Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

STROK Golf - Fan Founded Balls

The Dansome

Interesting read from my fellow spies and Strok owners. Why not use a recycled brown package with padding. I for one don't need a another golf ball box laying around the house being used to hold something else. I for one love competition, more the merrier. Having so many companies that make balls, is only going to favor the consumer with giving them choices and who knows, this ball may outshine their ball...IMHO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good idea I know Mickey Dees uses recycled paper napkins and sandwich boxes. It may also be a cost reduction fact for the company.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Got it to the pitching green today to get a feel for these.

Some quick observations:

- different level of spin/release between the 3 and predictable

- the + version spins really well

- all 3 feel good and on the soft side

- didn't notice scuffing on light pitches and chips

- roll off putter well

IMG_20170415_151656_901.jpegIMG_20170415_151704_907.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

My name is Lucas Snyder one of the co-founders of STROK.

I want to thank everyone for participating in the conversation. Each of you raised some great points.

The takeaway for me is that we are not conveying the message correctly. STROK aspires to democratize the business of golf equipment. We will do that by engaging you in the development of future products. At STROK you can participate in everything. What products to bring to market, what performance metrics matter most, even the packaging, hell I'll put your name on if you want. We just want to make product that you will buy.

Yes we are selling balls right now. And yes our balls are being shipped to editors, and bloggers all around for testing. When the test results confirm that our ball performs as well as the balls mentioned and you can't believe it. If after that you can't bring yourself to buy the ball. Buy into the mission, the democratization of golf equipment. It is already happening in beauty products (www.volitionbeauty.com). This is going to change things.

We can change everything. Help us. You ever wonder why balls come in boxes that contain more boxes? Does not fit in you bag very well, certainly is not good for the planet. Think your idea for packaging could if nothing else save some trees? Let the group hear your idea. Are you an engineer who can design an innovative package? Speak up. Are you a manufacturer with excess capacity that can make what the brave visionary, thinks can result in positive change? Let us know.

What I am saying is we want you to join us in developing products you want to support. We want you to be passionate about the products and the brand. We plan to do that by crowd sourcing, ides, talents, skills and abilities.

Thanks again. Let's keep the conversation going.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

So sustainability is important to you guys, good to know. Depending on what's cheaper to manufacture, egg carton type material could be a big game changer with how pliable the material is. Vacuum sealed plastic sleeves could work too for minimalist packing materials while still preserving the integrity of the ball. 

"I don't lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word"- General James "Mad Dog" Mattis. USMC

Jmgonet45's Bag

Taylormade M1 8.5 lofted down a quarter turn to 8.25. Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X

Taylormade M2 15 Degree. Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X

Taylormade M1 19 Degree. Motore Speeder 8.3 Tour Spec X. 

Srixon 565 Irons 4-6. KBS C-Taper 130x 1 deg upright ,standard loft

Srixon 765 Irons 7-PW KBS C-Taper 130x 1 deg upright, standard loft

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50-54-60. KBS C-Taper 130x. 1 deg upright, standard loft

Taylormade Rossa Monza Itsy Bitsy Spider, 35 inch.

Got it to the pitching green today to get a feel for these.

Some quick observations:

- different level of spin/release between the 3 and predictable

- the + version spins really well

- all 3 feel good and on the soft side

- didn't notice scuffing on light pitches and chips

- roll off putter well

attachicon.gifIMG_20170415_151656_901attachicon.gifIMG_20170415_151704_907

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Were they clicky at all off the putter? Also were you using a insert putter or milled faced putter? Just curious because all 3 of those factors weigh heavily with me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Not clicky at all

Copper face milled (firmish) Cleveland TFi

I'll second that - not clicky in the least. Used a milled face MacGregor Bobby Grace M5k

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good deal then answered my question. So they should not be clicky off the Rusty Scotty or one of my vintage putters. come to think of It I do not own a insert putter. The only real milled face putter I own is an YES! Dianna. Oops I did forget I do own a TM Rosa Daytona with that AGSI insert. 

G

Always up for trying new balls but its going to be hard to compete with the big dogs.

I think, like most of these direct-to-consumer companies, they're trying to carve out a little niche for themselves.  Jesse Ortiz once told me (how's that for name-dropping! HAA!) that the big golf companies are like the big beer companies - Anheuser-Busch, Coors, Miller - they're going to sell the most stuff by far - but there's plenty of room left for good micro-brews, provided they have a good product and a good story.  Companies like Vice and Snell have seemingly charged out a nice niche for themselves with a good product and a good story to tell. Others have tried and failed badly - how much of a niche do company's like STROK or Cut have to carve out for themselves to be successful? I'd guess it doesn't have to be very big.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good point about the 7-iron swing speed - who the hell knows their 7-iron swing speed???

As for the logo - eye of the beholder, I guess. I like their logo for no other reason than it IS different and distinctive. Different strokes

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think they need to do away with the swing speed method of choosing a ball. How many golfers know what the swing speed of their 7-iron is? Go with the more generic "How far do you hit your 7-iron?" fitting.

Also, how is both the 81 compression ball and the 90 compression ball both the perfect replacement for a Pro V1?

