies that are essentially throwing a logo onto someone else's design, the only way I'd consider buying their product is if they were significantly cheaper like the Costco ball.

The ball market is turning into the generic drug market. All these random companies are starting to pump out random golf balls (likely based on old patents) without a modicum of R&D of their own put into the product.

I'm sorry, but while I understand the business model, they simply aren't companies that I want to support. Give me a company like Snell or even Vision and I'd support them in a heartbeat, but for these other companies that are essentially throwing a logo onto someone else's design, the only way I'd consider buying their product is if they were significantly cheaper like the Costco ball.

The Snell MTB is basically my gold standard for the price to performance ratio.  Plus if you order 6 dozen it takes the price down to $26-$27 a dozen.  It would take quite a bit of performance gain to pay more than that for a golf ball.  Or conversely it would have to be much less expensive for the same or close to the same performance.

I have no problem with someone buying a patent and coming out with a less expensive ball without the R&D though.  As long as it's not infringing on anything I'm happy to pay less for any ball that performs.  Increased competition just means the consumer wins.

I never thought I'd get to the day where a sub $30 per dozen tour ball was a crowded market.

I really like that they list those groups of competitor / equivalent balls.  Makes it easier to relate to which one is most likely going to work.

I remember Dean Snell saying it was very challenging to get a yellow urethane ball, maybe the process is getting easier?

I do remember Dean Snell saying that a yellow urethane ball was very expensive; I asked about it.  If these are the same price point as the Snell MTB and they are yellow, it casts serious doubt on their quality IMO, as I would trust Dean Snell.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The Snell MTB is basically my gold standard for the price to performance ratio. Plus if you order 6 dozen it takes the price down to $26-$27 a dozen. It would take quite a bit of performance gain to pay more than that for a golf ball. Or conversely it would have to be much less expensive for the same or close to the same performance.

I have no problem with someone buying a patent and coming out with a less expensive ball without the R&D though. As long as it's not infringing on anything I'm happy to pay less for any ball that performs. Increased competition just means the consumer wins.

Oh I agree I'd get them if they were significantly cheaper, but when I can support Snell for $26 or so a dozen, or buy brand new B330S or Srixon ZTSAR balls on ebay for $25, these generic balls need to be under $20 a dozen for me to even consider them

Here's what I think in case you GARA. Which you probably don't.

Like Cut the other day. Anyone seen them back in the Forum answering any questions? Nope. Probably won't. It's a marketing deal that anyone can take a crack at. MBP provided us with an introduction written by the Chief Founders where they claim they Engineered a premium ball. I'm guessing they did not engineer anything. Like you or me could do.... go buy or license a product, package it and market it.

I like the MG Tour C4 ball marketed by MG Golf. It's quite likely that that same ball is marketed by others too. They just call it something else. I could call mine the PJ1.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My name is Lucas Snyder one of the co-founders of STROK.

I want to thank everyone for participating in the conversation. Each of you raised some great points.

The takeaway for me is that we are not conveying the message correctly. STROK aspires to democratize the business of golf equipment. We will do that by engaging you in the development of future products. At STROK you can participate in everything. What products to bring to market, what performance metrics matter most, even the packaging, hell I'll put your name on if you want. We just want to make product that you will buy.

Yes we are selling balls right now. And yes our balls are being shipped to editors, and bloggers all around for testing. When the test results confirm that our ball performs as well as the balls mentioned and you can't believe it. If after that you can't bring yourself to buy the ball. Buy into the mission, the democratization of golf equipment. It is already happening in beauty products (www.volitionbeauty.com). This is going to change things.

We can change everything. Help us. You ever wonder why balls come in boxes that contain more boxes? Does not fit in you bag very well, certainly is not good for the planet. Think your idea for packaging could if nothing else save some trees? Let the group hear your idea. Are you an engineer who can design an innovative package? Speak up. Are you a manufacturer with excess capacity that can make what the brave visionary, thinks can result in positive change? Let us know.

What I am saying is we want you to join us in developing products you want to support. We want you to be passionate about the products and the brand. We plan to do that by crowd sourcing, ides, talents, skills and abilities.

Thanks again. Let's keep the conversation going.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Oh I agree I'd get them if they were significantly cheaper, but when I can support Snell for $26 or so a dozen, or buy brand new B330S or Srixon ZTSAR balls on ebay for $25, these generic balls need to be under $20 a dozen for me to even consider them

correct I buy in bulk srixon z star and z star xv like $20-$22 a doz I play yellow

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• SPY VIP

My name is Lucas Snyder one of the co-founders of STROK.

I want to thank everyone for participating in the conversation. Each of you raised some great points.

The takeaway for me is that we are not conveying the message correctly. STROK aspires to democratize the business of golf equipment. We will do that by engaging you in the development of future products. At STROK you can participate in everything. What products to bring to market, what performance metrics matter most, even the packaging, hell I'll put your name on if you want. We just want to make product that you will buy.

Yes we are selling balls right now. And yes our balls are being shipped to editors, and bloggers all around for testing. When the test results confirm that our ball performs as well as the balls mentioned and you can't believe it. If after that you can't bring yourself to buy the ball. Buy into the mission, the democratization of golf equipment. It is already happening in beauty products (www.volitionbeauty.com). This is going to change things.

We can change everything. Help us. You ever wonder why balls come in boxes that contain more boxes? Does not fit in you bag very well, certainly is not good for the planet. Think your idea for packaging could if nothing else save some trees? Let the group hear your idea. Are you an engineer who can design an innovative package? Speak up. Are you a manufacturer with excess capacity that can make what the brave visionary, thinks can result in positive change? Let us know.

What I am saying is we want you to join us in developing products you want to support. We want you to be passionate about the products and the brand. We plan to do that by crowd sourcing, ides, talents, skills and abilities.

Thanks again. Let's keep the conversation going.

Fantastic reply and thanks for joining the forums. Looking forward to interacting with you guys along your journey.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Ditto MBP.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I think he's asking for ideas.

We have all (no matter how old) grown up assuming that balls come in 3-packs within a 12-pack.

Because it's always been that way.

Those boxes end up littering your course, and eventually the landfill. (I have yet to see a golf course with a recycling program)

He is asking if you've ever thought about a different way to package balls - a biodegradable sleeve, reusable mesh bag, etc.

I agree that there has to be a better way. I carry a plastic bottle to fill with water at the water station - I believe that courses should stop providing little paper or foam cups (that end up everywhere) and require people to reuse their own bottle. We all have phone apps and gps devices - who needs paper score cards and yardage books?

We have all (no matter how old) grown up assuming that balls come in 3-packs within a 12-pack.

Those boxes end up littering your course, and eventually the landfill. (I have yet to see a golf course with a recycling program)

He is asking if you've ever thought about a different way to package balls - a biodegradable sleeve, reusable mesh bag, etc.

I agree that there has to be a better way. I carry a plastic bottle to fill with water at the water station - I believe that courses should stop providing little paper or foam cups (that end up everywhere) and require people to reuse their own bottle. We all have phone apps and gps devices - who needs paper score cards and yardage books?

Hell, if I'm buying in bulk, I'd be okay with a ziplock bag if it keeps costs down. 

You make a good point aliens -- much about golf is the way it is because that's the way it's always been. Direct-to-consumer sellers have the opportunity to try something different and see if it works because they aren't putting these things on shelves anywhere. 

I will say this about STROK - when I first saw their social media posts and went to their website, they were touting their ball as 40% "cheaper" than the leading brands. I've spent a lifetime in sales and marketing and the word "cheaper" is very negative, leading folks to feel as though something is not as good. I conveyed that to Markus, he understood and made the change to the website - I guess that's what they mean by #FanFounded.  

If nothing else, this sure seems like an interesting experiment. Are they doing any R&D themselves? Almost certainly not, but that doesn't mean the people actually making the balls aren't. I'm anxious to see how this STROK and Cut make out. We had the first wave of direct-to-consumer balls taken out at the kneecaps by the Titleist lawsuit. Vice came out unscathed, and Snell was never involved in that suit - and both remain the gold standard for direct to consumer (Granted, both are unique). Will the next wave make it? As the Zen Master says, "we'll see..."

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Might avoid a "big brother" lawsuit by simply avoiding comparisons.

Focus on the method, the concept, the delivery, the price...

Do what you do, while no one else is doing it, and you have no competition.

I think they need to do away with the swing speed method of choosing a ball. How many golfers know what the swing speed of their 7-iron is? Go with the more generic "How far do you hit your 7-iron?" fitting.

Also, how is both the 81 compression ball and the 90 compression ball both the perfect replacement for a Pro V1?

Aesthetics are another important factor and this ball doesn't have it. I think these ball companies need graphic designers that design for the ball, not for a webpage. A ball is round and a nice cursive, rounded or serif font on the ball looks classic and right. The modern, straight font of Strok is just not pleasing to the eye. To me, this is what sets Vice apart from all the other new ball companies. They have a logo that looks as timeless as Titleist. 3 Up, Snell, MG C4 and many others look cheap.

As for packaging, why not ship in a heavier box, but no inner box or sleeves, just the shipping box? It needs to ship in some sort of box, no need to add bags, plastic tubes or anything else.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I think they need to do away with the swing speed method of choosing a ball. How many golfers know what the swing speed of their 7-iron is? Go with the more generic "How far do you hit your 7-iron?" fitting.

Also, how is both the 81 compression ball and the 90 compression ball both the perfect replacement for a Pro V1?

Aesthetics are another important factor and this ball doesn't have it. I think these ball companies need graphic designers that design for the ball, not for a webpage. A ball is round and a nice cursive, rounded or serif font on the ball looks classic and right. The modern, straight font of Strok is just not pleasing to the eye. To me, this is what sets Vice apart from all the other new ball companies. They have a logo that looks as timeless as Titleist. 3 Up, Snell, MG C4 and many others look cheap.

As for packaging, why not ship in a heavier box, but no inner box or sleeves, just the shipping box? It needs to ship in some sort of box, no need to add bags, plastic tubes or anything else.

Good point about the 7-iron swing speed - who the hell knows their 7-iron swing speed???

As for the logo - eye of the beholder, I guess. I like their logo for no other reason than it IS different and distinctive. Different strokes

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good point about the 7-iron swing speed - who the hell knows their 7-iron swing speed???

As for the logo - eye of the beholder, I guess. I like their logo for no other reason than it IS different and distinctive. Different strokes

Surely you meant "different STROK(s)"

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Surely you meant "different STROK(s)"

AR AR!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I for one like the 7 iron basis for choosing balls, but agree that more folks will relate to distance over clubhead speed. The 7i is arguably more important than the driver, and I'm sure if you polled a random sample, the 7i distance estimate would be far less inflated than driver measurements.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I agree with Dean Snell's advice - start on the green, find balls that you like, and work your way back. By the time you have a driver in hand, it's pretty well decided.

I think all of the 2-piece, 4-piece, low compression, blah blah blah is just marketing hype.

The marketing machine has gotten so far up it's own butt, that Bridgestone's new ad actually tells you that everyone plays a ProV1! According to them, Tiger has strayed from "the herd". But - who really cares what golf ball he isn't playing?

All of the above are what these guys are looking for - ideas on what we want but don't currently have, or what we have but don't need anymore.

This is good group therapy! :)

Didn't the older Taylormade Gel balls come in a plastic reusable tube? Many other uses along with packaging golf balls. Like tennis ball packaging. When you're done with the golf balls use it for ____.

- Da Yooper

is it just me, or are there too many of these now?  seems like that market is getting flooded

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Didn't the older Taylormade Gel balls come in a plastic reusable tube? Many other uses along with packaging golf balls. Like tennis ball packaging. When you're done with the golf balls use it for ____.

I remember the "resealable" Tmag tubes. Am I totally nuts to recall them coming 4 to a pack? I also think they marketed the packaging as a method of preservation akin to a humidor that would give you an edge over the schmucks who stashed their balls in cardboard sleeves. It's all ridiculous but with golf being 80%? mental we're probably all guilty of occasionally grasping at the proffered straws.

Tour level golf ball manufacturing experiments like STROK's automation by association model are inevitable. And I wish them great success; because amateur golfers deserve more parity in tour level balls. It's just another logo without the ridiculous marketing budget/tour staff; fine for some golfers and unfathomably faux pas for others.

Notwithstanding whether STROK eventually manufactures a defect free ball on par or exceeding the standards of current industry mantle holders, even if their XYZ stats end up being 99.4 percent as good, I'd be stoked it's out there at that price point. The real question here; if they do put out a "better" ball, will the STROK leadership remain committed to the idea of easing wallet strain or over the long run will they succumb to the free market profit siren song? Because with a model like this, if they are wildly successful, there should be substantial wiggle room for the price point to drop further. All of this, from automation advances to legal letters offer a fascinating study of the golf industry.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

is it just me, or are there too many of these now?  seems like that market is getting flooded

Too many inexpensive "tour" balls, that's not possible.

Competition will only benefit the consumer... aka us.  

Too many inexpensive "tour" balls, that's not possible.

Competition will only benefit the consumer... aka us.  

I suppose you are right, just seems like a lot in the last year or 2 have come out....they definitely need to get them out and tested though

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Archived