#91 BIG STU

BIG STU

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members
  • 3,007 posts
  • LocationGarden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

Interesting read from my fellow spies and Strok owners. Why not use a recycled brown package with padding. I for one don't need a another golf ball box laying around the house being used to hold something else. I for one love competition, more the merrier. Having so many companies that make balls, is only going to favor the consumer with giving them choices and who knows, this ball may outshine their ball...IMHO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good idea I know Mickey Dees uses recycled paper napkins and sandwich boxes. It may also be a cost reduction fact for the company.

Driver Homna G1-X Homna G1X-700 R flex
3 Wood Adams Super S--- Stock Bassara Regular Shaft
5 Wood Adams Super S-- Stock Kurokage Regular

Hybrid-- Old TM Rescue 22* stock TM factory Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron Callaway UTX 24* bent to 22* PXI 6.0

Irons 5 thru PW Callaway 2013 Forged X 5.5 PXI

GW-- Old 252 series Vokey Forged 54 bent to 52 S-300 wedge

SW Cleveland 588 56* S-300 wedge flex

Putter Scotty Cameron Santa Fe nicknamed "Rusty" because it is

Bag: Old school Titleist mini staff or old school 2009 Titleist stand
5 wood will rotate out with a 1999 Hogan forged Apex 2 iron-- Yep a real old school school Hogan

Redneck Hippie Golf Where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stops !

I know my wedges are not conforming but I do not give a hoot because I am retired from competition and could give two hoots less about the USGA or the R&A besides they are wore out and rusty but will still stop a ball!

Founding Father Outlaw Golf Association member #1

#92 GolfSpy MBP

GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Handicap:me

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:50 PM

Got it to the pitching green today to get a feel for these.

Some quick observations:
- different level of spin/release between the 3 and predictable
- the + version spins really well
- all 3 feel good and on the soft side
- didn't notice scuffing on light pitches and chips
- roll off putter well

IMG_20170415_151656_901.jpeg IMG_20170415_151704_907.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app
Yo #JustPlayBetter

#93 Jmgonet45

Jmgonet45

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, Georgia
  • Handicap:10

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

My name is Lucas Snyder one of the co-founders of STROK.

I want to thank everyone for participating in the conversation. Each of you raised some great points.

The takeaway for me is that we are not conveying the message correctly. STROK aspires to democratize the business of golf equipment. We will do that by engaging you in the development of future products. At STROK you can participate in everything. What products to bring to market, what performance metrics matter most, even the packaging, hell I'll put your name on if you want. We just want to make product that you will buy.

Yes we are selling balls right now. And yes our balls are being shipped to editors, and bloggers all around for testing. When the test results confirm that our ball performs as well as the balls mentioned and you can't believe it. If after that you can't bring yourself to buy the ball. Buy into the mission, the democratization of golf equipment. It is already happening in beauty products (www.volitionbeauty.com). This is going to change things.

We can change everything. Help us. You ever wonder why balls come in boxes that contain more boxes? Does not fit in you bag very well, certainly is not good for the planet. Think your idea for packaging could if nothing else save some trees? Let the group hear your idea. Are you an engineer who can design an innovative package? Speak up. Are you a manufacturer with excess capacity that can make what the brave visionary, thinks can result in positive change? Let us know.

What I am saying is we want you to join us in developing products you want to support. We want you to be passionate about the products and the brand. We plan to do that by crowd sourcing, ides, talents, skills and abilities.

Thanks again. Let's keep the conversation going.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

So sustainability is important to you guys, good to know. Depending on what's cheaper to manufacture, egg carton type material could be a big game changer with how pliable the material is. Vacuum sealed plastic sleeves could work too for minimalist packing materials while still preserving the integrity of the ball. 

"I don't lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word"- General James "Mad Dog" Mattis. USMC

Jmgonet45's Bag

Taylormade M1 8.5 lofted down a quarter turn to 8.25. Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X

Taylormade M2 15 Degree. Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X

Taylormade M1 19 Degree. Motore Speeder 8.3 Tour Spec X. 

Srixon 565 Irons 4-6. KBS C-Taper 130x 1 deg upright ,standard loft

Srixon 765 Irons 7-PW KBS C-Taper 130x 1 deg upright, standard loft

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50-54-60. KBS C-Taper 130x. 1 deg upright, standard loft

Taylormade Rossa Monza Itsy Bitsy Spider, 35 inch.

#94 BIG STU

BIG STU

• Members
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:48 PM

Got it to the pitching green today to get a feel for these.

Some quick observations:
- different level of spin/release between the 3 and predictable
- the + version spins really well
- all 3 feel good and on the soft side
- didn't notice scuffing on light pitches and chips
- roll off putter well

attachicon.gifIMG_20170415_151656_901attachicon.gifIMG_20170415_151704_907

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Were they clicky at all off the putter? Also were you using a insert putter or milled faced putter? Just curious because all 3 of those factors weigh heavily with me

5 wood will rotate out with a 1999 Hogan forged Apex 2 iron-- Yep a real old school school Hogan

I know my wedges are not conforming but I do not give a hoot because I am retired from competition and could give two hoots less about the USGA or the R&A besides they are wore out and rusty but will still stop a ball!

#95 GolfSpy MBP

GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Handicap:me

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:28 AM

Were they clicky at all off the putter? Also were you using a insert putter or milled faced putter? Just curious because all 3 of those factors weigh heavily with me

Not clicky at all

Copper face milled (firmish) Cleveland TFi

Yo #JustPlayBetter

#96 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Administrators
  • 6,100 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:35 AM

Not clicky at all

Copper face milled (firmish) Cleveland TFi

I'll second that - not clicky in the least. Used a milled face MacGregor Bobby Grace M5k

fantasy-golf-2016-signature.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex 440, 9.5*, weight forward, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73 shaft, stiff, tipped 1/4";  :srixon-small: Z-565, 9.5*, Miyazaki Kaula shaft, stiff

Mini Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini 1.5, 11*, Kuro Kage 60G shaft, stiff

FW Wood:  :ping-small: G Stretch 3, 13*, PING Alta Shaft, stiff;  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, 14*, Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution II shaft, stiff

Hybrids:  :benhogan-small: VKTR 17 & 21*, Aldila NV 85H shaft, stiff;  :srixon-small: H65, 19*, Miyazaki Kaula hybrid shaft, stiff

Irons:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6, 4-PW, DG AMT, stiff;  :benhogan-small: PTx, 25*-45*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff

Wedges:  :benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15, 49-53-57-61*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff;  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*, DG Wedge flex;
                  :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind, 56-60*, KBS Tour-V Wedge flex

Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#97 BIG STU

BIG STU

• Members
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

Good deal then answered my question. So they should not be clicky off the Rusty Scotty or one of my vintage putters. come to think of It I do not own a insert putter. The only real milled face putter I own is an YES! Dianna. Oops I did forget I do own a TM Rosa Daytona with that AGSI insert. 

#98 RenteriaAJ

RenteriaAJ

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Handicap:3

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Always up for trying new balls but its going to be hard to compete with the big dogs.

#99 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Administrators
  • 6,100 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

Always up for trying new balls but its going to be hard to compete with the big dogs.

I think, like most of these direct-to-consumer companies, they're trying to carve out a little niche for themselves.  Jesse Ortiz once told me (how's that for name-dropping! HAA!) that the big golf companies are like the big beer companies - Anheuser-Busch, Coors, Miller - they're going to sell the most stuff by far - but there's plenty of room left for good micro-brews, provided they have a good product and a good story.  Companies like Vice and Snell have seemingly charged out a nice niche for themselves with a good product and a good story to tell. Others have tried and failed badly - how much of a niche do company's like STROK or Cut have to carve out for themselves to be successful? I'd guess it doesn't have to be very big.

fantasy-golf-2016-signature.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex 440, 9.5*, weight forward, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73 shaft, stiff, tipped 1/4";  :srixon-small: Z-565, 9.5*, Miyazaki Kaula shaft, stiff

Mini Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini 1.5, 11*, Kuro Kage 60G shaft, stiff

FW Wood:  :ping-small: G Stretch 3, 13*, PING Alta Shaft, stiff;  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, 14*, Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution II shaft, stiff

Hybrids:  :benhogan-small: VKTR 17 & 21*, Aldila NV 85H shaft, stiff;  :srixon-small: H65, 19*, Miyazaki Kaula hybrid shaft, stiff

Irons:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6, 4-PW, DG AMT, stiff;  :benhogan-small: PTx, 25*-45*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff

Wedges:  :benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15, 49-53-57-61*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff;  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*, DG Wedge flex;
                  :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind, 56-60*, KBS Tour-V Wedge flex

Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#100 golfinnut

golfinnut

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLeesburg, VA
  • Handicap:8

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Good point about the 7-iron swing speed - who the hell knows their 7-iron swing speed???

As for the logo - eye of the beholder, I guess. I like their logo for no other reason than it IS different and distinctive. Different strokes

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think they need to do away with the swing speed method of choosing a ball. How many golfers know what the swing speed of their 7-iron is? Go with the more generic "How far do you hit your 7-iron?" fitting.

Also, how is both the 81 compression ball and the 90 compression ball both the perfect replacement for a Pro V1?

Aesthetics are another important factor and this ball doesn't have it. I think these ball companies need graphic designers that design for the ball, not for a webpage. A ball is round and a nice cursive, rounded or serif font on the ball looks classic and right. The modern, straight font of Strok is just not pleasing to the eye. To me, this is what sets Vice apart from all the other new ball companies. They have a logo that looks as timeless as Titleist. 3 Up, Snell, MG C4 and many others look cheap.

As for packaging, why not ship in a heavier box, but no inner box or sleeves, just the shipping box? It needs to ship in some sort of box, no need to add bags, plastic tubes or anything else.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I would rather do the Dean Snell (and mine for that matter) approach to finding out what ball is for you.

Start from the green back to the tee.  See how it performs in the scoring area first ... don't worry about swing speed anymore. 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Drivertitelist.jpg 917 D2 9.5* Aldila.pngRogue Max 65g
Fairwaystitelist.jpg 917F2Aldila.png Rogue 13.5* & 915F2 19* Diamana Blue
Ironstitelist.jpg 716 AP2 4-PW projectx.png PXi 5.5
Wedgestitelist.jpg Vokeys SM6 48*, 52*, 56*
Puttertitelist.jpg scotty.jpg Newport 2 
Balltitelist.jpg ProV1X 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      29 Apr
    SeaMoBiscuit

Have played Ping irons for a long time, left the Ping line last year for the Titleist AP 1. Really interested in the new Ping i200. Has anyone enjoyed them yet !!

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors