TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - SHOT SCOPE

JBones

My Stage 2 is up!

Of course, shoot any questions you have!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Stage 2 is up!

Of course, shoot any questions you have!

Awesome job dude. Very thorough.

The features on this seem great. Unfortunately this would simply be no Bueno on my skinny arms.

I have even gone from wearing my Bushnell neo x on my wrist to simply putting it on my bag because I just don't like having any sort of device/watch on my arm when playing

Awesome job dude. Very thorough.

The features on this seem great. Unfortunately this would simply be no Bueno on my skinny arms.

I have even gone from wearing my Bushnell neo x on my wrist to simply putting it on my bag because I just don't like having any sort of device/watch on my arm when playing

Thanks, jlukes!

I think the wristband is relatively small, my wrists measure about 21cm circumference and I'm already using the 3rd to last hole on the strap (keeping it loose makes putting on the glove easier). I can't stand wearing leather/metal watches when I play, but I was surprised with the Shot Scope, hardly noticed it when playing. But once summer comes and I start sweating... who knows!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

That's how it's done Kanoito!  Great job!!  Looking forward to hearing what the rest of the team thinks...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Stage Two

Player Biography

The most important parts of my golf game were covered in Part 1, but you are free to shoot any questions you might still have.

I'm an impatient golfer, I hate anything that goes beyond 4.5 hours (in a foursome). I don't even stop to clean my clubs after a shot. I use my rock-hard beer abs to push my Clicgear and clean it while walking to my ball. I only use 2 mins to search for my own ball and will only invest as much time to look for yours. You get the picture. So I'm always willing to try new gadgets as long as they don't interfere with pace of play.

Go big or go home. That's how I like to play my rounds, always going for the shot with the highest risk/reward. Yes, this is totally not how course management should work, but the different challenges keep it fun and interesting for me.

I like to describe myself as a tech-savvy person, which involves soldering broken transistors on a PC motherboard, programming in Java, modifying apps for Android and tinkering with any gadget I'm able to get my hands on.

Why is this relevant? So you can have an idea how easy/difficult something really is based on your technical know-how.

Performance

Product setup

Installation was a breeze (almost idiot-proof). It took about 30 seconds to read the manual as everything was described clearly.

First thing I did was to charge the wristband. I usually try to use the same USB compliant charger for all my devices: phone, tablets, GPS watch, etc. and leave the new ones in their box as this helps to unclutter my desk. When I tried to charge the Shot Scope, the LED wouldn't blink at first. Upon closer examination, I realized my phone charger was too shallow and it wouldn't insert completely due to the rubber cap that protects the charging port when not in use.

attachicon.gifport800.jpg

I then used the USB cable that came with the Shot Scope and it started charging without issues. This is not a problem, but perhaps worth mentioning. As you can see in the photo, this one is much deeper and can bypass the rubber cap obstruction.

attachicon.gifconnector800.jpg

However, I think certain users would appreciate having the USB wall adapter that is not included. For people who do not have this kind of charger (because they don't use a smartphone or whatever reason), their only option would be to charge it using a computer. Yes, modern computers offer a powered USB port that functions even when the PC is off, but if you don't have one of these, then you'll have to turn on your PC and leave it on for 2-3 hours to charge the device. Using a smartphone is optional, as you can also upload your round data to the PC directly.

Shot Scope suggests about 2 hours, I left it overnight. The blue LED's will blink while charging and remain on when the battery is full. In the meantime, I downloaded and installed the mobile app from Google Play.

The tag installation process is pretty straightforward: rotate clockwise with a little downward push. However when I asked my wife to help me install them, she said her hands hurt a little after 2-3 tags. So just a heads-up to our female golfers or gentlemen with delicate hands ;)

Hold the power button for 3 seconds and it will start searching for GPS satellites (5 LED's blinking). Once GPS has been fixed, you'll only see 1 solid LED lit. So it's recommended to turn it on a few minutes before your tee time. I then proceeded to press the Bluetooth button (hold for 3 seconds), turned on Bluetooth and location on my phone, fired up the app and pressed Connect. Voila

attachicon.gifphoneconnect800.jpg

Overall, the set-up was a walk in the park. I'll only deduct 1 point for the missing wall charger.

Setup Score: 9 out of 10 points

Performance on the Course

New toy is ready to go, time to take it for a spin!

As suggested, I turned it on about 10 mins before tee off. The LED stopped blinking which signaled a GPS fix.

I usually play without a watch, because I sweat a lot and it sticks to my skin. It's still winter over this part of the world, so that was not an issue. I barely noticed I had something on my wrist.

However, my first complaint came on the first tee. I was trying to put my glove on (left hand) and the wristband was kind of in the way. I then thought about switching it to my right wrist and then I remembered somewhere in the manual mentioned you had to change the setting for a left-handed golfer. During winter, I only take off my gloves to putt (during summer, I take off after every shot), so it was bearable. When I got home, I decided to email the good folks at Shot Scope and asked them if there would be any problems wearing the watch on the right hand. The reply came promptly:

I thought about different methods to make it more comfortable, such as wearing it on the right hand with right hand settings or right hand with left hand settings. In both cases the tag would eventually go out of range (due to the right hand being further away from the tag) and you are risking a misread.

So if the wristband is interfering with your glove, wear it on the appropriate hand and just loosen it a little bit. Since the strap is made of rubber, it won't be sliding up your arm/out of range during your swing and you can easily move it when putting on your glove.

You'll need between 7 to 10cm for the tag to be detected

attachicon.gifwristbandtag800.jpg

The whole system is automatic. Play golf like you normally would and just do the pin collection after you hole out. This function is extremely intuitive, so if you can count up to 4, then you won't have problems with it. I'm sure most people will forget to pin collect during their first 3 rounds, but once the muscle memory sets in, it shouldn't be an issue. And if by any chance you need a button that registers more than 4 putts… well, you can go edit your round or get a couple of putting lessons ;)The reason the wristband is worn on the left wrist is due to the distance it is from the tag. The closer the wristband is to the tag the more accurate the data. Wearing the wristband on the right wrist will cause data to be less accurate and there is a potential for shots to be missed.

Results

Round 1: Gut Kaden A + B

I played 18 holes, keeping score on paper in order to compare results later on. One of the first rounds of the season, cold day (5C ~ 41F), greens aerated, you get the picture… not the best scoring conditions, so I was satisfied with a 90. All distances are in meters, so you can roughly add 10% for the yardage

attachicon.gifround1800.jpg

About 80% of the shots registered by Shot Scope were correct. About 5% were completely bogus such as shots from the cart path or 2 shots within 5m of each other (I swear I didn't chunk it). The final 10% were shots that were not registered. Interesting enough, the missing shots were always tee shots. Now, it was my first time using the Shot Scope and I forgot to pin collect almost every hole. So I suspect the wristband was somehow expecting a trigger to finish a hole and it never came. But hey, this is due to my own stupidity… I'm sure it'll get better in the next few rounds.

That's it! Play golf and push a button after every hole… it's that simple! The only thing you have to keep track of are penalties. Since Shot Scope traces your shots based on where you are standing, it is impossible for it to tell the difference between a legit 3rd shot you laid-up before the water hazard and a 4th shot because you failed miserably to reach the green in 2.

How accurate was the distance? If I looked at the distance of each tee shot separately (on the scorecard), I would say it's way off. 200m off the tee? Preposterous! I average 300m!!! *rolleyes*

attachicon.gifshortdrive800.jpg

But then you consider elevation, terrain, cold weather, linear distance, wind, your constant duck hooks, your manly ego and suddenly... it doesn't look that bad.

Just to be really sure there was nothing wrong with the distances, I went over all my approach shots and they were close to my lasered numbers and the clubs I would usually hit from that distance. Here an 8i 145 yards into the wind.

attachicon.gifapproach8i800.jpg

Round 2: Gut Waldhof 18 holes

Went back to play 18 on my old course hoping the problems I faced in Round 1 weren't course-related. Second attempt to make Shot Scope work, no problems at all! Look at me shooting 25 at the back nine. I didn't play the last 3 holes due to a storm approaching

attachicon.gifround2800.jpg

Round 3: Gut Kaden C + A

Back to my new home course, where I had trouble the first time. Remembered to pin collect after every whole, avoided anything that could cause a misread (drag the club on the wet rough with my glove hand, etc.). There was no need to edit at all, perfect! Shot a 90 with 5 double bogeys.

attachicon.gifround3800.jpg

Round 4: Gut Kaden C + A

Final round before posting Stage 2 of this review. Not my best day. I forgot about 3-4 pin collects, so they weren't displayed properly on the map (my own fault), so I edited them. On A1, Shot Scope placed me on the fairway, but I was actually 1m into the fairway bunker. I guess it's still within the GPS tolerance specs, so not much you can do there. You'll notice 2 empty holes, I did play them, lost about 6 balls so I probably carded a 10-12 on each, but since I was too frustrated to keep score, I deleted the traces only to keep the accurate ones in the round

attachicon.gifround4800.jpg

Performance Summary

The good:

+Shot Scope is extremely easy to use and non-disruptive, the only time I noticed it on  my wrist was when a) I was putting my glove back on and B) to pin collect

+This device completely fulfilled my expectations on the course, as it worked exactly the way I had imagined it would

+Accuracy far as I could verify was spot on (with laser range finder and with the usual approach clubs)

+The convenience offered by the Shot Scope is second to none. I can't imagine myself going back to the hassle of handheld devices. Besides the pin collect button press, you literally have to do nothing during the round

The bad:

-5% bogus shots from Round 1: I contacted Shot Scope to understand what may be causing a read on a car path. Again, their excellent customer service replied within 15 minutes and confirmed that a bumpy carth path could be the reason for that, but the wristband and tags would have to be very close to each other. Or if you start walking and cleaning the club with the wet rough while holding it with your sensor hand

-10% missed shots from Round 1: I paid special attention to pin collect in Round 2, 3 and 4 and the issue was solved

-After reading the initial difficulties some testers ran into, the device sometimes left me wondering if it captured the shot successfully. As it stands right now, you have to trust it and let it do its work. This could be avoided by implementing some sort of visual confirmation (LED blink or LED color change) after every registered shot

-The whole shot tracing process is pretty much automatic. Wouldn't it be possible to make the putting automatic too? The putter has a tag, so it knows how many putts you've taken. Instead of finishing a hole with pin collect, the algorithm could be something like “calculate # of putts based on number of putts registered after hitting another club (next tee shot) in a range > 10m outside the green. Then you eliminate players who forget to press the button

-I personally don't mind the current design, but I'm sure a sleeker, more stylish construction would sell to a bigger audience

I am deducting a total of 3 points in the performance part: 1 for the lack of feedback after a successful shot registration, 1 for the lack of automated putt calculation and 1 for the bogus shots that are still unexplainable until now. The last issue should have a deeper impact in the performance scale, but I would like to attribute it to a first-timer kind of phenomenon. Rounds 2-4 didn't show those annoyances and were captured flawlessly.

Course Score: 37 out of 40 points

Post Round

Editing

Once you are done with the round, you can either pair the device and look at everything on the phone while it's fresh or wait til you get home and analyze it all on a big monitor. Sync methods are via Bluetooth to your mobile app (also accessible on the PC dashboard) or using the USB cable to upload it to a PC directly.

The PC software you can download can only be used to upload data, change hand settings and reset to factory defaults. The editing is still done via the web dashboard

attachicon.gifdesktopapp.jpg

The only time shots were missed were during Round 1 (see Performance on the Course part). Editing is pretty straight-forward and intuitive. Click on your scorecard, “Edit" button, select which hole, you can drag and drop the shot location on the map (based on Google maps) and use the drop-down menu to select the club you used or alternatively add a penalty shot. Once you are done “Save/Exit”.

attachicon.gifedit800.jpg

Editing under the dashboard is a painless and quick process. Assuming your shots were all captured correctly, you'll only need about 15 secs / hole to add a penalty shot.

One thing I loved was how easy it was to adjust the location on the map. Distance is then automatically recalculated with the new coordinates. This feature is useful in situations where can't hit from the usual spots, due to ground under repair, new tee boxes, etc.

The mobile app, besides functioning as a sync interface for your round data, it also serves as a portable viewer for your round details and performance statistics. You cannot edit your round via mobile app. That's fine since I prefer working with a full-sized monitor, keyboard and mouse.

attachicon.gifmobileapp.jpg

attachicon.gifmobileround.jpg

So now to the bugs/suggestions:

1) My course has 27 holes (A, B and C). The first round I played was A + B. Shot Scope dashboard was showing me course C. I emailed their support team and the issue was resolved within 1 hour

2) For some reason, my Shot Scope created a new scorecard and registered 1 single shot in addition to the correct round. I then proceeded to delete the bogus one from my PC, but to my surprise, the false round wouldn't disappear from my mobile app. New rounds were added properly, but the deleted rounds were still visible. I looked everywhere, pulled down to sync several times, but nothing happened

Then one day, after logging out by mistake, I went back in and it was fixed. I'm guessing a logout will trigger a more complete sync process than just refreshing

3) I also noticed that on the mobile app, even though the scorecard only has 9 holes, it will allow you to scroll from 10 to 18 using hole 9 data. This is probably a bug that's not too difficult to solve

4) While waiting for the Shot Scope to arrive, I went to their website to check if my home course had already been mapped. Unfortunately, the information was nowhere to be found. When you buy a GPS device that advertises 30.000 courses world wide, you want to make sure yours is in there. No big deal, but it shouldn't be difficult to maintain a list with mapped courses

5) I recently got a JetSpeed 5W to replace my Adams 3H. There are no tags for a 5W so you can only use the spare X tags. This shows as Club1 on my dashboard. Imagine if you had an unconventional bag set-up and you have to use all 4 X tags. You would have to keep track of which club is being represented by that X. The easier solution would be to allow the user to modify the club name, so instead of Club1 I can rename it 5 Wood

attachicon.gifcustomclub800jpg.jpg

6) I played Round 2 on my old course, which is a standard 18 hole facility. The Shot Scope dashboard shows both the front and back nine as a whole. On the current course (3 x 9 holes) it treats them separately, thus only expanding the 9 holes I'm currently viewing. I would prefer if the dashboard can show me both 9 holes simultaneously (check if they are played the same day within 3 hours of each other, then count it as 18). Just a small annoyance

7) I would also like a “rotate” function on the map. You can do that Google maps, so not sure if there is any kind of technical limitation. It's much easier to visualize the shots when standing on the tee box

8) Something I feel it's missing is the ability to share a round with a friend. FB and Twitter buttons are there, but didn't work for me. If, by any chance, I happen to break 80, I would like to share the good news with the rest of the world. But just posting on FB and saying "hey… I broke 80" doesn't have the fireworks effect, does it? Ideally you could create a temporary or private link (only people with the URL can access it) to that specific round. They can view the scorecard, detailed club selection and distances and zoom into the interactive map. This would be read-only to avoid any modifications by mistake. I know GolfShot GPS has a similar function to share scorecards

Performance/Statistics

Now comes the fun part with all the numbers and graphs. The main page of the dashboard will provide you the “basic” stuff. These are the stats that we all know: average scores vs Par (on Par 3, 4 and 5), FIR, GIR, Scrambling % and average putts per hole. I think any golfer who takes his/her game seriously knows these figures or at least knows what they represent.

Shot Scope takes all this information and cranks it up a bit -> performance!

It is a detailed info panel that shows:

Distance and Usage of each club. You can view the numbers as average, performance average (which excludes outliers) and longest. The “Custom” club is my 5W (please refer to complaint #5)

attachicon.gifclubs.JPG

Tee shots, which covers distances and accuracy. In this case, it tells me something I already know, I'm pulling all my drives, but nailing my 3W. Why not use my 3W on every hole? Because I'm stubborn.

attachicon.giftee shots.JPG

You also have details to your approach shots, which not only covers GIR, but also takes all attempts on the green into consideration.

attachicon.gifapproach.JPG

And your shot game stats that shows everything around the green, distance to the pin and scramble %.

attachicon.gifshort game.JPG

Putting stats as desired: average, off the green, average 3 putts, make percentage depending on distance, you name it!

attachicon.gifputting.JPG

And finally, personal records just for bragging rights.

attachicon.gifrecord.JPG

Post Round Summary

Shot Scope provides a complete tool to analyze all different aspects of your game. If you are serious about improving, you will find the answers. I only had 4 rounds in the system, so the sample pool wasn't big enough. But I'm sure by the end of the season I'll be getting normalized numbers.

The 3 points I am deducting are due to the bugs or missing features. They are nice-to-have, but not a deal-breaker. And I'm sure the folks at Shot Scope can solve/implement them easily.

Editing Score: 12 out of 15 points

Subjective

Looks

Rectangular shaped, sporty wrist-band, made of plastic, paired with rubber straps. Its main function it to act as a receiver for the tags, so obviously it doesn't need a display. Even if it did, I doubt you would be able to squeeze that many details into such a tiny screen.

This is no fashion accessory, so if you need the bling bling and glossy piano finish, you'll have to look somewhere else. It doesn't have the “premium” feel of an Android/Apple Watch, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Let's face it, you should be focusing on your game and not on how many compliments you catch for the new toy. The only time you'll interact with the device is to record the number of putts after each hole. Buttons are easy to press and offer good haptic feedback.

attachicon.gifsmartwatches.jpg

The bright blue LED's give the otherwise monotonous black plastic a little bit of flare and modern feel. My flight partners only started noticing the wristband after I activated the putt collection.

attachicon.gifled800.jpg

Something that caught my attention was the number of pins used in the strap. A total of 4 pins are used to keep the wristband from falling. Makes me wonder if they had any initial issues with the watch falling off, so they decided to reinforce it. This is a design I haven't seen in other similar gadgets (GPS watches) but it doesn't make wearing it any more difficult.

attachicon.gifpin800.jpg

The tags, once installed, went completely unnoticed for me

attachicon.giftags800.jpg

Looking at the current offerings, the Shot Scope falls somewhere between a traditional GPS watch and a modern smartwatch. I'll deduct 1 point for not looking more state-of-the-artsy.

Looks Score: 14 of 15 points

Likelihood of Purchase

If you had asked me a couple of years ago, when only Game Golf or Arccos were out, I probably would have said no way, Jose!

But after using Shot Scope and seeing all data available to you and the stupid-easy operating mode, spending GBP 185 (minus the 15% discount for Easter) for your personal on-course butler seems like a no-brainer.

Think of it as a personal assistant who walks 18 holes with you, notes every shot, every putt on your birdie book, then transfers the data to a computer and crunches some numbers, makes some spreadsheets… you get the idea… to finally offer you a 20 page presentation of the current status of your game. If you ask me, that's value and all for a one-time fee!

I would give it a 20 out of 20 if the putting part could be automated as well and if there was some sort of audiovisual confirmation after each registered shot.

LOP Score: 18 of 20 points

Subjective Summary

A simple and sporty design. It may not win a beauty contest and may not satisfy the fashionistas in need of eye-candy, but it fulfills its purpose: provide accurate shot tracking capabilities that can be synthesized in an effective, user-friendly analysis tool.

Total Score: 90 of 100 points

Great, great job!  REally liked all your screenshots and thorough descriptions.

One question - what does "pin collect" mean?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Great, great job!  REally liked all your screenshots and thorough descriptions.

One question - what does "pin collect" mean?

Thanks, Ace!

I was hesitant to go more into detail about the Performance part... decided not to since most MGS readers are golf junkies anyway and the screenshots are pretty self-explanatory.

When you finish a hole, you have to press a button on the wristband to pin collect (buttons represent 1, 2, 3 and 4 putts and poor you if you need more than 4 putts). This signals Shot Scope that the hole has concluded, so it can start measuring the distance from the first putt to the hole (as pin location changes every day). This is important to build your putting statistics.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: lightbulb moment... after explaining this to you, I realized why it's not possible for it to automatically trace the last putt distance... so I shouldn't have deducted that point :P oh well, 90 or 91 shouldn't make a big difference!

That's how it's done Kanoito!  Great job!!  Looking forward to hearing what the rest of the team thinks...

Thanks, boss! I look forward to reading the other reviews as well!

Nice review! Thanks!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Thanks, Ace!

I was hesitant to go more into detail about the Performance part... decided not to since most MGS readers are golf junkies anyway and the screenshots are pretty self-explanatory.

When you finish a hole, you have to press a button on the wristband to pin collect (buttons represent 1, 2, 3 and 4 putts and poor you if you need more than 4 putts). This signals Shot Scope that the hole has concluded, so it can start measuring the distance from the first putt to the hole (as pin location changes every day). This is important to build your putting statistics.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: lightbulb moment... after explaining this to you, I realized why it's not possible for it to automatically trace the last putt distance... so I shouldn't have deducted that point :P oh well, 90 or 91 shouldn't make a big difference!

Interesting... I tested the TomTom 2 GPS watch last year and, using the GPS, it was able to recognize when you moved on to the next hole and advanced automatically.

If you forgot to add strokes/putts you could go back and correct.

Do you think the auto advance would be a nice feature?  I'm wondering because from the outset it sounds like the pin collecting could be overlooked and lead to some missed data that you need to go back and add in.  I supposed you'd get used to doing it after missing it a few times! :)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Interesting... I tested the TomTom 2 GPS watch last year and, using the GPS, it was able to recognize when you moved on to the next hole and advanced automatically.

If you forgot to add strokes/putts you could go back and correct.

Do you think the auto advance would be a nice feature?  I'm wondering because from the outset it sounds like the pin collecting could be overlooked and lead to some missed data that you need to go back and add in.  I supposed you'd get used to doing it after missing it a few times! :)

That's exactly what happened the first few rounds, but once you get used to it, shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, you can see one of my suggestions was the automated putt tracing (similar to your GPS probably), but after explaining it to you, I realize it's not feasible.

Shot Scope also provides putting statistics, including distances, and the putter tag can only do so much.

For example:

You land on the green, switch to your putter. First putt was registered by Shot Scope. Now second putt and you hole it. I'm sure Shot Scope can trace the # of putts without breaking a sweat, but what was the distance of the 2nd putt?

1st putt distance: subtract GPS location of 2nd putt minus location of 1st putt

2nd putt distance: subtract pin collect location minus location of 2nd putt

You need a trigger to measure that 2nd segment

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know if you guys have questions about my Stage 2 - Shot Scope review.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Hey downlowkey!

Thanks for the great read.

I did cross-check the putt locations between the Shot Scope and my hand-drawn birdie book. A couple of them were slightly off (perhaps 3-5 yards), but I figured they were due to:

-tolerances in civilian GPS specs

-tolerances from Google maps

-tolerances when mapping the course

Something similar to my ball landing just inside a fairway bunker, but the Shot Scope putting me slightly outside of it.

But I also support myself on the right hand (when aligning a putt) and tap with my right hand when fixing pitch marks, so that was one variable less for me.

Overall, I do agree with your assessment. It probably is a better tool for the hacker/recreational player and less for a good player.

Posted my Stage 2 update.  Feel free to fire away with any questions.

Really nice review Orange Hog.

I completely agree Shot Scope "phoned it in" on the analytics side.

But I'm betting they are already hard at work making improvements to the lackluster analytics interface.

Maybe Gavin from Shot Scope will chime in with some updated info?

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

Great review! Watch looks a little bulky for me but might have to look into this a little more! Thanks for that high quality and detailed review.

For some odd reason, the wrist unit ends up looking enormous in every photo; but it wasn't the least bit physically cumbersome.

Really nice review Orange Hog.

I completely agree Shot Scope "phoned it in" on the analytics side.

But I'm betting they are already hard at work making improvements to the lackluster analytics interface.

Maybe Gavin from Shot Scope will chime in with some updated info?

Could you point out some of the differences compared to Arccos or Game Golf? For someone who doesn't know the analytics part.

Hello all, 

I am Gavin, work at Shot Scope. 

Firstly, I am very conscious about being involved in this thread about Shot Scope. I have spoken with GolfSpyBarbajo about being on here and I have no intention of trying to sell Shot Scope or sway testers etc. I have really enjoyed reading this thread, the general discussion on performance tracking and logging the honest feedback from the MyGolfSpy testers.  

I will happily answer direct questions and talk in general about performance tracking. 

You will notice from my name, I have decided I would join the community in general as I love talking about golf, used to play at a high level and from working in the industry have a unique perspective that I hope will add to conversations about numerous topics. 

To answer downlowkey's question there are staged updates to the performance section taking place throughout the summer with the first being released end of May/early June. 

Could you point out some of the differences compared to Arccos or Game Golf? For someone who doesn't know the analytics part.

I can't speak directly about Arccos, as I haven't used it myself.  I've played with some guys who used it and looked over their shoulder at the mobile interface to see some of the dynamic data visualization and it looked really good.  Game Golf, though, I can speak for since I've been a user for over 2 years.

On my Stage 2 review I posted a few screenshots of some examples you get on the website.  From an analytics perspective, what I think Game Golf does really well is turning the data into actionable insights.  For example, the strokes gained versus Scratch, 5 handicap, 10 handicap, etc. has been useful because it directs me to the areas that will most significantly impact my scores/handicap.

Personally, I want to get down to a 5 handicap in the next year.  With that target in mind the two areas where I lose most of my strokes to that handicap target is Approach Shots (75-100 yards) and Short Game (inside 25 yards).  8.5 strokes per round is what I'm losing against a 5 handicap player based on those two opportunity areas.

Strokes Gained.JPG

There's also a simple benchmark tool where I can compare my stats to those of different handicap groups, as well.  This data is supported by the Strokes Gained insights that I can see in my dashboard.

Benchmark.JPG

When I click on Short Game from the dashboard, for example, it them bumps me over to the below screen so I can see more of where the problem lies.  For me I leave short pitch/chip shots short nearly a quarter of the time.  I can then dial up my practice plan accordingly to address this opportunity area.

Short Game.JPG

As I've gotten more rounds under my belt with Game Golf I can really start to dial in my practice plan to work on these areas to improve my game.  All the data is there with Shot Scope but I think the next step is really turning that into actionable insights for users like what Game Golf provides.

I can't speak directly about Arccos, as I haven't used it myself. I've played with some guys who used it and looked over their shoulder at the mobile interface to see some of the dynamic data visualization and it looked really good. Game Golf, though, I can speak for since I've been a user for over 2 years.

On my Stage 2 review I posted a few screenshots of some examples you get on the website. From an analytics perspective, what I think Game Golf does really well is turning the data into actionable insights. For example, the strokes gained versus Scratch, 5 handicap, 10 handicap, etc. has been useful because it directs me to the areas that will most significantly impact my scores/handicap.

Personally, I want to get down to a 5 handicap in the next year. With that target in mind the two areas where I lose most of my strokes to that handicap target is Approach Shots (75-100 yards) and Short Game (inside 25 yards). 8.5 strokes per round is what I'm losing against a 5 handicap player based on those two opportunity areas.

Strokes Gained.JPG

There's also a simple benchmark tool where I can compare my stats to those of different handicap groups, as well. This data is supported by the Strokes Gained insights that I can see in my dashboard.

Benchmark.JPG

When I click on Short Game from the dashboard, for example, it them bumps me over to the below screen so I can see more of where the problem lies. For me I leave short pitch/chip shots short nearly a quarter of the time. I can then dial up my practice plan accordingly to address this opportunity area.

Short Game.JPG

As I've gotten more rounds under my belt with Game Golf I can really start to dial in my practice plan to work on these areas to improve my game. All the data is there with Shot Scope but I think the next step is really turning that into actionable insights for users like what Game Golf provides.

Very cool! We can all definitely benefit from knowing what our specific weaknesses are versus our general weaknesses.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Thanks for the explanation Hog!

In that case, I really look forward to Shot Scope improvements!

@orange hog: Great explanation. But question on your GG short game screen shot, the percentages add up to 94%. What is the missing 6%? Outliers like chunks and sculls that are not counted?

Taylormade M2 10.5 Reg

Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged 4-GW, True Temper XP105 S300

Cleveland 588RTX 50,54,58

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

That decision is based entirely on a combination of what I now know about the limitations of civilian GPS accuracy and my nuanced needs in the short game stat department. "Tour Level Data" this product is not; but it is well engineered, simple, intuitive, comfortable and a piece of cake to operate.

Just a quick note about GPS accuracy; yes, in theory civilian GPS is limited based on satellite data restrictions however, increased processing power and software innovations, primarily driven by self driving car needs, are becoming widely available that significantly increase the accuracy of GPS devices such as this. We should be seeing +/- 10cm accuracy from handheld devices within a couple years. I would expect that within a few generations of softwares updates, this device will become much more accurate.

Another route (I know this from my land surveying days) would be if they ever put fixed base stations antennas on clubhouse roofs. Using this type of system with in conjunction with civilian GPS satellites, we were accurate to .01 feet for both coordinate data and elevation. A wristwatch would never get that accurate but I could see it getting very close.

Basically, what I'm saying is, it will only get more accurate! Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet!

PS, great review!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Thanks dang3rtown. I agree with everything you're saying. The tech just needs a few more years of development across all industries to start having a major impact. Evolving algorithms should deliver some improvement but I don't think software updates to this unit are going to provide anything in the same universe as land surveying accuracy. And bumping up the data load on this identical unit might also cost it some battery life. I like that you can get 8 straight hours out of the Shot Scope before it needs a charge.

In the meantime, on the accuracy front I was wondering if some sort of designated initial GPS coordinate marker could be established at each golf course in the Shot Scope network. It seemed like some of my performance data would consistently err 4-5 yards West one day or maybe the same to the South the next. Not necessarily the entire round but the outliers seemed to stray in a consistent direction. Does that make sense? For example, designate the top of the ball washer on the first tee as an initial GPS calibration point for your round. You put your hand on top of the washer and perform a pin collect. Shot Scope HQ verifies the known coordinates or knows to compensate based on the tagged coordinate error. I know Shot Scope is releasing a major update to the courses category fairly soon. Maybe they could list the calibration points for each course with the update. Could that potentially help improve all users data accuracy? What do you guys think?

BTW, I have absolutely no intention of throwing this baby out with the bath water...unless of course you spies petition for an abandon ship water resistance test.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

@orange hog: Great explanation. But question on your GG short game screen shot, the percentages add up to 94%. What is the missing 6%? Outliers like chunks and sculls that are not counted?

I went back and looked and I had 'fairway lie' selected for that particular screenshot, so the remaining 6% were captured from the rough.

I went back and looked and I had 'fairway lie' selected for that particular screenshot, so the remaining 6% were captured from the rough.

Ok, that makes sense then. Thanks for the update.

Taylormade M2 10.5 Reg

Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged 4-GW, True Temper XP105 S300

Cleveland 588RTX 50,54,58

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and have read it with interest.  I live across the pond and bought Shot Scope 2 months ago and have about 7 rounds built up.

I took it to Spain recently and will be going to Hilton Head next week so will be taking it with me then.

As most have said this for the price is a great device and the Customer Service is excellent.

I have started tracking certain bits of data in Excel for each individual round to give me a picture over time, in particular if I'm working on something it helps me to see how the stats work out.

I'm a high handicapper and as such don't always finish every hole (especially when playing Stableford) so the data can be a bit patchy however it's still provides lots of information, I just have to decide what to concentrate on.

My Golf Coach is interested in the data but wants about 20 rounds before we look at it in any detail, so here's to another 13 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Great reviews!!!!  I really enjoyed reading them!

Driver: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Speed (10.5 degrees, Stiff)
Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 915H 3h (stiff)
Irons: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW, stiff +.5 inch long)
Wedges: :nike-small: Nike Engage (52, 56, 60)
Putter: :seemore-small: SeeMore FGP Mallet
Ball: Vice Pro Soft

Bag: Puma Cart Bag

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FootJoy Hyperflex BOA

Dexterity: Right Handed

Handicap: 14

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping "Stage 3" reviews

Archived