Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dave's Take: Alaska Bear Antique Copper Cigar Cutter

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Alaska Bear Cutter - 2.jpg

On the Lookout for you...

One of my goals as the new proprietor of the MGS 19th Hole is to try and find the products that will make your on course libations more enjoyable. Sometimes, I'll be actively seeking out specific stuff, and other times, I'll just fortuitously stumble across stuff.

Regardless, If I find something cool, I'l definitely share what I've found.

Today, I bring you the ALASKA BEAR® - Antique Copper Cigar Cutter Stainless Steel Guillotine Double Cut Blade in Black Gift Pouch

How's that for a mouthful? I actually stumbled across this cutter when I was looking around Amazon for cigar clips that would work on a pushcart. (Cigar Minder review HERE) As you know, Amazon always shoes you what other folk shopped for after looking at what you are looking at, suggesting things that you may also like to buy.

Sometimes, it's kind of annoying, but this time I'll say thanks to Amazon, because that's how I ran across this great little cutter.

Looks Fancy, But Not Pricy

Alaska Bear Cutter - 3.jpg

Alaska Bear Cutter - 4.jpg

One of the things that attracted me to this cutter was the copper finish. Now I doubt that there is a spec of copper in the cutter, but I liked the look so I took a risk. That's a $14.99 with free 2-Day Amazon Prime shipping level of risk if you are keeping score. That's right, Dave is a thrill seeker.

I didn't need another cutter, I've got a plastic cutter in the golf bag that works fine (aka, it cuts). However, I'm never opposed to adding a bit of fancy to the gear arsenal, and maybe one of you desperately needs a new cutter. Ultimately, I figured that if it sucked, I would only be out the price of a good 6-pack.

Thankfully, the AB Cutter doesn't suck. The copper finish looks even better in person. The coloring has some depth and variation. It also has great weighting/balance. That was the first thing that my playing partner said when I handed it to him. Heft in the hand is spot on.

Alaska Bear Cutter - 7.jpg

Best of all, it cuts well! Obviously, I have no idea how long the sharp edges will last, but for the maiden half dozen cigars, it cut cleaner than the French Revolution (too soon?).

It snipped right through all of the ring sizes that we brought along, keeping the edges tight even when the stick was a little on the dry side. 

Alaska Bear Cutter - 5.jpg

Alaska Bear Cutter - 6.jpg

(Yes that before shot does show a punch cut. We will return to that at a later date... :) )

Anyway, I'm a fan of the AB Copper cutter so far, and I have no reservation recommending it. If it falls apart, or dulls to a cigar-smashing edge, I'll let you know.

Here is the LINK so that you can check it out for yourself and add a little budget bling to your cutting game. It's not as fancy as those Xikar cutters I covet, but it's cool. It even comes with a case!

Alaska Bear Cutter - 1.jpg

About the product (from Amazon listing)

• Premium metal, custom design by Alaska Bear brands.
  • Smooth finish with luxury look, the handles are well polished and your fingers won't get injured by any case.
  • Self-sharpening double blades and cuts cigars clean and with precision.
  • Size: 3.7"×1.7"×0.36"; Weight: 3 ounces; Hole diameter: 0.892 inch.
  • Comes in a cool gift bag, to keep and protect the cutters.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Very nice review.  Something I'll be checking out, especially for the price.  Another budget cutter to consider is the Cuban Crafters Perfect cutter.  It features a back plate to gauge the depth of your cut for you.  Too shallow...just cut again.  I've had mine for several years and it still works flawlessly.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Great review !

I have a handful of Xikar cutters and use my Xikar Multi-tool the most since its attached to my car keys.

I can take a guess why we see a punch cut.  If you are a cigar snob like me,  I do this to my Cubans,  I punch cut them to "open up" the cigar, better draw. When I am ready to smoke them, I cut them at the cap.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived