TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite ball(s) ever

mrsmith123

I love a topic like this because there are so many options. I have three favorite balls ever that I've played (in order of performance):

1. Nike One Platinum 2008 version

2. Titleist Professional 90 version

3. Callaway Rule 35 2001 version

I still look for these on eBay and play them regularly depending on the course. Modern balls just don't spin the same. What do you all think?

Cheers,

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to love the Maxfli balata balls back in high school, but couldn't imagine playing them now.

Top choices for me are the Snell MTB and Taylormade TPx.  Quickly closing the gap at the moment are the Kirkland Signature balls.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Last year I got to test the Nike RZN Black. I love that ball. Then Nike shut it down I am actively searching for as many of those as I can find at a good price. Hit the jackpot a few weeks ago found them at a Nike Outlet/Clearance store for $10.39 a dozen.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Currently I can lay some blame on our very own Golfspy Barbajo for hooking me on the new Bridgestone b330rx, good length and great greenside for me. Second would probably be the Wilson Staff Duo Urethane, I got to be part of the forum test for them and they performed really well too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Nike RZN Black is a great ball.... My career low round, and both tournaments I've won have been with those balls.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Still looking for that ball. I currently use Chrome Softs because I have an abundance of them, but need to test others to see what really works for me.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

The new Srixon Tour ball that I tried on the weekend is very good and I think will be a top ball when it's released, but at the moment, the Snell MTB is my absolute favourite.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Ram Tour Grind, Wilson Smart Core and Nike One Tour D. Those are the three that I used for the longest period of time. They are certainly the ones that I shot the lowest scores with.

I'm a big proponent of finding a ball that works and playing it. It's all about the short game anyway. You can adjust your shot choices around the green to the ball you're playing. Each ball seems to perform a bit differently there so pick one, practice those shots with it and have some fun.

Like Matt I was gifted with a sleeve of QStar tours. I played the last hole with one. The distance and feel were fine. Since I hit the green in regulation I didn't get to see how much it spins around the green.

Nice thread...

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I didn't have the pleasure of playing golf until my late 20's (33 now). In my early days of playing I played many different type of balls not knowing it made any difference. One day I decided I was going to spend a little extra on balls. I decided on the Nike hyperflights per recommendation of a store employee. It made a huge difference in my game. Up to that point I've never hit anything further and accurate. So Nike hyperflights will always have a place in my bag as long as I can find them. But since my confidence in the game has grew along with my playing abilities I've been able to experiment with the higher end balls. I've since found a new love in the srixon z star. All around great ball. Easy to control around greens nice feeling leaving the club face.

Driver: 17' TM M1 9.5*

3wood: Callaway Black Razr X

19* hybrid: Callaway Razr X

4-pw: Callaway Razr X

52*, 56*, 60* Callaway MD3 Milled

Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Ball: Srixon  Z-Star & Chromesoft Truvis

My favorite ball was the Wilson Staff PX3 and I still miss it.  When Staff discontinued the ball, I bought as many as I could get my hands on from eBay, Amazon, WalMart, and several other online retailers.  Once those were used up, it took me two years to find a suitable replacement. 

Back in the day my ball was a Dunlop, because that is what my Grandfather played. I guess in my 30's my ball was the Titleist DT100 because it really performed off the persimmon woods and you could stop it on the green. My next ball was the Wilson Smartcore because it held it's own against the better balls of the time. Then it was the Maxfli U3, tour performance without the price. Now I am struggling between the Wilson Duo U , Snell MTB and Nike RZN Platinum(no longer in production). So that's my take on best balls ever.....as I have been golfing for 58 years.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It wasn't that many years ago that I thought it didn't make any difference which ball I used, so I used whatever I found and was cheap because I usually left them on the course for others to find again.  I did like the Professional 90 when I found them.  After lessons and golf school, I felt like I could play a round of golf without losing a ball, so I started playing ProV1s.  My scores went down!  Who knew?  I am also partial to the Srixon Z-Star, and played that ball until the Snell MTB came around.  Now it's Snell and the Kirkland Signature ball until I run out of them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I truly believe that even if you don't have a fav ball, it's important to use the same ball.

I've been partial to the 'ProV1' feel for quite some time. But, I've become partial to the TM Project a and the MG C4 lately. Srixon Z star is right up there as well.

My all time favorites go in order below.

1.  Nike TW Tour Accuracy.  I played this ball for years, because I bought 15 dozen at a Nike outlet, after they were off the shelf from most sporting good stores.

2.  Strata ML Balata 90.  This is the ball I used when I started getting decent at golf.

3.  Callaway HX Tour

4.  Callaway Chrome +

5.  Titleist Pro V1/X - Bridgestone B330  - Srixon ZStar XV.  These ball are pretty interchangeable and in my current rotation.

When I first started golfing (~2008) my mom gave me a dozen Callaway warbirds she won in some tournament she was in the year before and I loved them. Simple 2-piece ball, but damn those things go far. Also just the right amount of softness around the green. Still using them. Didn't lose many balls last year so I didn't really break out the Hex Warbirds. I've dabbled with other balls. I like the Z-Star and a few others. But as it says on the box: "This bird will fly!"

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hands down for me it is the Titleist Professional 90.  Won a lot using that ball.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Hmm I liked the original Noodle early in my golf life the thing just seemed to stay straight for me, lately I really enjoy the B330RXS and will probably stick with those for a bit unless I find something I like better.

The Nike One Platinum from around 2007

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Top flite Strata, Every time I found one I used it until it was smooth. Then I was using the Top Flite XL 2000. Then I got into the Noodle. I did like the Nike One Tour. Played that for a while, I think I still have a Sleeve or 2 of those somewhere. Played the V1x for a bit. Now a days I am playing the Yellow and Black truvis chrome soft. I recently picked up a sleeve of white chrome soft X balls, played them in out par 3, and I really like them. So I will be replacing the CS with the CSx. If you like the CS but felt like it sounded soft, you should try the CSx it has a little bit harder cover and has a more solid sound, but you still get the good feel.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I used to love those old Balata balls...even though after a couple holes they were either out of round, or looked like you had been playing on pavement.  Nowadays I play the TM project (a), or the Mizuno MP-S.  The Mizuno mainly because its an oddity where I live and I like to be different.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I always tried to play prov1. As life expenses (homeowner, wife, kids, etc) started to increase I looked for a cheaper option. I bought a dozen of Snell MTB and I'm a big fan. Feels nice. Good distance. I also saw an improvement in mid iron spin which really helped me start holding some greens. I'd like to try the Snell Get Sum model soon. It's supposed to be equivalent to NXTs. Has anyone tried them?

Back in the day my ball was a Dunlop, because that is what my Grandfather played. I guess in my 30's my ball was the Titleist DT100 because it really performed off the persimmon woods and you could stop it on the green. My next ball was the Wilson Smartcore because it held it's own against the better balls of the time. Then it was the Maxfli U3, tour performance without the price. Now I am struggling between the Wilson Duo U , Snell MTB and Nike RZN Platinum(no longer in production). So that's my take on best balls ever.....as I have been golfing for 58 years.

I'm with you on the Maxfli U series balls- they seemed to work very well at a low price- and they made many different models to suit different players. Loved the Ksig, though only had one case to play with while my game (and body) were heading south. One ball i really liked at a good price was/is the TopFlite Gamer Tour, which if I'm correct is a Hex Chrome with a different (urethane) cover design. Flies far, goes as straight as you can make it, and has plenty of spin

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Anyone gamed the Vice balls? If so, how do you like them?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Early on, I loved to play balata balls, Titleist or Hogan.  Later on, I played the Spalding Tour Edition, one of the first good-performing solid balls.  I think Greg Norman played them, they spun like crazy.  I remember first time I played ProV1s, and I was in love.  Now, I'm stuck on the Snell MTB.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

First started playing in the early 80's - gamed mostly Pinnacles (they were a premium non-balata ball back then) and something or other from Spalding.

More recently - I liked the Cally Hex Chromes, Wilson Duo Spins and Duo U's. Bridgestone fit me into the B330 and I love that ball.

It's joined in this year's rota by the Snell MTB, the Srixon Z Star and the Srixon Q Star Tour. Gamed that sucker this week and really liked the performance, especially for $29.99/dozen.

And like a few others, I miss the Nike RZN Black - maybe evershady will share

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived