Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

If You Got Signed to a Staff Deal

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing more prestigious than having that titleist across your hat,having the blades in your bag with an initial stamp, and a Scotty Cameron with your name on it! Ahh to dream!!! Great question!

• SPY VIP

Mizuno. I have a Bettinardi. I love the Irons, and i have never hit a driver but they get good reviews.

Bettinardi putters are fantastic, but unfortunately Mizuno and Bettinardi have parted ways. If you check the Mizuno website, you'll find they don't have any putters listed right now. It's really a shame. The BC series is beautiful.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I love the under dogs:

Dynacraft Blades, Prophet ICT 2 Driver and Fairway Woods, DMC Forged Wedges, and Rife Putter!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Titleist would be cool. Or Adams or mizuno or snakeyes or anyone who's gonna give me free clubs lol

This may actually be the best answer for me too...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Adams! Best hybrids by far, amazing driver, good fwys, and those new black CBs look awesome.

I don't think I'd say no to Ping, Mizuno, or Titleist either. I like bridgestone too... havent even hit any j38s yet, but I wouldnt mind playing j33 driver/fwy and j36 irons.

Man, that's a tough one. I'd probably go Callaway, especially with the new offering of the Diablo Forged irons. Heck, even without a staff deal, I might go Callaway!! FT-9 Tour driver, FW, FT-hybrids, Diablo Forged iron, JAWS wedges and Sabertooth putter!! Oh man, that would be sick!!

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

I'd have a tough time deciding, but I would have to say either Ping or Mizuno... or course I play neither now, so this is more based on desire than experience...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Mizuno all the way. Not only do they make excellent irons, but their wedges are great as well, and the Bettinardi putters are on par with Scotties. My 14th club would be the driver, a Titleist or a Cleveland.

I don't think Bettinardi makes putters for Mizuno anymore. Too bad, the black ones (forget the name) had an amazing feel.

• SPY VIP

I don't think Bettinardi makes putters for Mizuno anymore. Too bad, the black ones (forget the name) had an amazing feel.

Black Carbon was the black model. Thought the face was an insert the first time I looked at them.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Black Carbon was the black model. Thought the face was an insert the first time I looked at them.

Ah yes. I thought that too, but alas, it was milled right in. I'm surprised no one has copied it.

Personally, I've never been wowed or overly intrigued by any Ping products, but there is a lot to be said for their customer service and the loyalty of their customers. One of my dad's friends orders a brand new complete set every year or two and never even looks at another brand because he likes calling Ping and talking to their people about shafts and fittings, etc.

If someone is thinking about gaming a Ping set and they have the means, I always recommend they go to the facility in Phoenix and go through their fitting process. If they do that then they will be a Ping customer for life.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Callaway for me. I've played nothing but their clubs for nearly twenty years. Great products and the best customer service ever.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

If you asked this a few years back I would have said Titleist all the way and who knows maybe I still would. But the more I think about it I would have to let them all wine N dine me as most of the OEM's are fairly equal. I'd rather just get paid for playing the woods I like best, then the irons and then the wedges and finally the putter and ball. So I would have a hard time saying just one OEM from head to toe. I mean now with Puma taking over Cobra..... well you see the dilemma, there's just too many OEM's for me to lock into one! Sorry!

PS: 10 years ago I would never even include Cally in this conversation, but now they actually make some great equipment! Right now they have the best driver on Tour and those Proto irons are excellent, wedges by RC and putters not too shabby as well.I can still use my S2H2 3 wood and have a great bag with all Cally. just might have to consider. B)

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I'd go Callaway all the way. Probably the exact set I play right now. Im definetly not a pro but my rep gave me a sweet staff deal this year.

How do you have a rep if your not a pro? Also can you give him my name if he can hook me up with say the same st up as say Ernie Els? LOL

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

It would be hard to pick between Mizuno and Cleveland for me. Cleveland would have the edge on the drivers, woods, and hybrids, where Mizuno would have the edge in irons. Both companies make excellent wedges, but I'm currently bagging Mizunos. . .

Great question! I wish I had this problem!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

How do you have a rep if your not a pro? Also can you give him my name if he can hook me up with say the same st up as say Ernie Els? LOL

Some golf stores have reps that are employed by the equipment company but work at the store. I know that Apple has some reps at some Best Buys, if that helps explain it at all.

Some golf stores have reps that are employed by the equipment company but work at the store. I know that Apple has some reps at some Best Buys, if that helps explain it at all.

Every rep for a golf company has a promotional budget, allowing them to give equipment to either PGA pros or golf retail store employees. This is used at their digression to help promote club sales within larger retailers or green grass accounts. This might clear up this question for you.

My local PGA Pro whom I take lesson from is on staff as a fitting rep for Taylor Made, Adams, Calloway and Cobra. So, he fit us for free, and get us the clubs at 10% above whole sale. He business model is you then become a custom for life, take all your lessons from from, go to his clinics, and it seems to work, well!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Nike without a doubt. They have one of the best if not the best R&D facility in the business and you could get everything from drivers to a new pair of socks.LOL I have been playing their clubs for years and couldn't be happier with the performance.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

My local PGA Pro whom I take lesson from is on staff as a fitting rep for Taylor Made, Adams, Calloway and Cobra. So, he fit us for free, and get us the clubs at 10% above whole sale. He business model is you then become a custom for life, take all your lessons from from, go to his clinics, and it seems to work, well!

That's a very good business model for sure!

Adams, because...I am on staff with them. Great products and they are finally "getting" what the better player looks for in a club.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• 4 years later...

I think it comes down to 2 things for me.  Driver and putter.  I want the ball in play and make putts on the green.  I would probably end up with Titleist across the board, but Taylormade would be right there.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

I think that I would have to look at TM and then Nike.

TM has the irons and wedges I like. I hit the SLDR irons and really enjoyed them. Not a big fan of the SLDR driver. Hit farther with my R-11s at demo day than I did the SLDR.

NIke has great Irons. Cant wait to demo the new irons. (Tent sale/Demo Day at golfsmith is less than a month away!!) But more than that, Nike is also tied into EVERYTHING else. Yeah the money is all the same in our scenerio, but the added perks of being on the Nike Staff might get me to lean that way.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Archived