Aesthetics are another important factor and this ball doesn't have it. I think these ball companies need graphic designers that design for the ball, not for a webpage. A ball is round and a nice cursive, rounded or serif font on the ball looks classic and right. The modern, straight font of Strok is just not pleasing to the eye. To me, this is what sets Vice apart from all the other new ball companies. They have a logo that looks as timeless as Titleist. 3 Up, Snell, MG C4 and many others look cheap.

As for packaging, why not ship in a heavier box, but no inner box or sleeves, just the shipping box? It needs to ship in some sort of box, no need to add bags, plastic tubes or anything else.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I would rather do the Dean Snell (and mine for that matter) approach to finding out what ball is for you.

Start from the green back to the tee.  See how it performs in the scoring area first ... don't worry about swing speed anymore. 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

• 1 month later...

Pretty unique. Looks a little like a box of tissues, but definitely unique.

I'm a little confused by your kickstarter. You advertise as your ball being under $30, but your kickstarter pledges say the ball retails for $45

I'm of the opinion that the logo on the ball is too much. Too in your face so to speak. Too distracting. Personally I liked the way the Costco balls looked. I actually thought the logo was classy and understated. I also liked the tiny little numbers they used.

Since packaging is a huge deal for this Stroke ball I'd suggest that Snyder take a look at how MG Golf (MG Tour C4 ball) packages theirs. I've bought and played the Tour C4 a lot and personally find it to be an excellent ball. So much so that I can't tell a difference between the Tour C4 and a PV1 for instance. I can shoot a 75 with either and in any conditions. The MG ball comes packaged in a flimsy thin cardboard (paper) box without sleeves. Just 12 loose balls inside. The box is slightly smaller than a typical dozen comes in due to not having the balls packaged in individual sleeves. I'd have to imagine the MG packaging cost 10-15 cents each. Maybe even less.

Also. Go to MG's website and look at their balls and the associated info on the ball. And... they are only $19.95 dz.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Check out these logo designs we are considering. I'd love to hear your thoughts on theses.

attachicon.gifIMG_2145.JPG

Too dang large man. Tone it way down. Much smaller. Look at Titleist or Kirkland. Use their classy look as your guide. Use a small number also.

I wish I could make an example for you. But you'll get there.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

As we are getting closer to meeting our goal on Kickstarter, I want too take this opportunity to ask the community about how you see big data helping you become a better player.

We see crowdsourcing player guides (think Waze for golf courses) as one way.

Check out how your help is shaping our product here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1393885060/strok-premium-golf-balls-under-30-dozen

Mmmm not sure about your Big Data angle. Perhaps you could elaborate. If you're familiar with what the guys running MGS do they use bigley data for testing golf equipment. I just looked at Waze so I get what they are trying to do for navigating around a big congested city. So, I'm assuming you'd like to make a Waze for golf is that correct? However, aren't there already plenty of GPS and or static map/hole layouts where everything is marked. Golf courses aren't dynamic like traffic. For the most part they say the same all the time unless a redesign or new features are added or removed. Basically, golf courses are static. I don't see what you'd be bringing to the game with a Waze for golf. Probably better stick with your ball for now.

I'm also curious what your plans are if you don't meet your Kickstarter goal by the 24th of June. Have you redesigned the logo for the ball yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 65

Ping G430 Max 3 Wood PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 75

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 75

Ping 3i iCrossover PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 85

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 56/10

Ping Glide 4.0 60/10

Ping Kushin 4 putter

Maxfli Tour & Wilson Triad White Golf Balls

Not surprising since almost all of their backer money came from the 10 people who pledged 1500 too get a Tyson Lamb putter.

They only had $15,449 pledged and $15k was from the 10 people that pledged 1.5k to get the putter

I was wondering why this thread went quiet...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

huh.  Too bad.  Looks like they're not all down and out.  Sounds like a partner is on board - perhaps taking the funding issue off the table.  Interested to see/hear more.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

Have you guys heard anything from them?

Just the update on the KickStarter page

new partner

retooling logo 

etc

Hello Friends, 
 It's day 27 of the "mission" and with your support we have raised over $15K! The bad news is we are $13K short! Through this process we have made some great friends and will be adding a partner to the STRÅŒK family. (Exciting details will be released soon) 

It's with heavy heart, but not discouragement, that we are "pulling the plug" on the Kickstarter campaign. This is not the end of STRÅŒK in fact we are moving forward with even more confidence in our products and are exploring some other product offerings! 

Additionally we are reworking our logo. We gathered some consistent feedback that the logo needed toned down a notch (or several notches to some) and we are working on those revised options now. If you haven't already joined the discussion, please join us on our social media channels and make your vote count! 

Be certain to visit www.strokgolf.com soon for more details on balls and other news. Instagram, Twitter and Facebook are always great ways to keep in touch or feel free to email me anytime. I'd like to hear your thoughts on new product ideas, how we can be better or how/if you'd like to be a part of the STRÅŒK family. 

Keep in touch and until then I will see you on the green!

Sincerely your friend,

Marcus Snyder 

Chief Founder STRÅŒK 

Dallas TX [email protected] 

PS - you will not be charged for any financial contribution you have made.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Archived