TESTERS WANTED! ×

Changing Wedges

4Left

Saw a post from another golf forum which cited a study by Titleist (so big grain of salt) that golfers will start to notice a decline in performance. They did a test using a wedge robot on a perfectly flat green and tested wedges that had been used for 125 rounds or 1000 swings, 75 rounds or 500 swings and fresh wedges. Here is what they found.

The numbers are number of rounds/launch angle/spin/feet of roll out.

125/35/6500/24

75/34/7700/18

0/33/8500/10

So after 125 rounds your wedges, according to Titleist, will launch 2 degrees higher, spin 2000 rpm less, and roll out 14 feet further...if you are a robot who hits a perfect wedge shot lol

Here is the video if you want to check it out.

https://youtu.be/U0vthLItO-Q

How often do you switch your wedges and if you have bought new ones recently, have you noticed this significant of a performance increase?

Or do you keep what have and factor in the roll out when approaching the green?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My question to this is what do they consider a round? There are some rounds I dont touch one of my 3 wedges and others I use my 56 2 times per hole.

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I tend to get new wedges every year to year and a half.  Last year I played Callaway MD Lucky Clover wedges and went to Vokey wedges this year.  I had about 85 rounds in the MD wedges and they were starting to show a good bit of wear.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

This is a great topic 👍. I've never been a guy who loves to "spin" the ball that much with my wedges. I like them to perform similar to my short irons (I can generate extra zip if I need to by my attack angle). So I have always purchased used wedges because the grooves are dulled a bit. I've been gaming Nike VRevs and Tmade RAC satins for the last few years. I love that I never over spun the ball, but I can still have plenty of bite.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

My question to this is what do they consider a round? There are some rounds I dont touch one of my 3 wedges and others I use my 56 2 times per hole.

They apparently used 500 swings to replicate 75 rounds and 1000 swings to replicate 125 rounds so that's 6 and 8 times per round respectively. And it looks like their robot is taking full-ish swings so they may not be counting shots around the green.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have yet to replace my wedges since I started playing in 2012 so going on 5 years now. Mainly because I'm too picky/worried about if I'll like the new wedges. I think I'm gonna go with edel wedges once I can get around to doing a fitting.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I have the Taylormade Tour Preferred 52,56,60. They are beat. But I love the shape of them, I am also worried that I won't like the new ones. Anyone have th new MG grind TM wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A bit disappointed they are not offered with the ATV grind which would work well with these IMO. Tried them, but not a fan. 

Interesting you brought this up Meyer.

Lately I've been thinking I might ought to replace my wedges. I've been playing them since August 2014. They still play well but I've noticed they are not spinning as much as they used to. Therefore I play for more roll-out. I probably play around 75-80 rounds a year. So I've got perhaps +200 rounds on my wedges. Ouch!

I think I'll give my fitter a call and see how to go about getting this done.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If anyone really loves their wedges and wants to restore them, tigernickgolf.com can restore them however they will be non conforming square grooves. They Can/do black chrome or oxide them.

Here's what they do:

Wedges (Per Wedge) $55

Our first step in the process is to mill (port) 6 holes in the back of the club muscle, raising the center of gravity. This moves the sweet spot to the center of the club, just where it should be, giving your ball a lower more penetrating flight with a piercing trajectory and adding more control.

Second,

We check the groove depth and if needed we painstakingly mill the individual grooves in each wedge, then finish by milling the wedge face to achieve nearly 100 percent (Non conforming square groove specification) allowed by the U.S.G.A. This gives your ball more spin than any other wedge in golf.

Finally, we apply the finish, either our proprietary Black Chrome plating or our Black Oxide finish. We then complete the process by custom paint filling (Your choice of paint & ferrule colors). When this process is complete, you now have a beautiful wedge that produces a slightly lower, more penetrating ball flight with a piercing trajectory and 15 to 20 percent more spin just like a Tour Pro!!! -- Our wedges are specifically designed for the more aggressive player who likes to go flag-hunting.

Not gonna lie, my MP T11s would look damn good in black chrome and I don't play tourney golf so I'm fine with square grooves

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

As often as I replace my irons

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Anyone use a groove tool to just do a little regrooving?

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Anyone use a groove tool to just do a little regrooving?

I sharpened my old 2009 vokeys for years - they would shred a ball like no other...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LibertyBallMarkers

I just bought MD3s towards the end of last season and I already want to replace them with RTX 3s, I think I just have a problem.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Thinking about going with a 48, (replacing my stock PW) 53 and 57. I have 52,56,60 right now. I can pull of mostly the same shots with my 56 as my 60, and probably better results, that's give me one more spot for a 5wood. Bent weak to gap them better that's why not 52 & 56.

Anyone have that set up?

I have a 48 PW, 54 SW, and a 60 LW. I have been very happy since I simplified the wedge setup. A little more old school, and allows more creativity around the greens.

I use a 52° gap wedge because it fills the gap, a 56° sandy because it has more bounce, and a 60° lobber with lots of heel relief to be creative with close in- I actually go-to the flop any time I'm not on a tight lie, it's really easy for me- but my technique looks epileptic. I'm actually looking for a new set of wedges for some reason, and I'm PO'd that I missed the Scor fire sale at my local PGATSS.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

This would be an interesting study. Take new wedges and test them against used wedges. Actually getting data from people on turf not a robot.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I don't do a lot of banging balls on the range and bunkers on the courses I play are severely limited, so a wedge is going to be useful for me until I get tired of looking at it, or see something new and shiny.

WITB
Driver: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha udesign
Woods: :callaway-small: XR 3w, 7w
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged 2016 4-G
Wedge: :ping-small: Eye 2 Gorge S
Putter: Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang

Ball: :callaway-small: Supersoft 2017

Archived