TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is YOUR key to hitting that Driver?

One thing I try to do is find someone who is similar to my body type and watch what they do. The plane, the hands, the arms, the legs, etc.

I've been watching Peter Finch on youtube lately. He seems about my size and I think he has one of the best driver swings.

This is a little tough for me since I'm 5'6" and average build hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rickie is 5'8"

- Alan

Rickie's also a stud whereas I could stand to hit the gym a little more often haha I do love his swing though

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

1. Play the ball off your left instep or even a little further up in your stance. Ball position with the driver is important. Too far back is bad
  2. Set-up with slightly more weight on your right foot, maybe 55%
  3. Shoulder tilt slightly up, right arm below left. Encourages the desired upswing
  4. Let 'er rip with good tempo, 1-2. Vijay Singh says the word, "seventeen" in his head. 

Enjoy!

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Don't over swing is the key, I can still hit it with a normal take back and it will go straighter, don't do the John Daly power swing because it's only going to connect perfect 1 of 100 times

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

It used to be "grip it and rip it". 1-10 might have been good. Now it's smooth and easy. Not as long but playable. Like they say "drive for show, putt for dough"

CobraConnectChallenge3

My key is honestly just trusting my swing. My driver has historically been one of my stronger clubs (12 handicap so I'm no DJ) but I've always been able to keep it somewhere i can get a good second shot from. I hit it around 280-300 on a good day and i drive the ball best when I play the game I have not the game I want.

It used to be "grip it and rip it". 1-10 might have been good. Now it's smooth and easy. Not as long but playable. Like they say "drive for show, putt for dough"

not trying to be a critic but with the new data Microsoft has been collecting for the tour that saying has been debunked. The players who drive the ball the best/most accurate make more birdies. When I saw that I was surprised. Just wanted to share being a fellow reader. (Not trying to be a hater or critic)

What usually works for me is putting it back in the bag and pulling out my 3W. Haha.

That is exactly what I've turned to the last while. My driver use to always be a solid club for me, but since I've got my F7 3 wood it works just as well if not better in a lot of cases so driver stays in the bag with the exception of a few holes a round. That's likely also why it doesn't perform as well now. Lack of use.

A general key for me when I was hitting driver was simply swing easy and through rather, because I would often hit a bit down on the ball with my driver.

Last key buy a new to me driver and see if that one works better!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

For me right now it's all about not swaying off the ball, keeping my head still and firing my right knee to start the downswing

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Making sure I'm following the same path on my downswing as I do on my backswing.... That and trying to swing at about 75%. If I do both of those, I'm usually out in the fairway between 260-310 depending on where the ball hits the club face.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Another way to think about what other people said in this thread (tempo, don't overswing, etc.) is "let the club do the work". Think of all the technology that goes into clubs especially the driver, the ball is going to get out there. You don't need to swing hard or fast. I'll work on my positions on the range, but on the tee box it's always "let the club do the work" and it usually stops my mind from wandering on hitting specific positions or overthinking my swing.

Close my eyes. Say a little prayer and yell fore right at impact.

I struggled so bad with a driver for many years I usually hit my 2 iron off the tee. Then I took about 7 years off. Just really got back into golf in 2014. I didn't have much time being in the military to pursue my hobby. So in 2014 I spent a bunch of money on some used but state of the art to me clubs. I had an adams tight lies driver back in the day. The size of modern hybrids. Got my R1 in the mail and said holy sh!t how can you miss with this school bus. Took me a year and a half worth of driving range/simulator to get consistent. But now it's my fairway finder. If I'm off I just set up for a fade and let it rip... nah, I do that all the time.

So to sum up. I found my keys to the driver. Not sure where, but I've always relied on self teaching. Worked fairly well so far. Spent hours on the range till my hands bled. If I start hitting them OB I will go back and bloody them again.

Edit: my swing has always been similar (but nowhere as efficient) to Adam Scott's. So if I'm looking for inspiration I put him on YouTube repeat.

Any chance I can find the Shankster's swing on YouTube?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

really concentrated on compressing the ball (getting the hands ahead of the clubhead at impact) with driver last time I was out and it helped tremendously.... hit some good drives and found quite a few fairways....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

After I was fitted and the fitter had adjusted the weights he said, "Trust the Driver".

That said I am hitting it straight down the fairway.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Just recently I've been setting up like Bubba but that's Bubba when Bubba is actually hitting fairways with his driver. Not Bubba as of lately. I've tried spreading my feet a ton but found that doesn't work for me. Then I've started to shortening my base and bringing my feet closer together. Also then I've gone a bit like Ricky and choking down. So a bit of Bubba and a bit of Rickey and now I'm finding more fairways. I'm a high handicapper so I wouldn't say I'm doing much but definitely doing better melding these guys together.

After I was fitted and the fitter had adjusted the weights he said, "Trust the Driver".

That said I am hitting it straight down the fairway.

Great point Foz!   Trust is a really key component of a swing.  I find that when I trust what I'm doing the swing flows much more free and effortless...it's when I don't trust it that I get tense and try to manipulate things and my timing/rhythm/tempo get all messed up.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

My keys to hitting balls farther out of bounds:

1: Be slow. This goes back to an old weightlifting/shooting saying, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" I have found this is true of all golf shots but driver in particular. Smooth is faster, more consistent and has a better tempo.

2: Weight shift forward before you initiate down swing. This relates to point one but if you take the time to really get on your front foot before coming around, you will hit the ball straighter and longer.

3: Keeps your hands down. Number one thing I can see from a couple hundred yards away on hacks is hands up and away from their body at set up. If there's a straight line from your shoulder to the head of your club, you're probably holding the club too far out.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Swinging my A$$ off and hope to make good contact at the right moment for it to go somewhat straight.. then act like i know what i'm doing when it actually does.. 

:D I admit it i have no clue how to hit the ball straight,, I get lucky sometime.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 months later...

I use to run to the tee box as my driver was my favorite club and as a rule, would be LD when I played with most of my friends.  I'd get lots of oohs and awes as I'm not a big person and even the guys that I'd get paired with would wonder how I got so much distance from my size and height...then, I played with some college girls who banged it well past me and then some...and in my self-reflection mode and ego busting moments, decided to replicate their swings and go for more distance.  Bad idea...I have struggled all season with the driver yips where I'm not sure just how or where the ball will be hit or where it will go...classic case of comfortable at the range but on the course, not good and uncertain.  I played in our club championship match play with our members watching, and I dribbled more than half my drives barely off the tee...it was humiliating...I've since recovered a bit, but short of quitting the club altogether, I am still searching for my old swing.  I have proceeded to develop a case of trigger finger from too much practice.  Having a net and mat in my home along with a driving range at our club entices me to get out and hit a "few" to get my swing back. I need a solid drive in order to score...last summer I was a 9 index, and trending down...today, I'm a 14 index and going up...ugh!

:ping-small:

Driver:  Ping G LE
:callaway-small: Irons:  Callaway Big Bertha
Callaway X Hot
:ping-small: Putter:  Ping Crazee

:lol:

Golf shoe:  hundreds!

B)

Outfits:  Too many to count

I use to run to the tee box as my driver was my favorite club and as a rule, would be LD when I played with most of my friends. I'd get lots of oohs and awes as I'm not a big person and even the guys that I'd get paired with would wonder how I got so much distance from my size and height...then, I played with some college girls who banged it well past me and then some...and in my self-reflection mode and ego busting moments, decided to replicate their swings and go for more distance. Bad idea...I have struggled all season with the driver yips where I'm not sure just how or where the ball will be hit or where it will go...classic case of comfortable at the range but on the course, not good and uncertain. I played in our club championship match play with our members watching, and I dribbled more than half my drives barely off the tee...it was humiliating...I've since recovered a bit, but short of quitting the club altogether, I am still searching for my old swing. I have proceeded to develop a case of trigger finger from too much practice. Having a net and mat in my home along with a driving range at our club entices me to get out and hit a "few" to get my swing back. I need a solid drive in order to score...last summer I was a 9 index, and trending down...today, I'm a 14 index and going up...ugh!

What's true for Navy SEALS sending rounds through their smoke wagons is also true for swinging the longest club in your bag...

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Specifically a smooth transition from backswing to downswing.

Sent through the nexus of the Universe

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

What's true for Navy SEALS sending rounds through their smoke wagons is also true for swinging the longest club in your bag...

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Specifically a smooth transition from backswing to downswing.

Sent through the nexus of the Universe

True... as long as the setup is correct to start with.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Spine angle (proper rotation) and tempo (slow in my case is better)

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

When I can create some lag in the downswing the ball just rockets off the club face.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

yes, I agree..I am quick to pull the club back..always have been, and my tempo could easily be part of the problem.  I know I'll get it back..just need to relax, step away for a bit, and go back to my effortless swing that use to be so easy.  I'm pressing and wanting to get it over with...instead of enjoying the "ride".

:ping-small:

Driver:  Ping G LE
:callaway-small: Irons:  Callaway Big Bertha
Callaway X Hot
:ping-small: Putter:  Ping Crazee

:lol:

Golf shoe:  hundreds!

B)

Outfits:  Too many to count

yes, I agree..I am quick to pull the club back..always have been, and my tempo could easily be part of the problem. I know I'll get it back..just need to relax, step away for a bit, and go back to my effortless swing that use to be so easy. I'm pressing and wanting to get it over with...instead of enjoying the "ride".

The more I think about what I should be doing (mechanics of the swing) the worse it gets so I just relax and swing with an easy tempo.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...

Let the clubhead "lead you back" then let it all "fall" back to your address position. Try hitting your driver 50yds, then 75, then 100, and on. If you're not trying for ultimate driving stats, you may be more mentally relaxed and ready to slide back into your swing...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived