TESTERS WANTED! ×

If You Got Signed to a Staff Deal

• SPY VIP

Let's pretend for a moment you're the kind of golfer that every manufacturer in the biz is dying to sign to an endorsement deal. Money being equal, and with the stated condition that 13 of your 14 clubs must be from the company you sign with...

Which manufacturer's "staff" would you choose, and why?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great question!

Hmmmmmm......

I might say PING. Love there woods and irons...not the biggest fan of their wedges, but I could get use to them! :)

Oh. But I'd need a clause that would allow me to use a different putter... Scotty all the way!

Ditto on the "Great Question"

Hmmmm...my first thought would be to go with Adams.

I've always liked their drivers when I've demo'd them -

They always seem to be pushing the envelope with iron design and ,as noted in another thread, they make a pretty good line of wedges (Puglielli).

Think I could get them to have Bob Bettinardi mill me up a putter - lol

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Without a doubt, Mizuno, because they are the upcoming company. the Irons are getting to the top, their drivers are getting better and the most advanced technologicaly. all the other brands are on top and can only go down. Ping, Taylor Made, callaway, nike and so on...

Why can they only go down?...

Simply because they cant get any higher. they might be a great position now and may bloom a little but will not increase like mizuno or adams can... Tiger brought golf rating sooooo high that not only nike profited from it but all the companies, Mizuno and adams is not at the same level as the major brand but close. Thats why i think Mizuno his the upcoming company because of their technological Advancement.

It's a toss-up for me among Titleist, Taylormade and Adams. Adams probably gets the nudge for me because of their hybrids.

Then again - in this fantasy setting - if I signed with Acushnet, do I get the flexibility to pick among both Cobra and Titleist products? If so, I'd go with Acushnet.

Putter would have to be of my own choosing.

I'd love to keep playing Mizuno irons, but I'm not sure about their woods. I think I'm 50/50 between Titleist and TM. I love TM drivers and their irons and wedges are good enough for me. I'm not a huge fan of Titleist drivers, but I like Vokey wedges, and I think their irons are really nice looking.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'd probably go with Scratch if I could, mainly so I can get my own custom grinds. If not, probably somebody like Bridgestone which can create a custom grind, call it a prototype and just put their stamp behind it. If not, then Cleveland. I like their entire product line.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Before pay for play Mizuno was the #1 iron in golf for something like ten years straight. I'd venture to say that if the pros didn't get paid to play irons, a significant portion of them would go Mizzy.

So Mizzy irons, wedges, and hybrids with a Callaway driver. I'd have to have someone cut some grooves in the putter face though. I hate seeing the ball skid like it does off of Tour Scotty's for me on Bermuda. On bent or poa they're good, but on anything with serious grain, they're terrible for me. Your experience might vary though. B)

TM SIM2 w/PX Green "Hulk" 6.5TX

Honma 16.5* w/Vizard Blue 70

Honma 18* (set at 20*) w/Aldila NV Blue

Honma TR20B 4 - 10 w/Nippon Modus 130

Honma 52*, 58* (bent to 57*), 60* (bent to 62*) w/Nippon Modus wedge shafts

Odyssey Tank 7

Pro V1x

Callaway. I really think they have the best lineup this year.

Driver would be the FT Tour or FT-9 TA

3 wood--a diablo

Hybrid - FT

4-PW X-Proto

51 - 55- 59 X-Forged wedges

Putter - My Beloved TP MILLS Softtail Shortneck

Ball Tour Iz

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• SPY VIP

All these replies have been fantastic. I'd be hard-pressed to lock myself in with any one manufacturer (of course, it's easy to say that with nobody actually offering to tie me down). I love some of the recent Callaway drivers, TaylorMade Fairway woods, Adams Hybrids, Mizuno Irons and wedges, and probably Bettinardi putters above all others, but...

Knowing how the Cobra staff deals work - Cobra Woods and irons, paired with Vokey wedges and a Scotty putter isn't a bad set it up (you know, if you have to be be tied down). Ideally I'd play a Titleist hybrid, but the Baffler is a hell of a club too.

Callaway would probably be 2nd on my list, but I've never fallen in love with any of their fairway clubs.

Finally...from this years' crop I've only hit the Speedline Fast 10 driver, but based on the pictures I've seen Adams could be a pretty easy sell as well.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Mizuno all the way. Not only do they make excellent irons, but their wedges are great as well, and the Bettinardi putters are on par with Scotties. My 14th club would be the driver, a Titleist or a Cleveland.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

I'd go with Ping without hesitation. Their dedication to fitting and customer service is unwaivering and I've always been treated well any time I've gone to the factory. All of their clubs just plain perform without having to rely on a lot of bells and whistles. That's why their customers are among the most loyal in the industry.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Powerbuilt.

That's right, Powerbuilt. That way Faldo could have my back and say "What do you expect with those clubs..."

Thanks Sir Nick, thanks.

Mizuno with a Byron

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'd go with Ping without hesitation. Their dedication to fitting and customer service is unwaivering and I've always been treated well any time I've gone to the factory. All of their clubs just plain perform without having to rely on a lot of bells and whistles. That's why their customers are among the most loyal in the industry.

Personally, I've never been wowed or overly intrigued by any Ping products, but there is a lot to be said for their customer service and the loyalty of their customers. One of my dad's friends orders a brand new complete set every year or two and never even looks at another brand because he likes calling Ping and talking to their people about shafts and fittings, etc.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Good question. For me it really comes down to Driver and Wedges. The irons are something that every good major manufacturer can grind to your preferred look and specs. Right now, It would be a tossup for me between Cleveland and Callaway. The Launcher DST Tour is quite good, and I have been gaming Cleveland wedges since 1990. Callaway is making some of the best drivers on the planet this year, and the wedges are made by the man himself, so I find myself in a bit of a conundrum.

Huntington Beach.... Here I come!!!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived