dadivots

What is YOUR key to hitting that Driver?

For me..its been shortening the backswing. I watched the guys on tour twist and contort their bodies which resulted in mile long drives that I wanted to emulate.

Yeah there's a reason those guys are on tour and I'm not. I started messing with my swing and went out for a solo round to try some of my new tactics and came to see that shortening it helped keep it in the short stuff.

I mentioned in another thread that it's similar to Rahms swing and I'm still putting it out 235-240 carry so I will take it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

If I was Superman the driver would be my Kryptonite. That said slowing down and taking my time followed by not trying to hit it like I'm lifting 300 lbs has helped. I used to be grip it and rip it and my baseball swing would fill in the blanks, now it's calm relaxed and working out much better as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Tee it high, drop my back shoulder, and swing hard to a full finish.

The key to my driver is Ibuprofen, or Aleve.  Without either its the mini driver, or a hybrid for the first few holes.  Alcohol works, but you always run the risk of drinking past the sweet spot.  Jokes aside, for me it's keeping my core/head still, and reminding myself that giving it a little extra doesn't give you any extra. 

• Like 5

Tempo and finishing in balance!!

On every shot my only swing thought is "be smooth."

I'm way more accurate and hit the ball further when everything is in sync.

Sent from my VS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

One thing that might help is to shorten the shaft... NOT TRYING TO THREADJACK... it's just that even if you do all the right stuff sometimes a 46 inch driver can be the problem or at least make a small problem even bigger. i.e. if I open the face a bit on a 44 inch driver I might end up in the rough but with a 46 I might end up in the trees. :)

Persimmon drivers were 43" so that was the standard for a long time. You are exactly right that a shorter club will help.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Smooth and staying behind it. Slow back to get a full load and the rip through. Don't go past parallel, you're not DJ and all that extra movement is that much more you have to line back up to square the club face.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I like to think that driving the ball is the thing I do best on the course. I am fairly accurate, and long enough to play most courses. The biggest tip I have is to pick a small target, trust yourself and hit it. If you think too much, try to steer it into play, or control the shot, you are destined for the trees|lake|bunker|desert ect... You have hit hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of perfect drives on the range and course during your golfing career, so you know that they are in there. You just have to let them out. The swing happens way too fast to micro manage any part of it. I think that Ron Popiel said it best. Just set it and forget it!

https://youtu.be/tLq27iOW0R0

Do all the work before you take it back. During the swing, no thoughts, only a dial tone..  

• Like 1

I like all the posts about tempo. It's a solid swing key with any stick and most importantly off the tee.

Yeah, we all KNOW what to do, it's doing it that's hard :-)

• Like 1

Not rushing the backswing. Gives your body time to get in sync and position for the speed you develop on the downswing. Seemed to help me this past weekend.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

I find that aside from the obvious: smooth takeaway and tempo, grip pressure is often overlooked. Simply keeping my grip pressure light through the takeaway and in the beginning of the downswing is a huge key for me. Grip pressure will always tighten up at impact when it's needed most. It's tension that kills most drives...

• Like 3

Lots of good advice so I will go with my first impulse - there is no substitute for confidence and confidence comes from sound fundamentals honed by practice.

So, be sure that you have a driver that fits, take lessons, developed a sound pre shot routine that includes visualization and practice, practice, practice.

• Like 2

The biggest key for me is a solid address position. I was fortunate to have my parents require me getting lessons when I started playing so I'm fairly sound on my mechanics which helps a bunch. After that I just try to make a good turn back and through while staying level with my head. Doesn't always work out but more often then not it's playable.

2 things I see most people do that wrecks their drive - over swinging and putting the ball too far back in their stance. But mostly over swinging.

So that's what I am working on. Ball forward, and smooth swing.

Nobody really pays enough attention to what you do before you even make a swing at the ball.

So if you paid the greatest amount of attention to your set up routine and shot visualisation, you would find a lot more drives in the fairway.

With that in mind, focus on the key factors of the shot. What does the shot look like? Fade, draw, straight?

Next, get your ball position and alignment correct. Next get your grip correct. Now get your stance set.

Now you have the perfect platform to execute the shot you visualised.

Driving is probably the hardest shot in golf, but is usually paid the least amount of attention. If you follow these simple but critical steps before even making a swing, then I guarantee your driving stats will improve. Ignore any other factors about your swing - get you set up correct first.

I like to think that driving the ball is the thing I do best on the course. I am fairly accurate, and long enough to play most courses. The biggest tip I have is to pick a small target, trust yourself and hit it. If you think too much, try to steer it into play, or control the shot, you are destined for the trees|lake|bunker|desert ect... You have hit hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of perfect drives on the range and course during your golfing career, so you know that they are in there. You just have to let them out. The swing happens way too fast to micro manage any part of it. I think that Ron Popiel said it best. Just set it and forget it!

https://youtu.be/tLq27iOW0R0

Do all the work before you take it back. During the swing, no thoughts, only a dial tone..  

Lots of good advice so I will go with my first impulse - there is no substitute for confidence and confidence comes from sound fundamentals honed by practice.

So, be sure that you have a driver that fits, take lessons, developed a sound pre shot routine that includes visualization and practice, practice, practice.

Yep.

All seem to be crux of the matter.

Set up, set up, set up, to include ball position, is the one thing I have seen all good drivers of the ball work on and master. Small target is a common denominator as well while that unrealized overswing is the killer that is most common too.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Aim small miss small

Totally agreed about the small target mentions in the last two posts. I even remember the round where I figured this out its so important.

• Like 2

A couple things that help me (some have been mentioned before):

- Tempo

- Consciously trying to ensure my face is looking at the target at impact (without any crazy manipulation)

- Shallowing my swing plane so that I return the club on the same angle as it was at address

The last one has been extremely tough and I'm still working on it.  But the times I've got it right have led to much much straighter drivers.

• Like 1

I am still searching desperately for driver help. I have major issues off the tee box.

I have started really concentrating on loading my weight and swing into my right heel. What I have noticed is that if I don't rush it my transition is much more smooth.

The biggest thing that has helped though is keeping my head behind the ball.

Well I'm off to hit some... the quest continues...

• Like 1

Lately it's starting with a semi-bowed left wrist as I begin my backswing. This helps me keep from flipping the club. I try to maintain that feeling all the way up, and then back down through contact.