#1 mrsmith123

mrsmith123

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:47 AM

I just read this article on pgatour.com: http://www.pgatour.c...hree-tours.html

What do you all think? I would have to think it would help speed up play especially if the caddie gets to the ball before their player. Or if they are out of position and the caddie wouldn't have to pace off yardages.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

#2 jlew2144

jlew2144

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Handicap:18

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:52 AM

Justin Thomas commented on it earlier today stating it wouldn't help speed things up by much

Attached File  Screenshot_20170329-224947.png   135.28KB   26 downloads

For me.. I'm sure it will have some advantages but anytime you bring technology to the course there is going to be someone that has issues with it. Say your rangefinder malfunctions and your caddie doesn't have his yardage book...then what?

Driver-  :cobra-small: Fly Z

Hybrid-    :cobra-small: King F6 3/4hybrid and 4/5 hybrid

Woods-   :cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3w

Irons-  :cobra-small: King F6 6-GW

Wedge-  :cleveland-small:  RTX 3 56

Putter- O-Works Fang CH

Bag-  :cobra-small: Dry Tec Stand 

Ball-  :bridgestone-small: B330RXS

#3 JudgeSmails

JudgeSmails

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN
  • Handicap:10

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

I'm for it, I do think it will help speed up play...and if a player is not in favor of it, they don't have to use it and can stick to the yardage book.   

Driver:    :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5* 

Fairway:   :callaway-small:  GBB Epic 5w

Hybrid:  :wilson_staff_small: D200  4h 22*

Irons:   :wilson_staff_small: C200 5-GW

Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: PMP 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :cameron-small:  Fastback Select  (codename: LittleScotty)

Ball:  :wilson_staff_small:  DUO Urethane

I make Hand-Stamped Copper Ball Markers, check out my FB Page below

https://www.facebook...inesGolfDesigns

#4 Kkaw1988

Kkaw1988

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Handicap:20

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

It has to help speed up play a bit I would think. I still think that one of the biggest issues is some of the pre-shot rituals, though as a baseball guy I get it. That said I'm for more tech on the course as long as it works quickly and efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#5 HighFade

HighFade

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,428 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

I just threw up in my mouth a little. It won't speed up play. It will slow it down. Purists unite!

There is no spoon.

WITB
Callaway BiG Bertha Alpha
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

#6 Jiro

Jiro

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 672 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:23

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

I am all for technology advancements and would like to see this happen. Hard to say whether it would speed things up on tour but would think it would help with making decisions on shots into the green. Once they get the distance to the stick they can figure out all hazard clearances from their notes.

:ping-small: G30 SF Tec, 10*, Ping TFC 419D shaft | :srixon-small: Z355 hybrid, 19*, Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft | Miura PP-9003, 4-GW, KBS Tour 90 shafts | :benhogan-small: TK-15, 54*, 58*, 62*, KBS Tour 90 shafts |  :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Collection #1 Putter | :wilson_staff_small: Duo and Duo Spin Balls

#7 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,062 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'm for speeding up play for everyone. However, the Pros are the worst IMO. They've got these clipboards* they all carry in their hip pockets and are constantly flipping through them. Then they talk with their caddy, flip open the book, look at the trees, flip through the book some more, talk some more, re-select a club, go through their pre-shot routine and then finally hit a shot. Good grief man! If you think I'm exaggerating go back and watch some old YouTube vids of Hogan, Nicklaus, Player, Palmer, Watson, etc, etc.

* Yardage books

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#8 GolfSpy Meyer

GolfSpy Meyer

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,313 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:2.9

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

I'm all for it, they have their yardages down to the exact yard already so what is a laser (without slope) going to give them they don't already have access to?  Nothing, it would just make it a small bit faster to shoot the flag.  

I don't think it would speed up play much but every little bit helps.  I've never understood why they weren't allowed when distance to pin is considered public knowledge and they already have all the info.  It would just occasionally save the caddy a walk to the nearest landmark.

Driver: :taylormade-small:  SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 15°, 17°, 22°, 25° all Kuro Kage Black 80 HY stiff
Irons: :taylormade-small: Speedblades 6-9 KBS C-Taper S+
Wedges: Scor 45°, 50°, 54° & 58° C-Taper S+
Putter: Evnroll ER5

#9 MGoBlue100

MGoBlue100

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 622 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC
  • Handicap:13

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Just my IMO, it takes away a LOT of what professional golf is.  The interaction, (guesswork?) between player and caddie.

Not sure it will speed up play; not sure that I care that much, either.  Some are fast, some are slow. 

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x
:callaway-small: RAZR Fit Xtreme 15*  Ozik Matrix HD Radix 4x
:cleveland-small:  588 20.5* Hybrid  Ozik Black Tie HM3 95x
:callaway-small: XHOT 22* 4 Hybrid  Callaway Project X Hot Stiff
:mizuno-small: JPX-825 (4i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (50, 54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: B330-RX

#10 DaveP043

DaveP043

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
  • Handicap:2.7

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

I think that at first the caddies will still pace things off, and the DMDs will be used to confirm those distances.  Even after they learn to trust the DMDs, they'll still be using their yardage books, adding and subtracting to determine the "other" yardages, carry over a bunker, ridges on the greens, front or back, those things.  Then the discussions, analyzing the wind, where is the danger.  The DMD can shorten the very first step of the process, but won't change the rest of the process at all.  

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:titelist-small: Titelist 910D3 9.5, Kai'ili 65 S

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

#11 Liberty Ball Markers

Liberty Ball Markers

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationLiberty, MO
  • Handicap:7.1

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

I agree - the lethargic ones are still gonna drag their feet.

I don't see an issue with the tech though - not allowing range finders seems similar to not allowing cavity back clubs and 460cc metal drivers to me.

#12 DaveP043

DaveP043

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

I've never understood why they weren't allowed when distance to pin is considered public knowledge and they already have all the info.  

I'm guessing, but I'd say that DMDs haven't been allowed before because their use was still disallowed under the rules of golf, absent a local rule.  The Conditions of Competition for the various tours have seem to generally be more restrictive than the basic rules of golf, rather than allowing things that aren't otherwise allowed.  Now with the proposed rules changes, use of DMDs generally becomes allowed, so using them on the tours is logical.

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

#13 GolfSpy Meyer

GolfSpy Meyer

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,313 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

I think that at first the caddies will still pace things off, and the DMDs will be used to confirm those distances.  Even after they learn to trust the DMDs, they'll still be using their yardage books, adding and subtracting to determine the "other" yardages, carry over a bunker, ridges on the greens, front or back, those things.  Then the discussions, analyzing the wind, where is the danger.  The DMD can shorten the very first step of the process, but won't change the rest of the process at all.  

You make it sound like pro's would be amazed at this newfangled technology distance measuring device.

I doubt there would be any trust build up.  They are already all using some sort of device in practice.

I would think the pro's would be all for this.  It opens up a whole new revenue market for sponsorships.

#14 DaveP043

DaveP043

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

You make it sound like pro's would be amazed at this newfangled technology distance measuring device.

I doubt there would be any trust build up.  They are already all using some sort of device in practice.

I would think the pro's would be all for this.  It opens up a whole new revenue market for sponsorships.

I know the pros use them now in practice, but to think that they'll use less data than is available seems unlikely.  I don't see them relying on one distance measurement when they can have two independent distance measurements. They'll have the caddie pace and do that calculation, and they'll shoot the yardage, and then they'll discuss the 2-yard difference for a while.  They'll probably also have a GPS, in case they don't have a line of sight for a laser (Mickelson for sure will need this), so they might have THREE independent distance measurements to compare and reconcile.  Then they'll do all the rest of the analysis, have the same discussions, and finally hit the shot.  And doesn't Ricky Fowler already endorse Bushnell. along with a few others?

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

#15 GolfSpy Meyer

GolfSpy Meyer

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,313 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

I know the pros use them now in practice, but to think that they'll use less data than is available seems unlikely.  I don't see them relying on one distance measurement when they can have two independent distance measurements. They'll have the caddie pace and do that calculation, and they'll shoot the yardage, and then they'll discuss the 2-yard difference for a while.  They'll probably also have a GPS, in case they don't have a line of sight for a laser (Mickelson for sure will need this), so they might have THREE independent distance measurements to compare and reconcile.  Then they'll do all the rest of the analysis, have the same discussions, and finally hit the shot.  And doesn't Ricky Fowler already endorse Bushnell. along with a few others?

I don't disagree with anything there.

I'll go with this then, it has the potential to speed up play in certain instances.

And yeah some guys have endorsement deals already, but if a company can see their device being used on live TV down the stretch on a Sunday I'm betting a lot more guys get endorsements and logo's on their shirts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      26 Sep
    REMGolf

Thanks! I've been on the email list for years and often read the forums for information or just to confirm what I think I know. I haven't bothered to sign up as I didn't think I had anything useful to add. Probably still don't.

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors