Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Shows You Would Watch

Sproutland

Like the title says, if you could pitch a show idea to the Golf Channel what would it be?

The first thing I would pitch is an equipment show where Wilson Staff had a team of their top engineers and designers with no constraints except USGA conformance design a club from start to finish. Like "Driver vs Driver" with people who know what they are doing.

The second show would take a struggling mom and pop golf course or muni and restore or renovate it to make it profitable again. It could be like "Kitchen Nightmares" for golf courses. Giving insight into the industry to regular golfers and a roadmap for struggling golf operations.

I would watch the hell out of both these shows as long as Brian Urlacher had nothing to do with them. He seems nice enough, but he doesn't open his mouth wide enough to speak on television.

What about you guys and gals? What would you want to watch instead of Tin Cup reruns?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

bring back Big Break, I really liked that show

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I liked Big Break it was fun. I don't have cable now so didn't watch DVD but probably would have. I think you could do something like Hard Knocks but follow a tour pro or a couple of them and see the behind the scenes type stuff or maybe a web.com guy trying to make the tour. Would be interesting.

Maybe a travel show that would go to different parts of the country.  It would have to include package deals for groups to consider and information on the courses available and why we should consider going there.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Let's do a reality show of hackers-- Instead of taking already skilled golfers, let's take some folks with minimal skill, put them in a house and give them say 12 week's worth of instruction/practice/play and see how well they improve. Could do bi-weekly eliminations to widdle down the field and give one person the title at the end of the season. That person would get a trip to all 4 majors and inside the ropes access etc.

I like Ole Gray's idea-- kind of similar to Diner's Drive ins and dives. I'd definitely watch

I kind of enjoy watching Tin Cup six or seven times a week. I like the idea of the golf course renovation show and would watch it. I think the Big Break had run its course and stopped watching after the Greenbrier. Only really watched that because I knew two of the contestants on the show.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Maybe a travel show that would go to different parts of the country.  It would have to include package deals for groups to consider and information on the courses available and why we should consider going there.

Golf Channel did a couple of golf specific travel real estate segments during the Hawaii tournaments in January.  My wife, who has absolutely no interest in golf whatsoever, said "now that's a golf show I would watch!"

I tend to agree with her to be honest.

Like the title says, if you could pitch a show idea to the Golf Channel what would it be?

The first thing I would pitch is an equipment show where Wilson Staff had a team of their top engineers and designers with no constraints except USGA conformance design a club from start to finish. Like "Driver vs Driver" with people who know what they are doing.

The second show would take a struggling mom and pop golf course or muni and restore or renovate it to make it profitable again. It could be like "Kitchen Nightmares" for golf courses. Giving insight into the industry to regular golfers and a roadmap for struggling golf operations.

I would watch the hell out of both these shows as long as Brian Urlacher had nothing to do with them. He seems nice enough, but he doesn't open his mouth wide enough to speak on television.

What about you guys and gals? What would you want to watch instead of Tin Cup reruns?

I like your second idea.  Having previously worked as hotel GM, I loved watching Hotel Impossible, as Anthony turned around poorly kept and underperforming hotels.  Maybe the same thing for small courses like you said. 

I'd like to see this but with average players, not guys who are on the fringe.   I realize you're probably not going to take a 10 handicapper who happens to win it and put him in a Tour Event, but maybe in a Pro Am or something as a payoff. 

Let's do a reality show of hackers-- Instead of taking already skilled golfers, let's take some folks with minimal skill, put them in a house and give them say 12 week's worth of instruction/practice/play and see how well they improve. Could do bi-weekly eliminations to widdle down the field and give one person the title at the end of the season. That person would get a trip to all 4 majors and inside the ropes access etc.

I like Ole Gray's idea-- kind of similar to Diner's Drive ins and dives. I'd definitely watch

I like that, kind of expanding on what I said about the Big Break. 

Also I wouldn't mind seeing the show that NBC did for a few years where they took an famous accomplished scratch player like Tony Romo and paired him with a 10 handicap and they played the US Open course the week before to see who would break  100.    I rather enjoyed those.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yes, but. There needs to be some changes to the selection process. It got old seeing guys out there that say they are a 2, but in reality aren't any better than a 10. Or calling it big great and then invite smaller tour players, or D1 college players who didn't make it and give them a big break when I reality they already had a huge break and didn't use it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

+1 on the Diners, Driving Ranges and Dives: A Tour of cheap courses their 19th hole.

Then like a Man vs Course, a review/walked Tour of worldwide courses. Or a guy/gal trying to beat the course record.

Hopefully a network looks at this post. Cool topic.

Beyond the Morning Drive and Feherty, my viewing of the TGC fundamentally is limited to tournament play.   Accordingly, perhaps, TGC could expand its coverage of amateur tournaments.   It provides significant coverage of the Ryder Cup, the Presidents Cup and the Solheim Cup, but how much attention is provided to the amateurs in the Walker Cup or the Curtis Cup.  While the players are not professional, it means the same to them as the professionals-they are playing for the Country.  Many will be the pros we will see on tour.   There are other significant amateur events, such as the Western Open.   Maybe the exposure to College Golf can be increased, college events are rather popular in other sports venues.   To me, the bottom line would be that I am watching golf played by talented players as opposed to watching people break glass or hit over a wall or watching teaching shows that are interesting but I don't suspect has materially improved the games of most viewers.

I like the idea of following a mid-handicapper trying to progress. Like YouTube Rick Schiels' quest for the open.

There is another YouTube show sponsored by GoPro that follows a guy trying to get in on a Monday qualifier. They do a different guy each episode.

There is (was) a show on one of the sports channels that featured golf courses in Ohio. Basically a show on two people (man & women) playing the course. I'll do a search to see if I can find it.

I liked the show because it featured courses that I could play.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

So I found the show and it now goes beyond Ohio. This announcement is from 2/1/2016

Northeast Ohio golf pro Jimmy Hanlin's popular “18 Holes” television show is adding a big-name co-host, and a few words to the program's title.

Natalie Gulbis, one of the most popular personalities in women's golf, is replacing Carling Nolan as the co-host for “18 Holes with Jimmy Hanlin.” The show was originally named “Tee it Up,” but was rebranded in 2014, when Fox Sports Ohio expanded the show's reach by airing the program on 10 of its regional sports networks.

When the first “18 Holes with Jimmy Hanlin and Natalie Gulbis” debuts in May, the show will be available on the majority of Fox's 18 regional networks, an industry source said. Hanlin's website says “18 Holes” in 2015 was available in more than 70 million homes across the U.S.

“Honestly, if you told me that Carling was leaving and I was allowed to pick one person, anybody in the world, my No. 1 choice would be Natalie Gulbis,” Hanlin said in an interview with Crain's. “She brings everything to the table from the standpoint that she has star power, she loves the game of golf, and in person, she's flat out one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.”

In a news release, Fox Sports said Nolan left the show to “pursue other opportunities.” Hanlin said his former co-host, who has Type 1 diabetes, is working full-time for JDRF, a global organization that raises money for Type 1 diabetes research.

The 33-year-old Gulbis won the California Women's Amateur Championship at age 14 in 1997, and played in her first LPGA tournament that year. She has one LPGA victory and 37 top-10 finishes in her 15-year career, which has been hampered of late by injuries.

Gulbis, who had hip surgery late in 2014, played in 14 events last year, and Hanlin said she's cutting down on her tournament schedule as she begins to focus more on the next stage of her career.

Gulbis had her own reality show on the Golf Channel, was featured in the 2012 Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and has appeared on “Celebrity Apprentice” and “The Price is Right.” Her foundation raises money annually for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Southern Nevada.

“She's one of the most recognizable golf professionals, man or woman, in the country,” Hanlin said.

Hanlin — who also hosts “Swing Clinic,” “Golf Zone” and “Links to the Game” on Fox Sports Ohio and SportsTime Ohio — said the “18 Holes” format will “stay basically the same.”

The 30-minute program showcases 12 golf courses per year, with many of the programs shot at some of the country's nicest resorts.

Hanlin and his partner show how they play different shots on the course, and they hope the program “gets people excited about the game of golf.”

Gulbis, according to Hanlin, saw “18 Holes” as the “perfect avenue to do that.”

The show begins shooting in a couple weeks at Wolf Creek Golf Club in Mesquite, Nev. The second stop on the Hanlin and Gulbis tour will be Aviara Golf Club & Resort, a San Diego-area course that hosts an LPGA event each year.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

So I found the show and it now goes beyond Ohio. This announcement is from 2/1/2016

Northeast Ohio golf pro Jimmy Hanlin's popular “18 Holes” television show is adding a big-name co-host, and a few words to the program's title.

Natalie Gulbis, one of the most popular personalities in women's golf, is replacing Carling Nolan as the co-host for “18 Holes with Jimmy Hanlin.” The show was originally named “Tee it Up,” but was rebranded in 2014, when Fox Sports Ohio expanded the show's reach by airing the program on 10 of its regional sports networks.

When the first “18 Holes with Jimmy Hanlin and Natalie Gulbis” debuts in May, the show will be available on the majority of Fox's 18 regional networks, an industry source said. Hanlin's website says “18 Holes” in 2015 was available in more than 70 million homes across the U.S.

“Honestly, if you told me that Carling was leaving and I was allowed to pick one person, anybody in the world, my No. 1 choice would be Natalie Gulbis,” Hanlin said in an interview with Crain's. “She brings everything to the table from the standpoint that she has star power, she loves the game of golf, and in person, she's flat out one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.”

In a news release, Fox Sports said Nolan left the show to “pursue other opportunities.” Hanlin said his former co-host, who has Type 1 diabetes, is working full-time for JDRF, a global organization that raises money for Type 1 diabetes research.

The 33-year-old Gulbis won the California Women's Amateur Championship at age 14 in 1997, and played in her first LPGA tournament that year. She has one LPGA victory and 37 top-10 finishes in her 15-year career, which has been hampered of late by injuries.

Gulbis, who had hip surgery late in 2014, played in 14 events last year, and Hanlin said she's cutting down on her tournament schedule as she begins to focus more on the next stage of her career.

Gulbis had her own reality show on the Golf Channel, was featured in the 2012 Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and has appeared on “Celebrity Apprentice” and “The Price is Right.” Her foundation raises money annually for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Southern Nevada.

“She's one of the most recognizable golf professionals, man or woman, in the country,” Hanlin said.

Hanlin — who also hosts “Swing Clinic,” “Golf Zone” and “Links to the Game” on Fox Sports Ohio and SportsTime Ohio — said the “18 Holes” format will “stay basically the same.”

The 30-minute program showcases 12 golf courses per year, with many of the programs shot at some of the country's nicest resorts.

Hanlin and his partner show how they play different shots on the course, and they hope the program “gets people excited about the game of golf.”

Gulbis, according to Hanlin, saw “18 Holes” as the “perfect avenue to do that.”

The show begins shooting in a couple weeks at Wolf Creek Golf Club in Mesquite, Nev. The second stop on the Hanlin and Gulbis tour will be Aviara Golf Club & Resort, a San Diego-area course that hosts an LPGA event each year.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Another vote to bring back Big Break here.  I watched every season and loved that show.  GC made a mistake dumping it, as I think it provided another gateway for aspiring tour pros to make it.

I'd love to see Matt Ginella host a show full time that is like a travel channel type show but golf course destinations.  He does this to a smaller extent on Morning Drive every so often but you could easily make a full time show out of it.  Great golf courses across the world, local food and places to visit, etc.  You always hear about the "major" courses but there are a lot of really awesome resort and public tracks across the country in some unique places that don't get nearly enough (or any) attention.

We had a thread at one time about designing an MGS course somewhere.  I would like to see a course design show with a major architect working with the MGS member design and construct a course somewhere.  The course would be built at a location chosen by MGS as a place that needed a reasonably priced golf course in the community.  Part of the show would be locating that community.  Of course, the timeline would have to be compressed to allow the various phases of construction to be shown over a eight week period.  At the end the course would be played by any MGS members that wanted to show up for the grand opening.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I remember a few years back GC did a show about a homeless golfer trying to make it to the senior (?) Tour. As I recall there wasn't much follow up, and I still wonder what happened there.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

There is (was) a show on one of the sports channels that featured golf courses in Ohio. Basically a show on two people (man & women) playing the course. I'll do a search to see if I can find it.

I liked the show because it featured courses that I could play.

Its Jimmy Hanlin with Natalie Gulbis. It's called 18 holes. He had another show with a different female pro that visited different golf courses in Ohio, but I can't remember the name of it.

It seems I should have read down a little further before responding...lol. 

I'd watch 18 holes with Natalie

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My idea was similar to jlew, except it was experienced amateurs competing for a tour card or a spot in a big event and a huge check.

But, I like jlew's idea better. A group of hacks and duffers would be way more fun to watch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Personally, I'd like to see Shell's Wonderful World of Golf reruns touched up and rebroadcast in all of their vintage glory!

Here's a sample - Ben Hogan vs Sam Snead back in 1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7URngrpvb8

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

I'd watch 18 holes with Natalie

Lord knows people weren't watching it for Jimmy...That's for sure....

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Its Jimmy Hanlin with Natalie Gulbis. It's called 18 holes. He had another show with a different female pro that visited different golf courses in Ohio, but I can't remember the name of it.

It seems I should have read down a little further before responding...lol.

Show always cracked me up. They would have "celebrity" appearances from time to time for Cavs and Indians players. I've met Jimmy a couple times. Nice guy.

He owns Cumberland Trail here in Columbus.

Edit: It appears it has maybe sold to new owners. Apparently the course was in terrible condition the past couple years.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Big Break was my favorite show, but the idea of a "big brother " combo where once a week after a few weeks of instruction people get eliminated and the winner gets to hit at the par 3 at Waste Management in February

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

• SPY VIP

GolfSpy Bones (vs) LPGA Player of the Week 

the premise: all courses 7000+ yards and bones tries to put his low single digit cap's massive distance advantage up against the world most elite golfers

Git Up and Golf

the premise: GolfSpy BarbaJo takes the senior golfer on a daily journey starting with tips for just getting out of bed in the morning and oatmeal - the most satisfying meal of the day. Hot topics like driving to the course avoiding small children and not running off the road and--is 2 nickels too much for your caddy?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

the premise: all courses 7000+ yards and bones tries to put his low single digit cap's massive distance advantage up against the world most elite golfers

Git Up and Golf

the premise: GolfSpy BarbaJo takes the senior golfer on a daily journey starting with tips for just getting out of bed in the morning and oatmeal - the most satisfying meal of the day. Hot topics like driving to the course avoiding small children and not running off the road and--is 2 nickels too much for your caddy?

I'd watch those.

Git Up and Golf

It's a role I don't take lightly

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Like the second idea. How about a reality based show based on web.com tour school?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Archived